New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf fortress

1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dwarf fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    Next fortress: Firedrowned, settled by the Glorious Vegetables. Another try at playing with magma. This time, I'm making a small moated castle on the highest hilltop, and build the rest of my fortress underground from there.
    Firedrowned? Thatīs totally not ominous or suggestive of a horrible fate or anything.
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I've been reading throughthe wiki before trying to build my first fortress, and I came up with an idea.
    Would it be possible to have and entry hall wherein the floor is angled slightly downward, leading to a drain in the centre?
    And you have a bunch of holes in the ceiling, with valve-type thingies, all connected to...

One obsidian magma pipe.

The invades come, you open all vlavles, flood the hall with magma and kill EVERYONE inside., afterwards, it all drains away and pack into your magma power system.

Of course, you'd need alot of obsidian to pull this off, but assuming magma and an infinite water supply (Like, I don't know, a river), that shouldn't be a problem, right?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

My new fortress (Pillarsoothe) has z-levels like other maps have trees ('bout 200) and trees like it has water (none!), it's gonna be so much fun!

4. - Top - End - #694
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Of course, you'd need alot of obsidian to pull this off, but assuming magma and an infinite water supply (Like, I don't know, a river), that shouldn't be a problem, right?
    Careful manipulation of the Z-Axis, copious use of ramps and a magma-proof trapdoor to regulate the 'magma level', and I don't see why not.

Having said that, I've only just learned the basic commands and haven't quite got the hang of micromanaging my Dwarves' priorities and assigned tasks, so perhaps it'd be a better idea to start another game that has no other objective than to test such a trap, before you try putting it into a normally-functioning Fortress
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-07-07 at 07:09 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    So, I've been reading throughthe wiki before trying to build my first fortress, and I came up with an idea.
    Would it be possible to have and entry hall wherein the floor is angled slightly downward, leading to a drain in the centre?
    And you have a bunch of holes in the ceiling, with valve-type thingies, all connected to...

One obsidian magma pipe.
    Obsidian isn't magma proof. So make sure you have bauxite to make your stone mechanisms. Your floodgates can also be made from bauxite if you want, however any magma-proof metal will work. I'd read up on the magma-proof page on the wiki.

Just remember that magma can be very very fun and it has lots of fun things living in it.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Bugbear in the Playground

It may also be smart to have a (magma safe) hatch in the center of the parabola room, so you can drain it whenever you want.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

7. - Top - End - #697

Is it odd that five out of the seven moods I've had in my current fort have all been possessions?

Either way, it SUCKS! I get some artifact, and I don't even get a legendary out of it...
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-07-07 at 08:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #698

Well, it depends. I have a friend who considers Possessions a blessing, because it means less unplanned legendaries.

Think about it. If an Army Dwarf gets a good mood, goes legendary, and would still go back into the army, great. But a legendary anything else isn't going to be that much help from a military prospective, only a danger if things go downhill and he revolts.

Though I guess legendary crafters do make better stuff faster. But they are still a danger in some situations.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

9. - Top - End - #699

Yet another Adventurer story from me!

In one of my worlds, humans and elves are at war. Of course, I didn't actually know this until recently, so I stumbled into a human outpost muttering something about a "job".

Long story cut brutally short, I shot him in the head with an arrow, then attempted to disarm him just before he stabbed me in the chest.

We both bled to death at the same time. I had no lungs, he had no eyes.

Well, technically I did kill him...
    Thanks for existing.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooohh..Dorf Fortress...such an awesome game. I mourn the fact that ASCII graphics give me an incredible headache.

In any case, I'm here because I wanted to share with you (assuming it's not been linked to somewhere in the last 24 pages) the Saga of Boatmurdered. Boatmurdered was a succession game of Dwarf Fortress on the Something Awful forums. From this spawned an epic tale, incorporating hordes of belligerent elephants, floods of biblical proportions, flaming puppies, and more.

The Saga (warning, occasional adult language...OK, a LOT of adult language)

Enjoy, but be warned. I hurt myself laughing. Don't suffer my fate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

11. - Top - End - #701
    Banned

I was just rereading boatmurdered for the fifth time when you posted that.

12. - Top - End - #702

I just ran into a giant that proclaimed that he had "Crushed Lico Oraclebathes, who cried like a little girl as I deprived him of his manhood!"

Holy BOOPING BOOP!!!

Thanks for existing.

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    Well, it depends. I have a friend who considers Possessions a blessing, because it means less unplanned legendaries.

Think about it. If an Army Dwarf gets a good mood, goes legendary, and would still go back into the army, great. But a legendary anything else isn't going to be that much help from a military prospective, only a danger if things go downhill and he revolts.

Though I guess legendary crafters do make better stuff faster. But they are still a danger in some situations.
    Except that a fey or secretive mood on, say, a weaponsmith or armorer means that I get a legendary weaponsmith or armorer without having to make a few hundred -iron short sword-s or +copper shield+s. And I don't need all of the metal that it takes to make all that crap...

Edit:And I don't need to make a place to store all of them either!
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-07-07 at 10:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

In that case, you just melt down the rejects and save yourself the metal o_o
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

15. - Top - End - #705
    Firbolg in the Playground

You only get back about a third of the metal you put into weapons, so you still need a sizable amount of metal. However, a single block of magnetite normally holds 300 chunks of ore, so it, with what you steal from the goblins, should be enough to train a legendary in a single skill. If you don't have magma, you also need at least 600 coal just to make the junk, plus at least 600 coal to make the metal. Magma makes things much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #706

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    You only get back about a third of the metal you put into weapons, so you still need a sizable amount of metal. However, a single block of magnetite normally holds 300 chunks of ore, so it, with what you steal from the goblins, should be enough to train a legendary in a single skill. If you don't have magma, you also need at least 600 coal just to make the junk, plus at least 600 coal to make the metal. Magma makes things much easier.
    And faster: you don't have to haul the coal. And you only get about one tenth of the metal back... Add onto the fact that I havn't gotten any magnetite, and only two native copper veins, and no attacks by gobbos means I have to stretch out my metal.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

well magnetite only shows up on sedimentary layers, it's kinda the balancer for not having a magma pipe. Unless of course you're manually finding a plot of land without the location finder that has both a biome with an igneous layer /w a volcano, and a biome with sedimatary and flux, in which case give me the darned seed number so I can play it XD
    -"I believe in gender equality, so SHOOT ME YOU WUSSY!"
    -Oh hey, let's go steal the tv from the corpse house?" NOBODY HAS EVER SAID THAT UTAHRAPTOR!
    -Stan you're pointing a gun to GOD. I.. I can't even THINK of a better metaphor.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Another fortress deaded. Firedrowned wasn't drowned in fire; it was ground to a halt because a crippled, semi-conscious goblin in an unreachable location was cancelling everyone's jobs.

Now I'm going to build a fortress that's entirely above ground. And anything that can be built of wood, will be. I'll only be mining for metal ore, gems, and Fun.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    And you only get about one tenth of the metal back
    1/10th is not even close. The general rule of thumb is 1/3 return. 1/3 is not exact, and returns change based on the item in question, but that's a quick-and-dirty way of getting pretty close for most items.

What happens is that melting gives you 1/10th of the item's SIZE. For example, plate mail is size 9, giving 0.9 bars back when melted, which is a 30% return on the 3 bars needed to make it in the first place.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-07-08 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Unreachable location? Can't you tunnel close enough for some marksdwarves to get him?

Well i'm gonna start a new fortress. Should have some Hidden Fun Stuff, and underground river, magma, trees, a brook, and sand. All this in a 3x9 fortress so less overall space than your standard 6x6. I could trim it a bit if I wanted too as well. Time to see how well this is going to work. Also saw a sight that had magma, HFS, and a sedimentary layer, but no sand.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    1/10th is not even close. The general rule of thumb is 1/3 return. 1/3 is not exact, and returns change based on the item in question, but that's a quick-and-dirty way of getting pretty close for most items.

What happens is that melting gives you 1/10th of the item's SIZE. For example, plate mail is size 9, giving 0.9 bars back when melted, which is a 30% return on the 3 bars needed to make it in the first place.
    You get 60% of chain leggings IIRC.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

50%, according to the wiki, but close enough

It's goblets that get you 60%. It takes one bar to make three Size 2 items, making for a total of .6 bars from melting per one bar used to make them. Of course, this is only really feasable if you have magma (and ignore exploiting a possible ammo-melting bug).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

23. - Top - End - #713
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post

Why would a dwarf with great stats be anything but a boon from a military perspective? If you get a legendary wood carver why not draft him or start training him in weaponsmithing since his absurd agility and toughness will let him train up faster than Urist Fresh off the boat?

And it's not like your military should ever have trouble taking out an unarmed and unarmored dwarf no matter how legendary the stat line.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, how do I clear out the random rock that's lying around my place? Also, how do I get a non-skilled dwarf to do Stone Detailing? I activated it on his profile, but he's not doing it.

Also, my dwarves are mostly lying around in the dining hall with a dozen dogs and donkeys and a horse, not even building my trade depot. Huh?
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2009-07-08 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, now they're doing stuff. The stone-detailing guy is working, too. But I still don't know how to get the rocks off of my floor.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, and now it's showing me that the whole map is inaccessible to wagons.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Banned

Firstly, there is an edit button.

Secondly, there is a dorf fortress article on the wiki about stone disposal. You can use it for furniture or crafts, dump it or just live with it.

Lastly, I don't belive it is possible for the entire map to be trade inaccessible.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

I can't find the article. Where is it?

Also, yes, sorry about the posts. And maybe there is some point on the map that is not inaccessible, but I certainly can't find it.

29. - Top - End - #719

I've seen maps choked with trees that weren't wagon-accessible at the start. Nothing a three-square-wide stone road wouldn't fix.

... Huh. It seems I was actually going somewhere with that... That's odd, I should probably get some sleep
    Thanks for existing.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

Aaugh! My dwarves have started starving to death! Why? I have a kitchen and farms...presumably I'm not working them right...