New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: sleepy's game

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: sleepy's game

The bandit dodges away from the sound of snapping jaws as Artigine swoops in behind him. Hileon's axe catches in the leather straps on his back as he pulls it free, throwing the sweeping arc that follows off balance. His target rolls beneath it with uncanny agility, and hearing the encouragement of the Spirit Speaker behind him, brings his short blade up at Hileon's thigh as he rises.

Faern hurls one of his too-warm acorns on the run as he advances to his new position. His aim proves true, and as the incongruous weapon slaps into the dirty man's face, sudden flames lick up, catching in his greasy hair and sloughing off the skin of his cheeks. The man unleashes a piercing shriek in his moment of final torment, the fire spreading throughout his entire body at impossible speed, and then the living torch seems to fly apart in all directions by the will of the haunting flames. Surrounding the blackened scar in the earth where the man had been standing, tiny tongues of magic fire still singe the grass. One unlucky soul, standing amidst them, begins to pray hysterically.

The javelineers each pull a fresh weapon from their leather case and dash forward from their vantage points; the speed of their short sprint adds weight to the flight of their missiles. Again they target their foes' center, recognizing the developing threat to their leader. As they recover from their toss they agilely flow back into safer position.

Spoiler
    Show
    action breakdown:

on Hileon's turn, P11 shifts to Q10 as an immediate reaction
    the Spirit Speaker grants Q10 a free attack as an immediate reaction

the toughs each take a minor action to draw a javelin
    move actions to Q4 and T14
    standard actions to throw at Hileon and then move to T6 and W12

targetting Hileon vs AC:

(1d20+5)[8]
    (four damage)

(1d20+6)[26]
    (2d6+2)[7]
    edit: that's a crit, so 14 damage

(1d20+6)[16]
    (2d6+2)[9]

Initiative Order:

*spirit speaker
    Hileon
    Faern
    *toughs
    Haemon <<<
    *rabble
    Thyreus

Last edited by sleepy; 2009-04-15 at 07:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since the guy shifted away on my turn, I'll use the move command,
    Move(Hileon):Shift to Q9
    Move(Artigine):Shift to Q11
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #63

Spoiler
    Show
    map updated

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Haimon dashes into the center of the cloud, and, with his greatspear, distracts the man between Hileon and Artigine, as he shouts to his Jussian ally:
    "Soldier, put yourself together!"
    As the Rabble dodges his feint, Haimon shouts again:
    "Surround him, now!"
    With this, he sets a flank with Hileon and attacks with a greatspear thrust.

Spoiler
    Show
    Haimon HP: 34/34 Bloodied: 17 HS: 8 (0/8)
    AC: 18 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 15

-Move Action: goes to O11, avoiding AoO.
    -Minor Action: Inspiring Word to Hileon - (1d6+7)[12]
    -Standard Action: "Wolf pack tactics" shifts Hileon to R9 and sets a flank to attack: cloud -2, concealment -2, flanking +2 => (1d20+7)[19] and damage (1d10+5)[7]

-If the attack hits-
    Haimon shouts to Hileon:
    "Let Faern and Thyreus take the rest of them here, let's get the shaman!"

5. - Top - End - #65

Hileon easily avoids the sneaky bandit's thrust, and doesn't flinch as one of the toughs' javelins sails harmlessly wide to make a slithering sound as it swishes through the grass. However, his best efforts are for nought, as the other takes the massive Jussian in the hip, sinking to the bone. He cries out as his leg gives out from under him, stumbling and crashing to one knee.

Haimon's booming voice, signalling his re-emergance from behind the rocks, is an encouraging sound, however, and the dark-skinned warrior rips the javelin free as his confidence surges. He lunges to his feet, swooping past his pitiful opponent with the motion. The wild-eyed man turns to face him only to take Haimon's greatspear in the back. The leaf-shaped blade slips between his ribs to sink into his lung. Thick, bubbling blood erupts from his mouth as his eyes roll back.

On the west flank, the fires of Faern's acorn find the man in their midst, licking up his legs and catching in his clothes. He dives for the ground, hysterical prayers reaching new and desperate volume as he thrashes and beats at the hungry flames. Much of their fury has dispersed, and the bandit's rolling about in the dirt is able to quench them, but he remains on the ground, a pitiful ball of skinless flesh and racking sobs.

The remaining lackey, having witnessed all the rest of his ilk cut to pieces in a matter of seconds, whirls around his boulder and takes off at a dead sprint, vanishing behind the grass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Haimon: you don't get a flank from that square, but you hit nonetheless.

action breakdown:
    Faern's zone triggers in N9
    O13 makes a Run action to H15, and a second takes him to A17, where he exits the map with 1 square of movement remaining

Initiative Order:

*spirit speaker
    Hileon
    Faern
    *toughs
    Haemon
    *rabble
    Thyreus <<<

Last edited by sleepy; 2009-04-15 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot de map

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Faern Armahad, Dwarven Skinchanger

Watching the last of the rabble flee or die, Faern turns to Thyreus and shouts, "Thyreus, charge the leader! It'll be our one chance of hitting him before he disappears in the mist. I'll distract the human on the right"

Spoiler
    Show
    Faern is refering to the west-most guy - to his right
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"YOU GOT IT!" Thyreus barks. He looks at the leader and dashes towards him, hammer raised.

"HEY YOU! YOU'RE GOING DOWN!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge, with a Howling Strike as the attack.
    Attack: (1d20+10)[20]
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-04-15 at 07:13 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

8. - Top - End - #68

Thyreus dashes across the battlefield and leaps up the rocky slope with the powerful agility of his people. The startled spirit speaker lunges backward in retreat, barely saving his face from complete obliteration, but he is not fast enough. The mordenkrad glances off his shoulder, and you see his arm spasm as nerves are ground in splintered bone.

The spirit speaker retreats before the chill wake of the mace, gesturing with his totem as he backpedals. The green cloud rolls in and over him and Thyreus, granting a comforting ambiguity of silhouette to the lank-haired bandit and a raw throat to the barbarian. He utters again in the unknown language, a hissing, spitting string of syllables, and makes as if to throw his totem at Thyreus. The chimes clatter, sparking purple bursts of energy, and a crackling ball of bright, electric power detatches from the totem, blurring straight towards Thyreus' eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thyreus: the spirit speaker has cover from that square, but you still hit. I rolled a 13 for damage for you in the OOC thread; go ahead and roll damage whenever you roll to attack, right underneath. We'll just ignore it if you miss. Again, please specify the square you're charging to. I know there's only 1 you can pick, but just so I'm sure we're all on the same page.

A pre-emptive note to Haimon: I absolutely cannot stand 4e's geometry-defying insistance that 5 feet up + 5 feet forward = 5 feet. So if you were thinking of attacking the spirit speaker from T9, I'm gonna say no, that's almost 15 feet according to all sane calculations. Sorry.

action breakdown:
    spirit speaker takes a move action to shift to V10
    a minor to recenter the cloud
    and a standard to attack Thyreus

targetting Thyreus vs Fort
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (2d6+1)[10] damage, and you are blinded (save ends) if it hits

Initiative Order:

*spirit speaker
    Hileon <<<
    Faern
    *toughs
    Haemon
    *rabble
    Thyreus

Last edited by sleepy; 2009-04-16 at 08:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

A growl emanates from the rock where Faern is taking cover. The growl grows in volume, and suddenly a full grown wolf jumps out, and runs towards the slope. Reaching the edge of the greenish cloud, he stops, raises his muzzle and howls a challenge at the spear man.

The challenge in the howl is unmistakable, and the man, shaken, runs in anger towards his challenger, against his better sense, overridden by the sheer anger.

Spoiler
    Show

Note: I'm unlikely to be able to post this afternoon. I don't want to stop the game, so I'm posting now. If my actions conflict with Hileon's (unlikely, he's got a clear shot at boss guy), I'll repost when I can.

HP 35/35 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /11)
    AC 19 Fort 16 Reflex 16 Will 17

Minor: change into beast form
    Move: move to P7
    Standard: Cull the Heard @ T6. Wisdom vs Will
    To Hit - (1d20+5)[24] (includes -2 due to concealment)
    Damage - (2d8+5)[17]
    If it hits, he gets pulled to Q6
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-04-16 at 08:01 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Hileon

Hileon and Artigine pass Thyreus as they run up the slope, aiming for the shaman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hileon HP 20/31 Bloodied 15 Healing Surge 7 (1 used/8)
    AC 18 Fort 17 Reflex 13 Will 16

Artigine HP 22/30 Bloodied 15 Healing Surge 7 (0 used/2)
    AC 17 Fort 14 Reflex 14 Will 12

Move Command:
    Move (Hileon): Move to U11
    Move (Artigine): Move to U12.
    Minor action: Declare the Shaman as my Quarry.
    Standard Action: Attack the Shaman with Circling Strike, with Artigine shifting to V12.
    STR -4(Concealment and cloud) vs. AC
    Attack-(1d20+4)[11]
    Damage-(1d12+5)[6]+(2d6)[5]

11. - Top - End - #71

Hileon's powerful arm points to the shaman above with a growl, and Artigine rushes up the slope beside him, dodging past Thyreus as the barbarian reels back but fails to shake the purple sparks from his eyes. Artigine moves to corner the spirit speaker, but Hileon's ankle turns on the rocky slope, sending his axe wide. Their quarry backpedals before they can recover, wanting as much space between himself the enormous duo as possible.

Faern withdraws briefly behind his boulder and turns his mind inwards, mentally blocking the sickening creak of his bones wrenching themselves into new shapes as he has trained himself to do. It is over in a heartbeat, and his black nails sink into the sod as he tears back into the fight on all fours. His canine challenge rings in his target's mind, compelling him with an irresistable force. The tough dashes toward the black wolf, echoes of the howl still savaging his thoughts.

He seems to recover his wits as he reaches Faern, turning his charge aside at the last moment as to reach the level ground, and a spear less suited for throwing comes whipping out of his leather case. He circles with the motion and sends a two-handed thrust at the wolf still awkwardly positioned on the rocky slope.

On the east plateau, the other tough draws a similar weapon, stepping between the Talme warriors and the leader of his band. He too takes advantage of his foe's inferior footing, opting to ignore the better positioned drake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hileon: you can't move diagonally around a corner, so Artigine would have to go to U11 in order to end at V12 after circling strike. This is still possible if you end your move at U10 instead of U11, so that's where I've put you. I hope that's fine.

action breakdown:
    on Hileon's turn, the spirit speaker shifts to W11 as an immediate reaction

toughs each take a minor action to draw their spears
    Q6 shifts to Q7, W12 shifts to V11
    they each make a melee attack, targetting Faern and Hileon. Since you're each on slope, they have combat advantage against you.

Faern vs AC:
    (1d20+8)[22]
    (1d8+3)[6]

Hileon vs AC:
    (1d20+8)[26]
    (1d8+3)[10]

Initiative Order:

*spirit speaker
    Hileon
    Faern
    *toughs
    Haemon <<<
    *rabble
    Thyreus

12. - Top - End - #72

HalflingRangerGuy

Looking at the battle getting thicker, Haimon seeks for an indirect approach. Circling the boulder between him and his enemies, he sprints up the slope and goes further, stoping at the edge of the blinding cloud and, with a shout, thrusts his spear at the shaman.
    "You're not walking out of here, bitch!"

Spoiler
    Show

-move action to S14
    -standard action: charge to V13 and attacks the shaman - concealment - 2 (1d20+8)[24]
    damage: (1d10+5)[10] plus (1d8)[8]

13. - Top - End - #73

Spoiler
    Show
    the spirit speaker is now bloodied. I should have mentioned after Faern's attack that his tough is also bloodied. No rabble left, Thyreus, you're up.

In case you're not sure, you can still attack while blinded, but it's a -5 penalty. You're not everything-is-dark blind, you're ahh-my-burning-eyes blind. Remember to roll your saving throw :)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Thyreus's mordenkrad chills the shaman's arm, but the ball of electricity hits him full in the face and he roars out in pain.

"DAMMIT! I CAN'T SEE!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage to the shaman: The 13 damage that sleepy rolled. Note that it's cold damage since Thyreus has his mordenkrad activated.

Damage to Thyreus: 10 lightning damage, and Thyreus is blinded.

I tried rolling the damage in my other post, but I entered it wrong, and they don't allow you to add them in edit.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-04-16 at 01:41 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Thyreus stumbles forward, swinging his hammer blindly at the tough in front of the shaman.

"JUST BECAUSE I CAN'T SEE DOESN'T MEAN I CAN'T CRUSH YOU!"

Spoiler
    Show

Saving Throw: (1d20+4)[5]

Attack: Recuperating Strike taking into account the blinding, (1d20+4)[12]

If it hits...

Damage: (2d5+7)[3][2](12) cold damage, and Thyreus gains 2 temporary hit points.

16. - Top - End - #76

Spoiler
    Show
    so I can draw the map correctly:

acrobatics (1d20+3)[11]

17. - Top - End - #77

Spoiler
    Show
    actually I'm going to have to roll the immediate action attack from Thyreus' miss before I know what will happen on the spirit speaker's turn. Sorry for serial posting.

targetting Hileon vs AC:
    (1d20+8)[28]
    (1d8+3)[11]

edit: a crit, and natural max damage besides. I believe this puts you at -3
    Last edited by sleepy; 2009-04-17 at 11:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Thyreus steps up the slope and swings wildly, the bellowing barbarian no less intimidating for his inability to see. Indeed, though the hammer flails wide of its mark and the sparks continue to fill his eyes with flashes of purple-white, the wounded spirit speaker blanches at the approach of the powerful man.

The battle-hardened tough is unflinching, however, and pounces on Hileon's loss of balance as he ducks Thyreus' reckless swing. He drives his spear home, sinking the tip into Hileon's gut. Hileon's roar of pain wavers toward the end, and he crashes to the ground.

"More shall fall! Lay down your arms!" cries the spirit speaker in a rasping voice as he steps away from Artigine and beckons for the cloud. Hissing again in the tongue of his magic, the purple sparks flash in the chimes of his totem once more. With Thyreus blind and Hileon collapsed, he unleashes the hex on Artigine with a crack of electrical energy. All around, green whorls swoop like leaping fish as the cloud and its' horrid faces billow up-wind unnaturally.

Spoiler
    Show
    action breakdown:

the spirit speaker gives the tough a free attack as an immediate reaction to Thyreus' miss, which he takes against Hileon. See the rolls above; 11 damage.

On his turn, the spirit speaker shifts to X11
    spends a minor to recenter the cloud
    and attacks Artigine

targetting Artigine vs Fort
    (1d20+7)[10]
    (2d6+1)[6] and Artigine is blinded (save ends)

...how do saving throws and pets work? I'll go re-read that section...

As a reminder to Hileon, while you are unconscious, Artigine must move as far as he can towards you choosing the safest route possible. Once he reaches an adjacent square, he can act independantly with a full action set. With a shift and a run action, he can make it to T10 this turn without provoking any opportunity attacks. Or, if you don't want him to grant combat advantage from running, you can have him attempt the acrobatics check to run downhill at full speed.

Initiative Order:

*spirit speaker
    Hileon <<<
    Faern
    *toughs
    Haimon
    Thyreus

Last edited by sleepy; 2009-04-17 at 12:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

As the cloud moves south, revealing his quarry, a toothy grin is splashed on the wolf's face. With a sudden jump backwards, he moves away from the spear and, pawing the ground, runs back into the fray jumping straight at the jugular. The heavy body is not easily stopped. Faern rushes through the puny defences, sinking its fangs into the neck, and tearing the windpipe open. The body collapses into a heap.

Lifting his head, Faern howls victory.

Spoiler
    Show
    Posting early because Faern is in his own little fight

HP 29/35 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /11)
    AC 19 Fort 16 Reflex 16 Will 17

Move: Hunting Beast Armor power; shift two spaces to N9
    Standard: Charge to P8 with Pounce @ Q7 (Wisdom vs. Reflex)
    To Hit - (1d20+9)[28]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[13]
    If it hits, target grants combat advantage to the next creature that attacks it before the end of Faern's next turn.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-04-17 at 06:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Hileon

As the large humanoid falls, his drake runs to his side.

Spoiler
    Show

Artigine shifts to U13 and moves/double moves around the boulder to T11.

21. - Top - End - #81

As Artigine rushes to the aid of his companion, the remaining tough thrusts at Thyreus with his spear, creating the space for his retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hileon: you forgot your death save. I know you're getting healed in a second, but if you'd roll a 20, you'd be able to spend a healing surge. In encounters that aren't almost over, failed saves also matter next time you get knocked out.

The tough attacks Thyreus (who grants combat advantage due to blindness) and shifts to W11.

targetting Thyreus vs AC:
    (1d20+8)[17]
    (1d8+3)[9]

Initiative Order:

*spirit speaker
    Hileon
    Faern
    *tough
    Haimon <<<
    Thyreus

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thyreus's AC is 18, so the spear misses.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Can Someone Explain me the statistics?...

XD...Just want to know about it...

24. - Top - End - #84

HalflingRangerGuy

Looking as Hileon hits the floor, the young warlord shouts, at the top of his lungs:
    "On your feet, soldier!"

Haimon looks at his two enemies and tightens the grip on his spear. Running around another boulder, he surrounds them, determined to change the tide of the battle.
    Taking some distance, he charges, spear ready, against the shaman, his mind already planning on a next move.
    "Die!"

Spoiler
    Show

-Minor action: Inspiring word to Hileon (1d6+7)[9]
    (This will bring him to 0 hp and then heal the result, if I'm not mistaken)
    -Move action to Bb13
    -Standard action: charge, moving two squares to Z12 - concealment -2, cloud -2 (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[6] plus (1d8)[3]

I'll probably spend an action point after this. Let me just see if I managed to kill the spirit speaker. If not, I'll spend it.

25. - Top - End - #85

Spoiler
    Show
    He lives. AP away.

26. - Top - End - #86

HalflingRangerGuy

Seeing that his enemy managed to partially dodge the spear thrust, taking only a small wound, Haimon thrusts again, tirelessly.
    "I said DIE!"

Spoiler
    Show

Action point spent to take an extra standard action:
    -"Viper's attack" against the spirit speaker - concealment -2, cloud -2, action surge +3 (1d20+8)[12]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[8]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Thyreus struggles to see through the blindness and moves towards where he hears the shaman, swinging wildly at to try and put him down.

"Die! DIE! BY THE FROZEN ONE, DIE!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack on the shaman: Avalanche Strike, (1d20+9)[24] - 5 = 19

If it hits...

Damage: (6d5+11)[3][3][4][3][4][3](31) cold damage

Until the end of Thyreus's next turn, all attackers gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls against him.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-04-18 at 12:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thyreus's saving throw: (1d20)[11]
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-04-18 at 12:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Spoiler
    Show
    Thyreus: I hate to be cruel, but attacking from inside the cloud is a -2, and the shaman has concealment while inside it (a further -2), reducing your attack roll to 15. I also need to know the square you move to

The spirit speaker will shift to W12 as an immediate reaction to your miss... where to depends on where you attack from. The tough will also get an OA, with combat advantage since it triggers before your blindness ends.

Might as well roll the OA now.

(1d20+8)[13]
    (1d8+3)[8]

30. - Top - End - #90

Haimon circles wide of the boulder, gaining the distance to bring his momentum to bear as he charges toward his foe. The spirit speaker whirls to face him, and meets instead the point of Haimon's lowered spear. The blade catches him full in the chest, and Haimon feels the force of his charge gathered up and diverted where the point of his weapon slides along a rib. The shaman gasps in pain as Haimon's weapon draws a bloody gash along the his side, but his vitals are unharmed, and he stands yet. Haimon brings the butt of the spear up as the tip bursts free of his quarry's flesh, making to smash it across the spirit speaker's face, but the force of his charge staggers the shaman backward and Haimon's follow up attack comes short of reaching its mark.

Then from behind, against all odds, Thyreus' blind rush through the mist weaves around the bandit tough's defense and he brings his mighty hammer crashing into side the spirit speaker's head. A dull, wet crunch fills the air, punctuated by a puff of red mist and stray drops of blood that freeze solid in flight. The remains of the man are carried to Haimon's feet by the force of the blow, where a dark stain begins to spread in the dust. Thyreus finds his sight again in his moment of triumph, and his roar of victory echoes off the rocks.

For a few moments, the faces in the fog scream silently while their forms lose coherance. Within the space of breaths, the final swirls of the fog itself melt away into nothing. Hileon, Thyreus, and Haimon feel the rays of the sun reach down to them once more, and draw deeply of the cleansed air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Corrected in OOC thread; blindness penalty is for total concealment so it doesn't stack with regular concealment. Thyreus hits. Shaman dies.

Thyreus: I put you at W12 so things could move along.

Initiative Order:

Hileon <<<
    Faern
    *tough
    Haimon
    Thyreus

Last edited by sleepy; 2009-04-18 at 09:23 PM.