New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Admiral Euphoria's Random Banter Thread of Delusional Grandeur #124

Curly: Sit-ups, Pull-ups and running. That aught to train most muscles...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    Curly: Sit-ups, Pull-ups and running. That aught to train most muscles...
    Don't forget push-ups. Those also train upper body strength, but with different muscles than pull-ups.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Don't forget push-ups. Those also train upper body strength, but with different muscles than pull-ups.
    Ah yes, very true.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

4. - Top - End - #1084

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hence why I mentioned investigating your university's offerings. Since you're paying through the nose with them anyway, what little in the way of services you can get from them should be capitalized upon.

Also, unless you're a goddess of the grotesque, you're still supposed to be physically ideal.

And do you actually, y'know, Walk, and Swim. Enough for it to really be strengthening and hardening your body?
    He's right. Although swimming's always a good idea. Can't do too much swimming. Until your skin starts to melt, anyway.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a dumb question for my fellow Americans.

Okay. So I'm writing a story about a seventh grader. It doesn't focus much on school, but for the purposes of said story, I need to know a very simple thing that anyone who has BEEN to an American junior high school would know but that I don't.

Still with me?

I know that each day is divided up into a set of periods by a bell and I know that there are somewhere in the vicinity of nine or eight or seven periods over the course of the day.

What I need to know is:

Are classes the same Monday through Friday, or do you have different classes in each time slot on different days?

Yeah.

Dumb homeschooler, here.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    Murder? It doesn't count if you kill monsters, so find someone dubbed as such by sensationalist media of some form and you've got consequence-free leveling. I mean, er, wite teckts lolz
    Doesn't work like that. You murder someone and BAM 'For the glory of Amn!' or 'Stop right there, criminal scum!'.

7. - Top - End - #1087

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

Okay. So I'm writing a story about a seventh grader. It doesn't focus much on school, but for the purposes of said story, I need to know a very simple thing that anyone who has BEEN to an American junior high school would know but that I don't.

Still with me?

I know that each day is divided up into a set of periods by a bell and I know that there are somewhere in the vicinity of nine or eight or seven periods over the course of the day.

What I need to know is:

Are classes the same Monday through Friday, or do you have different classes in each time slot on different days?

Yeah.

Dumb homeschooler, here.
    For me, classes were always in a different order for each day of the week. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday all had a different order of classes.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

8. - Top - End - #1088

Still with me?

What I need to know is:

Yeah.

Dumb homeschooler, here.
    Most schools have the same classes each day, in the same order.
    A rare few have different classes Mon-Wed-Fri and Tue-Thu
    And it's usually 7 periods around here, although 6 and 8 happen as well.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2009-08-07 at 05:26 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #1089

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Most schools have the same classes each day, in the same order.
    A rare few have different classes Mon-Wed-Fri and Tue-Thu
    And it's usually 7 periods around here, although 6 and 8 happen as well.
    Most schools have the same order each day? I never knew that...

I feel stupid now
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

Not for me back in elementary.
    Each day had seperate schedules(though same periods), but that schedule didn't change per week orso. Only very rarely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, for me in school all my periods were in the same order, all the time.
    "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian,
    I've studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian,
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology)
    Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology!
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian,
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!"

Don't play League of Legends? Want to?

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I had different classes every day. I guess it's variable.

13. - Top - End - #1093

. . .

How does complaining about a really poorly done blood test and the resulting bruise evolve into free exercising tips?
    Only here.
    Walking; I do lots, swimming: not so much due to the fact that I haven't seen summer this year.
    I don't run. But everything else I pretty much do. Except push - ups. I'm a weak, geeky little girl who happens to be a walking library. Push - ups aren't necessary when you can carry thirty books at a time. Providing they're in a box..

@Fred: Y'see, when you ask for a 'present' like that; you're actually wasting money that could be spent on better things. Like a trip with Best Friend to Plymouth!

@DeeRee: even over here we vary the days! From Y1 onwards each day has its own schedule. I can still recite what I had for Mondays in Y7 for some strange reason. Mostly because it was pretty awful.
    Math (period 1)
    Geography (period 2)
    Double Science (3 and 4)
    DOUBLE PE (5 and 6)
    Nobody likes double PE last thing. Especially on a Monday. The only other worst time it could be would be Double PE first thing on a Monday.
    Which was what I had in Y8. It was good that one time it snowed in the morning and they let us have a 'snowball fight'.
    But that was when there were six periods to a day, a twenty minutes break, an hour for lunch and each lesson lasted fifty five minutes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, my school did it on a 4 per day schedule, with every other day (known as A days and B days) having different classes.
    Also, the "8th" block of B day was rotating black, meaning that every B day had a new class at the end of it.
    It was not pleasant, as you can tell.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DD the Cookiemonster View Post
    Not for me back in elementary.
    Each day had seperate schedules(though same periods), but that schedule didn't change per week orso. Only very rarely.
    But you're not American, silly!

So it looks like it's totally variable by school. Excellent. That means I can do whatever I want.

Edit: It's slightly embarrassing, but I was re-reading Harry Potter last week (sorry, Curly ) and I FINALLY GOT that "double potions with the Slytherins" meant not that it was a double-sized class (both houses), but that it was a DOUBLE PERIOD.

DUH.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2009-08-07 at 05:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Doesn't work like that. You murder someone and BAM 'For the glory of Amn!' or 'Stop right there, criminal scum!'.
    Aha! Not if you get someone to ask you to do it beforehand.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

But you're not American, silly!
    No, but I would like to implement various dutch school systems upon the USA. Oh the confusion and chaos would make me shudder with delight and glee!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Banned

Aha! Not if you get someone to ask you to do it beforehand.
    You think The Flaming Fist cares for your excuses? No! You'll pay the fine, or it's off to jail for you.

19. - Top - End - #1099

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    You think The Flaming Fist cares for your excuses? No! You'll pay the fine, or it's off to jail for you.
    I didn't see them complaining when I killed Sarevok nanana shush logic be damned

20. - Top - End - #1100

I didn't see them complaining when I killed Sarevok nanana shush logic be damned
    Law enforcement has an elevation limit. If you can dig deep enough, you can get away with any crime.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Banned

Scrabble game is going on after I get some tea if anyone is out there who wants in.

Lexulous.com. Multiplayer Room. We'll wait a wee while.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

First things first. Only squares and old people refer to it as junior high unless this is a regional thing I am unaware of, or the school is actually named a junior high school. Otherwise it's just called Middle School.

It varies depending upon scheduling, but I believe most places either have the same blocks (Math, Language, Lunch, Whatever, Elective, Other Thing) and then the elective area is different depending upon the day or there's an A and a B schedule with MWF being different from TTh. Though some places have it so that MWF and TTh alternate depending upon the week with which one is A and which is B.

It varies depending upon the school/state/school district. As my high school actually was using a different scheduling system from at least two other high schools in my school district (the joys of living in a small city of 300K.)

My experiences are a bit jumbled due to going to middle school in three different states, so, yeah.

And while you can do what your squelchy guts demand, remember to keep it consistent if you do.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-08-07 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ettin in the Playground

First things first. Only squares and old people refer to it as junior high unless this is a regional thing I am unaware of, or the school is actually named a junior high school. Otherwise it's just called Middle School.
    I was using the term because the school in question in the story IS a jr. high, not a middle school - it's a 7th/8th/9th (this for narrative purposes)...

Sounds like the schools are pretty variable in scheduling. thanks...'s been most helpful.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ogre in the Playground

I went to an actual Junior High back when they were being phased out (I was in the last 9th grade class where it was still a Junior High before becoming a Middle School the next year). It was the same schedule every day of the week.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was using the term because the school in question in the story IS a jr. high, not a middle school - it's a 7th/8th/9th (this for narrative purposes)...
    When is this set? Because that's most unusual as of the past... oh, 20 odd years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

When is this set? Because that's most unusual as of the past... oh, 20 odd years...
    Really? One of my good friends goes to a school like that, and where we lived in California, it was the same...I thought it had more to do with the population of the area than anything (having fewer kids in the high schools).

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Troll in the Playground

It varies depending upon scheduling, but I believe most places either have the same blocks (Math, Language, Lunch, Whatever, Elective, Other Thing) and then the elective area is different depending upon the day or there's an A and a B schedule with MWF being different from TTh. Though some places have it so that MWF and TTh alternate depending upon the week with which one is A and which is B.

It varies depending upon the school/state/school district. As my high school actually was using a different scheduling system from at least two other high schools in my school district (the joys of living in a small city of 300K.)

My experiences are a bit jumbled due to going to middle school in three different states, so, yeah.

And while you can do what your squelchy guts demand, remember to keep it consistent if you do.
    All of those are regionally- or even locally-varying things, Coid. For example: where I am there are no "middle schools," they're all still Junior Highs, and they are referred to as such. And they all teach grades 7-9 (save for one which teaches grades 6-9 - it's in a tiny little town where keeping the JHS open would not be economically viable if they moved the 6th graders to the elementary school; but grades 10-12 are bused to a neighboring town).

Locally, scheduling generally follows the traditional US pattern, with the exact same schedule every day, M-F. The electives are the same every day, as well.

I have also subbed for a school system in another state which used "block scheduling," with alternating A and B schedules, at the high school level; in that district the block scheduling did not kick in until Senior High, and the Junior High was still run on the "traditional" schedule (as the other staff referred to it). (And in that district, too, the older- and younger-level schools were referred to as Senior and Junior High respectively - even though the Jr High was, by name, a Middle School.) Block scheduling was not universally popular - while acknowledging that there are many things which one can do in a single two-hour period which cannot be done in two one-hour periods, critics pointed out that two hours is a very long time to expect some teenagers (or adults, for that matter) to stay in their seats, alert, and focused. That, AFAIK, was the reason the district was in no hurry to implement block scheduling for the younger students.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #1108

Hmm, I'm interested in playing Risk tonight. What website do we use for that? I've heard it mentioned here, but I've never actually played online.

Edit: Also, is anybody else interested? I think it's best with 4 or more people.
    Last edited by Alteran; 2009-08-07 at 09:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. I might be up for a game of Risk. I'm in the process of playing a game right now with my cousins (long-term game, as in a week, not a day). I just made a huge gamble to wipe another player out in order to get her risk cards (I would have ended up with 7 risk cards at the end of my turn). It came down to one last soldier to defeat, and I was rolling with one die. I lost.

Still worth it.

30. - Top - End - #1110

That's two players, then! Any other takers?