New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

DM

The captain listens to everyone and watches them intently, first he turns himself towards Wolf, keeping a keen eye upon his weapon.

"Indeed my man, the base of this magic needs to be found and uprooted. We will not hide from them, but instead show them that we will not be beaten, as we showed today."

He then towards Bear and regards him with rather more wariness whilst adressing the whole group as one.

"Firstly, you will do well to remember who you are talking to. I am not some whelp who is completley untrained. You assume far too much whilst knowing no where near enough. Firstly, you assume that it was I who knew this attack was coming. Secondly you assume I have not already sent good men out looking for the source.

I personally am of the same opinion, those who are practicing this magic, not for a good or healing purpose are indeed in league with these monsters. None of the elders know where this magic has come from, yes we have all heard the tales, of fey and other creatures with magical aptitude."
    He then seems to snap round from his brief reverie

"Anyway why am I telling you any of this, I am of the opinion that another group must go out. But you will leave with more power than the last, the last were merely a reconnaissance mission. I am forming you all together as "Gold Team". You are tasked with finding whether or not these evil magic doers are in league with these plagued monsters, and if they are to put a stop to it.

You have untill dawn tomorrow to provision yourselfs as you will, and say your good byes, but if anyone asks, this is nothing more than a foraging trip. No need to arouse panic throughout the town. This should more than cover your costs for provisions, and i'm afraid to say I don't want you back untill something solid can be proved.

Oh and take this corpse with you."

With that he sits back down after having put a small leather purse clinking onto the table and he seems to not even regard you as he steeples his fingers and stares out of the window.

2. - Top - End - #152

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Bear tries to keep the grin off his face at the commanders orders but is pretty sure he does a terrible job. Since it seems they are dismissed by the commander he turns his attention to the tasks at hand and goes to pick up the corpse, although he is quite sure that Wolf will take up the load before he has a chance. All the while his mind races. Morning will come too quickly for my tastes. First thing Eleanor, Mamellek and Chronac need to be made aware of this journey, they may not like being volunteered for this but I hope they will not want to miss out on the opportunity. I also want to arm myself a little better and I'll see if Eleanor has some books on nature and tracking and the likes. There is one other thing I'll have to find time for that is more important than the rest combined.

"Thank you for your diplomacy in there." He says to Gias as they leave the Fyrd headquarters. "Though I'd wager you're going to be deprived of barmaids for a while on this trip. He adds with a wink. "Let us go tell the others of what has transpired here and Wolf, let's get Eleanor to have a look at that wound of yours." He had to admit that he was warming to the big guy, his fear at first was based on the lack of knowledge about the half-orc but the events of the day had proved to Bear that he was someone worth having on your side.

[OOC: I'll make new posts for any interactions that happen between now and morning]

Bear rises with the sun in the morning and goes to meet with the others. He understands if they are a little taken back with the change in his appearance. His matted hair and beard are gone but not in a fashionable way, it is cut at different lengths and looks like it was done by without the aid of a mirror. He removed it himself to make sure that any foe could not use them as a hand hold against him. Also the stench around him is greatly reduced, he couldn't wash away that much built up stank in one night and it lingered in his armor but the change is noticeable.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek

By the morning, the blacksmith was, physically, feeling fine.

Mentally, however, she had some doubts. As was her wont, the major doubts were on the subject of weaponry: Namely, all the wonderful new weapons swimming through her head that they were being rushed from town before she had a chance to forge. The new arrows, improved sword and armor designs, and the weird weapons her new companions had asked of her... They would all have to wait.

True, this mission is important. But it feels wrong to be going out with this equipment when I know I could create something better. There's just not enough time anymore. Things must be getting bad - fast - people do not usually rush in the fight against the plague. You make too many mistakes that way.

Doubts alone were not enough to stop her, so when the dawn came, she was at the rendevous alongside the others.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

After a night of plagued slaying Gias wants nothing more than to sleep away the rest of the day. He stumbles back to his small house and passes out still in his fighting clothes. After a night of wonderful sleep Gias grudgingly gets up at the crack of dawn changes clothes and stumbles to the meeting in slightly less cheerful than usual.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

5. - Top - End - #155

BlackDragon

DM

The day breaks with a watery dawn, but without a cloud in sight the prospect of your first day of travel is indeed looking like a warm one. Arrayed at the gate are teams of men already, repairing the damages from yesterdays battle and laying fresh herbs and flowers in an attempt to mask the smell of the massive bonfire that had been built outside of the walls.

A guard is on duty and appears to have been doing nothing other than waiting for you, he walks up to Mamellek and hads her a small scroll tied off with a blue ribbon, as well as a hessian sack.

"The captain said these were all yours guv'na. Apparently they came off've that magic guy yesterday and coz' you killed him, they ain't going to the town."

With that he ambles off in the direction of the nearest tavern.

Just as you are all about to depart you hear running footsteps behind you. No one but Gias recognises the girl, yet to Gias she represents his as yet unattainable "Horse Girl." Pressing a small metal object into his hand she admonishes him to

"Be careful, and bring yourself back in one piece. Im sure this will make a fine story."

And before you have a chance to reply she trots merrily away.

6. - Top - End - #156

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

"A fine day for adventuring, wouldn't you say? It is good to see you up and well Mamellek" he says to his gathered companions. "I think now would be a great time to make some plans about how we are going to achieve this little task of ours. I know our mission is to destroy this evil sect, if possible, but I'm not sure if we should set the bar so high. I'd be happy with just information at this point. Rushing in to a battle that we are ill prepared for would be foolish to say the least. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

*squinting against the brightness of the morning*

As i said to the captain when he assigned us this mission. I think that we are better off exploring the local front before venturing outside the walls. It seems to me that there is some of this "cult" that's hiding out inside the compound. Things just wouldn't add up other wise. I'd like to ask some questions to the locals and see if there has been anything strange going on. I remember someone in the tavern saying that they thought there were some strange things going on in the warehouses on the north side of town. We honestly don't have anything else that resembles a starting point unless there is something in that scroll the priest had on him.

8. - Top - End - #158

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

On hearing Gias's words of warning Bear takes a moment to think. "You have an excellent point there." He too was intrigued about the warning they had received about those warehouses. "Surely an enemy at home is worse than one far afield. If they do have spies here they could also warn of our coming and have a trap laid well in advance. In any case, I'd like to take Wolf out and scout for any tracks that last nights interlopers may have left on their way here, that information could be useful in confirming anything we get from interrogating any spies found within our walls. Yes, indeed, you may have just saved our lives with that insight Gias." He stops there looking expectantly at the others in the group for their input, he gaze lingers longer on Mamellek though hoping that she will take charge and lay out a course of action.
    Last edited by Doctor Witch; 2010-02-04 at 05:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

Eleanor

Quite fatigued by her nightly vigil, Eleanor is a bit dumbfounded by the inanity of this whole deal: "So, we have no idea what we're up against, we don't know where to start looking, we don't know who knew of yesterdays attack and we have very specific orders to deal with all this? Not the alpha I'd personally choose given options."

She is, however, armed with the information she was able to dig up overnight from her various tomes; that somewhat calms her down. "Standing here is unlike to achieve anything. I do not personally believe in any underground sect acting inside the consortium; I...tend to know things and I know of no underground services nor of anyone seeing the symbol inside. It is something we can check on, but right now, we possess probably the only unit Compound can afford to deploy outside its own defenses; I understand we are somehow expected to find out what's going on out there and deal with it if possible.

Moving in force gives us a fighting chance should we get waylaid by the Plagued, and given how orderly they are apparently capable of acting, I think that's something we should prepare for. As such, I think we should all accompany Bear and Wolf on checking the trails; that's the only lead we have to work off on right now, and if it comes to a fight, I like our chances much better in team. For what it's worth, I'm quite good at reading the nature and should be able to help with the tracking."
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek
    A quick glance at the scroll as the others talked: Mamellek was only barely listening.

OOC: I may have to insert some response to the scroll's contents if Mamellek can read them.

But you can only remain in a reverie for so long, especially when you're holding 120PP, of which you are only entitled to a sixth. Mamellek looked up, finally ready to check what the others had decided to do, only to find the debate still ongoing, and Bear still casting sideways glances at her. Slightly worrying. She could not shake the feeling that Bear was expecting something of her, but she had no idea what it was.

"I'm thinking," a rather slow start as the Blacksmith tried to cut across the others' debate "that you have a little time on your hands. If we're going to be outside the walls for a while, it would be wise to bring our own supplies with us, as well as some capacity to bring things back. There's money here, a prize from the battle last night. I'm going to go down the markets with it, pick up a packhorse, a small cart if I can find one, food, water, camping gear, that sort of thing. Ammunition, too, and maybe another bow - I can use one, I just don't own one right now. I was *sure* the wood could take the extra compression strain..." Drifting a little off the point there, but then Mamellek's mind moved in mysterious ways. "Can the rest of you think of anything else urgent we could do with for the journey? Better I get everything in one trip through the market than we keep going back and forth for the rest of the day."

Pause. What had they been saying again? "...Besides, some of you wanted to investigate things around here, and I doubt I'd be much use for that. So I'll do the shopping, and you do your snooping, and we meet at the North Gate again when we're done?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-02-04 at 07:50 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

After hearing Eleanor and Mamellek weigh in Bear responds. "No offense, my dear healer, but I doubt any who would consort with the plagued would openly advertise their presence here. Mamellek is right that we should be more prepared for the journey." He turns to her and adds "Use how ever much of my share as you see fit for that horse and cart and also if you would be kind enough to buy me a few bundles of arrows I'd appreciate it." Then he continues to the group. "How about this. Whoever wishes to come scouting leaves with me now and we'll take care of it while the tracks are still fresh. Then we shall meet up and spend a few hours checking out the warehouses to the north and then we leave the city under the cover of darkness this evening." This he hopes will address everybody's concerns and allow the group to get the most done in the shortest period of time. As an after thought he says "Unless that scroll has some kind of revelation that would make our lives far easier."

12. - Top - End - #162

BlackDragon

DM

The scroll :

Well it doesn't have any conventional writing on it, no rhythm or rhyme to it. It certainly has no words, just odd pictures. Open glaring eyes, scarabs, suns, sceptres and even a pyramid. There is no definitive signature or even anything that looks like one.

The clerics stuff in a sack :

There is a small signet ring, a sleeve blade, his mace, the robes he was wearing, an earring and even a small leather purse containing 86 gold pieces.

The market :

All supplies, except a horse are easily attainable. The horse, well pony, or anything, there simply aren't any. There is a huge amount of demand for them and absolutely no supply in the slightest.

Tracking / Warehouses :

Who is going where and when guys? And I guess its time to make some rolls

Gias :

The small thing in your hands is a well worked talisman of a horse. In what appears to be silver with small gems and platinum streaks in its mane.

13. - Top - End - #163

Eleanor

Eleanor responds to Bear's doubts: "I...tend to know quite a bit beyond books. I make it my task to know things, when I am not healing the ill. It is this knowledge I'm basing my statement on. I know what happens in the compound, and I know there isn't exactly terribly much traffic going out so it's not really possible for people to slip out unnoticed for such purposes. Even if a sect existed inside, it would be completely isolated from others and as such couldn't really coordinate with people outside to generate attacks like what happened last night. Furthermore, there's been no mention of black magic inside the compound and word would get out quick if such happened.

Not only that, but I know the deity whose symbol we found hasn't been worshiped on this island pretty much ever. Preparation won't hurt though, so I agree we should get on those, at least those who are not already prepared. You can see what you could figure out of the Sect in the town, but I am quite certain there's nothing to find."
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek

"Thinking about it for a moment... I'm quite sure there is something to find, or at least, there was. It's just a little logic - if news of the attack could get from some knowledgeable source to a tavern, there must be *some* way for the two to communicate, however indirect. It is a trail that could be traced, theoretically. How you'd trace that, and what sort of source you'd find, I have not the faintest idea. But if you want to look... there must logically be something there to find."

15. - Top - End - #165

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

You know, I don't think it would necessarily be part of the cult acting here. There are many fools for whom the only god is gold and they would be willing to sell us out for the right price. They probably wouldn't even know who they were truly working for. But for now I'm going to pick up the trail." With that Bear turns and heads towards the gate that was the scene of last nights battle assuming anyone who is interested will follow. Once there he starts looking for the tracks of the huge plagued they had fought figuring they will be easier to find than the more common ones of the priest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Track: (1d20+7)[24] Should also get a +2 on that roll as I took favored enemy undead with the ranger level but I'll leave that to DM's discretion.

16. - Top - End - #166

Eleanor

"Then I should come with you. I know quite a bit about tracks and can probably be of assistance. Not to mention, depending on what you find, my other expertise might be helpful. I can hold my own in combat and won't slow you down. Besides, I've been wanting to make a trip outside anyways." As Bear leaves, she simply tags along.

Before leaving, she adds: "Oh and Mamellek, just so you know for your planning: if we need a horse, I've got one. Usually he carries the stuff I can't myself, so he's used to loads."

Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC: As a Cleric of Travel, Eleanor has Survival in class. She'll trivially Aid Another in that, especially since Aid Another doesn't require the feat.]

Aid Another Survival - (1d20+8)[27]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-02-06 at 02:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wolf

Wolf scoffs at the notion of Set's agents among the townsfolk. "Plague-ones run town now?!? HA!", he chortles loudly to himself for some time before deteriorating into silence, save a muttered "Makes sense"

As the discussion progresses he begins to show his impatience: fidgeting, pacing, and starring at uneasy passersby.

Finally, Bear sets out to look for tracks and Wolf follows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempted Aid Another
    Survival:(1d20+7)[15]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

Satisfied with coming back to investigate the warehouses later in the day Gias decides to go with the rest of the group to look for tracks, it will be good to see the world from outside the walls for a change. He also wants to be around in case the group runs into trouble.

"I'll come with you guys to look for tracks. I'd hate to go off hunting rumors while you guys are getting ambushed by plagued."

Gias follows wolf and bear outside the gate after pocketing the trinket given to him by the horse girl.
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2010-02-06 at 02:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169

BlackDragon

DM

As you leave the gates, you instantly see bootmarks, and even easier the big heavy lumbering tracks from the fairly large creature that came barrelling in through the gate. Following them for a while, you see lots of small game, and not a single road or even a game trail to be following.

You have come off the beaten track and are walking through mildly farmed fields and meadows, following still the tracks. The lighter tracks of the plagued ones are still easily visible, but the ground is soft and where the large creature walked the deep imprints are easy enough to follow.

The ground on the other hand is starting to turn slightly rockier and you are walking towards some low foothills, the lighter tracks are getitng harder and harder to see, but the heavy tracks are easy enough to see still as you follow them up the hillside.

You have been walking for a few hours now, and the sun has already passed its zenith, as you come to a natural fork it is clear that someone stayed here recently. There are the ashes of a fire, as well as a large heavy chain.

Snooping around on the ground, you summarise that the plagued ones including the big heavy one came from the left hand fork as you are looking at it, and the cleric on the other hand came from the right, and not alone. There are two sets of prints, although the second is hard to see and for every twenty steps of the cleric, there is but one of the other boot. But its definatley a different shape size and weight.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

Gias comes to a halt at the fork in the road. Looking in both directions and assessing the situation. Then turns to the group in his usual chipper mood.

"So what do you guys think. Seems to me that following the human tracks would give us a bit more info than the Plagued. Although I have been wrong before. What do you think bear, you seem to be the one with the plans."
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2010-02-09 at 03:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Bear slowly turns his head towards Gias, his eyes wide and with confusion written on his face. His mouth opens to respond but shuts again without a sound. He tries again but this time he manages "I.." before closing his mouth once more. After looking at the tracks for another minute or so he decides to try thinking out loud to see if that helps. "So the plagued from the left and the humans from the right... What do they have down there to the left? A plagued farm? Farm plagued do they?" He shakes his head to try to dislodge the thought that seemed to have gotten a little stuck and continues. "They must have some way to communicate at a distance otherwise how could such coordination be possible? Unless it was a chance encounter and the cleric managed to gain control of them through dark arts and then decided 'Oh I know, it'll be a good spot of fun to run these chaps up to that compound over there and cause a little trouble'" You're rambling again. He reminds himself. He draws a deep breath and continues.

"I think we should focus our efforts on finding the one traveling with the cleric, I'd like to know whether he headed straight back along the way they came or if they split up here and both went towards Umth. How's everyone's geography? Anyone know what lies down those forks in the road, I can't believe I forgot to bring a map." While waiting for the others to respond he tries to pick up the trail of the cleric's traveling companion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+7)[20]

22. - Top - End - #172

Eleanor

Eleanor seems to be in her thoughts. "Magic, I suppose, enables remote communication. The man was certainly capable of some manner of mystics so it wouldn't surprise me if someone in his order were capable of remote messaging. Can you say if the humans had been waiting here, or if they just passed through? If they somehow took over the Plagued, chances are they'd have been waiting here for some time for some to pass by. If this was coordinated, on the other hand, they would have just passed through."

She raises her head a bit, now speaking with more determination: "Either way, we should either split up with one fast, stealthy person checking out the trail of the massive Plagued; it's fresh enough that anyone should be able to follow that. That or we should all go after the black man's trail, and the less apparent trail. I daresay the man's trail along with the...whatever that other trail is is more like to reveal what we are looking for."

Let's see just how much she knows about the area:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Geography) - (1d20+3)[16] (trained check; she can gain information above DC10)
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-02-09 at 01:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

BlackDragon

DM

The Tracks :

They make no sense.

None what so ever. If you try following them back the way he came you end up circling the camp, and if you try to follow them forwards it leads you back towards where you started and then circling the camp the other way around anyway.

Geography :

As far as your aware, the big plagued creatures path will lead you towards no centres of civilization, infact there is a large heavy dense wood in that direction after about a days travel.

The way that the cleric and his companion came from there is not a large town, but there should still be a small mining outpost. They are protected by a militia from several other towns around because they trade the ores for protection and food of other townships.

24. - Top - End - #174

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

In exasperation Bear exclaims "Well I guess he must've ridden one of the plagued out of here because I can't see any other way... He stops short. He glances around quickly and then focuses on the ground in front of him. "Over here everyone, come quick! He continues looking at the ground in front of him until everyone is near and says in a whisper. "Just pretend as if we have found something interesting. If there are no tracks that lead away it could be that whoever was with the cleric is still here hiding and watching us. I want everyone to pretend to be looking at the tracks but to listen carefully for any sounds of movement or anything else that might give them away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[19]

If we don't find anyone hiding Bear will try to find out as much from the tracks they do have as possible then search the campsite for anything left behind.

Survival: (1d20+7)[24]
    Search: (1d20+8)[16]

25. - Top - End - #175

Eleanor

Eleanor shares the results of the Knowledge-check. As Bear calls them together, she simply gives him a curt nod and proceeds to search the surroundings pretending to follow the tracks. <He knows what he's doing; let him take care of this.>

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20-1)[8]
    Listen - (1d20-1)[15]

Aid Another on Search for Bear - (1d20+2)[20]

<Still, there's something he cannot check>

Drifting a bit to the edge of the group, Eleanor looks at the weird tracks and summons a bit of a magical aid to her seeking. Eleanor casts Detect Magic. She'll cover the surroundings of the camp and the fork concentrating. Does she sense any auras in the vicinity?

Spoiler
    Show
    [OOC: Thanks to her having Knowledge Domain, Eleanor's Detect Magic is Caster Level 3 and thus lasts for 30 minutes. It should allow her to keep an eye on auras for some of the trip afterwards too.]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-02-12 at 08:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

Gias just stares at Bear as he hovers over the tracks and ignores him when he whispers for them to come over.

"Although I'm glad for your caution and forethought friend,your being a bit overly paranoid. Giant plauged abominations and the people who keep then don't really seem to be the subtle type to me. I'm much more worried about them trying to smash my face in than sneaking up on us in broad daylight.Although I must admit over-confidence is a bit of a problem for me at times. " Gias finishes, while giving one of those grins that makes men want to knock his teeth out.

Gias notices that Eleanor seems to be doing a bit more than just inspecting the tracks. Although he's not certain he's gets a sneaking suspicion she may be doing something with magic. He makes sure to catch her eye as she turns back to the group. He raises an eyebrow and gives her his best "that explains alot" look but doesn't say anything to the rest of the group.
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2010-02-12 at 10:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Eleanor

Noticing Gias's gaze, she flashes him a quick smile; she expected as much of him, especially since she didn't go to great lengths to cover anything more than the purpose of the words. She silently mouths "Don't tell" and turns back to continuing the scan.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek
    First order of business in the markets: Sell, sell, sell! Somewhere in the markets would be people willing to buy the Sleeve Blade and the Mace from her. The Robes, Earring and Signet Ring she kept. Something in her mind suggested that the accountrements of the ally of the plagued ones may well be of use later...

Spoiler
    Show
    Just reminding everyone I'm still around. Thankfully I've got enough other games going that I can sit back and wait for you lot without immediately losing my sanity from under-playing;)

29. - Top - End - #179

BlackDragon

DM

You see nothing out of the ordinary, and hear even less. Not even the birds are chirping or insects whispering amongst themselves. It is uneerily quiet.

Eleanor, you unfortunatley detect magic. It is a lingering aura based around the campfire and a little copse of trees about 50 feet to your left.

Mamellek :

You do indeed find a patron willing to take the mace, and quite happily infact. He offers you a starting price of 1,120 gold pieces for it, if you wish to haggle, im going to need RP talk and a diplomacy roll.

The sleeve blade on the other hand is not taken from you, and recieves sneers and disgust that you would try to sell such an unhonourable weapon.

30. - Top - End - #180

Eleanor

Eleanor keeps her Longspear out in two hands (though as a "walking stick" of sorts; still at a ready in case something happens) and focuses on the auras for 3 rounds, while edging towards the trees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft-checks to determine schools of the two auras:
    Campfire Aura - (1d20+6)[19]
    Copse of Trees Aura - (1d20+6)[16]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-02-14 at 01:48 PM.