New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IQ

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default IQ

Just intelligence quotient.

I know that those test are said to not really represent much, but still I'm curious about Playgrounds score.

I've recently got two test and those were only ones ever finished by me. That's not too much, as some people probably take dozens of them...

Anyway, according to Wechsler test my IQ is 134.

And less profesional one, on this site says 138

That seems high to me, but maybe I'm just harsh.

Warning: If anyone wants to take this online text - you've got to send to SMSes to get result.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-04-25 at 03:26 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IQ

I've taken three: two online, one written.

The online scores were ~138 and 142, written 144.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know what my IQ is, and I don't want to know what my IQ is.

(Thus, we can safely assume that mine is higher than all of yours. )

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I was tested about five years ago for a result of 132. I guess that's pretty good. I don't put much stock in the IQ test anyway.
    If it ain't broke . . . Hit it again.

Spoiler
    Show

DM: "...You're seriously going to charge the tarrasque?!"
    ME: "Yeah, well. I figure you gotta go sometime."
    DM: (sigh) "Fine. You hear dogs barking nearby."
    ME: "Seriously?"
    DM: "Yeah."
    ME: "I run away."

RIP: MethosHazara's Stone Golem Avvie. You will be missed.
    Iron Golem Avvie by Meirnon

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, at our recruitment for the military we had to take one, my result was 142. Which made me happy because it contains the number 42. I then managed to get thrown out after talking to a psychologist, which made me even more happy
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have an IQ of 92. I don't really seem to care for IQ tests because I don't believe they are sufficient enough to measure true intelligence. We don't even completely understand the human brain yet. Also, this thread is so just for bragging rights.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2009-04-25 at 03:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    I have an IQ of 92. I don't really seem to care for IQ tests because I don't believe they are sufficient enough to measure true intelligence.
    I can't help the nagging suspicion that those two things may in some way be linked
    Also, this thread is so just for bragging rights.
    Well yes, obviously.

I've taken a few online ones over the years and those tend to put me in the upper 130s.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2009-04-25 at 04:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, at our recruitment for the military we had to take one, my result was 142. Which made me happy because it contains the number 42. I then managed to get thrown out after talking to a psychologist, which made me even more happy
    You had intelligence test at the recruitment? Around here some guys are just measuring us and looking at our testicles.

Isn't the military in Switzerland something like training every year etc, not regular "service" anyway? . I'm too lazy for Wiki at the moment.

Join the club in any case. I also avoided army after talking to psychologists, and I'm also happy.

Also, this thread is so just for bragging rights.
    You may be right. This may be the way in which human brain works.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I can't help the nagging suspicion that those two things may in some way be linked
    I'm really a genius! Everyone else is wrong!

Well yes, obviously.

I've taken a few online ones over the years and those tend to put me in the upper 130s.
    I'll gladly get out of the way of your epeen waving contest then.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

My overall IQ is 135
    My cognitive IQ is 147
    My social IQ is 129
    My emotional IQ is 83
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

11. - Top - End - #11

I was actually quite surprised that the average is 100... Based on this thread, we're far above that.

I was tested when I was 8, but I don't remember which test it was...

I got a 144...

Based on my personal experiences, I consider myself as a sponge when it comes to 'logical, connected' sorts of things (i.e. Mathematics, Sciences, and History (the Causes and effects, and such)).

On the other hand, my lack of need for actual studying for any of those led me to bad studying habits... Now foreign language is freaking impossible. I'm good at English classes and spelling/grammar if only because it's my native language... I'm absolutely friggin' lost with Latin. I don't see how other people do it...
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I've only taken a partial written test sometime back when I was like 11 and I was being checked for mental illnesses. It was something around 160. O_o

I've taken a couple internet ones in english which put me around 137-142.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tired N' Drowzy View Post
    I was actually quite surprised that the average is 100... Based on this thread, we're far above that.
    Well, Raroy is probably right, people with high score will come here to brag, people with low won't. It's not representative at all.

The statistic of this online test I took, indeed show that 100 is about average.

Quote Originally Posted by Tired N' Drowzy View Post
    On the other hand, my lack of need for actual studying for any of those led me to bad studying habits... Now foreign language is freaking impossible. I'm good at English classes and spelling/grammar if only because it's my native language... I'm absolutely friggin' lost with Latin. I don't see how other people do it...
    Talk to me more. I've never studied as a child, and in result I can't learn stupidest little thing now, if I don't do it out of pure interest.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-04-25 at 05:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    You had intelligence test at the recruitment? Around here some guys are just measuring us and looking at our testicles.

Isn't the military in Switzerland something like training every year etc, not regular "service" anyway? . I'm too lazy for Wiki at the moment.
    Our recruitment takes three days, actually. Including medical exams, psychological exams, sports test, intelligence test and some thing to test your leadership capabilities.
    And the standard model is a few months basic training followed by repetion courses every few years until you're fifty-something. There's also the option to do the one-year option where you just do all the courses in one piece.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15

I don't put much stock in IQ tests.

Mostly because when I took mine, I got scored extraordinarily high because I read and comprehend very quickly, and the logic problems in the kiddie IQ tests are pitiful.

On top of that, people with much lower scores than me do much better in school, which is what actually matters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

100 is "average" (actually I think it's technically the mean) by definition.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The last time I did IQ test was like 10 years ago- and I got 143. So probably now I'm around 120-ish range XD

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I asked my parents what my IQ was a while ago and they said they couldn't remember, but they do remember that it was above average.
    Which doesn't help much because I want to know what it is.

But now, using teh neterwebz I may finaly know.

EDIT: Aaannd it's in another language.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-04-25 at 05:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Talk to me more. I've never studied as a child, and in result I can't learn stupidest little thing now, if I don't do out of pure interest.
    Ugh. I'm another one who never had to expend effort when I was younger, in elementary and middle school. Then high school hit and my GPA dropped like a rock. The classes aren't hard, really, but I'm just far too lazy to do homework, because it never took me long before, and I have very poor study habits now.

Whenever I take IQ tests online, I can never access my scores . . . Hmm. *off to try test*

Edit: Meh, I don't really want to send in for the results, so oh well. My score must remain a mystery . . .
    Last edited by Helanna; 2009-04-25 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I have an IQ of 92. I don't really seem to care for IQ tests because I don't believe they are sufficient enough to measure true intelligence. We don't even completely understand the human brain yet. Also, this thread is so just for bragging rights.
    For what it's worth, I feel exactly the same way and I am, generalizing a bit, the sort of person that generally does well on IQ tests -- I enjoy classical logic, math (which I am studying), logic puzzles, and board games based on complex pattern recognition. (The only similar test I have taken is my nation's military mental aptitude test, which was mandatory at the time and on which I scored full marks; if I recall correctly, 9/9, which is obviously good, but as far as I know not particularly exceptional.)

When people ask about someone's IQ, it's generally because they want a simple, numerical answer to the question of "how smart" that person is -- that's why they think this number is more interesting than, say, shoe size, Minesweeper high score or FIDE rating. By asking, they're assuming that such a simple answer exists. I do not know or wish to know my IQ because I don't want to encourage this assumption by answering that question. If someone wants to know "how smart" I am, they should engage me in conversation or examine something I've done or written.

IQ 100 is average per the definition of IQ. When you ask a group of people for their IQs, though, in my experience, you will generally find that the reported average is between 130 and 140. You can observe much the same effect by asking a group of males for the size of their reproductive organs.

Taken together, these two misconceptions about IQ have created a popular impression that anyone with an IQ below 100 is a slobbering idiot. This is utterly false, and is part of why I think the assumption that IQ is meaningful as a representation of general intelligence is harmful. An IQ of approximately 90 merely means that you're slightly worse at logical pattern recognition than the population average, which is hardly the end of the world.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

EDIT: Aaannd it's in another language.
    You change language in up right corner. And the test itself has nothing to do with any language anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22

I have a nagging suspicion that many IQ tests are designed selected to produce above-average scores. The average person won't care to talk about their low score, but will more readily talk about their above average score. Thus they are more likely to refer others to a test if it skews their score upward, resulting in an abundance of tests which provide "above average" scores.

I don't know, though. Maybe I just hang out with smart people.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

As for my results, they were from proffesional tests held by medical experts as part of getting a diagnosis, taken when I was 6, but these are supposed to be immutable.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RS14 View Post
    I have a nagging suspicion that many IQ tests are designed selected to produce above-average scores.
    Hmm, maybe, but that's a bit conspiracy theory.

At least by definition they're
    standardized test so arranged that exactly half of the people taking it score 100

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Hmm, maybe, but that's a bit conspiracy theory.

At least by definition they're "standardized test so arranged that exactly half of the people taking it score 100."
    I should be clear that I'm mostly concerned about commercially advertised tests that have little incentive to be accurate.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the average IQ for most professional tests has gone up 5 to 10 points in the last several decades. Unless it has some kind of accreditation an online IQ test is less than worthless as an indicator of almost anything. I took the Stanford-Binet my first semester at uni and it was 154, and I think a bonafide genius is something like 162. Of course I could be wrong, and I might be a genius. I think Pascal had an [inferred] Stanford-Binet of ~200. At any rate it is enough to get into MENSA if I want, but I don't. It's over $100 a year to join, and from what I hear it is pretty dull at the meetings.

It doesn't really mean a lot to me, though. I've always done well on standardized tests, and when you are 8 years old testing post high school in every subject you question their legitimacy and wonder why the hell you keep having to take them every year... and don't I sound pompous.

Anyway, my point is they don't indicate something that is practical to most people. I think if anything, and this is purely based on anecdotal evidence, people with high IQ's tend to be more lazy and do less. I'm not exempt from this, though I try. An interesting note is that by using MRI and CT scans scientists can get a very accurate IQ analysis just by the areas that light up, and how fast they light up when stimulated. Of course that gets into some crazy Gattaca gray area where people can be discriminated against due to their DNA. Also, a cool and completely off topic aside is that MRI scans can also be used as a 100% accurate lie detector. You may be able to fake stress, but there is no faking which areas of the brain you use to access information.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I always score exactly 100 on IQ tests.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    I always score exactly 100 on IQ tests.
    You really are [an average Joe] aren't you?

If any emergency itp ever happens, I bet you'll save us all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lupy View Post
    You really are [an average Joe] aren't you?

If any emergency itp ever happens, I bet you'll save us all.
    i believe "average" is between 90 and 110.

I had to take a lot of them as a kid for some reason. the final verdict was 127 back when i was in 6th grade.

but really the tests are quite absurd.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was tested by an educational psychologist last summer, got 122, but it was dragged down by a genuinely awful score on the memory section. Verbal comprehension was 138 though (the top 1% for people my age).

Yeah, they honestly aren't that great (especially when you consider that its quite easy to train for them).
    Last edited by Wraithy; 2009-04-25 at 06:53 PM.
    I'm back... possibly... any minute now... brb.

Horny Halfing Avatar by Anna Molly