New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What the hell microsoft?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What the hell microsoft?

Don't worry, this isn't happening, everything's gonna be fine.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Achievement unlocked! You are a fat loser!
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sounds like a damn good idea.

Now if they can just figure out a way to see if you smell bad we would be doing awsome.

Man I hate telling people I'm a gamer, as they always picture a FAT smelly basement dweller, ala South park's WoW episode.
    Amazing Ninja Penguin Avatar By Meirnon

Quote Originally Posted by Conjob
    Achievement unlocked! You're a fat loser!
    Quote Originally Posted by A friend of mine
    Intelligence is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

*snerk* This is a hilarious idea. Of course, the big problem would be which indicators of physical fitness the Xbox can actually measure.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

"To incentivize people to improve their physical well-being, Microsoft's filing notes that gamers will be locked out of certain components of a game or a chat room until the proper health parameters are met."

"Alternatively or in addition, the degree of health can unlock additional playing time or can unlock certain aspects of a game, such as additional levels."

"Physical data that reflects a degree of health of the real person can be linked to rewards of capabilities of a gaming avatar, an amount of time budgeted to play, or a visible indication,"

"Microsoft's filing goes on to note that it wouldn't just be physical characteristics that could be refined. "The physical characteristics can be further extended to psychological traits associated with the physical person, including intelligence, religious beliefs, political affiliations, and hobbies that affect the rendering of an avatar," the application reads."

Saying that they are going to lock you out of parts of a game for your physical appearance is messed up, but then mentioning that they could also find out your religion and political affiliations is what is most worrying.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lobablob View Post
    Saying that they are going to lock you out of parts of a game for your physical appearance is messed up, but then mentioning that they could also find out your religion and political affiliations is what is most worrying.
    Unless they added brain scanners to the next Live update, you're probably fine.

8. - Top - End - #8

This is a joke right?
    It's Microsoft my friend. They're the living example that reality will always be more terrifying than any fiction.

Luckily, there are other good gaming systems on the markets(ps2), better systems (PC) or just plain awesome(Wii).

So let Microsoft burn money on their mad quest for software dominance. When people start deserting the system, they'll rethink this.

After all, if one is physicaly fit and good looking, why the hell are they wasting time in a chat in a mediocre system like the Xbox 360 in the first place?

The most funny thing of all, however, is that this will do nothing to make people exercise more, at best it'll make people hack more to get fake data of their physical condition, or just ditch the Xbox360 alltogheter when they can't play the games they paid money for because of physical requirements.

All of this assuming they can implement all of these promises.. But being Microsoft, well, no hurries.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2009-12-22 at 10:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'll agree that it doesnt sound like a perfect anwser.

But seriously, any little bit helps. Go into almost any Game Store/Con/Tabletop anything and you will see and smell why this is not that bad an idea.

The worst part of the whole idea is that it really is needed, thats just freakin sad.
    Amazing Ninja Penguin Avatar By Meirnon

Quote Originally Posted by Conjob
    Achievement unlocked! You're a fat loser!
    Quote Originally Posted by A friend of mine
    Intelligence is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, um...I'm not much of a console gamer so this doesn't affect me anyway, but my primary reaction is, "...Bill Gates decided he had enough money and didn't want any more, I take it?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
    Unless they added brain scanners to the next Live update, you're probably fine.
    "The filing also indicates ways in which Microsoft can facilitate determining an individual's mental health or mood. "For example, as a person utilizes Voice over IP to chat with a viewing person in the virtual environment, stress could be detected to gauge honesty," the application notes. "As another example, skin resistance, pulse, and breathing could be detected to gauge mood."

"The filing details a way in which Microsoft can introduce a heightened degree of reality into the appearance of gamers' avatars by utilizing a third-party health-care data repository"

Feasible or not, the fact that they are honestly trying and can't see anything wrong with it worries me.
    Last edited by lobablob; 2009-12-22 at 10:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure it is a joke.

I think this would actually be illegal in most countries. You certainly would not be allowed to offer such a "service" in Germany, and I assume it's similar for the rest of the EU.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

I think this would actually be illegal in most countries. You certainly would not be allowed to offer such a "service" in Germany, and I assume it's similar for the rest of the EU.
    The joke is that microsoft would never be able to implement this sytem in the first place, unless they've stolen bought it from someone else.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

They link to the actual patent in the article, it seems to be genuine.

15. - Top - End - #15

Well...

I'm considerably underweight, and while not incredibly social IRL, I do a good amount of talking to people over Live.

What's it going to do to me then? Prevent me from stopping playing?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, a few games make you pay to unlock DLC already in the game. I guess a company trying to make players get fit rather than just asking for more money is nice?

Still pretty what the hell though, yeah. :/

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Yay for Sony leaving me the hell alone to be as (un)healthy and social (in)capable as I want!
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2009-12-22 at 10:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xp194 View Post
    Well...

I'm considerably underweight, and while not incredibly social IRL, I do a good amount of talking to people over Live.

What's it going to do to me then? Prevent me from stopping playing?
    That's what I was thinking.

"Our data reports you're very skinny and incredibly handsome. We recommend a marathon Dragon Age session to fix both problems. Incidentally, have you ever eaten Mexican?"
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I find it offensive for a company to prohibit acces to certain game features based on appearance. And they say that they can add your race and religion or something like that into their database ? What next ? He wont let me get a certain weapon because of my religious beliefs ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

... They actually want to "Prohibit" a certain gaming group from access, or at the very least alienating them?

They must've lobotimized their whole PR section, and got the other sections Really REALLY drunk.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The filing also indicates ways in which Microsoft can facilitate determining an individual's mental health or mood. "For example, as a person utilizes Voice over IP to chat with a viewing person in the virtual environment, stress could be detected to gauge honesty," the application notes. "As another example, skin resistance, pulse, and breathing could be detected to gauge mood."
    Why am I getting 1984 vibes here?

And I guess they never heard of glandular problems.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

"Password accepted. To finish login process, stand up and perform 10 sit-ups."

"Huh? What the hell?"

"You did not perform the required sit-ups on time. Second try starts in 3, 2, 1..."

"What the...!? I'm paraplegic!"

"You did not perform the required sit-ups on time. Last try starts in 3, 2, 1..."

"I'M SITTING IN A WHEELCHAIR!"

"You did not perform the required sit-ups on time. Login process failed."

"YOU...****ING...PIECE OF..."

"Heavy breathing detected after failed attempts at getting up and performing sit-ups. User obviously morbidly obese. Unit will self-destruct to protect user from own video game abuse. Best waddle for your life, fatso. Deadly explosion in 3, 2, 1..."

"...****!"
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2009-12-22 at 11:53 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

This is the best, most lulzy idea Microsoft has had in a long time. I heartily approve, and look forward to the resulting drama.

24. - Top - End - #24

ElfPirate

right... I can just imagine the look on the Microsoft CEO's faces when they see masses of people across the globe lining up to throw their Xbox consoles into a bonfires.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

well then i beleive microsoft made my descision for me..

ps3 it is.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

This is complete bullcrap, and I'm in shape.

They're doing this to make you want to blow money on their ***tty avatar store, nothing more.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I sure hope so.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yeah, um...I'm not much of a console gamer so this doesn't affect me anyway, but my primary reaction is, "...Bill Gates decided he had enough money and didn't want any more, I take it?"
    I believe that Bill Gates is no longer the man at the helm of Microsoft...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This is complete bullcrap, and I'm in shape.

They're doing this to make you want to blow money on their ***tty avatar store, nothing more.
    This may be terrifyingly truth. Either:

1-They'll give you the chance to pay extra if you're not "fit enough".
    2-Microsoft is starting an exercise line.

But again, I must point out that I can't see microsoft developing such advanced technology out of nowhere. They're probably registering the patent to prevent others from doing so.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    But again, I must point out that I can't see microsoft developing such advanced technology out of nowhere. They're probably registering the patent to prevent others from doing so.
    QFT

No need to get up and panicky about it. They're not slating anything for development, they haven't even cleared the patent. They haven't, as far as we know, done anything. And even if they did...yeah, there's no way they could technologically manage this, unless they're hiding some ultra-advanced hi-tech that not even the military has.

At best, any attempt to make this happen would be uber-clunky.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.