New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Dragons of Autumn-DragonLance II

Pearl

Pearl does a quick circuit of the small building, and steps back out into the corridor/road.

"I like it fine, Tygerlily. I especially like that there aren't any draconians in there waiting to come out after us."

Taking up sword in one hand and lantern in the other, Pearl turns and speaks softly to the others.

"We've got those big doors still-"

She points to the double doors north of the area with the pots.

"And the big, um, street. Tunnel. Whatever. But we should probably wait until Gneiss gets back."

She shines the lamp down the tunnel, hoping very hard not to see a pair of large eyes reflecting the lantern light back to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    A brief search (1d20+2)[3]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

In the meantime, Kalrin has been examining the large doors, attempting to fit a gemstone into a vacant depression.

Spoiler
    Show
    How about a search check while we're at it?
    Search:(1d20+4)[10]
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Pearl does a quick search and doesn’t find anything of interest. Tygerlilly is busy worrying at the doorknob and lock. Kalrin is at the big double doors on the northern side of the courtyard. He’s looking at the pitted doors trying to fit a gemstone in, there’s no obvious place for a gem to fit in.

Gneiss is still off investigating.

Spoiler
    Show
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bryce

Bryce bends down and picks up a small pebble from the pavement at his feet. He begins absentmindedly bouncing it off the back of his gauntleted hand as he softly whispers a tuneless little song to pass the time.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Lagri stands idly by. He pats his sculpted abs to the rhythm of Bryce's whistle and looks around.
    A post about nothing.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Gneiss

Gneiss slinks westward along the hall to the doorway, where he pauses a moment to listen before proceeding farther.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+7)[8]
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[10]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[21]
    Search: (1d20+13)[31]

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Lagri pats his abs as he listens to Tygerlilly give up on the knob and lock. There’s the eternal sound of water dripping and running across the floor and the distant sound of a door closing.

Gneiss listens cautiously at the door before he opens it and looks inside. There’s a thick layer of green slime everywhere and water dripping from the walls. It doesn’t look like anyone has been in this room/building for a long time. There’s a partition about 10 feet from the door and when he pauses to listen again, there’s no hint of sound from the other side.

Tygerlilly bounces a little on her toes, Wow, this is boring! I want to see the dragon already, where do you think it is? I’m quite sure if we yell loud enough it’ll come. Don’t you think? Why wouldn’t it? I’m bored. She looks around for a moment, the same old, same old, still here. She goes into the room Pearl was just looking into and checks it out again and pops back out after a few minutes. Man, nothing in there! She pops over to door opposite the room she was just in and boldly tries the knob…

Spoiler
    Show
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Pearl glanced back at the others with a look that suggested that it was easier sometimes to go along with the kender sometimes than to thwart her. She follows Tygerlily along to the next door, standing behind her and keeping watch against the prospect of something nasty approaching from the west.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

Gneiss

Lip curling in distaste at the slime-filled room, Gneiss backs away from the door and lets it swing shut quietly. He continues to follow the corridor as it bends north again, hoping it will lead back to the rest of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+7)[14]
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[14]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[18]
    Listen: (1d20+8)[10]
    Search: (1d20+13)[14]

10. - Top - End - #550
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hector

Slightly alarmed at Tygerlilly's declaration of being bored, Hector makes sure to stay near the kender as she goes on her quest to find something interesting to do. He had to admit, he wouldn't be disappointed her to see her succeed.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kalrin too blanches as the prospect of a bored Kender. However, it meant there'd soon be something interesting, even if Tigerlilly had to create it herself. He follows the Kender and Hector.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

The knob turns and she flings the door open. The smell of mildew and slime mixes with the sound of dripping water and she makes a funny face, EW! Why does this place have to stink so much! She peeks inside as she holds her nose, Nope, nobody inside. Bah!

Gneiss sneaks his way up the north corridor and he can see the others in the distance near the large courtyard. Most of them seem to be gathered around a doorway.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Pearl holds in a sigh of relief, both as Tygerlily exercises her curiosity without getting anyone killed, and she spots Gneiss approaching from the south. As he gets close, she murmurs quietly to him.

"Nothing unusual in either of the small doors. I think Kalrin checked on the double doors, but -"

She shrugs slightly.

"Anything unusual down the way that you went, or should we keep going along this street?"

She gestures west.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Gneiss

Gneiss emerges from the south corridor and moves back to the group. "Nothing interesting down that way," he says, jerking one thumb southward and shrugging. "That direction," he points back over his shoulder to the west, "Should be gully dwarf territory, according to that drunken draconian."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Lagri twists and traipses through the stone corridors until he stumbles upon the gathering of vexed adventurers: Pearl, Gneiss, and Tygerlilly.

"Hyur mainlander lodges are wery confusink. I do not tink zis deck is made for a vyrm, too..." he makes a pinching gesture with his forefinger and thumb, "not big. Haf-voman finds a vay up, maybe?"
    A post about nothing.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Pearl absorbs this information, and responds to Gneiss first.

"Thats...good to be braced for. I'm not sure how much more I can take, but at the very least, maybe we can let them know that the pots have been disabled, and that the gully dwarves might have a chance of organizing an esca-"

The thought died on Pearl's lips, as she realized that she had used the phrase "gully dwarves" and the word "organized" in the same sentence. She shook her head, and turned her attention to Lagri.

"I understand, Lagri, but you have to understand that most mainland cities aren't buried under a swamp. And as for this not being big enough for a dragon..."

She glances at the street they're standing in, which seemed about twenty feet wide to her untutored eye.

"I think that if this is too narrow for the dragon, I'm happy. Remember, we're not down here to find the dragon, we're here to find the disks, right?"

She turned to include the others in the conversation.

"Further down this passageway, and checking out the south passages when we can? Not that we don't want to run into gully dwarf territory, but..."

Pearl was having an attack of niceness, but it was clear from her tone that she would rather wade through muck up to her waist than visit with the gully dwarves again. Come to think of it, the two were often pretty much the same.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Gneiss

Gneiss considers Pearl's words for a moment. "Well, the draconians probably have a way in and out of the dragon's lair that doesn't lead through Gully turf. Likely through those double doors north of the square," he muses. "On the other hand, when and if we find that path, it'll probably be crawling with draconians - could be a rough go. The gullies might know another way in. An easier way. And even if they don't, what do we have to lose by trying?" He looks up at Pearl expectantly.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Pearl fights to maintain her composed and determined expression, and fails.

"Aside from my peace of mind and your mirror? Nothing, particularly. Lead on - I'll trust you."

19. - Top - End - #559

RedWizardGuy

Bryce

The knight nods. "I'm not looking forward to more time with gully dwarves, but Gneiss is right. They're our best bet of finding the Disks without notice." He falls into step behind Pearl and Gneiss.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Tygerlilly's ears perk up, You want me to find a way up? Weren't we just up there and came down? Why'd we come down if we were supposed to stay up there? Er...I don't remember actually coming down anywhere, are you sure we're down? and not up? This is getting confusing, which one is it? Are we going to find the gully dwarves? Where do you think they are? She bounces a little as she waits to see if anyone is going anywhere interesting.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

Map:

Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Gathering the group, Pearl heads off to the west after Gneiss.

Spoiler
    Show
    My assumption is that we're going to the next major intersection, glancing south into those rooms on the way there.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Gneiss

Gneiss sighs. "You know, I was halfway hoping you'd talk me out of this," he mutters to Pearl's back while she gathers the others. He turns and sets off westward.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Tygerlilly bounces along in the rear, ranging here and there and everywhere.

Spoiler
    Show

At the end of the street, there's another road going south/north. To the south, torrents of water batter the rubble, hurling mists into the air, then settle into a stream running north down the street. Vines twist and wind their way up the side of the cavern beside the waterfall.

To the north, it looks like it opens into a larger area, there's a faint light source in that direction. Water is running south/north down the middle of the wide street.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

As the group reached the end of the passage, Pearl gestures to Hector.

"Could you...let me hold onto the end of your pole for a moment?"

There's a moment at which Pearl realizes the degree to which she's opened herself to ridicule. She gulps and moves on as quickly as possible.

"I'd like to make sure I don't get swept away."

If Hector is willing, she takes hold of the end of the shaft, and carefully wades across the stream to the far side.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Gneiss

Gneiss chuckles at Pearl's choice of words. "It's not such a wide stream, lass," he says. "I bet young Hector here, or mad Lagri, could jump across it easily. I'd give myself fair odds of doing it, come to that. So why not have one of us do that and pass a rope across? Then you can get to the other side without having to grab at Hector's pole," he finishes with a grin.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Pearl shakes her head. Did he really not know her so well.

"The very point was to not risk jumping across onto possibly unstable material, Gneiss. You're growing rash in your old age. But if you'd like to do the leaping, let's at least tie a rope around you first."

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

As Pearl cautiously makes her way across the water rushes past and the pole steadies her. In the center, the water comes up to her knees. Tygerlilly pops forward to check it out. She dips one hand in the water and hurriedly takes it out, Oh! That's cold!
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Pearl

Once across, Pearl releases Hector's polearm with a nod of thanks. Kicking ineffectually to shake off some of the water, Pearl shrugs. She again draws her sword, and lifts her lantern and checks in with the others.

"It is indeed, cold but clear. So to speak. Shall we push on to the north? Perhaps some of us on this side, and some on the other?"

30. - Top - End - #570

RedWizardGuy

Bryce

"That sounds reasonable to me," Bryce says. "I'll stay on this side, if you don't mind." The knight had had more than enough of wet and uncomfortable armor lately. It itched.