New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

Has anyone else read this book? Does anyone else understand just how awesome this book is? Discuss!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

I assume you don't mean Pride & Prejudice? because that one I read.
    And now I'm wondering what that story can become by adding Zombies.
    thanks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, it's an actual book. Seen it a few times in my local Borders.
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

4. - Top - End - #4

That looks like the best book ever.
    I'm gonna get it if I see it.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I own it, but unfortunately have not yet had time to start reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I started reading it and got deathly bored. The parts written by the new guy are rather over-the-top and trying too hard to sound like Jane Austen and be interesting at the same time. The original parts have no such problem: they're completely Jane Austen, and not interesting at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Read it, liked it, looking forward to the next one. I wasn't quite sure about the welding job between the new text and the old, but then I've never read the original book, so...
    Dr. Manhattan+tiny Rorshach Avatar by drKarling, much appreciated.
    The Deductive Adventures of Rex Kingdom, P.I. is an awful parody detective serial.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I started reading it and got deathly bored. The parts written by the new guy are rather over-the-top and trying too hard to sound like Jane Austen and be interesting at the same time. The original parts have no such problem: they're completely Jane Austen, and not interesting at all.
    I was afraid of this so I didn't buy it.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Read the free online preview of the first chapter. A lapidary masterpiece of English literature soiled by a hack who couldn't write his own story. It was like watching a child with crayons try to colour in some Gustav Dore.

Further proof, if any was needed, that geeks have no critical faculties if you offer them something with one of their preferred shiny things attached.

"Huuuuuur ZOMBIES! Huuuuuuur..." - a geek, yesterday

@v: True, JA's a proper Marmite author (you either love her, or hate her). Some of us happen to like Marmite though, and only have to take one bite to conclude that the existing recipe doesn't need added rotting flesh.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-08-28 at 01:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Read the free online preview of the first chapter. A lapidary masterpiece of English literature soiled by a hack who couldn't write his own story. It was like watching a child with crayons try to colour in some Gustav Dore.
    Then again, this is all subject to opinion, where as I know at least a passing few find Miss Austin's book to be a witless, droll, and bland writer who could no sooner pen her way through a paper bag then create a single "lapidary masterpiece of English literature"

Then again, i'm bloody sick and tired of zombies, and not even the shambling undead could raise this borish, bloated and otherwise drab book out of its own self important fetid rot. Though, true to form, it did in fact eat my brain. Out of boredom. Which, again, is just what I thought of it. I don't like zombies, I find Miss Austin...well the above sums it up, so all in all...not surprised. But at least I got through it to form an opinion.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2009-08-28 at 01:16 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I read it, and enjoyed it, although I think this was more for the parts that were done by Jane Austin rather than the zombie parts that were added in.

I'd never read the original (although my fiancee has made me watch the movie a couple of times), but I've always felt that I should read it, simply because Jane Austin is an important part of being a well-read person, so this gave me a way to read it without having to surrender my man card.

If you've never read P&P, and are looking for an excuse to read it without looking like a total pansy, pickup P&P&Z. You can easily pick out what the original story was, and every so often you get to read about Elizabeth Bennet kicking someone in the face.

That being said, this guy's next book, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, is completely his own, so I feel like it will be a better measure of the quality of his writing

Side note: If you want a really good, well written zombie book; pick up World War Z. It's fantastic.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I picked it up the other day, but haevn't got around to reading it yet. I've read the original and found it one of the funniest books I've ever read. We'll see how well this guy can emulate Miss Austen's style.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it's a bit more than just Austin with some guy spot-welding zombies in the cracks. It's a completely overhauled narrative, & the flow from the mundane to the bizarre is simultaneously seemless & jarring. One moment, courtships & banquets are being discussed, then next moment is spent violently dispatching "the Unmentionables". All without missing a beat.

Also, it seeks to justify some of the unexplained plot devices in the original work. There is now much more reasoning behind why there is a militia at Meryton, why Mrs. Bennet is such a git, & why Charlotte Lucas would hook up with someone like Mr. Collins. I was impressed, & came away with the sense that Seth Graham-Smith actually studied & cared for the original quite a bit.

Also, from Quirk Press is the upcoming Sense & Sensibility & Sea-Monsters. No joke.

Lastly, WWZ is the magnus opus of undead literature. No other novel deals with the subject with just depth & reverence. It is the pinnicle of a very strange genre.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I just bought this but I haven't read it yet. It looks to be amazing, especially since we're reading the original for school this year. I'm going to save it until then so I don't mix the two up.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fairly certain most English majors (including myself) and Jane Austen fans (not including myself) find this apalling.

Besides, isn't that a kind of plagarism?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-08-28 at 03:28 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

16. - Top - End - #16

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I'm fairly certain most English majors (including myself) and Jane Austen fans (not including myself) find this apalling.

Not really, for the same reason as wired all songs, it falls under parody.

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post

Further proof, if any was needed, that geeks have no critical faculties if you offer them something with one of their preferred shiny things attached.

"Huuuuuur ZOMBIES! Huuuuuuur..." - a geek, yesterday
    But... I like shiny things.
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-08-28 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kopout View Post
    Not really, for the same reason as wired all songs, it falls under parody.
    I thought it was because it was in the public domain. Hmm, that gives me an idea...

*Goes off to turn Call of Cthulhu into a victorian love-story*

Or not.

18. - Top - End - #18

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    I thought it was because it was in the public domain. Hmm, that gives me an idea...

Or not.
    Don't, I might be wrong.
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-08-28 at 04:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Is there any chance that the zombie parts are meant to show the dark parts of the Victorian Age that Austen always seems oblivious to? I haven't read the book, but that's what I would have done if I wrote it. Maybe something where the zombies represent the servants and the children and everyone else who does not have a voice in her works.
    Last edited by Strawman; 2009-08-28 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like what I'd expect.

I'm an English major, and I just find it weird. Can't fathom what would cause someone to want to write such a book. Not even the abject boredom and overwhelming desire to go do literally anything else that reading Jane Austen inspired in me.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2009-08-28 at 06:16 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I completely agree.

I waited a month to get this form the library on hold.

Very, very disappointing.
    Avy by Ink.

22. - Top - End - #22

I read part of it.

It was hilarious.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post

Or not.

Thats actually been done by the same people. Sense and sensibility and merpeople, I think...
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drakeblood4 View Post
    Thats actually been done by the same people. Sense and sensibility and merpeople, I think...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Also, from Quirk Press is the upcoming Sense & Sensibility & Sea-Monsters. No joke.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Is there any chance that the zombie parts are meant to show the dark parts of the Victorian Age that Austen always seems oblivious to? I haven't read the book, but that's what I would have done if I wrote it. Maybe something where the zombies represent the servants and the children and everyone else who does not have a voice in her works.
    That sounds even more tedious than a Jane Austen novel.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Not legally as Jane Austen's works are in the public domain.

There's nothing preventing you from writing Sense and Sensibility and Space Aliens (but please don't )

I like Jane Austen and I don't like zombies so I will not read the book. However, I do like Pride and Prejudice.

As for the questions posed: "Also, it seeks to justify some of the unexplained plot devices in the original work. There is now much more reasoning behind why there is a militia at Meryton, why Mrs. Bennet is such a git, & why Charlotte Lucas would hook up with someone like Mr. Collins. I was impressed, & came away with the sense that Seth Graham-Smith actually studied & cared for the original quite a bit."

Charlotte Lucas hooks up with Mr. Collins because she is in her late 20s and is scared of becoming an old maid. He also has good financial prospects being Mr. Bennet's heir*. There is a militia at Meryton because of the threat from Napoleon resulting in an increase of the British military (and they have to be stationed somewhere). Mrs. Bennet is a git because she is from a lower social class. Mr. Bennet (a landed gentleman) married her because he found her physically attractive. This causes her to be a fish out of water and results in her youngest daughters being similiar.

*Mr Bennet's property is entailed which means he cannot sell it. Nor can he legally leave it to his daughters or anyone else. With no son, the property will pass on to the nearest male relative who is Mr. Collins. Mr. Collins is a distant enough cousin so it would be acceptable for one of Mr. Bennet's daughters to marry him. That's why Mrs. Bennet is angry at Elizabeth for rejecting Collins.
    Last edited by snoopy13a; 2009-08-31 at 12:42 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I enjoy the unmentionable attacks, but I fall asleep during nearly every non-zombie part. I don't even want to try it without zombie. Never gonna get through it in time to finish my essay on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

This is more along the lines of what I'd like to see...

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

I really enjoyed Pride and Prejudice, but I don't like zombies. Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters could be fun, though...
    I dunno, though... Does a parody of a parody really work, though? Cuz wasn't Austen lampooning her society?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    This is more along the lines of what I'd like to see...
    As humorous as that is, it is fundamentally inaccurate. Elizabeth represents the prejudice in the title, & so it should be Predator & Prejudice. Duh.