New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Like playing Metroid Prime 3 and Fire Emblem. Darn good games.
    I loooove Brawl and No More Heroes too. Fun stuff.

@Katara: The Wii is not a, to quote, "toddlers plaything with less dignity than a jar of tree sap". Can't say I find that a fair statement to make. Nor was your analysis of the PS3 correct, since Sony no longer loses money on them, and in fact broke even over a year before they even expected too. The 360 I am not a personal fan of, but it's a fine system with only a few minor issues (the Red Ring of Death issue) that has since been rectified.

If you are going to make a controversial point, it helps to have a real argument, not "lol consoles suck". Just sayin'. I'd love to hear some real points, but so far, I just haven't seen any.

Oh, and speaking as someone who has several family members who ARE millionaires, yeah, theft hurts. A lot. It doesn't make theft right just because they have money. Often times, they worked hard to earn their wealth. Corporations are much the same. It's highly insulting that you would presume otherwise. I have a family member who is a member on the board of a high Fortune 500 company, and when someone damages their property or steals their intellectual works, the company suffers. They're human too, treat them as such please. It's only fair.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-10-15 at 12:17 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KataraAltinaII's Premature Not So Short & To-The-Point Random Banter #130

You can't say that a PS1 was a system that is still used and yet diss the PS2, which lacked nothing the PS1 had, and added more. It's backwards compatability was flawless. Every game, and every save, was fully functional. Not like the PS3, which only included SOME backwards compatibility in the early models, and none in the later ones. Or the X-Box 360, which has backwards capability, that doesn't work.

And while the Wii does have it's uses, I've found that the one my family and I find it occupies most is "that white box that sits there while the real consoles get all the action".

PC gaming... well, I'm sure that'll come out with some awesome titles again soon.
    They haven't been doing as well since consoles became the gamers medium of choice, but PC games have held in there. For the most part...

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Oh, and speaking as someone who has several family members who ARE millionaires...
    Hi, I'm Vic! Wanna be friends?

Seriously though, you're right, theft from rich people isn't any less like theft.
    ...it just means they can sue you more effectively for it...
    Last edited by V'icternus; 2009-10-15 at 12:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, PC gaming is plenty fun and fine, it just doesn't hold the title of FPS King anymore. Rather, it's a home for the more cerebral genres, such as true RTS gaming, very detailed simulation games, and the 4x genre. That is all good in my mind too, it means that each "console" has a niche, something I feel is a good thing.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying console gaming isn't cerebral in nature or that it can't be so, just that PC gaming tends towards more in-depth complex games. That's all.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-10-15 at 12:20 AM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just what I want to think about when I'm about to hit the hay. Millionaires. And the relative merits of consoles versus PCs.

*shudder*
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-10-15 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, PC gaming is plenty fun and fine, it just doesn't hold the title of FPS King anymore.

You were saying?

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post

You were saying?
    So a five year old game is still the best it has? wait isn't that on consoles too?
    Last edited by SDF; 2009-10-15 at 12:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post

You were saying?
    HL2 is NOT God's gift to gamers. It really isn't. It was a good game, very fun and enjoyable, but it alone doesn't cement the PC as the FPS King when there are numerous FPS's on multiple consoles. Oh, and HL2 is how old again? Just sayin'.

Then again, I'm a PC gamer myself, so please don't think I "hate all PC games" or some rubbish.

Oh, and Vic, I'd love to, but I need to convince them to give ME money first!
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-10-15 at 12:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Eh, PC gaming is plenty fun and fine, it just doesn't hold the title of FPS King anymore.
    You do realize that one of the most played games in the world is Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike is amazing. its the best FPS game I've ever played. EVER. Halo 3 and CoD4 are nowhere near as good. I could play Counter Striker forever.

I do realize, however, that I'm in the minority here, but I think Counter Strike is a LOT of fun.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

You do realize that one of the most played games in the world is Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike is amazing. its the best FPS game I've ever played. EVER. Halo 3 and CoD4 are nowhere near as good. I could play Counter Striker forever.

I do realize, however, that I'm in the minority here, but I think Counter Strike is a LOT of fun.
    One or two games do NOT the King make! Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike are the only real contenders the PC has. One is five years old, the other older? Yeah, this isn't a strong argument you're making here. Granted, they're both fun games, but they alone don't make the PC the best FPS console.

Granted, this is just my opinion, and it doesn't make yours any less valid.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

HL2 is NOT God's gift to gamers.
    No, it's Valve's, which trumps the God-card.

Oh, and HL2 is how old again? Just sayin'.
    Age is not representative of merit.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Please avoid both political discussions and discussions of illegal activities. It seems particularly bad form to come on a site run by an artist and funded by proceeds of the sale of art and talk about downloading/pirating material. More to the point, the rules don't allow it.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-10-15 at 01:02 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

One or two games do NOT the King make! Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike are the only real contenders the PC has.
    Erm... see I disagree. I think Half-Life 2 is the best Singe Player FPS I've played in a LONG time. Nothing else comes close. Not CoD 4, not Halo 1, 2 or 3, not anything. Its that good. Do you see what I'm saying? A good game will last forever, or until a better one comes out. That is why Starcraft is so amazing; because nothing has managed to top starcraft in its particular niche of RTS gaming (there are so GOOD RTS games that have come out since Starcraft, but none of them have done Starcraft's style of play as good as Starcraft). The same holds true for Counter Strike and HL2. Nothing better has come out, therefore they are the best, and therefore their system is the best for FPSes.

But like you said, these are opinions. I've said my piece and I'll be quite now, probably.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I feel absolutely qualified to say that Half Life 2: Episode 2 is the finest FPS ever made.

And that Team Fortress 2 is the finest multiplayer FPS. Matched only by the original Unreal Tournament.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

I found CoD for the PC to be really, really good, actually. I haven't played a better WWII game... (And there are a lot.)

Oh, and Vic, I'd love to, but I need to convince them to give ME money first!
    Oh, don't worry about it. Just knowing someone who knows someone with money is good enough.
    Last edited by V'icternus; 2009-10-15 at 01:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These awesome Avatars thanks to the amazing Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

Current Avatar by Shoreward,
    author of Cursed, of Course, a fantasy webcomic, right here on the forum.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Please avoid both political discussions and discussions of illegal activities. It seems particularly bad form to come on a site run by an artist and funded by proceeds of the sale of art and talk about downloading/pirating material. More to the point, the rules don't allow it.
    If I overstepped my bounds, my apologies sir. I'll refrain in the future. ;)

@toasty: As I said, opinions are just fine. I certainly have mine. I won't say by any stretch that HL2 was BAD, just that it alone doesn't make the PC the best thing ever.

@Phase: To be fair, it should be stated that "age is not the only thing that identifies merit". With age comes wisdom and experience, both of which improve upon the old. Half-Life 2 is aged, and it's wisdom will reinforce the next generation of games. When their time comes, Half Life 2 will be forgotten in a wave of greater, better games. It may not have happened yet, but it will, sure enough. That doesn't make it bad, just a part of history.

@Vic: Heh, I do what I can. I already owe loopy a world tour though, so you'll have to wait your turn.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Things have taken a decidedly somber turn here at the Troll household.

Papa Pizza, Alarra's dear dad and overlord/owner of their local pizzeria, has been having some chest trouble.

Lately he’s been having some difficulty walking and working and at one point had even turned gray while he was visiting his family recently.

They put off having him seen by a doctor because they didn’t have health insurance. This was bad enough to convince them to get it, if even only just long enough to have someone take a look at this.

On Tuesday this week he saw a cardiologist who was concerned enough that they scheduled him for a stress test on Wednesday. The results came back that there is a blockage on one side of his heart. They don’t know the severity just yet.

On Friday he’s going in to have dye injected so that they can see how bad the blockage is and determine what steps they need to take to fix it.

If it’s “not that bad” he’ll be getting a coronary stent. If it’s too bad, he could be going in for bypass surgery.

Either way, he’s having heart surgery on Friday at some point.

Needless to say, the family is very worried.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

How old is your father-in-law? My grandparents are getting old too (seventies...) but as of yet, nothing too major has happened. My great-uncle nearly killed himself driving his golf-cart a few weeks back. But he's well on the road to recovery now.

18. - Top - End - #1308

How old is your father-in-law? My grandparents are getting old too (seventies...) but as of yet, nothing too major has happened. My great-uncle nearly killed himself driving his golf-cart a few weeks back. But he's well on the road to recovery now.
    I don't know exactly, but he's in his early 50's. I want to say 51.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Banned

Will he be provided with a firm stuffed animal for post-operative stitch protection and general snuggliness? I think they come in 15" varieties but the necklines may be larger than standard stuffed animals. Try having a pizza apron ready for it, a garment nice and flat on its front.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Will he be provided with a firm stuffed animal for post-operative stitch protection and general snuggliness? I think they come in 15" varieties but the necklines may be larger than standard stuffed animals. Try having a pizza apron ready for it, a garment nice and flat on its front.
    He's not the type that would appreciate the gesture, I think. He grew up in a large farm family in central South Dakota. To give you an idea, he's under the impression that he'll be back to running the pizzeria on Saturday, less than a full day after the stent is put in. Now, I've not known anyone who's had this done, but it seems to me that any kind of heart surgery isn't going to be the type where you're doctor's going to allow you back to work, certainly not work as strenuous as this.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

51? Wow... erm... he's my dad's age (give or take a few years). So yes, rather young.

Hope everything goes well.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

I JUST SAW PEOPLE BLOW A WHALE'S HEAD UP
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Banned

Ah, thermite. What problems can't you solve?

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Firbolg in the Playground

One or two games do NOT the King make! Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike are the only real contenders the PC has. One is five years old, the other older? Yeah, this isn't a strong argument you're making here. Granted, they're both fun games, but they alone don't make the PC the best FPS console.
    Games in general do not make anything the best FPS console. The reason the PC is the best system on which to play FPS games is the control system. A console controller just doesn't have enough buttons, or as conducive a layout, to match keyboard + mouse in this respect.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Orc in the Playground

I loooove Brawl and No More Heroes too. Fun stuff.

@Katara: The Wii is not a, to quote, "toddlers plaything with less dignity than a jar of tree sap". Can't say I find that a fair statement to make. Nor was your analysis of the PS3 correct, since Sony no longer loses money on them, and in fact broke even over a year before they even expected too. The 360 I am not a personal fan of, but it's a fine system with only a few minor issues (the Red Ring of Death issue) that has since been rectified.

If you are going to make a controversial point, it helps to have a real argument, not "lol consoles suck". Just sayin'. I'd love to hear some real points, but so far, I just haven't seen any.

Oh, and speaking as someone who has several family members who ARE millionaires, yeah, theft hurts. A lot. It doesn't make theft right just because they have money. Often times, they worked hard to earn their wealth. Corporations are much the same. It's highly insulting that you would presume otherwise. I have a family member who is a member on the board of a high Fortune 500 company, and when someone damages their property or steals their intellectual works, the company suffers. They're human too, treat them as such please. It's only fair.
    oh, I never by any means said consoles suck. I DID say that some, particularly the newer ones, are inferior to some of the older ones. I did say SOME suck, but never would I ever say "lol consoles suck" and end it there. the PC just doesn't have enough awesome games to be my only platform of choice.

and actually, my remark about the Wii was taken I believe word for word from Vic (I can't tell now, as I've been arrested over that by adminz). I honestly think that's a ludicrous description, at best. as for money matters regarding the PS3, yes, my source was a bit outdated, as I never really bothered checking for updates, as there's nothing the PS3 has that's worth checking on for me. the 360 is alright, but they need more than just FPS to make up their major gaming base.

you see for me, (which is probably how I developed my tastes for games) it's always been about the gameplay itself, not the graphics. the controls are another thing, but I have yet to play a recent game that does not have klunky controls except Avatar: Into the Inferno (mostly because I kept trying to use the controls form the previous installment.)

me, I personally love the Wii. the only downsides I've seen with it are a sometimes trippy motion sensor (but my Wii is as old as dirt based on how it looks), some disc-reading difficulty (but I can blame that on scratched disks) and the fact that it's not made out of as much Nintendium as older consoles (Nintendium is a powerful substance that Nintendo uses for its consoles which is 10 times harder than diamond.)

so I guess all in all,my bone against the PS3 is the lack of good games, and the priciness (it's still at least $350 in my area, which is a Wii and two games right there). I've actually considered getting a 360, since it's a little cheaper and actually has a few good non-FPS games.

ultimately though I still find myself playing my old Gameboy or Nintendo 64. heck, even Pac-Man and Tetris are still favorites. Back in the day these consoles were only around $200 [that was the highest I even ever saw GameCube in my area]. Aye, they were simpler, but they were also not any less fun than the ones we had today. heck, they're STILL fun, even though they're 10-15 years outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    You can't say that a PS1 was a system that is still used and yet diss the PS2, which lacked nothing the PS1 had, and added more. It's backwards compatability was flawless. Every game, and every save, was fully functional. Not like the PS3, which only included SOME backwards compatibility in the early models, and none in the later ones. Or the X-Box 360, which has backwards capability, that doesn't work.

And while the Wii does have it's uses, I've found that the one my family and I find it occupies most is "that white box that sits there while the real consoles get all the action".
    There was actually only one factor of the PS2 that I dissed, and that was its frailty. I was playing it over at a friends house, and we, in our frustration over some faulty disc or memory card (can't remember) hit it real hard--Nintendo 64-hard. our expectations were too high, as I called my friend a week later and his brother was complaining that he STILL couldn't get the thing to work. PS2 just lacks the durability that Gamecube had. heck, even my Wii, which looks as fragile as glass, has survived being thrown across the room by an angry parent.

but all in all, SONY's backwards compatibility capabilites are inferior to those Nintendo has had. Wii plays all gamecube games easily, and had downloads of the older games, and a classic controller even to boot. While it's still not near as fun as playing on a real NES/SNES/N64, it sure brings back good memories, especially to those of us who don't have the consoles themselves, or emulators.

hmm... what sort of 360 did you have? the one I used at my cousin's house seemed to have enough backwards compatibility for a few rounds of Halo... but then again, he was my inspiration to become a pirate, so I dunno.

PS3 has some uses... it makes a good paperweight, a good doorstop, a good...

while the real black box, the N64, gets in on the good stuff. Starfox 64, Super Smash Bros. (the original), Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario 64... those are games that everyone recognizes. Wii has those same series as their memorabilia, and even the 360 has games that almost anyone will recognize. maybe it's just my community, but I don't know of any PS3-exclusive that "everyone" knows about. its selection of games is just not very impressive. I'll just by a blu-ray player.

as for the talk about pirating and the such, I'm far from finished. I was just stopped by forces higher than my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    and for that, I apologize.
    "The Mormons were right."

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    He's not the type that would appreciate the gesture, I think. He grew up in a large farm family in central South Dakota. To give you an idea, he's under the impression that he'll be back to running the pizzeria on Saturday, less than a full day after the stent is put in. Now, I've not known anyone who's had this done, but it seems to me that any kind of heart surgery isn't going to be the type where you're doctor's going to allow you back to work, certainly not work as strenuous as this.
    *hugs*...hopefully, everything goes well. I'm not sure what the recovery time on a stent is, but I can ask my dad this evening.
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

oh, I never by any means said consoles suck. I DID say that some, particularly the newer ones, are inferior to some of the older ones. I did say SOME suck, but never would I ever say "lol consoles suck" and end it there. the PC just doesn't have enough awesome games to be my only platform of choice.
    The best FPS game ever, the best RTS game ever, some of the best RPGs ever, the only one with good 4X games. What more do you need? Plus you can have emulators for older consoles and such.

Yes, I'm beyond biased.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

Fact: my cats are eleven years old.

Fact: this is the cat equivalent of being about sixty.

Fact: they are indoor-only.

Fact: that means they can expect to live somewhere between four and six more years.

Fact: they will probably live about as much longer as my grandpa.

This is what happens when you randomly google stuff.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Orc in the Playground

The best FPS game ever, the best RTS game ever, some of the best RPGs ever, the only one with good 4X games. What more do you need? Plus you can have emulators for older consoles and such.

Yes, I'm beyond biased.
    hahaha it's fine.

I never said PCs suck for gaming. I just said that it's not going to be my only system for gaming.

and yes, emulators are epic win.

"the best things in life are free".

so true in today's world...
    "The Mormons were right."

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

My granddad, who has been suffering from brain cancer for over half a year now, with ups and downs.

He just got a really big down. He's got a couple of days to a week left.

And I just had to tell my brother that.

Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2009-10-15 at 10:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!