New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Unlimited material components

Last session our party found a spell components pouch that will allows us to pull out any material component we need, including extremely expensive ones.

Clearly this is a very abusable item.

What are some spells that we can get a lot of mileage out of now that we're not limited by gold? I am extremely tempted to make a zombie army, but I have an exalted cohort, so that may not be the wisest of choices.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Unlimited material components

Forcecage is a good one with an expensive component.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

One word: Fabricate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

-Raise Dead and True Resurection would be good money-making tools. Most people simply can't afford to bring loved ones back to life with that hefty 1000+ gold price tag, but if you can knock it down to standardized pricing (level 5 x CL 9) you'll have people lining the streets. Alternatively, you can lower the price just a tad (100-200g) to get the economic edge on other casters (if they exist) and just pocket the extra gold for the material component. Plus, you can just use this on yourselves as well

-Stoneskin has only a small price, but at least you don't have to pay it now.

-Free components to power the Black Lore of Moil feat.
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2009-12-13 at 04:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Make alot of empty cocoons. Turn your party into a bunch of adamant dragons. Hire people, turn them into other powerful creatures. Ba-boom, world domination.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    One word: Fabricate.
    Oh wow. That is abusive.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Last session our party found a spell components pouch that will allows us to pull out any material component we need, including extremely expensive ones.

What are some spells that we can get a lot of mileage out of now that we're not limited by gold? I am extremely tempted to make a zombie army, but I have an exalted cohort, so that may not be the wisest of choices.
    I believe artifacts are required material components for a few spells.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-12-13 at 04:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sounds to me like it's time to research a spell that uses one of each of the +5 Tomes as its material component.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Or worst :
    Wall of Iron

Do you actually HAVE to use the magic components for the spell ?

If not, then you just got yourself an unlimited supply of gold dust.
    That's a ready-to-use fortune.
    Of course, since you can pretty much get whatever you want and justify it for Fabricate, the point is moot, here.

If yes, you can still produce several tons of iron for a cost of 0 gp.
    Selling said iron would then bring you a fortune.
    Since the item you got is clearly broken, I suggest you use this scheme first to get TONS of gold, gems and the likes before the DM just make sure the item get "lost".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

So.. Can you pull out anti-matter?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

You guys are thinking to small. The correct answer is two words:
    Ice Assassin.

Of a god. Possibly gods. Congratulations, you've won DnD. Have a nice day.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Nah, you just get a finger nail or something like that. You can do that trick with eschew materials anyway, since a bit of god spit is considered free.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by aje8 View Post
    You guys are thinking to small. The correct answer is two words:
    Ice Assassin.

Of a god. Possibly gods. Congratulations, you've won DnD. Have a nice day.
    Pulling out artifacts is thinking too small?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Good call, Fist. I can cast Apocalypse from the Sky, now. I just need a dozen more levels.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You can finally assemble the components for the spell Karsus' Avatar, which included (but were not limited to) the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon. Just make sure you don't pick the deity keeping all the world's magic in order.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Pulling out artifacts is thinking too small?
    Umm... yeah those already come standard in normal spell component pouches. They don't have a listed cost. Therefore they come with the pouch.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Umm... yeah those already come standard in normal spell component pouches. They don't have a listed cost. Therefore they come with the pouch.
    There's the balance on full casters we've been looking for! All of them are irrevocably insane from having tons of contradictory artifacts in their pouches!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BoED allows(as an optional rule, if I remember correctly) for ascetic spellcasters to sacrifice 1xp for 5gp worth of magic components.

If you could convince your DM to allow for it to work the other way around(5gp for 1xp) then you could break the game into tiny ickle pieces.

But anyway, without house ruling the game there's an optional rule that could see a lot of use with unlimited material components - this. Hello free metamagic to.... everything?
    Last edited by grautry; 2009-12-13 at 11:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's the balance on full casters we've been looking for! All of them are irrevocably insane from having tons of contradictory artifacts in their pouches!
    Makes perfect sense!

Wait, doesn't that mean that all wizards will be merely KILLING THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH NO ONE ABLE TO STOP THEM instead of simply being way too effective at their job?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Stoneskins are pretty handy if you've got the unlimited diamond dust...

Question: can you actually pawn off the material components you pull out? Talk about infinite money...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Wait, doesn't that mean that all wizards will be merely KILLING THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH NO ONE ABLE TO STOP THEM instead of simply being way too effective at their job?
    Wizards have a job other than killing the entire world with no one able to stop them?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Wizards have a job other than killing the entire world with no one able to stop them?
    Well, In theory, and this is just what I've HEARD mind you, the PCs, thats you guys, are supposed to be, get this, HEROES, and do things like SAVING PEOPLE. Crazy, I know. But I swear I've heard so.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Haberdashery! If we save the people, there will be nobody to turn into zombies!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

BoED and BoVD(and probably a couple other books) have expensive material components like Liquid Pain and Virgin Hearts that can be used to make spells more powerful. Use those with every spell.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

There's always Ignore Material Components.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Stoneskins are pretty handy if you've got the unlimited diamond dust...
    Yeah.

I think simply not having to keep track of expensive components is going to be handy. Just being able to magically tattoo myself everyday is going to be awesome.

Question: can you actually pawn off the material components you pull out? Talk about infinite money...
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    BoED and BoVD(and probably a couple other books) have expensive material components like Liquid Pain and Virgin Hearts that can be used to make spells more powerful. Use those with every spell.
    Oh man, that's awesome. AWESOME. DELICIOUS.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir, burn that **** right now. There is some hidden curse or horrific drawback that will lead you to a fate worse than death. Like for every spell you cast, you get sent down one level of the abyss. Or for every 500 gp worth of material components you pull from here, you die twice.

It is so bad that the GM is almost certainly going to start lighting your real-life possessions on fire as a balancing factor. Who's tier 5 now, smart guy?
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

It is most likely cursed. Epically cursed.
    Did we mention cursed epically?
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by THE_BIG_CHEESE View Post
    You can finally assemble the components for the spell Karsus' Avatar, which included (but were not limited to) the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon. Just make sure you don't pick the deity keeping all the world's magic in order.
    Not quite. The the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon were required in order to create just one of the material components of the spell. Given that other, less powerful Netherese spells had material components like "one mythal, destroyed during casting" (summon volcano IIRC), you begin to get an idea of the scope and scale of component bling Karsus' Avatar would require...

Valuable material components - gems, demon hearts, etc. - are part of the wish economy (ie: they retain value because powerful people will always want them as a directly exploitable source of power). Your DM should tread carefully.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley
    Not quite. The the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque and the gizzard of a great wyrm gold dragon were required in order to create just one of the material components of the spell. Given that other, less powerful Netherese spells had material components like "one mythal, destroyed during casting" (summon volcano IIRC), you begin to get an idea of the scope and scale of component bling Karsus' Avatar would require...
    Heh. As I recall, Breach Crystal Sphere uses a 100 ton Spelljammer as a material component... I guess you can pull an entire campain out of this bag.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.