New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: GitP Worldbuilding Project

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    For what I took reading Player's suggestion, it sounds almost like he's describing the "proto-race". ie, the race that once lived and started it all, now extinct, which split into the three races known today, each one evolving to adapt to the chosen environments and taking some aspect to hone, and they're now completely different races.

Like the gnomes took the magic-machines and evolved into (steampunk) tech-machines. We'd have to look into aspects that could define the other races too. With this, we're delving in history, too.
    Intresting idea...

I dont see how gnomes, crocmen, and humans evolve from a magic race of machines,but it could make sence if they once dominated the planet then quickly adapted themselves to their envirement.

Such as forming elongated skulls and powerfull jaws to help battle the creatures of the swamp. Humans generally move from place to place,so being nomads they would need to develop a body that could withstand most climates.Gnomes I guess would be the closest ancestors to the living machines.Considering the stero typical gnome for me is one who works inside all day figureing out a way to shoot explosives shells out of siege engines at a higher velocity using steam, I would see them as the most closely related.

The making of weapons if that were the protorace would exist later after all races had evolved into their second generation forms. The first generation would be very peacefull and focus on advancements in magic, and technology getting far with both by building early airships,and steam powered facilitys among other things.

Of course this is all if they ARE the proto-race, and if they evolved/taught other races things when they were "Gone".One example being a gnome engineer discovers a proto-race air ship and attempts to recreate the technology using things like propellers,and metal work rather than the large sales,wood frames,and magic to propel it forward.

Is their anything I should think up other than working on these guys? History of the croc race? Important events? Secrets/mysterious of the world?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, in my view at least, the gnomes are an amalgamation of the stereotypical dwarf and the stereotypical gnome. So, while they are mechanized, they live in the mountains (something we agreed on)

The idea of the croc-men was a more agricultural and peaceful society. Actually, this may be a bit funny:

Humans, warlike. Mystical/Magical Powers.

Mayadiles, peaceful. Extremely strong bodies.

Gnomes, short, stocky bodies. Mechanized.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ha, yes; that is funny. I like it, though.

I think that the Gnomes and the Humans should have a little more racial differences, though, unless they're extremely closer related than the Mayadiles (their official name?), and if they're all descended from the single race.

Or, a long time has passed instead.

About how long ago should the ancient civilization have flourished, then evolved and diminished?
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

HugeEdit: Mis interpreted the question

They could have large cultural diffrences for the gnomes and humans.

One group of the, for now im gonna call em the Dakar would have stayed in the moutains secluded,the rest would head off to discover diffrent parts of the world,and doing so they had to adapt to where they settled.

Not sure Ill have to wip up some ideas.

I mostly thought about their tech,art styles,architechture,and some history...

They would most likely have weapons now obviously to so ill draw out some possible weapon designs.
    Last edited by Player; 2010-03-24 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Oops

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Conworlding

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    I don't see why the croc-men wouldn't have a lateral line, it's an amphibious race.

[...]

Though being a semi-amphibious race, language is going to be harder than picking out biological details. If their vocal cords were similar to ours, they'd be unable to speak under-water. But if they were similar to say, dolphins, they wouldn't be able to create sounds that we can (and vice versa), making communication ridiculously difficult. As I see it, they're going to need some form of sign-language to communicate.
    I think crocodiles are reptiles, not amphibious. It "solves" the water-talking problem too: they do not spend much time completely underwater (neighter speak submersed)
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

6. - Top - End - #216

I am drawing some concept sketches of a specimen of the Crocoatli. I don't know much about about Central and South American culture, but would our "peaceful" species have use for something like a Macana?

Logically, a creature that has evolved sentience/sapience and higher brain functioning would have developed a larger brain case, and especially the frontal lobe would be enlarged. I'm drawing it with a highly domed head, unlike real reptiles. Also, he has quite erect posture, not as hunched over as some of you may have imagined. Also, I believe they should have almost vestigial tails, so that's how I'm drawing him. Also, crocoatls should be partially endothermic like a great white shark or else they would be rather inactive, spending 90% of the day sunning themselves on rocks.

[hr]
    Also, I say we break the Rule of Three and introduce a fourth species, the ant like species I suggested earlier. I think the maximum number of extant species should be five, with additional subpecies:

Saltwater Crocoatl (the bigger kind), Freshwater Crocoatl
    Gnomes: fairly homogeneous features.
    Humans: Equatorial Human (Largest group) Dark skinned, dark haired (Light coloured hair is uncommon),
    North Human- Vaguely aboriginal, with yellowish skin and almond shaped eyes. Dark hair dominant.
    South Human - similar to the Norse. Fair skinned. fair haired.
    Formites: All of them are the same.

More on Formites:

Small. Workers weigh from 45 to 55 pounds.
    Fairly intelligent.
    Fill the role as the underground people/race.
    The only extant subspecies is the temperate Formite, living in subterranean colonies of 200-1200 individuals.
    The tree dwelling Formite subspecies died out decades ago due to genocide by humans.
    Formites live in remote sandy/clay desert climates. The thick layer of sand is perfect for tunneling.
    Formites are largely dismissed by all the other species, especially the humans. They see them as no better than animals, and conduct raids to capture Formites as slave labour. Formites basically have no rights in other settlements, generally avoid them at all costs.
    There are some Formite sympathizers, who teach their slaves skilled trades such as metalworking and construction, crafts they have proven to excel in. (Several Formites needed to perform. Need two just to swing the hammer.)
    Some formites have "escaped", though, and brought their knowledge to the colonies.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kurien, did you see my picture upthread? Crocoatl totally have use for a macana.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I love your Formites Kurien

This world does need a supposed "lower life form".

Every world needs one,and man I wish I could draw detailed sketches.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurien View Post
    I am drawing some concept sketches of a specimen of the Crocoatli. I don't know much about about Central and South American culture, but would our "peaceful" species have use for something like a Macana?
    They probably would, for fighting, because no matter how peaceful, there would still be fighting within the race and Seakin vs. Riverkin, possibly. And can't forget the humans, nosiree.

Also, This may help for researching Mesoamerica.

Logically, a creature that has evolved sentience/sapience and higher brain functioning would have developed a larger brain case, and especially the frontal lobe would be enlarged. I'm drawing it with a highly domed head, unlike real reptiles. Also, he has quite erect posture, not as hunched over as some of you may have imagined. Also, I believe they should have almost vestigial tails, so that's how I'm drawing him. Also, crocoatls should be partially endothermic like a great white shark or else they would be rather inactive, spending 90% of the day sunning themselves on rocks.
    Sounds about right.

Also, I say we break the Rule of Three and introduce a fourth species, the ant like species I suggested earlier. I think the maximum number of extant species should be five, with additional subpecies:
    Hmmm, might be a problem going for five. More races means bigger world to fit them all.

Your race idea might work, and we could fit in other races later if we ever expand.

Saltwater Crocoatl (the bigger kind), Freshwater Crocoatl
    Gnomes: fairly homogeneous features.
    Humans: Equatorial Human (Largest group) Dark skinned, dark haired (Light coloured hair is uncommon),
    North Human- Vaguely aboriginal, with yellowish skin and almond shaped eyes. Dark hair dominant.
    South Human - similar to the Norse. Fair skinned. fair haired.
    Formites: All of them are the same.
    Sounds good, though:

What other differences would the Mayadiles/Crocoatle have between river and sea? Any ideas?

Gnomes. I would imagine that there would be ethnicities for them too, or else they'd have to be small in number.

Equatoral Humans. They sound about right, though I don't think we've talked about whether the area we're working on is on the equator or not. If not, I would imagine they'd have a different skin colour.

North Human: Seems right. Though, of course, don't take too much from the aboriginals. Just make a broad outline for them and go from there. Also, would they have the epicanthal fold?

South Humans: Again, depends on the position of our landmass.

Formites: Would depend on the amounts of them. But, if they're not fully sapient, they'd probably look the same.

More on Formites:

Small. Workers weigh from 45 to 55 pounds.
    Fairly intelligent.
    Fill the role as the underground people/race.
    The only extant subspecies is the temperate Formite, living in subterranean colonies of 200-1200 individuals.
    The tree dwelling Formite subspecies died out decades ago due to genocide by humans.
    Formites live in remote sandy/clay desert climates. The thick layer of sand is perfect for tunneling.
    Formites are largely dismissed by all the other species, especially the humans. They see them as no better than animals, and conduct raids to capture Formites as slave labour. Formites basically have no rights in other settlements, generally avoid them at all costs.
    There are some Formite sympathizers, who teach their slaves skilled trades such as metalworking and construction, crafts they have proven to excel in. (Several Formites needed to perform. Need two just to swing the hammer.)
    Some formites have "escaped", though, and brought their knowledge to the colonies.
    Seems interesting.

I might work on the Gnomes some.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

For Kurien, here's a Formite Slave I drew. I guess he works in the sugar mines or something.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    What other differences would the Mayadiles/Crocoatle have between river and sea? Any ideas?
    We should choose if the first Crocs were River or Seakin. I think the Sea ones could come first, and then some went up the rivers and became a new subspecies. Life in the fresh water was easier, with lots of big mamals everywhere to feed them, smaller predators, shorter distances, etc., which explains their reduced size and strength. Saltlings, being very conservative, don't like their relatives' way of life. Sea-crocs are bigger, stronger and faster, while the River-people developed some divine magic (this can be explained saying that when coming up the river, Crocs found some ancient temples in the swamps, which Gods are now praised by them). Thus:

Sea: big, strong, agile, agressive, conservative, nomad;
    River: archtects, priests, sacrifices;

Gnomes. I would imagine that there would be ethnicities for them too, or else they'd have to be small in number.
    Surely, some gnomes stayed on earth rather than in the flying mountains. They could have founded some colonies and developed in a different way. Maybe some of them live in the underground and are blind in daylight. Others have big hair, feet and hands because they live in the forest.

Have we decided why gnomes don't get out of their flying isles?

Quote Originally Posted by Soterion View Post
    For Kurien, here's a Formite Slave I drew. I guess he works in the sugar mines or something.
    LOL

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio d Bard View Post
    We should choose if the first Crocs were River or Seakin. I think the Sea ones could come first, and then some went up the rivers and became a new subspecies. Life in the fresh water was easier, with lots of big mamals everywhere to feed them, smaller predators, shorter distances, etc., which explains their reduced size and strength. Saltlings, being very conservative, don't like their relatives' way of life. Sea-crocs are bigger, stronger and faster, while the River-people developed some divine magic (this can be explained saying that when coming up the river, Crocs found some ancient temples in the swamps, which Gods are now praised by them). Thus:

Sea: big, strong, agile, agressive, conservative, nomad;
    River: archtects, priests, sacrifices;

Surely, some gnomes stayed on earth rather than in the flying mountains. They could have founded some colonies and developed in a different way. Maybe some of them live in the underground and are blind in daylight. Others have big hair, feet and hands because they live in the forest.

Have we decided why gnomes don't get out of their flying isles?

LOL
    Not sure about the magicky Mayadiles. I would imagine that it would be kind of a human-only ability, making them more than just the "Average boring beings". Divine power, maybe, but not arcane. It is low magic, afterall.

I would imagine that there are some settlements of Seakin. Maybe they've found a sustainable food-source?

Maybe teh flying isles are acutally quite nice?
    I like the ideas for the gnomes.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Not sure about the magicky Mayadiles. I would imagine that it would be kind of a human-only ability, making them more than just the "Average boring beings". Divine power, maybe, but not arcane. It is low magic, afterall.
    Yeah, not very accurate too. Some healings, advices, weather control and other things that can't be surely defined as divine interference (they ask their Gods for it, and, maybe, it happens). That's why they sacrifice (if they do).

I would imagine that there are some settlements of Seakin. Maybe they've found a sustainable food-source?
    I don't know what could it be. Fishes and other water animals are constantly traveling. There aren't lots of animals living by the sea that could feed well a bigger-than-human reptile (there do are salt-water crocodiles, but I don't know what they eat or if they stay their whole life in the same place). They could be vegetarian, but it doesn't fit with (strong, big, fast) Crocs.

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

'Kay, here's the earlier world map, but now showing general ethnic/cultural areas.

Spoiler
    Show

Black lines = Humans
    Puplish lines = Mayadiles
    Red lines = Gnomes

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

'Kay, here's the earlier world map, but now showing general ethnic/cultural areas.

Black lines = Humans
    Puplish lines = Mayadiles
    Red lines = Gnomes
    Good, but we need some shore areas for the humans.

Spoiler
    Show

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course. The map is just an extremely rough diagram. The humans will actually reach the coast, and a lot of the races land would overlap.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just putting a suggestion in: even though it might not make perfect sense to have the seacrocs build settlements, the image of those middle-american pyramids underwater is just too cool.

18. - Top - End - #228

Yes, that would be pretty cool. Building pyramid temples and other pyramids to their gods underwater.

The ones who live upstream more will probably build their temples in the middle of swamps, though. That would make more sense, and would make for great stories.
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I might make a write-up for a northern river-mayadiles civilization. Also, I might start on a very basic language. I'll see how it turns out.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last edited by Soterion; 2010-04-11 at 02:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

...Soterion, did you make that? That's... pretty amazing.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

...Soterion, did you make that?
    Yeah, it took me a couple of hours last night. Do you know how incredibly hard it is to find decent pictures of hands on Google Images? Luckily, I had the Apocalypto soundtrack for inspiration.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Wow...that picture is really awesome!
    I've been following this thread for a while now, but have not dared to post before. I think this world you are creating is interesting indeed and it's always nice to see what new you guys come up with.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Wow...that picture is really awesome!
    I've been following this thread for a while now, but have not dared to post before. I think this world you are creating is interesting indeed and it's always nice to see what new you guys come up with.
    Oh, why thank you.

Do you want to join?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to hop in too, if it's alright (the picture inspired me).

What else needs to be done? I have a rough idea of a pantheon.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    I'd like to hop in too, if it's alright (the picture inspired me).

What else needs to be done? I have a rough idea of a pantheon.
    Of course it's all right. This is an open project. Everyone that's a member of GitP is allowed.

What kind of pantheon? I'm not sure about a single religion for everyone, instead maybe a different religion for each culture, that's ambiguous about if their true or not?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

Of course it's all right. This is an open project. Everyone that's a member of GitP is allowed.

What kind of pantheon? I'm not sure about a single religion for everyone, instead maybe a different religion for each culture, that's ambiguous about if their true or not?
    Hmm...well, it was originally for my own homebrew world that is thus far going nowhere. It also seems I have A LOT less done then I thought. Regardless, it can be found here.

In the case of multiple pantheons, I could work some things out after I read what's been decided on thus far.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm...well, it was originally for my own homebrew world that is thus far going nowhere. It also seems I have A LOT less done then I thought. Regardless, it can be found here.

In the case of multiple pantheons, I could work some things out after I read what's been decided on thus far.
    The religions don't have to be all polytheistic. They could be monotheistic, shamanistic, pantheistic, etc. The possibilities are endless, really.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-04-11 at 05:56 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239

The religions don't have to be all polytheistic. They could be monotheistic, shamanistic, pantheistic, etc. The possibilities are endless, really.
    Eh...upon looking at my schedule, I'm going to have frighteningly little time to devote to this at the present. I may return in a month or so (when I finally get extensive free time).

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh...upon looking at my schedule, I'm going to have frighteningly little time to devote to this at the present. I may return in a month or so (when I finally get extensive free time).
    Don't worry. We'll (most likely) be here.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show