New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [IC Thread] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

DM

A little village sits in a barren valley with hard, nigh useless earth that couldn't support even the most basic life. The peasants appear to eek out a horribly poor life of farming and hunting. No matter where you have come from, you have all found yourselves on the outskirts of this little hamlet. The sun has already sat, but a single two-story building sits with light pouring out the windows and the sounds of drinking and merriment come from inside. If you look around, you notice five other humanoids wandering into town from various directions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [IC Thread] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

After wandering for a bit in the mists, she finally emerged, quite disoriented. Stopping to get her bearings, she turned to her companion and said in a lightly self-mocking tone, "Well, Hymie, looks like we screwed up again!."

She stopped and crouched beside the dog, and said in a much sadder tone, "Yep, we really screwed up."

Tears came to her eyes, and she buried her face in the dog's fur. "Why do we even try? Every time we try to help or protect someone it blows up in our faces. It might have been better if we had died back in the village; at least no one else would have had to suffer because I'm a total screw-up.

"HE would have done better. HE would have saved them. If I could have traded my life for his ... ".

She trailed off as the tears ran down her cheeks. Hymie turned to her, gave a sympathetic whine, and licked her face. Then, suddenly, he turned and looked out into the distance excitedly, tail wagging.

"What is it, boy? What do you see?"

Looking into the distance, she finally saw the small hamlet, and what looked like an inn, judging by the lights. Her face lit up for an instant ... and then fell. "Looks like an inn. It might be nice to stay in an inn ... but then, maybe it'd be better if we just stayed on our own. We've got lots of food, and they'd probably be better off without ever meeting us.

"But ... they'll probably have some hot food available. A hot meal would be nice. A hot meal would be VERY nice."

After a moment's thought, she gave in to the demands of her stomach and said to Hymie, "Come on, boy, let's go get a warm meal". With a happy yelp, Hymie followed her to the door of the inn, and they both entered.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Bereter

From the south came a dashing young halfling with a cheery look in his eyes. He wore a nice turquoise coat with silver colored trim, and he had bright turquoise breeches that were tucked into his knee high boots. Beneath his coat could be seen a ruffled shirt. Resting upon his head was a wide brimmed hat with a large blue feather adorning it. His appearance couldn't couldn't possibly be a greater contrast to the bleak town that surrounded him.

Well, at least I've found civilization. I never thought my quest for art would take me here. I don't know if my training has prepared me for what I am about to face, but I pray to Lirr herself for the ability to master the art of art recovery.

Bereter began talking as he walked in the door. "Your band wouldn't happen to have need for the services of...wait, what the bleedin' hell is going on here?"
    Last edited by Rathgar; 2009-02-23 at 11:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Peter looked around into the darkness surrounding the hamlet suspiciously. He had been about to engage the orcs but now they, along with his companions, had suddenly disappeared. This could be an illusion of some sort cast by one of the enemy's shamans - there had been that strange mist beforehand.

Still, after a few minutes of looking around and closely examining the scenary and hamlet, Peter could detect nothing out of the ordinary save for the village's sudden appearance.

Sighing, Peter decided that the only way to settle this would be with further investigation. At this time of night, it also seemed that the only place to get answers was the lit-up inn.

Straightening his breastplate, Peter began to slowly walk towards the inn.
    I didn't actually intend to kill EVERYONE. It just sort of happened.

Threads I'm currently DMing:

Threads I have successfully completed:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Eldant (14/14)

A gray-robed figure wanders out of the shadows into the edge of town. Tilting its head in surprise, it reaches up and tugs back its hood, revealing shoulder length brown hair. The woman walks up to the inn and glances around before stepping inside. Better to rest here than out in that mist. Now to just find out where I am, she notes to herself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Lowering his hood over his face, the gnoll walks into the pub, seeing the horror inside, he resists the temptation to "have dinner", instead backing up and looking to those around him, checking his hood and saying "I didn't do this, I swear"
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-23 at 10:48 PM.
    Fox
    25 years of tabletops and cheetos
    Avid Roleplayer/Loquacious Dungeonmaster

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

The Inn

The inn is a mess of dark red stains, scattered chairs, tables and broken shot-glasses. Six tables lay strewn about in a chaotic mess. Four of them are broken into large jagged splinters while the other two are flipped over with deep dark red stains spreading out from beneath them in a wide circle. Each chair is a ruined mess, with most missing a leg or three and would be better re-purposed into kindling. A hastily scrawled message written in dark red paint--at least, you hope it's paint--is splashed across the far wall.

"East. Barovia."

Several human bodies with missing limbs are strewn about the floor in a haphazard manner. Several are gaunt looking, almost as if they had been there for quite some time, and many have maggots digging through their flesh. The only item of note is a bloody letter clutched in the deathgrip of a disembodied arm sitting on top of the bar. Luckily, several bottles of various beers and liquors are stacked up on one side of the room without damage to any of them.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Bereter

Walking in expecting to see something that matched the sounds of drinking and merriment he heard outside, Bereter was quite shocked to see what he saw. "I do say, what the blazes is going on here? My ears must be deceiving me, for I thought that perhaps there was the sound of a great deal of enjoyment here. I never thought that everybody would be singing in the invisible choir." The halfling looked around for a second to see if he could figure out what exactly had gone on here. "Is that a bloody note I spy? Let us see what is written upon it." Bereter then opened the letter and began to read it aloud.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexia Segovia

As Alexia entered the inn, Hymie's hackles rose and he gave out a low growl. Alexia's jaw dropped in shock and horror. "Wait, wha ...? B-b-but there was music. And voices. What's going on here?!?.

Then, mustering great force of will, she took a deep breath.

This isn't the time to panic, Alexia! Have to stay calm. HE'D stay calm. He always stayed calm. We'd face horrors like you've never seen before and all he'd do is draw his sword and charge ....

She seemed to feel his presence, somehow, even though she knew that was ridiculous. But she still felt better, and managed to calm down enough to study the room.

It was obvious that this hadn't happened tonight, unless that was another sort of illusion like the music and voices. That meant that it wasn't all that likely that any of the other people who had rather conveniently showed up in the inn were involved. Still, better not to take chances. She positioned herself with her back against a wall, and her hands gripped the hilts of her scimitar and dagger, ready to attack or defend if required.

As was usual for her, her fear quickly gave way to anger. If any of these had anything to do with this, they'll WISH they'd gotten the same treatment as these poor souls here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Covering his nose with his arm, why do they have to smell so fresh "The name is Grr'ark Ark'uroloau'aou" pausing for a moment "errr..honor to meet outsiders, shame it is in this situation, but this is Barovia." Walking over to the unscathed bottles, carefully avoiding the bodies, he one of them, smelling it carefully "Does not smell of poison....." Yes, anything to get the smell of meat out of my nose...anything
    Fox

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexia

After Grr'ark had introduced himself, Alexia blurted, "Ya got a preferred short form of that? I don't think I can remember all that, let alone pronounce it ...".

After Grr'ark had pronounced the bottles poison free, Alexia blurted again, "Well, that makes sense. Most poisons don't leave limbs hacked off to bloody stumps.".
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2009-02-24 at 10:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Starting to laugh and stopping quickly, "Ark works, and some poisons can cause a maddening rage. Homicidal delusional rage does tend to lead to this kind of chaos. Of course honestly I have no idea what those would smell like, but this smells like Vodka..." Taking a nervous sip from it, "Tastes like vodka too, but I guess you are going back to where you are from now. If you wish to fight whoever did this, I would gladly help, but anyone logical would get the hell out of here while they can."
    Fox

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Bereter

The halfling began to read the letter aloud.

"'Hail to thee of might and valor,
    "'I, lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. I plead for thy assistance within my community.
    "'Our village is nestled in the Svalich Woods, an ancient forest that has long lay quite with the weight of ages on its shoulders. But recent nights have brought the howl of wolves to our ears, and the night of the last full moon brought far worse out of the forest. Enormous wolves attacked with unnatural savagery, killing many of us and leaving many more wounded.
    "'The love of my life, my daughter Ireena Kolyana, was one of those wounded and I fear for her. Her injuries refuses our healing remdies, and she languishes abed.
    "'There is much weath in the community, and I offer it all to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt answer my summons. Come quickly, for I dread the rise of the next full moon!
    "'Kolyan Indirovich,
    "'Burgomeister'"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Giving a quizical look, "You found this here? To do this much damage and then ask for help? Why could he not ask one of these patrons instead of tearing them to tasty bits?" the last part slipping out as the smell of meat overcomes Ark, taking another small sip of the vodka, he lets his nose linger over the mouth, clensing his nose of the smell.
    Fox

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Celia Kristina

Celia stared bleakly into the window of the tavern, forcing herself to take in every wretched detail she saw. She flinched, looking away. A small sense of shame touched her, and then anger. Carnage on a battlefield was an aspect she had to know and accept. Every mercenary would have to. But she never wanted to become acquainted with this type of massacre. The people here were likely too poor to afford even a harsh word in their defence. Through the looking glass were many atrocities, and one of them was still alive.

Horrible,” she said, aghast. Her gaze broke away from the window and see took in all of the strangers around her. But it never left the chatty creature when she saw it. She was instantly reminded of what vile creatures the yellow-eyed gnolls were.

Fiend.”

Any fatigue she had felt from the march fled her, and all the anger she felt guided her. The long sword was drawn from her side and she put her helm on, signifying she saw her environment as entirely hostile. He didn't do this, she thought briefly. Not recently. No scratches or bloodstains marked him, and maggots now invested the dead. But these were only signs that the slaughter happened hours ago.

Now between the door and the creature's freedom, she spat, “Poison? Is that your excuse, butcher?”

Her eyes glared at the creature in outrage.

My mind will not be toyed with, and I will not be easy prey! Stupid beast, you're going to rue ever returning for a snack!

Shield raised, she advanced on the hyena-humanoid-hybrid with lethal intent.

Auras In Effect:

Spoiler
    Show

Force of Will: Celia was tricked by an illusion and isn't going to be toyed with again.

Hardy Soldiers: The “butcher” before her killed all these people. And Celia's angry because of it. She fully intends to add another body to the pile, but doesn't intend for it to be her own.

I'm currently unfriendly-bordering-on-openly-hostile towards ixious, but I'm neutral to the rest of you. I'm guessing no one else is affected by these auras then (they affect only my “allies”)? I think this is a DM call until the party starts putting each other in their good books.

ixious (or anyone else that wants to know why I wrote this):

Spoiler
    Show
    Chaotic Evil Monster + Horribly Killed People = ???

You're playing a race that's normally chaotic evil, of all things, and known to like eating intelligent creatures because they scream more. Combine that with a soldier that underwent paladin training by Heironeous' followers, and I can't see it not becoming quickly hostile in this kind of scenario.

Anyway, I'm only “advancing”. I haven't attacked. I'm not keen on attacking or being attacked by another player, despite this post. You can easily try diplomacy still. I put 9 ranks into Sense Motive for a reason and I don't intend for them to go to waste.

But just as easily we can fight. I'll use non-lethal damage in that case, but make it seem as though my intent is to kill anyway. Which...in character...it is. At least until I think you're not responsible. Although what wacky mistrust will build from there, if not open hostility between us, I don't know.

Probably best if someone doesn't interfere for this. Take the side of “the monster”, and “you're clearly under the effect of the illusionist that earlier got us all”, but if they take my side, I'd expect whoever does to stay out of it, or help slay the problem.

Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dropping the vodka bottle and covering his face as she advances, the pitch of Ark's voice approaches ear-splitting high "Ididn'tdothisohgodspleasedon'thurtme" taking a step back, peeking out from his raised arms, he puts an overturned table between the two of them, and calms a bit, still talking fast and high, but not painful "There is too much flesh for this to be gnolls, we don't waste this much err...ehh...person, please believe me. They will kill me just as freely as they kill you if they find me, and pick my bones clean. I left my pack. There is plenty of dead mea...plenty of ways for my kind to live without being bad to everyone around. It is horrible things like that that make me proud to say I didn't do it, i don't want to do it. I also can say without a shadow of a doubt, my kind didn't either. He doesn't feed us, so if it was him, you would see bones, not people." Covering his face again, he is shaking.

Spoiler
    Show

His diplomacy is crap both on sheet and in character, do not expect him to talk his way out of it, just to keep endlessly talking. The "him" he is referring to is one of the packmasters appointed by "someone" to tell the gnoll packs where to strike. Also gnolls are extremely lawful by 3.5, it's 4.0 they go a little nuts. :-p

Diplomacy (only to see how well he conveys his ideas)
    (d20)[20]

Will: DC is 10..just a simple and easy roll to decide if he is still struggling to avoid eating a corpse, he is very very hungry....
    (d20+7)[11]

Total Defense , so
    AC: 23
    HP 43

He can take hits, but do not expect him to fight back, it is taking every ounce of will to not go buffet-style, so he is not going to risk trying to fight you off and possibly do something he views as bad...like eat you....

Fox

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Peter Bevonte

Moving towards the inn, Peter initially ignores the other figures in the dark, figuring them for locals or people he could talk to while in the bright light of the inn. There he would be able to examine their features more closely, and therein derive the truth to their existence or not, as well as what manner of denizen they were in this unexpected place Peter now found himself. Nonetheless suspicious of dark shapes moving in the same directions as him, Peter slowed to allow them entry into the inn first.

Nearing the front of the inn, Peter watches as the female warrior puts on her helm and draws her sword. Whatever was going on inside evidently belied its calm appearance from the outside. Fumbling with his own weapon, Peter gathered the heavy links of twisted chain from his belt, keeping the weapon still rolled up in his hand for the moment. Then, he lumbered up into a jog, crossing the remainning distance to the inn in only a few seconds before crashing through the ajar door.

Although Peter had been expecting trouble, he had anticipated nothing like this. For a few moments he simply glances around at the horrific scenary and others already present, somewhat dumbfounded. Although he was familiar with the horrors of war and the depravities of the undead, scenes of absolute carnage and slaughter never got easier to witness. The unexplainable presence of the others here, including a gnoll of all things, only added to the insanity.

And there, messily written on the wall as the capstone to the whole mad affair was that name - "Barovia". And of course Peter had never heard that name used in any other context except in reference to the fabled land of his ancestors. Which was only further proof that this was an illusion likely beyond the orc shamans, if it had began to include references from Peter's mind. A dream seemed the only possibility now - Peter refused to even consider the idea that this was something worse, a final test for his soul after perishing in battle against the orcs.

But whatever this was, certain considerations had to be addressed first - namely the conflict between the woman and the gnoll. Now unfurling his chain the rest of the way, Peter swings the end down against the floor near his feet, making a cackling Crack! as the metal links crash against the wooden floor. Hopefully, the sound would get the two's attention.

"You desire justice ma'am, to see this slaughter avenged? I feel likewise, though I admit to having just gotten here, and so have a lack of knowledge as to the specifics of what happened here."

Peter shoots a glance at the gnoll, eyeing him in consideration.

"Judging by your shouts a moment ago, I take it that you hold this beast responsible. I am not as convinced - I've never met a gnoll stupid enough to return to the scene of carnage alone. He also seems very convinced he didn't do it."

Peter's eyes turn to the others present, an amused smile crossing his face.

"Unless you wish to consider the rest of us his packmates, in which case why aren't you already dead? As further evidence, allow me to attest that I saw several of these people approaching the inn from different directions, and that now in the light I recognize none of them. Which is another curiousity that all of us would stumble in here at the same time, to discover this."

For a moment Peter shakes his head in disbelief at all the evidence that suggests this was some sort of dark dream, but he then forces himself to focus again.

"So, we each came from different directions. It is possible that the gnoll has his friends back wherever he came from. He could not have done all of this alone. If you are willing to wait on passing sentance until tomorrow ma'am, I could ask the Great Saint to bless me with the gift of forcing liars to speak true. Then we can question the gnoll fully, and be assured that his words are truth."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20)[1] (Maybe an aid another roll for Grr'ark?)
    Or not, depending on how he feels about being put on trial tomorrow with a Zone of Truth running.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ark, gnawing slightly on the palms of his paws, keeping his eyes closed, replies "I am afraid us staying here that long, but if you wish me bound until tomorrow, just please take me with you, be it to fulfil this request, or leaving this land. I will agree to whatever magic you need to do to me to prove I didn't do this, I WOULDN'T do this.....anymore" A small drip of blood from his left paw hits the ground.

His paws still in a defensive stance, he brings away from his muzzle and puts them together mimicking submission to being bound. "I have rope at my waist. It should be more than enough, as long as we plan on leaving here immediately."
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-24 at 01:48 PM.
    Fox

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Celia Kristina

Celia hesitated. She expected snarls and scratches, not cowering. She wanted to excuse this as him being caught away from his tribe. The thought of fighting alone surely filled him with dread. Painstakingly, though, she paused, and considered his plea. Her blue eyes burned, but still she listened, if only because the creature had positioned himself behind a table. But his words sounded genuine and doubt crept into her mind. Reluctantly, she lowered her sword, never sheathing it, but showing that her immediate intention wasn't to attack anymore.

Reflexively she fell into a defensive position as a loud clank dragged her attention away from the gnoll. Inside the doorway was a blonde fighter. The man was less iron clad than herself but just as well-armed. A chain was in what might be a readied position, though she doubted the challenger could use it to any effect in such a confined space.

His exotic weapon of choice, however, still whispered of a warrior with either great expertise or arrogance. Not many could skilfully wield such a strange weapon. She took her time giving greater consideration to her being in a position to be flanked by the gnoll, and his potential sympathiser, than to the weight of the blonde's words.

Celia nodded uneasily to the monster, realizing she was in a precarious position.

I believe you,” she said, slowly, to the animal. “If only because the letter shifts blame from your tracks. But this abomination needs answering. Gnoll, you've spoken as though this place is familiar to you. Take me to Barovia. Leave the rope at your side; I won't be binding you. The sun has fallen and something vicious stalks the night. You may need all your limbs free. But at all times, I want you in front of me, and clearly visible.”

She stared then at the man that still covered her only exit, her gaze having left him earlier but her shield still ready against any would-be attack.

I don't need any god to give me a handout,” she responded icily. “And if you don't step away from the door, and let the gnoll and myself pass, you'll pin all of us inside a room of rotting bodies. When there are wolves abound that may have done this, you're putting all of us in danger. Make way.

She glanced back at the halfling and the other girl that had said little during the exchange. Sincerely she said, “Any civilians among us are free to travel with me. Until we make it to the township, I'll protect those who I can from whatever threats we may come across.”

Turning back to the man, she said, “And to any warriors with us, do as you will. But I don't need to say your chances alone may be lacking. Consider my offer and act quickly. I will not linger further in this place.”

ixious:

Spoiler
    Show
    You rolled a 20, so it seems you're more diplomatic than you thought. No reason for her not to believe you.

Check out the Monster Manual (page 130). They're listed as “usually chaotic evil.” Even this site mentions it. But that only speaks that much better for your character: he basically went from being apart of a brutal race to being a pretty upstanding individual. Which no one is going to believe easily (I don't even know if your own character believes it), but hurting you would only hurt Barovia's chances against Evil. So it's always a good thing if we can find reasons to work together, even if it might be an uphill battle.
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2009-02-24 at 04:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Nodding his head slowly and lowering his arms. "I think all of us not leaving this land need to go together if we are helping this..person. It isn't safe beyond this point, and Svalich Woods is far from safe, day or night."

Sounding much more solemn "I am still a bit concerned us heading to help someone that destroyed all these...people..so easily. Lycanthropy is a horrible disease, I do not even know if any of you could help them. If the being carrying this message was infected, then the whole village by now might be infected. We arn't very safe right now either"

For the first time, Ark lowers his hood, looking repulsed at the bodies. "All Gnolls have tasted tainted flesh before, the poison in their bodies right now is strong enough to bring the near-dead back to life with more rage and malice than the strongest of my kind, so either we further desecrate these bodies, beheading all of them, or we get out of here.....now."

Spoiler
    Show

Disregard((((((((Knowledge: Barovia Assuming I am an expert in the field (8)
    (d20+8)[16])))))))))/Disregard

And no more will-saves to not go muchie munchie! Even he is not hungry enough to eat possibly magical-disease tainted meat
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-24 at 04:31 PM.
    Fox

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Eldant (14/14)

Having seized up at the gory sight that had awaited them all inside the inn, Eldant was largely ignorant of the exchange between the armored woman and the gnoll until her shock was disrupted by the sound of the chain striking the floor. Looking up from a particularly gory piece of person, she jumped slightly upon seeing the gnoll for the first real time, but quickly reasoned that nobody else seemed that alarmed of him, at least anymore.

At the general offer of escort, Eldant nodded, "A-aye. I do not relish traveling alone with something of this ferocity in the mist."

Turning her back squarely to the gory inn scene, she takes the advice of the numerous others and walks out the door once it is not blocked.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: [IC Thread] Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Outside

Outside is more of the same. You still see the light coming from the windows and still hear the sounds of merriment coming from inside despite having seen what lies behind the inn's wooden walls.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the situation resolved for the moment, Peter nods at the woman. He bristles at her casual mention of his blessings as "handouts", but keeps a close rein on his own temper. There had been enough argument here already. Reeling the chain back in and beginning to coil it back up, Peter steps aside from the doorway.

"Of course. It would be best to discuss our plans outside or anywhere in less gruesome surroundings. Before we leave here, either seperately or together, we should check the surrounding buildings for survivors. We should also look to giving these poor souls their last rites."

Peter looks around at the butchered bodies with barely concealed disgust and outrage. "Given their state it may be difficult to offer them all burial, and time consuming to dig graves for them all. Perhaps we could burn this defiled building to the ground as a grand pyre for all their souls."

Peter finishes coiling his chain, settling it back onto his belt before following out any who leave the inn at this time.

"I also would not put a great deal of trust in the contents of that letter." He cautions.

"We have no proof that letter was not simply left by whoever - or whatever - did what we witnessed inside, perhaps in an attempt to distract anyone who discovered the wreckage. Furthermore, didn't that letter mention Barovia?" Peter gives a derisive snort.

"If so, that letter is nothing more than an ill joke. It might as well have been saying 'Greetings from Horseland, Land of the Talking Mules.' Barovia is no more real than that - it is a painfully obvious attempt to lead us on a wild goose chase in the wrong direction." Peter said, in an effort to re-emphasize his previous point about the letter's true purpose.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Chuckling, increasing in pitch til he manages to get hold of himself, "Barovia, not real? Where do you think I am from traveler? You are already in his domain, just the edge of it. If we follow the instructions of the letter, we will be heading toward the heart of it. Lycanthropy, Demonic Anthromorphs, Messages written in blood? If these are common beyond the mist" pointing west and getting serious, "then all the hopes and dreams of these people are naught. We assume that outside Barovia the world is not a daily strain against murder, theft, and the undead just to survive. The streets of your home do not run with beasts like myself, I hope. Please tell horrors such as this are not common beyond the mist, please!" Ark looks on the edge of tears ""All the good people here live for is the hope things arn't supposed to be like this, if you did not come here to make it better, please go back home. If you will believe the stories of Barovia, and find them horrible, I will believe the stories of a world outside here, and dream." Ears lowered, he waits longingly for "the outsiders" to respond.
    Fox

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexia

The entire shouting match over whether or not the gnoll had done it or been part of a group of gnolls that had done it passed a bit too quickly for Alexia to even think to intervene. Besides, she wasn't sure who she wanted to stab. So far, the gnoll seemed like the most reasonable of the three, if a bit cowardly. The halfling seemed practical, at least, but she wasn't sure if any of these people were worth staking her life on.

Then again, maybe it WAS too dangerous to go on alone ...

To the group, she said, "No, Barovia's very, very, real, and pretty much about as pleasant as Ark says. I haven't been there myself, but I've heard stories from pretty reliable sources about it. It's not really a place that you want to visit.".

"But I have another question: why are we assuming that the person who brought the letter killed all these people? I mean, I'm not all that good at all this deduction stuff, but isn't it more likely that these people were killed by someone who DIDN'T want to have help arrive at the village? Or what am I not seeing?".
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2009-02-24 at 07:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Celia Kristina

Celia went outside only to find others chatting about trivialities. She ignored her first instinct, assuming that the discussion was keeping them calm and better left untroubled. But the misleading sounds of merriment still coming from the building made a mockery of the people that were murdered inside. Feeling her patience grating, she resisted her want to get a stool and shove it through the window in the hope of puncturing the spell. It was unlikely to put an end to those false sounds and lights.

Turning away from her work, she looked suspiciously to the black-furred hyena. An odd creature, she thought.

It looked like the typical savage of its kind, being over a foot taller than herself, although her anger and his cowering had hide that earlier. But this was a different breed of animal so far. The sheer hopefulness of the creature cowed her, and its intentions to clear this realm of supernatural threats and his own kind confused her. She sheathed her sword uneasily, but her hand never left the hilt.

Shifting uneasily when it appeared the beast might have been on the border of crying, the girl insisted in a surprisingly gentle tone, “Yes, yes. The land beyond the mists is much as you imagine it. And I am here now to help your realm.”

She smiled certainly.

But to do so, I'll need your knowledge. You said this entire village could be infected with lycanthropy: We can't ignore that. If we leave it alone, someone else may get attacked by them, even if we get away.”

Celia refused to remind anyone that an ordinary wolf could also outrun a human. It would point towards her fear that even if they left now, a pack of werewolves showing up at their backs would likely overtake them.

Is beheading the only way to stop them from turning? Or would burning the bodies work?”

Her attention was directed then to the chain-fighter that apparently placed his faith in an uncaring god.

Warrior,” she spoke respectfully to the blonde man, but frustration thumbed her voice. “You spoke of sweeping this town for survivors. Go and do so now, before someone bleeds to death. I advise you take help with you. For all we know, if you go alone and start screaming for help, it'll sound like birdsong in the background.”

She grimaced at the thought of it, but continued in the commanding tone, “I'll wait so that any survivors you find can be brought along with me to this mystery town of ours. I tell you now, if I hear one mumbled prayer while I wait, I'm leaving you and anyone you find behind. I will not let you hold up the living while you bless the dead. But I wouldn't mind making this place into a giant pyre if it keeps any problems in check.”

Straightening herself, she came to the more crowd that was filled with the meeker sorts, or at least those that said less.

I know these delays sound excessive, but I assure all of you, anyone that comes with me is going to be leaving soon. If you'd like to speed things up here, you can help the search for survivors. Although I can tell from the calm you've all shown that each of you is tougher than you might know, don't go alone. Regardless of what you choose to do, I'd advise you all keep their mind keen. This mockery,” she gestured to the tavern, “suggests an illusionist may have had a hand in all this.”

Summary (because long posts are a pain to read sometimes):

Spoiler
    Show

ixious: Celia says to the gnoll that the world is like he imagines, and that they need to stop the bodies before they become werewolves. She asks if burning the bodies would work to stop that from happening.

Inspectre: She tells Peter that if he wants to search for survivors, he should do so now. In a compromise of sorts, she's willing to wait for anyone he might find, but says she is going to leave him and anyone he finds behind if she hears him giving the dead their rites when there are more pressing issues. But she wouldn't mind burning the bodies if that counts.

Everyone else: She doesn't say anything specific to any of you, but as a group, she mentions that if you want to speed things up you should help search for survivors.

Not that what she says matters. Do what your characters would. I'm just trying to keep the game flow moving.

Aura Update:

Spoiler
    Show
    You might decide to come with her, or head in the opposite direction, but in her mind it doesn't matter right now. Everyone of the PCs within 60 feet of her get the effects of her auras for now. Even our odd gnoll that she doesn't trust.

Force of Will: Keeping your mind sharp.

Hardy Soldiers: Because you're all tougher than you look.
    Last edited by Paramour Pink; 2009-02-25 at 12:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexia

Alexia had a short fuse at the best of times, and these certainly weren't the best of times. All the pre-emptory commands of the one woman and her generally being ignored finally caused her to snap.

"And who died and made you the Grand Pooba? I mean, we don't even know each other's NAMES yet, and you somehow think that we're all gonna follow you two minutes after you threaten to KILL one of us because you don't like him? Right now, I'm more inclined to listen to what Ark says because at least I've got a way to address him other than 'Yo, arrogant, stuck-up, bossy lady'!

"Now, I'll admit that I'm not always the best at any of this planning stuff, but even _I_ know that HAVING one beyond 'Let's stumble out into the dark and hope nothing eats us' is better than not having one. If we're going to search for survivors, don't ya think it'd be better to know who's good for doing that? Don't you think it'd be better to have as many clues as possible before deciding what to do, such as whether we should head FOR Barovia or AWAY from it? Or if we should even go anywhere tonight at all?

"Can we PLEASE just take a couple of minutes so that we can ALL have a say in what we're going to do, instead of us all running around like chickens with our heads cut off? If you really think that we have a better chance of survival as a group, don't you think that getting us to agree to come along is pretty important?"

As she finished, she started the woman directly in the eyes in a bit of a challenge.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Peter frowns in confusion as the gnoll firmly confirms the existence of Barovia, followed by another of the women atesting to Barovia's existence.

"Hmmm . . . perhaps it was the founder who had a sense of humor then." Peter mutters, trying to work through this sudden explosion of madness into his previously fairly simple (and quite possibly about to be cut short) life.

At the other woman's outburst, Peter does his best to hide his amused grin by scratching his nose. When she is finished, Peter inclines his head towards her.

"I agree with her - rushing headlong into a situation like this is foolhardy. We have no reliable information outside the fact that many people were brutally murdered inside that inn, there is an illusion surrounding the building, and someone wants us to go to . . . Barovia."

Speaking the name himself felt like a betrayal, and Peter paused for a moment before turning back to the other woman.

"In any case, introductions are needed. My name is Peter Bevonte ma'am, what is yours?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Straightening up, regaining some of his confidence, Ark speaks, slowly and carefully. "To answer your questions, East is Barovia, East is the Forest the letter directs. I am here because there was rumor among the sages* that 'hope comes from the west' so I began heading this way, and somehow ended up here. As for my skills, everything you may have seen my kind do against you, I can do for you. If you are the heroes the sages* spoke of, it will be my highest honor to help you fulfill your destinies." Pausing for a moment "But, burning the bodies is the best course of action, as for survivors, it is better you kill a survivor than let them live as a werewolf in his service." Solemnly, ""Burning is a horrible way to die, so I can help look for survivors, but if they have a single scratch on them, We need to kill them."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Sages" to him are the insane crying women on the streets who likely are ALWAYS shouting that "hope comes from the west", that and talking to 5 day old biscuits about the weather...again...he is nieve. He goes from serving whatever dark forces to "the good side" and believes that the women crying on the corner are prophesying.

Also, what are these auras, is there a list somewhere of them so I can make sure my saves are up to date in case we "find any survivors" >.>
    Last edited by ixious; 2009-02-25 at 11:49 AM.
    Fox

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alexia

OOC - Assuming Peter meant me, and not Celia.

IC - "Alexia Segovia; DON'T call me 'Alex'. And this is Hymie. And since we've already got Ark's name and preferred short form, what's YOUR name?" Alexia said, pointedly directing her question at the arrogant woman.
    Last edited by Daimbert; 2009-02-25 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Forgot the dog!