New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    And me. Man, it's slow. T_T
    Nuuu! How am I supposed to listen to Iron Maiden without Youtube?!

AHH! To Google vids!
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-01 at 01:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Groundhog's Random Banter of Weather Prediction and Anti-Gopherness #120

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Nuuu! How am I supposed to listen to Iron Maiden withought Youtube?!

AHH! To Google vids!
    iTunes? Steal their music off your friends?
    Sigatar by Me

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    iTunes?
    But that costs money! We're not all millionaires you know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Paying for music is like, sooo 2001. *flicks hair*

5. - Top - End - #95

Wasn't 2001 like the height of Napster's popularity?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Having long, feminine hair and being proud of it is, like, so 1980s.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    I have long, feminine hair and I'm proud of it. I also happen to love the 1980s, especially their music (QUEEN!) and a lot of their films.
    You remind me of the babe

Who wants to live forever . . .

Flash! Aaaaaaaa~

It's not all bad you know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Yes but the 80's was like, my favorite decade. *flicks hair and taps on huge over sized mobile*

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes but the 80's was like, my favorite decade. *flicks hair and taps on huge over sized mobile*
    And they said it would never catch on.

Here is a good trick for you peeps. Use a double ended jack, plug it into the headphones thing and the microphone thing, download some recording software, (e.g. audacity) and then just record the songs from youtube, deezer etc.

And pretty much no loss in quality because it is all electronic. ^_^

Not that I have ever done that no. completely hypothetical.
    Sigatar by Me

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    And they said it would never catch on.

Here is a good trick for you peeps. Use a double ended jack, plug it into the headphones thing and the microphone thing, download some recording software, (e.g. audacity) and then just record the songs from youtube, deezer etc.

And pretty much no loss in quality because it is all electronic. ^_^

Not that I have ever done that no. completely hypothetical.
    Uhhhh *glee* :'D

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok. I am now officially just sitting here and mellowing...... duuuuude....... *takes puff of imaginary spliff*
    Sigatar by Me

12. - Top - End - #102
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Actually, no. It would be converting it from digital to analogue and then back to digital. Or, more correctly, it would be uncompressing it from a lossy compressed audio format into a digital signal, then converting it to analogue, then converting it to digital, then compressing it in a lossy compressed audio format.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Actually, no. It would be converting it from digital to analogue and then back to digital. Or, more correctly, it would be uncompressing it from a lossy compressed audio format into a digital signal, then converting it to analogue, then converting it to digital, then compressing it in a lossy compressed audio format.
    Gah! techno babble! ^_^ I'm pretty computer illiterate. All I know is that there is not much loss in quality, either that or i don't really have a good ear for quality of music. Both of which are most likely true.
    Sigatar by Me

14. - Top - End - #104
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

lossy compression = compression that loses quality, mp3 for example
    lossless compression = compression that does not lose quality
    digital audio = audio stored digitally (i.e. in a computer format), examples include CDs and WAV files. There is actually a bit of a loss of quality converting from analogue to uncompressed digital, but once it's in an uncompressed digital format, it will always remain the same quality as long as it stays in an uncompressed or lossless compressed digital format
    analogue audio = audio stored or broadcast in an analogue signal, this signal degrades the further it has to travel and every time you rerecord it, examples include tape cassettes and radio

Basically, you're converting it from a signal that has already been degraded several times to a signal that degrades over distance, then you're degrading the signal again several times to convert it back and then compress it again.

About the only reason it doesn't sound like a radio signal is because it only has to travel as far as the cable, but you've still made a lot of redundant steps and lost quality.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Heh - I get it. Good stuff.
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Mrmud, how did it go yesterday?
    Last night went great, she was feeling sick too! (Score!... Sort of... ).

But today was... not as good. The school accused me of plagiarizing an extra-circular poem that I wrote. Which is totally BS, giving the teacher and I were joking around when I thought of it. First of all: Why would I plagiarize something I did for fun? Secondly, what kind of self-righteous parent needs to call in and report something that they think might even be CLOSE to plagiarizing? God. People. .
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

@Mr Mudd^: What's this now? So did you just write up the poem on a whim after getting the inspiration to do it from a conversation with said teacher and share it in class or sommat? Or did you submit it to some kind of literary magazine in your school?

How'd it get exposed to parental scrutiny?

Which may or may not render the exercise completely futile and the resulting product unenjoyable. Might depend on the original quality being recorded, though I imagine if someone was going to all of that trouble they could find sommat to record the data being sent to their hardware's audio.

But then I might have an optimistic view of how things actually work and a pessimistic view of what programs have been produced that can be obtained relatively easily for such purposes or at least adapted to such purposes.

So I'm excited that I might be trying my hand at DMing a bit over this summer. And I've found, much to my chagrin, that as time goes by and I become used to my adult body, I can't take as much of the heat of summer as I used to be able to even a few years ago during my adolescence.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-06-01 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

@Mr Mudd^: What's this about an extra circular poem? I've never really heard of circular poetry before, so I'm intrigued.
    I think he means extra-curricular poetry.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Ooh, that sucks Mr. Mud. Chances are you teacher will stick up for you though, after all it's not many students who do assignments for fun.

Weeeeee I have a nameless on my IM list now.
    Last edited by Jkoshe; 2009-06-01 at 07:30 PM.
    Life's like a teeter totter it has high points it has it's low points and it can be a real pain in the butt.

20. - Top - End - #110

NecromancerGuy

Well I feel like an ass. d'oh.

...How is everyone getting Nameless's IM? And why is this such an event?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

His public profile. It's an event because it's something to talk about and everyone likes him.
    Last edited by Jkoshe; 2009-06-01 at 09:12 PM.
    Life's like a teeter totter it has high points it has it's low points and it can be a real pain in the butt.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I feel like an ass. d'oh.
    If you feel like an ass, feel like a happy one, at least. Try not to stray into Eeyore territory.

23. - Top - End - #113

NecromancerGuy

Oh god the people who love that character far too much for his or their own good always creep me out. I roomed with a guy like that, and while I love him to death, sometimes the outlooks he expressed just made my heart sick, and I've actually been on some of those medications.

Eeyore and his ilk are a problematic lot, since it seems the only way to truly improve their lot and life is to mindrape them as per the spell.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #114

only way to truly improve their lot and life is to mindrape them as per the spell.
    That's a dangerous sentiment there Coidz. Sure, it starts helping terminally depressed people, but where does it end?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    That's a dangerous sentiment there Coidz. Sure, it starts helping terminally depressed people, but where does it end?
    Is there such thing as mindburning? Because than we could put it all together and make mindpillaging. Then we'd have to stop.

26. - Top - End - #116

Yeah, but it's less literal. So that's no good. It's to help your brain, not set it on fire.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #117

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Indeed, and then come the arguments that you're actually killing them and replacing them with different people.

Sort of why I think something like eugenics would be good in theory, because who doesn't want to have humanity become kickass and free of ****-move diseases like Huntington's and at least more cancer resistant, but, y'know, kinda involves some morally undesirable and messy things to put it mildly.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a question for any and all musicians of any skill level:

Do key changes make you inexplicably happy? I've just listened to two songs with key changes in them, one a major song, the other a minor, and in both incidents, a quiet, usually timid voice in my head said, "Yay! Key change!" (In that colour. )

Happy really isn't the best word to use here, since this personified feeling exclaims its love of key changes even in the most depressing of songs written in minor keys.

...It's a key change. I must be crazy. And enjoying it, admittedly.
    Last edited by randman22222; 2009-06-02 at 06:55 AM.
    This avatar by Phase.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    Find a Shadowrun RPG book and page through the pictures?
    This is the best Idea I've had ont he subject and have a sketchy, lower-tek style costume in mah head.
    It involves a one-sleeved trenchcoat.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

I just just had a Chock-Ice.
    I tasted bad.
    ._.

EDIT: And now I feel ill. >.<
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-06-02 at 07:43 AM.