New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: New Star Trek Movie

Quote Originally Posted by valis View Post
    *Why he doesn't warn his home planet about there impending doom makes no sense
    *Even if his motivation did make sense why didn't go to home planet and help build up an army then destroy Vulcan.
    its ****ing Romulus. their shtick is incredible amounts of paranoia and suspicion. not only would they not believe him, they'd probably kill the entire crew the moment they were out of the ship and send the thing to a black ops research center for the next 50 years. Nero himself is Romulan, he knows this.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, guys, you're missing the big point. The entire movie is racist!

Spoiler
    Show
    George Takei specifically picked a fencing foil because he didn't want to perpetrate racial stereotypes. What does Sulu in the movie use? A freakin' katana! Of course, because he's Japanese; all Japanese have katanas! Oh and of course, since he's Asian, he knows kung fu! Heck, the actor's Korean and they have him playing a Japanese person. I thought we'd have progressed in 45 years!

For those who are wondering, yes, I'm joking. Some background: Sulu in TOS was supposed to come charging on the bridge with a samurai sword, but George Takei didn't want to perpetrate Asian stereotypes so he insisted on using a fencing foil instead. Also, mocked in Futurama:

Shatner: Oh, that's good, good, good, good. And then, George, you give them a karate chop!

Takei: I find that offensive. Just because I'm of Japanese ancestry you assume I know karate. Have I ever led you to believe I've studied karate?

Shatner: Well, no, but you never talk about yourself.

Takei: (sadly) Maybe if you showed a little interest.
    And of course later on in the episode, he did in fact know karate ;)

As a person who watched over a decade worth of Star Trek, I liked the movie and thought it was enjoyable. The time travel plot was an attempt, in Universe, to freshly reboot the series and I think it succeeded.

Oh and fresh science stuff. Even if a supernova can irradiate and sterilize a nearby system, it'd take YEARS for the radiation to get there. In a world of FTL transport, they could have easily rescued everyone.
    Last edited by Joran; 2009-05-13 at 09:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Even if a supernova can irradiate and sterilize a nearby system, it'd take YEARS for the radiation to get there.
    Perhaps the star in question was in the Romulus system? Most star systems are at least binary.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well I saw the movie sunday. Im not a die hard treky(er). I am aware of Treks continuity, but not dork enough to be a finatic. I came to the movie with a pritty open mind. I compared it to the ultimates. Things will be a little different but the core is the same. The core of the characters are the same its the continuty that is bugging the crap out of me. Yes I know alternate time line.

However the difference the distruction of the Kelven makes would not put Chekov and Sulu on board the Enterprise with Pike. Chekov didnt join untill afew years after Kirk was captain. It would make alot of sence for Chekov to be in kirks class or just behind him. That's one example for how the actual history could be intigrated into J.J. Abrams alternate time line.

I liked Kirks new history, It made sence seeing as he was now with out his father. I compare it to Sam Jacksion Nick Fury. The character's core is the same but the motives and personality are slightly changed in a way that does not harm him. It just makes him interesting in a new way. However the dudging of my I just want to see this movie as a kid was begining to weaken.

The thing that did it was the romulens. No one new any thing about romulens at that time period. All they new was their lanquage was kinda similar to vulkan. This replaced the moment in time when the federation saw romulens for the fist time. But it was treated as if it wasn't any thing new. Along with the crap black hole plot, and the fact that Pike made a cadet that was one enter button away from being expelled from the academy first officer.

The last plot hole is the romulen ship. Its a mining ship. Nero said so. he was doing his yellow hat construction job when the plot hit him. I dont care what year in the future you come from but a dump truck is a fugging dump truck. Even if it is a drill and back ho combination. I dont care if you take todays giant yellow tonka toy dump truck used in pit mines, and drag it back in time to fight a shermen tank. It's going to lose. It should not have torpedos. Not only this but the layout of the ship was obsurd. One big cavernous space that had mario plat forms for the decks. The whole thing was presuized! At least one of the Kelven's topedose would have breached the hull. End of movie.

I so wanted to like this movie. 12 has to be good. Even numbered star trek movies dont suck.

Edit. I did enjoy all of the actores in the movie. They played their parts very well. I cant stand the story and plot.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2009-05-13 at 06:40 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

About Romulans. At their core, they are Vulcans without the logic and emotional training.

Its stated that Vulcans are naturally extremely emotional creatures, nearly consuming themselves in civil war before Surak's teachings took hold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take Spock's near choking to death of Kirk - if Sarek wasn't there to stop him he might have actually killed Kirk right then and there, and he definitely would not of stopped at all if he was not trained to control his emotions.

But Nero doesn't have that training - the death of his wife and child, of his home planet, and most of his race drove him to the genocide he committed and he has no emotional break to stop himself.

Its not logical at all, and that is half of the point of Nero's rage in the movie (the other half is an excuse for the Enterprise crew to get together and kick ass).

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post

The last plot hole is the romulen ship. Its a mining ship. Nero said so. he was doing his yellow hat construction job when the plot hit him. I dont care what year in the futer you come from but a dump truck is a fugging dump truck. Even if it is a drill and back ho combination. I dont care if you take todays giant yellow tonka toy dump truck used in pit mines, and drag it back in time to fight a shermen tank. It's going to lose. It should not have torpedos. Not only this but the layout of the ship was obsurd. One big cavernous space that had mario plat forms for the decks. The whole thing was presuized! At least one of the Kelven's topedose would have breached the hull. End of movie.
    The ship having Borg level armaments was explained in the prequel comic series, Star Trek: Countdown.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nero got some help from Romulan researchers working on reverse engineering Borg technology. Its a mining vessel retrofitted with Borg weapons, shields, and regenerative systems.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

The last plot hole is the romulen ship. Its a mining ship. Nero said so. he was doing his yellow hat construction job when the plot hit him. I dont care what year in the futer you come from but a dump truck is a fugging dump truck. Even if it is a drill and back ho combination. I dont care if you take todays giant yellow tonka toy dump truck used in pit mines, and drag it back in time to fight a shermen tank. It's going to lose. It should not have torpedos.
    According to the comic tie-in,
    Spoiler
    Show
    after the destruction of Romulus Nero took his (indeed humble and underpowered) mining ship to a secret Romulan military depot and persuaded them to outfit it with their latest-and-greatest technology, Borg-derived stuff that rebuilt it from the inside out and made it capable of kicking ass in its own time.

I thought this was rather silly, to be honest, and it annoys me that they put stuff like this in to supplementary materials. The movie should be capable of making sense on its own.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    after the destruction of Romulus Nero took his (indeed humble and underpowered) mining ship to a secret Romulan military depot and persuaded them to outfit it with their latest-and-greatest technology, Borg-derived stuff that rebuilt it from the inside out and made it capable of kicking ass in its own time.

I thought this was rather silly, to be honest, and it annoys me that they put stuff like this in to supplementary materials. The movie should be capable of making sense on its own.
    Ninja'd you, but personally even before looking it up online I had just made up my own explanation, like the mining vessel was built to mine very special material or Romulans, being the paranoid people they are, had no reason not to arm a ship potentially carrying very valuable or sensitive equipment related to mining.

Actually that is how I deal with most inconsistent things in entertainment - in order to maintain my suspension of disbelief I make my own explanation, one that I find pleasing and enjoy. And if I can't do that then the creators really did mess things up and its not just me being nitpicky.

9. - Top - End - #159

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Nero must have had the construction yellow paint removed there too. Yet no truck nuts to really show his ship had balls.

Your right. The movie should be able to stand on it's own. It bugged me when I heard about the comic after seeing the movie. Star Wars had been doing this for afew years now. It's part of a full media presentation model holly wood is going for I guess.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2009-05-13 at 06:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryusacerdos View Post
    Actually that is how I deal with most inconsistent things in entertainment - in order to maintain my suspension of disbelief I make my own explanation, one that I find pleasing and enjoy. And if I can't do that then the creators really did mess things up and its not just me being nitpicky.
    I do this to. In some cases I do alot of mental back bending to make it work. Just couldnt with this movie.

@swordguy.

Thanks for showing the beagle lines. I totaly missed the names of the admeral and the dog.

11. - Top - End - #161

Beholder

Besides the plot holes and things being where they are out of convenience, does anyone else hate CGI?

Even now, in 2009, the CGI looks much worse than Star Trek: The Motion Picture's special effects.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Besides the plot holes and things being where they are out of convenience, does anyone else hate CGI?

Even now, in 2009, the CGI looks much worse than Star Trek: The Motion Picture's special effects.
    Um.

No?

I was perfectly happy with the CG in this.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground

Guys, guys, you're missing the big point. The entire movie is racist!

Spoiler
    Show
    George Takei specifically picked a fencing foil because he didn't want to perpetrate racial stereotypes. What does Sulu in the movie use? A freakin' katana! Of course, because he's Japanese; all Japanese have katanas! Oh and of course, since he's Asian, he knows kung fu! Heck, the actor's Korean and they have him playing a Japanese person. I thought we'd have progressed in 45 years!
    its actually a cavalry saber.

who's the racist one now?
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post

I know this one, I know this one...

Dracula, right?

Curse you racist Dracula!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    I know this one, I know this one...

Dracula, right?

Curse you racist Dracula!
    Don't be too hard on him, he was a product of his times.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Don't be too hard on him, he was a product of his times.
    Well, that excuses him then.

Less so in the present.

Plus, he just
    Spoiler
    Show
    killed MI 13 and conquered the UK.

Not exactly cricket, eh what?
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-05-14 at 08:04 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

...so...confused...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #168

How so? I do not see.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought it was a fantastic movie. Very fun, and I think the time travel plot is good enough to reboot the movie. Red matter was dumb, but it's Star Trek, I can't nitpick about the science being dumb.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Thumbs down Re: New Star Trek Movie

Generally I'm the type to allow people their opinions but... um... no.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember seeing ST:TMP in the theatres. This is manifestly not the case. We made fun of how stupid most of the effects looked back then.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

However the difference the distruction of the Kelven makes would not put Chekov and Sulu on board the Enterprise with Pike. Chekov didnt join untill afew years after Kirk was captain. It would make alot of sence for Chekov to be in kirks class or just behind him. That's one example for how the actual history could be intigrated into J.J. Abrams alternate time line.
    That's about what happens. Chekov is several years younger than Kirk, but he enters Starfleet only a year or two earlier.

Starfleet makes a common practice of assigning less experienced officers to the conn stations on the bridge in rotation (you can see this in the Original Series episodes; it's not always the same guys there). Chekov "just happens" to be assigned one of the helm slots, probably because he shows exceptional promise- think of him as being as high-scoring in Russia as Kirk is in the US. That gives him the opportunity to distinguish himself as an effective junior officer, albeit one who badly needs to calm down.

Both Chekov and Sulu presumably wind up on the Enterprise because the Enterprise crew gets the highest-scoring cadets. My guess is that the ship had very few assigned officers (since it wasn't quite ready for its maiden voyage), and that they had to fill out the vast majority of the Table of Organization with Academy instructors and cadets.

I liked Kirks new history, It made sence seeing as he was now with out his father. I compare it to Sam Jacksion Nick Fury. The character's core is the same but the motives and personality are slightly changed in a way that does not harm him. It just makes him interesting in a new way.
    Seconded.

The thing that did it was the romulens. No one new any thing about romulens at that time period. All they new was their lanquage was kinda similar to vulkan. This replaced the moment in time when the federation saw romulens for the fist time. But it was treated as if it wasn't any thing new. Along with the crap black hole plot, and the fact that Pike made a cadet that was one enter button away from being expelled from the academy first officer.
    Pike may have made a bad decision, but remember that Kirk was the guy who just warned him that he was about to fly into an ambush. Moreover, I don't think Pike seriously expected Spock to wind up incapacitated in a situation that would leave Kirk in command. Depending on just how badly limited his supply of experienced officers was, he may not have had a better choice.

And as for seeing the Romulans, I think I have an explanation. After the attack on the USS Kelvin (carried out by Romulans), the Federation would know what Nero looked like, because of after action reports by surviving bridge crew from the Kelvin. Moreover, it's very likely that the Federation would press for an investigation within the Romulan Empire, Given what just happened to Kelvin, Starfleet desperately needed to know whether the Romulans had that level of capability in general, and whether they were planning a general attack.

The resulting full-court push to get more intelligence on and diplomatic contact with Romulus would leave the Federation at least a little better informed about Romulans than they were in the original timeline.
    _______

The last plot hole is the romulen ship. Its a mining ship. Nero said so. he was doing his yellow hat construction job when the plot hit him. I dont care what year in the future you come from but a dump truck is a fugging dump truck. Even if it is a drill and back ho combination. I dont care if you take todays giant yellow tonka toy dump truck used in pit mines, and drag it back in time to fight a shermen tank. It's going to lose. It should not have torpedos. Not only this but the layout of the ship was obsurd. One big cavernous space that had mario plat forms for the decks. The whole thing was presuized! At least one of the Kelven's topedose would have breached the hull. End of movie.
    I suspect that the Romulan ship has excellent shielding relative to 23rd century weapons (designed to survive large debris impacts or attacks from 24th century raiders); the Kelvin didn't even make a dent except by ramming.

As for those funny cluster missiles, we're not sure how capable they are relative to the ECM and shields of 24th century warships. They work great on the relatively primitive ships Starfleet has available... but the technology level of the 2480s is as far beyond that of the ships Starfleet has in the movie as those ships are beyond the first Enterprise (from the Enterprise TV series). It's no surprise that a large ship designed by the paranoid and militaristic Romulans (probably laid down about the time of the Dominion War) is fitted with weapons that can wipe out a whole fleet of 23rd century ships.
    ______

I think it makes at least a reasonable amount of sense when the movie is treated as a standalone, even ignoring anything that may be in those comics.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Man, I really liked this movie!

I think I'll address a couple of the arguments floating around:

1st, the CGI was pretty awesome, I was unaware I was watching CGI with the exception of the one female alien officer whose face was obviously computer generated. It was a lot better than ST:TMP.

2nd, I was pretty shocked by the mining vessel having massive torpedoes as well. However, Nero is the kind of guy whose first thought when his wife dies is "That guy didn't stop it, which he promised to do. Now this is all his fault, and he must die!" This seems like the kinda guy who might pack a little something extra to begin with. I was still pretty shocked at the size of that vessel. I mean, come on, it dwarfs the Kelvin, and is noticeably bigger than Enterprise... Starfleet ships didn't grow that much in 150 years, but apparently Romulan ships did. I know that Romulan Warbirds from "The Next Generation" were supposed to be bigger than that show's Enterprise, so I guess this thing is about right-sized...

3rd, On the subject of Sulu and race, I don't think it's such a big deal that he had a katana. In 1967, it was "oh, Japanese people use katanas, here George, have a katana." Today it's more like "Ok, the kids really like to see people using katanas, and a fencing foil is really not going to fit into this scene..."

Takei also said that he completely approved of a Korean playing Sulu, since in the original series, Sulu was meant to represent all of Asia. Sulu isn't even a Japanese name. It comes from the Sulu Sea, which is near the Philippines.

Man did I love Charlie Bartlett and his w's v's.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    2nd, I was pretty shocked by the mining vessel having massive torpedoes as well. However, Nero is the kind of guy whose first thought when his wife dies is "That guy didn't stop it, which he promised to do. Now this is all his fault, and he must die!" This seems like the kinda guy who might pack a little something extra to begin with. I was still pretty shocked at the size of that vessel. I mean, come on, it dwarfs the Kelvin, and is noticeably bigger than Enterprise... Starfleet ships didn't grow that much in 150 years, but apparently Romulan ships did. I know that Romulan Warbirds from "The Next Generation" were supposed to be bigger than that show's Enterprise, so I guess this thing is about right-sized...
    The way I see it, a mining ship like that has a few things in mind. Jerks might try to steal that which you have mined. Shoot them! Crazy Shrapnel Torpedoes possibly double in clearing large amounts of dirt in some way that might be advantageous when compared to photon torpedoes. Maybe they get a more efficient explosion spread or something? Also, the shape of the ship kind of suggested that it 'eats' asteroids or small moons (or drills into the sides of them, bring the surface into the ship and giving a portable atmosphere for miners). Of course, that's all random speculation and is probably crazy-talk.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post

Lies and trickery!

Is that a fencing saber? BTW, did I miss the token "Oh my" from the new Sulu? New Sulu is obviously not as buff as Old Sulu.

3rd, On the subject of Sulu and race, I don't think it's such a big deal that he had a katana. In 1967, it was "oh, Japanese people use katanas, here George, have a katana." Today it's more like "Ok, the kids really like to see people using katanas, and a fencing foil is really not going to fit into this scene..."

Takei also said that he completely approved of a Korean playing Sulu, since in the original series, Sulu was meant to represent all of Asia. Sulu isn't even a Japanese name. It comes from the Sulu Sea, which is near the Philippines.
    Wholeheartedly agree, that entire post was tongue in cheek :) Star Trek has a long and proud tradition of screwing up the ethnicity of the Asian crew members. Ensign Kim was played by a Chinese actor, Ensign Sato was played by a Korean actress, Keiko O'Brien was played by a Chinese actress. I don't mind actually, just like a Swedish actor will be called upon to play to play an Irishman, German, and Russian. An actor should be able to play a lot of different roles and different ethnicities.

Also, the word "fencing" has obviously changed in the future, because I'm not sure what kind of "fencing" that was =P
    Last edited by Joran; 2009-05-15 at 05:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Also, it's reasonable for a mining ship to be huge- it has to carry very large masses of dense cargo. That might also explain the open construction- metal or ore goes between all those big tentacle-looking structures, where it's easy to get at, and is held in place using tractors, force fields, or just big honking cables strung between the pylons. The design gives you plenty of easily accessible cargo volume while keeping the mass of the ship under control.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

26. - Top - End - #176

DwarfClericGuy

Dervag:

Good arguments. I've been thinking about some of that sence I last posted. I agree that even a mining vessal may have weapons. In Nero's time the Romulans, Cardasians, Klingons, Federation and Dominion all faught a huge war afew years befor this super nova. Piracy is most likely a problem again sence thoughs four nations fleets are still being rebuilt. And well it's a Romulan ship they are crazy backstabby any way. Proton torpedos (or what ever they where) still seem a bit much. Two small or med grade phaser or disrupter banks would seem more apropriat. I guess thats getting nitpicky.

Sence it is a mining ship. The things standard tractor beam emitters have to be powerfull. I dont question the large open hullspace eather. Thats whare small or cut pieces larger asteroids would be held for prossessing. I wouldnt be supprised of the ship had a refinery as well. Its the open crew space and oddly platformed decking that made go .

CGI.

The CGI was good. Even though I dont mind the style of Enterprises interior. I thought it was over done with the blinky, shiny and pinging. I could get a sence of the layout of the bridge, and engineering was a mess.

Ok the only CGI that bugged me was the two aliens. Why have CGI aliens when two extras in makup is better. Then you dont have to remember to stick the CGI alien in the back ground all the time. They forgot. Also why did they have to have new made up aliens? Whare the hell are the Andorians? They always get shafted. Other than on Enterprise.

PC police about asian actors? Who cares? So what if a Chines guy plays a Korian, or a Philipeno plays a Japanies character. How is this different from English playing French, Germens playing Scotts, or Irish playing a Russian.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think you guys are focusing on the wrong thing here. It's not racism that's the problem, it's ageism! George Takei was 29 when he played Sulu on the original series, yet John Cho, who's playing a younger Sulu, is 36! They can't even get the ages right!

((The above post was tongue in cheek. Please do not consider it to be a serious one.))
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

28. - Top - End - #178

Also, the word "fencing" has obviously changed in the future, because I'm not sure what kind of "fencing" that was =P
    Yeah I was wondering about the flipping and stuff...

then I remembered the time my fencing instructor backflipped over a bush

It wasn't really 'traditional' fencing, but then again learning Olympic-style fencing and trying to use it in combat will most likely get you killed.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

this would have made the movie even better.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The CGI was good. Even though I dont mind the style of Enterprises interior. I thought it was over done with the blinky, shiny and pinging. I could get a sence of the layout of the bridge, and engineering was a mess.
    Yeah, Engineering got a bit overblown. At one point I was all: "Are they running through a... brewery???"

Overall, though, I enjoyed it a lot, even with the nitpicks.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.