New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emansía

1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Emansía

Astron

Astron turns to his companion and speaks in a low voice. You hear that? Something's in there, singing or summat. You got friends out here, dwarf?

We'd do well in there ourselves, under some cover. I say we get a look at them before they get a chance at us.

Astron readies his shield and kukri before giving his companion a long look from head to toe. What's he wearing? Any obvious weapons? How unprepared is he for this?

What're you good for, anyway? Keep back if you can't keep quiet or don't have the stomach for blood. In case you do...

Astron grins at the prospect of a good fight.

Spoiler
    Show

Astron will try to sneak up on whatever is making this noise. Astron has darkvision, so if it's close to total darkness, he will wait up to thirty minutes or whenever he detects the voices fading so as to grant himself a possible tactical advantage. If his dwarven friend seems to be making too much noise, Astron will insist that he stay behind once they get within 60 feet of their potential quarry.

Sneaking reconnaissance rolls:

Listen - (1d20+5)[9]
    Spot - (1d20+4)[13]
    Hide - (1d20+9)[14]
    Move Silently - (1d20+13)[32]

In case they're needed to identify anything Astron sees:

Knowledge: nature - (1d20+8)[23]
    Knowledge: dungeoneering - (1d20+3)[6]

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Does the dwarf have a name...?

2. - Top - End - #62

Astron:

"Wait a moment. Best be prepared for ta worst" the dwarf mutters. Mumbling a few short phrases he touches you. "There now, that'll make ye a bit safer"

You move together towards the voices, the dwarf keeping just as quiet as you do. As you get closer, you start to make out what the voices are saying

A somewhat light-sounding voice is saying, with a bit of urgency "...and if I don't get back soon, someone will suspect something."

A much deeper and scratchier voice replies "You'll stay and wait for my scout to return. I don't want any surprises."

You manage to catch sight of the speakers. The first voice belongs to a human, dressed in the outfit of the town guard. The second is a large green ogre, next to whom sits a smaller red ogre.

The human speaks again: "I don't think I can stay, my shift is supposed to end at..." but the green ogre stops him, looking straight at you and the dwarf.

"Intruders! Granch, kill them!"

The red ogre leaps up, a greatclub in his hand.

Roll for initiative!

OOC: The dwarf doesn't have a name that you know of, yet. I'll see if I can make a map of the battlefield online. If not, I'll just do one on Excel.
    Last edited by Arnölé; 2009-07-10 at 11:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63

furious Re: Emansía

Astron

HP: 37/37
    AC: 20 (+ ???)
    Initiative - (1d20+4)[22]

Astron's eyes light up, and his face contorts into a snarl. "Dead, all of you! Dead!" Every muscle tensed and eyes burning, he hefts his shield.

Spoiler
    Show

Let's see how the initiative turns out.

4. - Top - End - #64

Ok, well I'm currently loving my brother for showing me how to put this up.

Astron you have a +1 to all your saves and you go first

Falcon, you can keep playing if you want, I'll take over Ennui's character, or at least just his movements
    Last edited by Arnölé; 2009-07-10 at 03:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

Astron

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is the path diagonally up and left to a "bush" square and then directly left clear enough for a charge at the human?

More generally, how dense is the wilderness here? (The SRD classifies forests into "sparse", "medium", and "dense.") I'm wondering how much cover there is and how difficult the terrain is.

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa Andshort View Post
    Astron

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is the path diagonally up and left to a "bush" square and then directly left clear enough for a charge at the human?

More generally, how dense is the wilderness here? (The SRD classifies forests into "sparse", "medium", and "dense.") I'm wondering how much cover there is and how difficult the terrain is.
    OOC: I think you mean diagonally up and right and then right. But no you can't charge, the bush is considered a 'difficult terrain'. On the bright side, the bush provides +2 to your AC against both melee and missile attacks while the trees are full cover.

Density is kind of relative. I tried to make enough room to move around but still give a somewhat realistic sense of the vegetation. Basically, the trees are big enough to use as full cover and bush is thick enough to be defined as 'difficult terrain' (slowing your movement) and to use as semi-cover.
    Last edited by Arnölé; 2009-07-11 at 07:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: I'm back!
    OOC: Ennui, for the sake of time, and to make this flow a bit easier, do you mind if we assume that Cavor wakes up notices Astron and the dwarf going out of the tavern at the end of the day?
    Assuming he noticed and followed them, should Cavor appear during or after the fight?

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Ennui View Post
    OOC: I'm back!

Assuming he noticed and followed them, should Cavor appear during or after the fight?
    Glad to have you! We'll say you followed behind at a safe distance and you're now at the lower left corner. I'll add you in, so go ahead and roll initiative. :)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cavor

HP: 15
    AC: 14 (+1 Dodge on the red ogre)
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[6]

Cavor will try to move further to the right behind the bushes to be able to get into a flanking position in the next rounds. (one square diagonally right down, then three squares left, taking cover behind the bush).

Hide & Move Silently
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide:(1d20+3)[16]
    Move Silently:(1d20+3)[13]

10. - Top - End - #70

Astron

AC: 20
    Initiative: 22

Those're some large beasts. Best try to trip them up... Astron dashes through tree trunks into the middle of the clearing and darts into a cluster of trees near its edge.

Hide - (1d20+9)[25]

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry again for the delay. Hooray for the return of Cavor!

It would probably help to put numbers or letters on this grid to be able to refer to squares directly.

Astron will move to the tree seven squares to the right and two squares down from his current location, taking a path that keeps him out of the threat ranges of his enemies. While there, I'll attempt another hide check in case it will help obscure him from anyone who comes around the tree to try to find him.

11. - Top - End - #71

OOC: Shoot I should have thought about the markers. Thanks for bringing it up.

If Astron uses that movement, he'll be passing by the human on square E7, provoking 2 attacks of opportunity, one for entering the square and one for leaving (he's going to square I9, correct?) Do you want to go ahead and do that?

12. - Top - End - #72

Would either of the paths B7-C8-...-I9 or B8-C9-...-I9 work?

13. - Top - End - #73

Unfortunately, not in one turn. Astron only has a speed of 30ft(6 sqaures) per round. Either of the two ways you said you would go would only get you to F8.

14. - Top - End - #74

Can't I take two move actions, since I'm not doing anything else except hiding (which happens as part of a move action)? That should get me across.

Edit: and, if I need both move actions just to get to the copse of trees, I'll do that and drop the hide attempt. (Astron will still duck behind the tree in his tile, though.)
    Last edited by Karsa Andshort; 2009-07-14 at 07:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Oh, yeah, duh. Ok, Astron's hiding behind the tree. Guard's turn...aaand he has no idea what's going on. He whirled around when the green ogre yelled, saw Astron zip by but doesn't know where he is now, and is now just kind of standing there with a confused look on his face. Cavor's turn!

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Arnölé; 2009-07-14 at 07:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cavor

AC: 14 (+1 Dodge on the red ogre)
    Initiative: 6

Ok, Cavor will still move as described, but to E12, taking cover behind the bush at E11, using the rolls from last post.

17. - Top - End - #77

The bush isn't cover but difficult terrain that provides you with an AC bonus and allows for a hide check. Reason is that the bush won't be able to block attacks that come through it, but will only hinder them. Ok if I put you at E11, so you get the bonus and hide check?

And now its the Green Ogre...He sees the dwarf and Cavor but not Astron. His face contorts with rage when he notices the dwarf and a cone of ice shoots from his hand towards the dwarf. The dwarf, however, ducks behind the tree, which is now decorated with ice.

The Red Ogre attacks Cavor with his Greatclub...does 19 hit?(you have a +2 for being in the bush)

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I know the map must look a bit confusing. Cavor's standing behind/in the brush and the ogre is standing right in front of it, trying to hit Cavor through it.
    Last edited by Arnölé; 2009-07-15 at 05:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cavor

ooc: I thought I could get that 20% chance because of partial cover, the same bonus you get when fighting in bad illumination, but +2 AC ist fine by me.

AC: 14 ( +1 Dodge against red ogre, +2 bush bonus)
    Init: 6

The ogre hits, should Cavor still stand after that he will retreat to K10, carefully eyeing the ogre to evade any more attacks:

Tumble check: (1d20+5)[20]

19. - Top - End - #79

Ogre hits for 13 and your tumble check is good. Dwarf's turn. He stands where he is for a moment, then rushes to put himself between the ogre and Cavor. The ogre takes a swing at the dwarf and completely misses him, the greatclub swinging about a foot and a half over the dwarf's head. Unfortunately, the dwarf also misses, barely grazing the ogre's knee.

Astron's turn.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Astron
    AC: 20 (+ ? from tree in square)
    Initiative: 22

Astron's eyes widen in surprise as the ogre moves swiftly to and connects solidly with a robed figure hiding in the brush. He ducks in, hoping to dodge any incoming blows, and, with a growled goblin curse, swings his shield at the ogre.

Spoiler
    Show

Astron will move I9-H9-G9, tumbling to try to avoid the attack of opportunity from moving H9-G9, and attack the ogre. Here are all the rolls I may need.

Tumble - (1d20+3)[7]
    Attack - (1d20+9)[28]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[6]

Crit confirm - (1d20+9)[11]
    Crit damage - (1d6+4)[7]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

Barken

Victor my friend, I believe we should head into the forest. Perhaps that shadowy figure holds some information we do not yet have.
    Halfling Monk (Avatar by Miss Nobody)
    Carpal tunnel has subsided, so I'm back hopefully

Spoiler: My games and characters
    Show
    Deralis Legan, the Half-Elf Marshal

Owlbear Hollow Mercenaries the game I'm running

22. - Top - End - #82

Astron slips in under the ogre's club his shield spikes stab into the ogre's arm, tearing off a large amount of flesh.

The ogre doesn't even seem to notice though, and again attempts to bash the dwarf into the ground...He hits and the dwarf roars in pain as the wood smashes into his hip.

The human guard in the clearing runs straight for Astron, lifting high his longsword and shield, which bears the town guard's insignia. Does a 18 hit?

Spoiler
    Show

Above the din of the battle, a loud and harsh horn rings out from deep in the forest. Its echos reach out as far as the town. Victor and Barken, you both see a figure burst from the grass and run pell-mell towards the forest.

23. - Top - End - #83

Come Victor, someone is in trouble! We should investigate Barken says with a glint in his eyes.

Show

24. - Top - End - #84

BardGuy

"I'm on my way! Just give me a second." Victor stops for a moment and puls out one of his scrolls. Getting up he begins to follow Barken.

25. - Top - End - #85

Victor and Barken:

You head towards the forest, the shadowy figure still in sight, but just barely. After about an hour and a half of running, you come to the edge of the forest.

Listen and spot checks

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20)[10]
    Listen (1d20)[11]

Show

27. - Top - End - #87

BardGuy

Spot [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Listen [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Last edited by Newspaper; 2009-07-20 at 07:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

BardGuy

(sorry about that)

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+3)[19]
    Listen (1d20+3)[9]

29. - Top - End - #89

Victor and Barken: As you enter the forest, you hear sounds of fighting. Creeping closer you see two ogres and one of the town guards fighting against a hobgoblin, half-elf, and a dwarf. Victor, you see the shadowy figure dash past the battle, heading in the direction of the horn blast. It looks humanoid, but somewhat shorter, with long arms and legs. And now, Roll for Initiative!

The human's longsword bears down on Astron, who neatly step-sides the blow. Cavor's turn

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: I'm leaving for a family vacation to Jamaica on Thursday. I'm hoping they have an internet cafe or something like it, but if not, I'll be back home on the 30th
    Last edited by Arnölé; 2009-07-21 at 04:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cavor

HP: 2
    AC: 14 ( +1 Dodge against red ogre, +2 bush bonus)
    Init: 6

Still dizzy, Cavor attemps to get out of the ogre's reach (using the successful tumble check above) to C13.