New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Sort-of-Definitive Music Thread

I've noticed not a lot of music threads. Sure, there's a few on specific topics, like you're musical shame, and you can go back a fiew pages to find ancient threads about favourite bands and such, but nothing about discussing music in general. Also, music seems to be outnumbered here. If my avatars aren't clue enough, I like music! One of my favourite topics for discussion.

So what this thread is supposed to be is simply a free-flowing discussion about music. Discuss the virtues of a specific band or song, who your guitar hero is, etc. As long as it's about music. If you have something specific you'd like to discuss, best to be making another thread. Feel free to go off topic, just as long as the new topic is about music.

I'll start with the simple concept of "what's your favourite band/musician and why?"

Mine? Nirvana. Don't look at me like that. I'm emotionally stable and mentally healthy with no suicidal tendencies. I also don't idolize Kurt Cobain as much as I identify with the guy. Of all the celebrities ever, he was the one who came of as actually human. And the music is so much more than loud. Listen to the MTV Unplugged album and you'll see how. Nirvana was just emotinally pure, with well-written, intelligent lyrics. And Dave Grohl ranks as one of my favourite drummers. To bad he's singing/guitaring with that sort-of-okay band of his now.
    Remember when I had an avatar?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sort-of-Definitive Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRockStar
    And Dave Grohl ranks as one of my favourite drummers. To bad he's singing/guitaring with that sort-of-okay band of his now.
    Um...

*awkward pause*

Yeah, that "sort-of-okay band" is actually the first thing that came to mind when you asked what my favorite band is. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the Foo Fighters are the only band where I can honestly say I like every song I've ever heard by them.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3

No offense meant, towards the Foo Fighters or to your taste in music. I like their sound, but they just don't seem that different from other generic alternative rock acts, and I primarily rate my favourite musicians on inventiveness. I think it's great that Dave Grohl is doing his own thing and not carrying on in the shadow of Nirvana, unlike some other musicians of disbanded groups (no names), but I just can't get behind their music.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

No offense taken.

Another band I like is Audioslave, they were the second band I thought of.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

Audioslave is a fantastic band. I really need to see them live.

Favorite? I would have to throw Dream Theater into the ring as the best band to ever grace the earth.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Favourite band?

Bad Religion, no real question there. They have been going since 1981 and they only get better each album. Considering they label themselves as a Punk Rock band, their sound is rather unique. They also have amazing lyrics, and well, their is not only unique, it's great! Oh, and I am stoked out of my mind... They're coming to Ottawa in October!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Pirate Lucky by Ceika, Lady Luck by Ego, Lucky Luke by Captain Van Der Decken

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky, The Leprechaun
    Favourite band?

Bad Religion, no real question there. They have been going since 1981 and they only get better each album.
    Well, their no-Gurewitz albums (with the exception of The Gray Race) were rather weak. I'm just glad they came back to form again with The Process of Belief. And The Empire Strikes First is just awesome. My favourite Punk Rock band, for sure.

As for my favourite band... hard for me to pick only one, considering I like lots of different Rock styles. The Smashing Pumpkins come to mind in the Grunge/Alternative section. Sure, Corgan is a weirdo, and a prick to boot, but his compositions were awesome back then (not in his solo album, which, IMHO, sucks so much it's not funny). They were also the first time I learned not to consider the singer's voice as the main selling point of a band. My mother used to say Corgan's voice sounds like a tortured cat. I tend to agree... ;D. Pearl Jam would come second in this section, followed closely by Nirvana.

Now for the Metal side. I already sang the praises for Opeth and Symphony X in the "Overrated/Underrated" thread, so I won't repeat myself here. Other great bands are Rage, Blind Guardian (not so much lately), Testament, Hypocrisy... But my absolute favourite right now is Nevermore (even though they kind of sucked when I saw them live two weeks ago :-/). I even got my nickname from their most awesome album, called Dreaming Neon Black ;D.

As for classic Rock, three words which are not words: R.E.M., U2, and AC/DC.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beatles, Beatles, Beatles, Beatles.

Really, these are easily my favorite guys of all time. They have some great simple tunes from the early albums like "Twist and Shout" "I Should Have Known Better" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and they also have complex layered, experimental stuff like "I Am The Walrus" "Within You, Without You" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

My favorite Beatle is easily George Harrison. His songs are often the standouts of the album, including "Something" "I Me Mine" "Think for Yourself" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Also, IMO, he's the only Beatle who got better after the break-up.

My favorite current bands are Jimmy Eat World and Green Day.

Jimmy Eat World I like for lyricism, although they have a few songs where the instruments are good. "Get It Faster" has my favorite guitar solo since "Iron Man"

I like new and old Green Day equally, old Green Day because of the raw feeling and new Green Day because of the polish and work that goes into each of their songs. Seems contradictory, but I know what I like, and new/old Green Day are not mutually exclusive.

And then there's Relient K, a semi-mainstream Christian band. They're great. I have liked every single song on their last two albums, no exaggeration.
    a secret to everybody.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack
    Well, their no-Gurewitz albums (with the exception of The Gray Race) were rather weak.
    Well, I'll admit The New America was rather weak, but I will have to disagree with you, I quite enjoyed No Substance and have trouble seeing it being weak... There were no big stand out songs, but the title track, and songs like Hear It, Raise Your Voice, The Same Person, and Victims of the Revolution were quite solid and very fun to listen to, and overall it was a good album.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel out of place.
    My favorite band is Athlete, though my favorite singers are Dido and Robbie Williams.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Various and sundry punk bands for me, but the ones I keep coming back to are The Clash and Operation Ivy/Rancid. I'm also quite fond of a band called F-minus.

Outside of punk, I would have to with Springsteen, probably, as my favourite artist, although I've been listening to a fair amount of Hole lately, oddly enough.
    Trophies and current avi by Lord Herman!

12. - Top - End - #12

You're not the only one feeling out of place, Jibar. Seems a lot of people here like standard alternative rock, which is okay. As I said, Nirvana is my favourite. But when it comes to "current" music, my tastes run more towards indie rock and indie pop. My favourite bands of that particular genre include Arcade Fire, Radiohead, and Neutral Milk Hotel(which is sort of an aquired taste, I've found). When it comes to "classic" rock, I'm partial to prog-rock and art rock, particularly The Velvet Underground, Supertramp and Pink Floyd(both early and late).

And, of course, there's the Beatles, who did more to push music ahead than anyone since some caveman started grunting musical notes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to my last.fm profile my favorite bands are

1 AFI
    2 Nightmare of You
    3 System of a Down
    4 Yellowcard
    5 lostprophets
    6 Muse
    7 Thrice
    8 The Dresden Dolls
    9 Matchbook Romance
    10 The Smashing Pumpkins

But for how much music I really listen to I'd say Thrice is lower (not top 10 for sure) and Fort Minor is much higher (like on my top 10). And Somehow AFI should be a lot higher because they are the other cd I have in my car. Of course that list is 5 days old, so everything may of changed spots by now...
    I guess you could say I don't have a favorite band I more just have a dynamic interest in music.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRockStar
    You're not the only one feeling out of place, Jibar. Seems a lot of people here like standard alternative rock, which is okay. As I said, Nirvana is my favourite. But when it comes to "current" music, my tastes run more towards indie rock and indie pop. My favourite bands of that particular genre include Arcade Fire, Radiohead, and Neutral Milk Hotel(which is sort of an aquired taste, I've found). When it comes to "classic" rock, I'm partial to prog-rock and art rock, particularly The Velvet Underground, Supertramp and Pink Floyd(both early and late).

And, of course, there's the Beatles, who did more to push music ahead than anyone since some caveman started grunting musical notes.
    Well, actually, my Mp3 player is loaded with Nirvana, The Clash, Misfits etc. You just asked for my favourite. ;)
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

You can dance if you want to
    You can leave your friends behind...
    It\'s just a flesh wound!&&&&Constipated Monkey&&@(>_<)@&&&&\"My doctor says that I have a malformed public duty gland and a defiency in moral fiber and I am therefore excused from saving universes\"&&-Ford Prefect

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm the guy that loves power/speed/score/epic metal, music such as Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarius, and that is only naming a few.

Do I have a definite all-time favorite band? No, of course not. I have many, hehe.

HOWEVER, there are msuic that I just refuse to listen to, especially anything Pop, Rap, anything Pop related (GreenDay, Simple Plan), and all that bad emo music. I mean no offense to anyone, just explaining my tastes and dislikes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Uber_Nerd
    You can dance if you want to
    You can leave your friends behind...
    ;D

Anyway...favorite band....

Nightwish, hands down. They are a finnish band for those of you who may not have heard of them. According to the band they play: "Melodic Heavy Metal with a female voice" which pretty well describes the stunning vocals and fantastic rhythms of this group. I'm quite quite quite upset that Tarja Turunen, their fantastic lead singer has just left the group, she 'made' this music and I cannot imagine how they will survive without her. Think Evanescense without Amy Lee....just doesn't seem right. sigh..

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

She didn't leave the group, the other guys kicked her out

Or so... that was what I heard.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Disturbed is my favorite band. I like every song on their two CDs. Korn and HIM are close runner ups. (I suppose it's pretty obvious that I listen to alternative muisc ;) ) I also listen to a lot of instramental music, mostly by Midnight Sydicate and Nox Arcana. . . oh, and almost any Final Fantasy game soundtrack.
    Tiferet: So, can I be the apprentice Logic Ninja? ;D &&&&The Logic Ninja: Yes! You may be my apprentice, and together... we will SHOW THEM ALL! MWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... ahem.&&&&Thanks to Sneak for the wonderful avatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Hey, know who kicks tushy? Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Know who kicks tushy even more? Led Zeppelin.

Know who will rock forever? The Beatles. ;D

21. - Top - End - #21
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniel
    She didn't leave the group, the other guys kicked her out

Or so... that was what I heard.
    Why would they do that? She's so great....and after 9 years?

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know, really.

I'm just saying what I've heard.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caillach
    Hey, know who kicks tushy? Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    Hell yes they kick tushy.
    I'm rather disappointed though that I only have their greatest hits album.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

24. - Top - End - #24

^ You should really pick up Stadium Arcadium. I was quite impressed with it. Of course, the "Dani California" video has become a bit bothersome after all the heavy airplay it's been getting on MuchMusic, but still a great song.

Alarra: Wikipedia says she was fired by the band in an open letter, citing "a changed attitude." Too bad. I really like her voice. Love the operatic touch she gave Nightwish.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I quite like the "Dani California" video.
    And if all my monies didn't always end up going to books and video games, I would buy Stadium Arcadium, but I know people who aren't usually Chilli fans who say they love it.
    Nothing but a Nobody

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no favourite band, though I like Bach a lot.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

If I had to say one band, it'd be Journey right now, of course my opinion changes every day or so. For instance, yesterday I would have said Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and about a week or so ago it was George Thorogood. I can't say what I like in a band, or why I'd pick them, just something in me says "this band rocks".

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jibar-Cat, King of Koalas
    I quite like the "Dani California" video.
    And if all my monies didn't always end up going to books and video games, I would buy Stadium Arcadium, but I know people who aren't usually Chilli fans who say they love it.
    I preffer the first disc to the second. They had some really dinamite songs on the first disc, which I highly recomend you listen to. Dani California, Slow Cheeta, and Strip My Mind, really amazed me, they were so brilliant both in lyrical and musical achievement. Just great songs. (even though Dani California sounds a little bit like a Tom Petty song)

All in all if you don't have many Chili discs, but like their music I highly reacomend you get at least one of these three: Californication, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, or Stadium Arcadium. In my opinion these are their best.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiferet
    Disturbed is my favorite band. I like every song on their two CDs.
    Disturbed has at least three CDs, wouldn'tcha know.

Favorite bands? Ouch, hard to name just one. I mostly listen to varied indie stuff. Dance-punk, post-punk, post-rock, indie pop.

Specific bands:
    The Arcade Fire
    Architecture in Helsinki
    Murder by Death
    The New Pornographers
    Wolf Parade

If anybody else listens to any of those bands, they can apply for a free Cookie of Recognition of Awesome Music Tastes.

Least favorite music? Probably progressive metal. It doesn't work for me in the slightest.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

30. - Top - End - #30

Ooh! Another Indie lover! I listen to all of the above; can I get five cookies?

My favourite of the ones you mentioned is definitely Arcade Fire. I'm actually listening to Funeral right now.