New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Great Awakening

While none of you know the detective, it should not be hard to check what station sent men here who was at the scene for the preliminary investigation-provided you have either access to police information or very good connections. With the video now copied in one of the spare removable disks of the archives, this would be the best lead you had since the investigation begun.

Meanwhile, Reed and Arnold uncover information in less conventional ways; Reed realizes the bank is full of magical auras; there are faint but pervasive traces of necromancy and transmutation covering the entire area that may account for the dead plant. There is a powerful necromantic presence around the two dead guards in the vault and a slightly smaller one in the archives. More interesting are the transmutation auras concentrated in both the oxygen vials and the dead guard outside as well as the air vents right above the archives. Most interesting of all, there is a series of auras of blinding intensity in tightly packed concentric circles around one of the storage compartments within the vault; the circles alternate between abjuration and conjuration and, through Reed can't be sure, must once have formed seven layers-and that is frightening; despite their current intensity, the auras are only remains of broken enchantments.

Arnold senses an aura of evil polluting the air. It clings to the three corpses as if what killed them infected them with a tiny piece of its presence but it also gathers around the archives as if whatever evil robbed the bank paused there for a time. But as Arnold turns his gaze deeper into the vault, he gags, takes a couple steps back and almost vomits; there is a vile presence of such terrifying intensity emanating from one of the storage compartments that Arnold could swear some supernatural evil stood before him. The compartment though is empty. And while the aura must once have been tightly packed to fit inside, it is now slowly seeping to the rest of the vault's interior.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

'I have no doubt you are correct, Mr. Reed, nor do I expect him to comply with any sincerity. All the same, it is necessary as a reminder of who he is dealing with - I arrest criminals, not fraternize with them. The fact that circumstances mean Mr. "Wilton", if that is his alias of the week, an asset instead of an antagonist make no difference to that attitude."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Norman Thorpe

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

...so, what about you? Private Investigator, like Magnum P.I.? "[/COLOR]
    Norman chuckles a bit before answering Reed's question.

"Far from it. I just work for Abercomby Stilton and Partners as a claims adjuster. A job usually done from the comfort and safety of my desk. Of course, we have to make sure that every claim we process is carefully examined to make sure it is valid. We have to protect our honest clients from any fraudulent claims. Because every dollar we pay out first has to be paid by our clients via their premiums. And therefore they expect that we only pay out money to those who have a valid claim."

"Coming to think of it, our work sometimes has a bit of the air of a P.I.. Except that we work for the company of course. But yes... there were some cases where we had to did really deep to prove foul play. Like this one appears to turn out to be."

Norman notes, to his dismay, that the crazy person is now also present in the room. He decides not to show it though. Doesn't do to aggravate the lunatic.

Lycar
    Last edited by Lycar; 2009-06-04 at 03:19 PM.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Ah, there's a lotta transmutashun an necrahmancy just hangin' round heah. Ah fink dat;s wha killed dat plant. Tha guard's r all shot up wit necrahmancy, Ah wouldn' doubt 'at whatevah did dis mightah reanimated 'em. Eitha tha' r they jus' shot 'em up wit' enough negahtive enahgy tah rot 'em out from da inside out. If ah could ask, officah, a full autopsy would be great. There's some necrahmancy in da archives, but ah can't place why dat would be there. Thar is some transmutation sittin 'round tha vents, I fink 'at might be why tha' mist is 'round 'ere, mighta been poisoned ta kill this guy out 'ere. The guard 'as some transmutation round 'im too. I fink 'at 'e mighta been shapeshifted ta break inta tha vault, then poisn'd when 'e wasn' useful. Tha most importan' fing is tha vault tho. One a those storage compartments 'ad a powahful magic item in it bafore. Maybe even an ahtifact. Seven rings ah 'nchantments, abjuration an conjahration. Sah someone was summonin sumfin powahful an keep it in dat vault."
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

5. - Top - End - #95

"Not just powerful, but powerfully evil. That compartment seethes with more vile energies, more than I've ever seen contained in one place in my life. Something was being imprisoned here, and it either broke loose or was released."

Stepping off to one side, both to recover and for privacy, he retrieves a cell phone from one pocket and dials the office."Morty? It's Arnold...I'm at the latest bank scene, and it's a doozy. I want...yes that sort of doozy...yes, I've been using my "mojo", and whatever happened here's bigger than every other bank combined. I'll call you again when I leave, and I want a containment team brought in to seal off everything. There's at least one body that needs an autopsy, and I want it done in-house, not upstairs - put Jerry on it, and have Pat helping him out Oh, and dig out the blue folder in the top drawer of my desk, copy down every phone number that has a black 'N' next to it. This might be a breakthrough, and I don't want any interference from outside - for example, the sort of interference that makes bodies disappear before they're examined....fine."

With a click, he closes the phone and rejoins the group.
    "We've got an hour till SCU shows up and locks down the building, so anything else you...people...want to do, now's the time."
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-06-04 at 10:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

As soon as Arnold puts down the phone, you hear the door downstairs swinging open.
    How very convenient. A nasal, foregn voice says from downstairs. This saves us the trouble of dropping in an anonymous tip so every other little rat sniffing into our affairs can know what awaits them. Now come down, will you? You do not know how hard it is to get an after-dark appointment with a manicurist; I have no intention of missing it because you're being difficult.
    The voice is definitely a woman's and from the tone you believe she must be chinese. A chinese woman turning up here is not that far-fetched. After all, you aren't far from San Francisco's chinatown and a great deal of gang activity does happen there. But for any hitman to know where you are and what you're doing... The operation was supposed to be a secret, with only the higher-ups in both police and the Mob knowing about it.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jeffrey Williton

Moving a finger to his lips, Jeffrey points his gun at the door, while grabbing Norman's shoulder and pushing him back towards the security monitors.

Jeffrey then points to the screen then to down stairs hoping that Norman remembers about the camera's down stairs.
    Last edited by WrathOfLife; 2009-06-05 at 08:47 AM. Reason: door stairs, I'm so dumb...

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

Upon hearing the voice downstairs, Arcos whips out his Thompson and flicks the safety off, pointing it down at the ground. He moves up to Jeffrey and taps him on the shoulder, trying to get his attention. Arcos points to himself, then downstairs, trying to communicate that he wants to scout out what's going on.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

The camera feeds are close enough to check at a glance as you stand in the archive room. While they are still working, you can't actually see anyone downstairs through them...

10. - Top - End - #100

Arnold flicks off the safety on his pistol, holding it in one hand as he pulls a lightweight steel baton from under his coat and holds it in the other hand, taking up a position beside the doorframe leading downstairs.

11. - Top - End - #101

Jeffrey Williton

Seeing Arcos motion Jeffrey nods, but then points to Arcos, and the door, then himself Arcos back.

Jeffrey enters a low crouch, and would have flicked the safety off on his firearm, expect of course he didn't have a safety switch, and then follows the man down the stairs seeking to remaining hidden. Jeffrey will keep a good 15 feet between him and Arcos.

stealth - (1d20+10)[26]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

Arcos nods in reply and leads the way, moving silently and Thompson out. He motions for the rest of the group to stay back.

For the DM's Eyes Only

Spoiler
    Show

Sneak roll
    (1d20+11)[14]

13. - Top - End - #103

Letting training override instinct for the moment, Arnold moves to cover the other two, sheathing his baton and holding his pistol two-handed. Staying at the top of the stairs as they move down, he peers around the corner and waits for a target.

Stealth check to remain hidden:(1d20+6)[7]
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-06-05 at 11:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Two individuals are downstairs, so unlike eachother the difference hits you as odd;
    The man is a caucasian blond well over six feet tall and with the physique of a bodybuilder. He's wearing a black leather jacket a few sizes too small-it won't even close over his chest-and dirty, frayed jeans sporting many a hole and several layers of grime. He has eschewed socks and his sneakers are old and worn. All over him hang several thin chains in gold and silver-obviously fake. He's whistling idly and swinging a baseball bat as he waits for his companion to finish.
    Said companion is a petite chinese doll barely five feet tall and as slim and graceful as an acrobat. Dressed from chin to toe in form-fitting silk and spandex that matches the black of her eyes and hair, she is standing absolutely still and silent, only her ever-shifting eyes taking in the room. She appears to be unarmed but she radiates danger and her stance indicates serious knowledge of martial arts.

As you descend the stairs, she locks stares with you, picking you out of the gloom of the once-empty bank, and smiles.
    Do come down gentlemen. We have some things to discuss, you and I.
    The hulking man at her side squints then scratches his head.
    We be killing them now Ming? he asks in a slow Texan drawl.
    Shut up. the woman hisses from the corner of her mouth and says nothing more.

15. - Top - End - #105

Reed strides slowly and confidently toward the vault. He unslings his gun from his shoulder as he walks and begins humming a gaelic hymn.
    "Eitlíonn tú cruinn"
    He enters the vault and greets the large man and strange woman with a nod.
    "Might ah ask what yer doin here or should ah jus' shoot yah?"

-OOC
    True Strike cast on my gun, went down into the vault.

V- No, it last until the end of next round, and I expect to be shooting by then
    Last edited by DrakebloodIV; 2009-06-07 at 11:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106

Jeffrey Williton

Seeing the situation unfold, Jeffrey had a sudden feeling that they just lost there chance at an ambush. Most pleasingly when Mr Reed decided to be the first to die. Taking a couple of steps back up the stair case, Jeffrey mouths to the police officer behind him very carefully so as to not be seen by those below.

'Please find a back exit' Then with a rather satisfied smile adds 'Mr Bernman.' Before turning back to watch what happens down stairs from the relative safety of the stair case.

OOC: Waste of a spell, it only lasts one round.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Norman Thorpe

Norman just does his best to stay out of the way of what seems to become a firefight in short order.

Lycar
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

The petite chinese woman laughs at Reed.
    Go ahead. Shoot. Let's see what good it will do you.

19. - Top - End - #109

"Tell tha bigun tah lie down ahn 'is chest 'f 'e wants tah walk again"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

[will wait reactions from others before upodating]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Enthusiast

Unsure as to what to do, Arcos glances over to Jeffrey, awaiting orders.

22. - Top - End - #112

Not at all adverse to seeing the scum get themselves killed, Arnold obligingly stops providing cover for the other gunmen and goes to examine the second-floor windows for the fire escape.

23. - Top - End - #113

Jeffrey Williton

Rather pleased to see Reed risking his neck for no apparent reason Jeffrey politely tips his hat to the people down stairs and makes his way back up stairs with Mr Bernman, to look for an alternative exit that doesn't include going down in a blaze of glory.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

No negotiations then? the chinese woman says. Ah well. It was fun while it lasted.

And with an impressive display of athleticism, she jumps across the room and over the staircase-well over thirty feet-and stands in the way of both Arnold and Jeffrey.

Meanwhile, in an equally stunning display of stupidity, her companion roars a challenge towards Reed and raises his club on a two-handed grip overhead...

Spoiler
    Show

high ability + racial skill bonus = huge jumps.

25. - Top - End - #115

Jeffrey Williton

"Duck"

That was all the warning Arnold got as Jeffrey lowers his impressive firearm to bare on the young women. Squeezing the trigger with a controlled and practice easy, Jeffrey shoots a quick burst of 5 rounds with a deadly show of force.

Round 1 - (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage - (2d6)[5]
    Round 2 - (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage - (2d6)[9]
    Round 3 - (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage - (2d6)[9]
    Round 4 - (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage - (2d6)[5]
    Round 5 - (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage - (2d6)[7]
    (+1 to all rolls from point blank shot if woman is with in 30 feet, 50% chance to hit Arnold if the man doesn't duck)

After the quick blast of bullets, Jeffrey can be heard muttering "Forgive me, my dear"

26. - Top - End - #116

OOC: Ops and of course
    INIT - (1d20+3)[18]

27. - Top - End - #117

Init:(1d20+2)[8]

Arnold flings himself to one side as the woman flies over his head, drawing a bead on her as she lands. Still on the ground, he fires a text-book perfect shot pattern - two center mass, one to the head - before clambering to his feet and backing away.

I have a nasty feeling our guns will do nothing, but here's rolls.

(Belial, can I please have an up or down on Natural Bond? I've still got that empty feat slot open.)
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-06-09 at 11:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

(1d20+4)[21], (2d6)[9]
    (1d20+4)[14], (2d6)[4]
    (1d20+4)[18], (2d6)[6]

Oh yeah, add +1 to all of those rolls from Point Blank Shot.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2009-06-09 at 11:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Arcos, Gun Entusiast

Arcos gapes in awe for a moment as he sees the small lady leap up the staircase, but he quickly recovers his senses. A mad grin stretches across his features.

"HA HA HA! It's go time! Ha ha!"

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative roll:

(1d20+4)[23]

Arcos will move upstairs and try to get a clear shot at the leaping Chinese woman, getting within 30 feet of her to maximize accuracy.

Attack roll:
    (1d20+9)[29] (BAB for ranged weapons is +7, +1 for masterwork weapon, +1 for Point Blank Shot)

In case of critical, critical confirmation:

(1d20+9)[22]

Damage:
    (4d6)[13]

(OOC: Can we have a battle map if possible?)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

(OOC: Woo hoo! Possible critical hit! )