New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [BleachitP] Ep 2: Yen's Funeral; The Sadness, the Determination.

In the same vein as the Episode 1 thread, this details an event which would hold up the plot in a major way if done in a main thread. In this case, Yen's funeral. The events of this thread take place between the Captains' meeting and Satoshi's team leaving for the Mortal World.

Music starts.

Daisuke stands in front of the assembled Shinigami, holding the funeral for Vice-Captain Kayzumai Yen, who was killed by an Espada recently.

We are gathered here to mourn and remember one of our own who was killed in the line of duty. His name was Kayzumai Yen, and he was the Vice-Captain of the 2nd division.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [BleachitP] Ep 2: Yen's Funeral! The Sadness, the Determination.

Mejiri stands in a corner. He does not make a noise, but his lips are quivering.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Siegfried stands in the second row, behind the Second Division. His eyes are duller than usual. He holds Satoshi's sake in one hand, and his chessboard in the other.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Koujin is present, face blank. Occasional faint ripples of spiritual pressure can be felt emanating from him, but there's no way of telling what emotion or emotions are causing this.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm kinda winging it on Soul Society customs here, but everybody play along. ;)

Kenji stood near the front of the assembled crowd, looking at the picture of Yen and the black, elongated metal bowl that sat in front of it. The pan was two or three feet wide, and four or five long, and was currently empty.

Kenji walked forward to the front, reaching into the folds of his Shihakshou as he did so. When he got to the front, he produced an old picture, black and white as most pictures in Soul Society are, and paused to look at it. In the picture 3rd Seat Yen held his arm around Kenji's neck, holding up two fingers and smiling big for the camera, ignoring the fact that he was a little bit choking the young new addition to his Squad. Even through the gasping for air, Kenji still couldn't hide a smile of his own, and the camera preserved the moment forever.

Kenji choked down a tear, and placed the picture into the metal bowl. Then he turned to the wooden stand beside it, poured a sakazuki of Sake, and lifted it to his lips. "You always wanted me to try Sake, but I couldn't stand the smell." He smiled, then forced himself to choke the liquid down, smiling through watery eyes as he turned away.

Someone else stood up, 6th Seat Miyoshi Kiyoko, and moved forward to the front, this one holding an Origami flower, painted with black ink before it was folded so that the stem and the flower's bud formed an intricate pattern. She put the paper creation in the black trough, poured herself a sakazuki of sake, and swallowed it, keeping almost as much control over her tears as Kenji did. She turned away, and walked shakily up to Kenji. He waited a moment, and then put his arms around her, which was when she could hold it in no longer. The two stood there together for a while, as more people filed through, each dropping something that reminded them of Yen into the black metal trough. Pictures; Coins; small wooden figures; and many, many flowers of every color and shape. A small pile of trinkets accumulate as people file past. Each took a sakazuki of Sake, and then moved off to the side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody who wants to, feel free to walk through and put a small item, or, if you didn't know Kenji very well, a Flower into the Trough.

People from 4th Division are replacing the Sake bottles when they run out. Also, a "sakazuki" refers to a wide Sake cup;
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2009-06-16 at 10:05 AM.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

After the bulk of Yen's subordinates have had a chance to pay their respects, Siegfried walks to the bowl, and sets his chess board down inside it. The bag of pieces follows a moment later.

"You know, we never did finish our last match, Yen-san. You were the only good chess player in the whole Seireitei. How can I get a decent game now?"

He picks up a sakazuki, and takes a sip. He then puts his own bottle of sake in the bowl alongside the board, and steps aside, wiping away his tears with the sleeve of his kimono.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Koujin took his turn, and walked up to the Basin. Honestly, I never knew you very well, and I'm sad I missed that chance. I did enjoy our occasional conversations while we were both vice-captains though. And from now on, a little bit of every explosion I create, I dedicate to you." He placed a small explosive charge and an arrowhead, like those that Yen used to make traps with, into the dish. Well away from the candle that had been placed earlier. He looks at his sakazuki, then slowly drinks the contents. He nods one more time before returning to his seat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [BleachitP] Ep 2: Yen's Funeral; The Sadness, the Determination.

Daisuke places a flower into the bowl, and moves the explosive so there's really no chance of an accident.

If I hadn't been messing around and not taking the Espada seriously, you wouldn't be dead now, Yen. I'm sorry. No more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9

Zombie

Shirubaru is not present, but is sitting cross-legged on a grassy cliff, observing proceedings from afar with a bottle of sake.

He's not actually attending the funeral so that no-one will hear him cry.
    Thanks for the avatar, Jair Barik!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    ....you are an evil, brilliant man.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiljaeran was also absent, but not due to hidden sadness. He simply felt that the best way of honouring Yen's memory would be to devote every second that would have been spent at the funeral to the defense of Soul Society. A small figurine of a black dog had somehow made it into the trough, but of its owner there was no sign.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Satoshi stepped up to the podium. He paused, collecting his emotions before he spoke.

"We are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. But it should be noted that while this death takes place in the shadow of looming war, we still live in a free world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his dedication at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human. The most...passionate. The most...dedicated. I feel nothing but honest pride at having served with Kayzumai Yen. Let us remember not his death, but his life."

With that, Satoshi steps down from the podium. Walking over to the bowl, he pulled out an old, battered red scarf. Not the one Yen was wearing when he died, but one of his "spares". Solemnly, Satoshi folded it before placing it in the bowl. On top of this, he placed a spare version of Yen's Vice-Captain badge. He then took a sake dish, filled it, and drank a silent toast.

Those who are observant would note that Satoshi now wore a black scarf around his own neck, similar to Yens, albeit not wrapped around his mouth.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

12. - Top - End - #12

Mood Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4KdntRxjvU&fmt=18

As Captain Satoshi, the last in a long line of Shinigami passes and pays his final respects, two attendants from the 4th Division step forward on either side of the Metal Basin. Each is dressed in ceremonial dress, complete with red-trimmed hoods, and holds a Red candle carefully with both hands. Whispering a synchronized verse, the two attendants breathe deeply, and then blow their candles. Instead of extinguishing immediately, the flames stream forward, catching at the feet of the accumulated pile of Origami birds, pictures, and flowers. The flames lick up the sides of the pile, not with ravenous hunger, but with dutiful respect, lighting the gathered Memories to a pale, glorious light. The attendants turn away, their candles extinguished, and leave the flame to burn.

Kenji gave Kiyoko a supportive squeeze, and then pulled away. He walked back to the front, stopping in front of the glowing flames. He bowed his head, and clasped his hands, swallowing a few times before speaking too low to be heard by anyone else. "Yen... Wherever you are now... I have a friend who's already there. I think... I think you would like him." Kenji smiled, but it was small and shaky. "Kaiien... take care of him for me," He said, as just then, he must have imagined a glimpse of a handsome, auburn haired man appearing in the distance. Kenji smiled for real this time, scrubbing a little embarassedly at his red eyes with the sleeve of his shihakshou. In front of him, the fires crackled up on either side of the trough, closing together on the last gift left on the top of the pile; the Lieutenant badge, the 2nd Division's symbol displayed proudly on its face. Kenji cleared his throat weakly a few times before he was able to speak. "Goodbye, Yen."

In front of Kenji, there was a whoosh of air as the flames leapt into the air; a Thousand butterflies made of Fire swirled and floated into the sky, leaving behind nothing of the many items and flowers in the basin... Except, oddly, for a picture at the very bottom. When no one was watching, Kenji picked up the picture, blinked in surprise, and smiled. He tucked the photo into his Shihakshou, and turned to leave.
    Last edited by OverWilliam; 2009-06-17 at 03:06 PM.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toshiko always watches from a nearby hill close to Shirubaru. He remains silent though and watches from afar. He uses the tree as support, and leaves Shirubaru alone. He won't speak to him unless addressed first.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Captain Nobel quietly watches the events unfold, partially caught up in his own bitter thoughts: "This is stupid. This whole ceremony is a waste of time. We who knew Yen are already aware of what we have lost and those who didn't probably won't don't care. He, his antics, and the way he kept our spirits up... they are all gone, forever. I miss you Yen. But why are we here, wasting time wallowing in our loss, when we should be out there looking for whoever did this to you? I'll drink to you after your killer is put down or I'll join you on the other side. Either way, I hope we cross paths again in our next lives you hyperactive clown."
    Last edited by Hadrian_Emrys; 2009-06-18 at 04:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.