New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Default Re: Alteran's Amazingly Anachronistic, Altruistic, and Antagonistic Random Banter #12

Under Milk Wood is a fearful title. No, I haven't read it nor could I quote you lines from it, but I know it touches on the subject of the dead, unless I'm mashing it together with Our Town. However, cemeteries in the U.S. are, in my experience, open and cultivated lawns, where the only trees permitted are collared with iron or pruned to passivity. When I read about people in their graves under trees, I can only imagine that the liquid forest has flowed over them and drowned their graves in a second death. Trees oughtn't to walk.

Come to think of it, why do we fence in the dead? They're not going anywhere. That is more than an American peculiarity at least: the American cemeteries were hemmed with wrought-iron fencing, the Swedish ones with low stone walls little more than straight piles, the Irish ones (how few! how fewer without a church attached!) with walls of dressed stone.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2009-07-16 at 02:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Alteran's Amazingly Anachronistic, Altruistic, and Antagonistic Random Banter #12

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
    It was the Mel Gibson 'Hamlet', though...
    Ah, well, they cut quite a lot of the script for that one.

@Quincx: "Under Milk Wood" is a lovely play, all about daily life in a Welsh village. I don't recall any death being involved in it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have deep issues with the Bard over Romeo and Juliet and fools who take it as inspiration instead of caution.

But that is a discussion for another time, eh! Enough! Now is the time of merriment, come friends, join me in wine and song!

Quincx: We do not want the dead to get out, nor do we want spirits who need some special invitation to get over a two-foot high fence to get in to muck about with the lingering bodies/spirits.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-16 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #94

I personally dislike the use of coffins. Why? First, they're expensive. Now, I know not having coffins would make many people lose their jobs, but I just don't think wasting wood on coffins is really useful.

Second, they're a hindrance. How? Well, think about decay. The main reason it exists is to enrich the soil. Now, if you take a perfectly good piece of dead, ready to decay matter and stuff it into a wooden, lacquered box which is kind of made decay-resistant, then what do you get? Anti-nature.

I understand that some people need them, but if you can't remember your loved ones without having to go to a grave, then did you really care about them that much?

EDIT: @dish: Ah, I seem to have messed up things. Damn confusing IMDB. And for some reason it seemed longer than 130 minutes. And it's the 1990 version. My bad.
    Last edited by Hannes; 2009-07-16 at 02:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

NecromancerGuy

I personally dislike the use of coffins. Why? First, they're expensive. Now, I know not having coffins would make many people lose their jobs, but I just don't think wasting wood on coffins is really useful.

Second, they're a hindrance. How? Well, think about decay. The main reason it exists is to enrich the soil. Now, if you take a perfectly good piece of dead, ready to decay matter and stuff it into a wooden, lacquered box which is kind of made decay-resistant, then what do you get? Anti-nature.
    And just wait until you learn about embalming.

*sigh* Dark thoughts for dark times. Just as well my lips have not supped upon the fruit of the vine yet this eve.

The bell tolls for the living, not the dead. And who knows the hearts of mankind well enough to say for certain what it is that we seek in the houses of the dead.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I have deep issues with the Bard over Romeo and Juliet and fools who take it as inspiration instead of caution.

But that is a discussion for another time, eh! Enough! Now is the time of merriment, come friends, join me in wine and song!
    If you be not of the house of Montagues, I pray, come and crush a cup of wine.

(I'll stop now, mainly because I'm going to bed.)

@ Hannes: you can get biodegradable cardboard coffins, or choose to be buried in just a shroud. It's unusual, but possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post
    @ Hannes: you can get biodegradable cardboard coffins, or choose to be buried in just a shroud. It's unusual, but possible.
    Sure, you can, but most people feel that that's... Cheap, I guess. But I don't want to get buried anyway. Burning and being thrown to the winds is what I see fit for myself.

8. - Top - End - #98

...The bell tolls for the living, not the dead...
    Nah, it tolls for thee.

Again @ Hannes: either cheap or eco-friendly. Or both! Win.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post

Again @ Hannes: either cheap or eco-friendly. Or both! Win.
    Cheap as in not being low on the money end but cheap as... Cheap. You know what I mean.

"I loved them so much I should be spening much money on them so it would show I loved them."

But that's just me, and if anyone feels offended, I am gravely sorry and apologize.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Merchant of Venice is okay, but I disagree with everyone casting Shylock as the villian.
    I had to write an essay on pretty much this subject as English Coursework. It surprised me too, how many people wrote about Shylock being the villain, because I saw him as more "evil from necessity".

The only Shakespeare plays I like, though, are his comedies.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

I realize Shakespeare's intricate writings, but I prefer my works to be easily followable. The Scottish Play was better than I expected, but I would have preferred the writing itself to be more straightforward.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    I had to write an essay on pretty much this subject as English Coursework. It surprised me too, how many people wrote about Shylock being the villain, because I saw him as more "evil from necessity".

The only Shakespeare plays I like, though, are his comedies.
    The only Shakespeare play I actually read in its entirety is Richard III. I did enjoy it, Richard was the epitome of a Magnificent Bastard (no TVTropes link, you're welcome).

I must have seen three different versions of Romeo and Juliet, but I never actually read the play.

13. - Top - End - #103

NecromancerGuy

Cheap as in not being low on the money end but cheap as... Cheap. You know what I mean.

"I loved them so much I should be spening much money on them so it would show I loved them."

But that's just me, and if anyone feels offended, I am gravely sorry and apologize.
    And now you know the true power of the man in drab black who studies the corpse with a practiced eye.

I'm surprised there wasn't a dragon-marked house for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Set: A Play to Wright
    Let’s wright a play together,
    We’ll call it “The Scottish Play,”
    Just to mess with drama geeks
    And their oh-so thespian lovers
    For all that ado they do so well
    About sound and fury with pomp
    But meaning, slightly less than
    Nothing.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-16 at 02:59 PM.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

I am gravely sorry and apologize.
    gravely
    gravely

15. - Top - End - #105

NecromancerGuy

Oh come off it, Phase! It's not like anyone's buried in you...

Or is there?
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #106

Phase is the Moon. He has the Clangers living in him! And I think Blue Peter owns a small piece of him too.
    He has more things to worry about than the occasional corpse, rocket, inter - planetary litter and Dracula's moonbase. I doubt he'd be offended over the odd corpse anyway, they wouldn't even rot much.
    I think.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

17. - Top - End - #107

There was no pun intended, folks!

Okay, that sucked. Now for something completely different!

That sucked even more.

Anyway, I just came from walking my two dogs. One is from a pound, the other raised in our house. The one from the pound hasn't been properly trained, we're thinking, so I'm trying to teach him to stay. Only, today, as he bolted towards the door, I blocked his way but accidentally made him get stuck between me and the doorjamb. He didn't like it, so he bit me. Though I've noticed that he's getting less brutal in his attacks - about three months ago he would've kept going on and on until I'd retreated or pulled him away with the leash or something, but this time he only bit me once or twice. It also doesn't help that he's a small bugger, ergo being about four times faster than my other dog with who I have to struggle with to claim ownership of my shoes from time to time.

So my Achilles tendon hurts and this is a good thing. Go figure.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Dracula's moonbase.
    That was supposed to be a secret!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

19. - Top - End - #109

No that one is the distraction. Everybody will be looking up at the sky so that nobody notices the one burrowing down below. Remember? We would let slip word about it so they knew, Oh wait…
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yes, no wait...Oh yes, but those were both distractions so that the ones not looking up would look down and then we could strike from the third base!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

21. - Top - End - #111

Which leaves us only one problem. Where did we leave that one?

Eindhoven, perhaps?
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, we'l have to figure that out.
    Eindhoven? Naah, I think we put it more to the west....Somewhere in Zeeland I think...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

That was supposed to be a secret!
    Not really, everyone knows about it.

Random note:
    Bleh, my braces were tightened today, they hurt.

24. - Top - End - #114

Oh yeah.

My kitchen is a shell. It has barely three walls, a floor and a ceiling. Nothing else in it but two acros (ceiling supporty thingies as we've demolished one of the supporting walls of the house), some wood, a bag and some dust.
    No sink.
    No cooker.
    No washing machine.
    No tumbledryer.
    Sarting tomorrow there's no shower; no bathroom sink and only a very temporary toilet. They've alreay started smashing up the shower tiles so anyone taking the last shower for a while had to wear flipflops to avoid tiles shards and stuff.
    It is a surprisingly large kitchen actually. It echoes.
    And they're taking the 'utility' room roof down soon as well. That's also empty aside from some building materials.
    Did I mention it's raining rivers of rivers here?

Speaking of that. My sister had the most unfortunate credits reward today.
    Quick backstory. My old secondary school operates on a credits system. You do good you get a merit. Three merits is a credit. You can be awarded multiple merits and credits.
    After I left the school they implemented a rewards scheme. Anyone who earned over fifty credits a term (something which is incredibly hard to do, especially for those not participating in after school clubs) get a reward, fully paid by the school.
    Little Sister, naturally, has got those fifty plus credits every single term from her ridiculous number of clubs and extra - curricular activities.
    This term they decided in advance that people who got fifty credits would get to go to the open air pool by the sea and have an ice cream. School's treat. Today.
    Did I mention that it rained rivers of rivers today? And that it was cold?
    They still went swimming.

I guess it wasn't too bad as they would've gotten wet in the pool anyway. So the rain wasn't much of a problem.
    But not many people enjoyed it. Poor Little Sister.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah.

My kitchen is a shell. It has barely three walls, a floor and a ceiling. Nothing else in it but two acros (ceiling supporty thingies as we've demolished one of the supporting walls of the house), some wood, a bag and some dust.
    No sink.
    No cooker.
    No washing machine.
    No tumbledryer.
    Sarting tomorrow there's no shower; no bathroom sink and only a very temporary toilet. They've alreay started smashing up the shower tiles so anyone taking the last shower for a while had to wear flipflops to avoid tiles shards and stuff.
    It is a surprisingly large kitchen actually. It echoes.
    And they're taking the 'utility' room roof down soon as well. That's also empty aside from some building materials.
    Did I mention it's raining rivers of rivers here?
    Sounds like fun.

It's raining here too. <3

26. - Top - End - #116

I missed the Shakespeare discussion?

Always rather liked the tragedies, myself, though there are many Shakespeare plays I haven't read. (That's a vague many, not a troll many). And of the ones I have read, most are tragedies.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Sounds like fun.

It's raining here too. <3
    Naturally. I only pray that the abysmal weather means the work'll progress faster.
    Londinium is in Britland. It is 'summer' in Britland. So it is therefore raining everywhere in Britland.
    [insert cynical British wit over the weather here]

ION: I hate declensions.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Naturally. I only pray that the abysmal weather means the work'll progress faster.
    Londinium is in Britland. It is 'summer' in Britland. So it is therefore raining everywhere in Britland.
    [insert cynical British wit over the weather here]

ION: I hate declensions.
    All hail Britannia!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

On the weather fact, I am willing to accept the fact that it was 40 degrees Celsius in the sun today. Fun fact: it is quite impossible to travel in Tallinn without being exposed to the sun for about 65-75% of the time. How did I spend my day? Wiping rivers of sweat off my back during a five minute badminton game. Also, yesterday the same kind of weather turned almost instantaneously into a MASSIVE fog, in which the maximum vision was about... 20 metres or so. Had real fun at the coastline during night There was a small ledge. The sea wasn't there. I dropped off the edge of the world. That was real fun.

I literally dropped down though, almost jumped. The coastline was really rocky. My shoulder hurts, but no bones are broken, and you know, no pain, no gain!

30. - Top - End - #120

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    All hail Britannia!
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...Interesting. Never associated Britannia with the wing-serpent.

hmm. I have the strangest desire to go walk through the deepest, darkest, heaviest summer storm I can recall.
    Homebrew