New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Love you guys

1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Love you guys

Amiel has it basically right.

Peace is better than violence, but as Ghandi said, "Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence."
    You're having violence forced on you. A cracked collarbone stops anybody from being violent, especially if they're so used to beating you up while every night you go to training and get a little bit better, and a little bit better, and a little bit better, until one day you dodge their punch, and bring your elbow down against their collarbone and feel it break satisfyingly.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Mmmmm.

Crack!!
    ____

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

I have self-defense taken care of, It's called the Walther P99 :)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    I certainly hope you aren't bringing that to school, as it will land you more than a Saturday detention.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    I certainly hope you aren't bringing that to school, as it will land you more than a Saturday detention.
    Nah, but my mom is the mail lady for our district. I know where they live

6. - Top - End - #156

ClericGirl

Nah, but my mom is the mail lady for our district. I know where they live
    ...I'm just going to chalk that one up to a bad joke.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

I wouldn't shoot anyone, but I do know where they live

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    When we were in High School my brother wore a trenchcoat to school once and someone actually called the police.

He did that kind of thing a lot. One of the vice principles hated him so much it was hilarious. She quit/retired/transferred/I don't know after my freshman year so I never dealt with her. But oh, the STORIES!
    Once I became a metalhead and started wearing my trench coat alot, it actually helped a ton to make people stop messing with me. Aside from doing this, I'd also recommend just standing up to yourself, because if you continually stand up for yourself when someone is messing with you then they move on and look for an easier target. Also, if a teacher takes your stuff just because she "thinks your trying to hex her" bring a parent in and talk to the principle, and if that doesn't work threaten to go to the superintendent. principles and teachers are terrified of parents, it works wonders.
    Last edited by zeratul; 2010-02-21 at 02:07 PM.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

I have nothing good to say about this, but like THAC0 I'm going to chalk it up to a bad joke 'cause the post I originally had was... brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashery View Post
    Carrying over is a more legitimate, for the lack of a better word, complaint. But still, answer me this:

How is an instructor supposed to understand that you know what's going on without writing it down?

I suppose we could go into a discussion on other methods that an instructor can use to test their students' ability, but the above question still stands.
    I think we're mostly kinda-sorta getting to the same thing, but it's just beating a dead horse anyhow.

I'd say me getting the right answer would be a pretty good indication of me knowing what's going on, eh?

Emphasis mine.

Thanks for an excuse to pour a second drink, heh.
    My experience with the public schools have kept business booming for many a liquor company.

Alcoholism here I come!
    Teaching high school math, it was bound to happen eventually. You're ahead of the curve! Woohoo!

Eventually the procedure becomes second nature. When I do these types of problems, I don't think about'em, much as you don't think about your shooting. It becomes reflex after enough practice. The fundamentals are so ingrained that they become second nature. I suppose this is where the "quantity over quantity" problem originates, as well. You need to *practice* to get to this level, but at the same time you need to have adequate feedback on your work. That feedback part just happens to be badly neglected...

Also note: I am not an actual high school instructor, but rather a grad student with a fair bit of TA'ing experience that will likely end up teaching HS for a living.
    Yes, but if we're only taught how to punch it into the calculator...

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    Warm fuzzies are well and good, but reality and life are pretty harsh. There are jerkass people in the real world and there's no administration system to protect you.

Get yourself involved in a martial arts or self defense program. It'll do wonders for your confidence, boost your self esteem and it'll help you out if the bullies start pounding on you again.

Our news down here, both the print media and visual form, frequently reports on violence within the school yard; with fights regularly erupting (sending kids to hospitals unconscious) to kids from prestigious private schools selling drugs to other kids, and everything in between. The level of street violence is also insane; to the point that many fear to go out at night.
    I agree, self-defense and learning a good martial art are good ideas. To be blunt, quit knuckling under and quit being so bleedin' stupid. One kid in high school made the mistake of taking something from me. I ran him down and beat the living tar out of him in front of the entire cafeteria. I can do that. I'm a mean, angry sonuvagun who knows how to fight. If you don't, change that. You don't necessarily have to be mean - I'd advise against it, eventually you look around and find you're the only one standing there - but Froogley, you do need to learn how to fight. When those kids took your book and you let them beat on you to take it back, how it should have gone down was you take apart at least one of them, book be damned. Just losing, submitting like that hurts you far worse than getting the tar beaten out of you.

This is probably no fault of the teachers; they only have so much to work with after all and have to work with only what they are given. And in many cases, it isn't pretty. The teachers can't do much for problem-behaviour students and a slap across the face is sure to get that teacher sacked.

The concept of respect is lost on many kids, who are really rebels without any cause or meaning. They should bring back corporal punishment. That'd teach kids proper discipline and respect.

Cool and popular are overrated; with coolness and popularity being 99% theatrics.
    A student's behavior is not the teacher's responsibility. It is the parent's and the student's responsibility.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    I think the greatest thing about the playground is that the occasional "I love this place, I love you all" thread pops up regularly.
    May I, may I sig this?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

*glances at OP*

...alright, somebody go sic Anonymous on these people. This is wrong on many, many levels. About half of which a patently illegal. Perhaps Minnesota is Magical Happy Land compared to Alabama, but anyone trying this sort of stuff at the schools I've been to would crash and burn FAST.

Of course, I haven't been bothered by people for such things in nearly a decade. One of the perks of being built like a gorilla.

But yeah. Sic the Law on this place, man. If that doesn't work, get the hell out of there. Do NOT suffer fools.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I think they have to give you back that piece of quartz after a certain amount of time otherwise it's considered stealing.

But yeah, get your mom to send you somewhere else. There HAS to be another school around there.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Cosplay as the Slender Man for school.

That is all.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Well, even if they call you names, and punch you and stuff, remember:

Revenge will be slow, painful, and sweet. Completely merciless, too.

Nevermind that, I think we all love you too. It's nice to know we have a place to escape reality.
    Kids can be cruel. So can adults that are only considered to be adults in a technical rather than mature sense.

I hope things get better. Things were tough for me up until high school. I'm lucky because it was hip to be "weird" at my school, and still is, but people leave me alone because I'm quiet unless you poke at me and then, I'll tear you apart verbally (but not crudely).

There is a way to live with elegance and poise, regardless of gender.
    There is a way to hold your head up high.

I personally would not bring valuables relating to *this* world to school because they could be broken, lost, or stolen, not because it's incorrect to do so.

I also do not advertise what I am into at school but that's for other reasons.
    I play World of Warcraft, NeverWinter Nights, and First Life.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketa View Post
    I also do not advertise what I am into at school but that's for other reasons.
    okay i am sick of not being able to sig stuff. This going into my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    For all I know you ARE hooked on hell's acid, but don't take that crap. From anyone.

16. - Top - End - #166

Cosplay as Summon the Slender Man for school.

That is all.
    There I fixed it.
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-02-22 at 03:25 PM.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Banned

Well, I was at the doctors office today, but tommorow I'm gonna handle these guys.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Love you guys

Let us know how it goes. I don't think it needs mentioning how much support you have from us (yes, even lurkers like me).
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    Let us know how it goes. I don't think it needs mentioning how much support you have from us (yes, even lurkers like me).
    I second this support.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

Yay! supporters!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Go get 'em. Then take photos of yourself holding their mangled corpses and go be the envy of the "YOU! Picture/Media" thread. After all, how many of them posed with the corpses of their victims?
    ...which is my way of saying "I third the support." But, you know, this way sounds cooler.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

so how are you gonna do it? You gonna beat em' up? Or are you summoning the slender man? OH OH!! You are going to train for years as a ninja and then when at your highscool reunion when they are all talking about what they are now tell them you are a ninja then stab them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    For all I know you ARE hooked on hell's acid, but don't take that crap. From anyone.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by babeeroniea View Post
    so how are you gonna do it? You gonna beat em' up? Or are you summoning the slender man? OH OH!! You are going to train for years as a ninja and then when at your highscool reunion when they are all talking about what they are now tell them you are a ninja then stab them.
    The last one, if I had time, but I have a plan that requires little time. I'm gonna take off my socks, fill them with gravel on the way to school, and walk the halls untill I see the one that took my book. Then I'll randomly tackle him and beat him with my gravel sock

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Gravel? Sod that, go buy a halfbrick. And find a good lawyer, since this is, y'know, assault we're talking about here.

If I were you, I'd find some way to hold my own in a fight, be it training or buying some pepper spray or what-have-you, and then not use it unless I actually had to. Since attacking a guy who beat you up in the past is illegal and all. Fighting back when he tries to beat you up is less likely to result in your suspension, and you get to beat the tar out of him either way. I'd say "and maybe you'll get lucky and never HAVE to defend yourself," but it sounds like that's probably not how things'll turn out.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2010-02-22 at 06:16 PM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I say attack when they attack. It gives you somewhat of an alibi.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Wow my best advice would to not wail on people , with heavy objects at school , it didn't work out too well for me , So Don't do it.....However , I would be a hypocrite because It made me feel like I stood up for myself for the first time in my life , and although the consequences were laughable and not serious , they could have been ....so don't wail on people ?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellardin View Post
    Wow my best advice would to not wail on people , with heavy objects at school , it didn't work out too well for me , So Don't do it.....However , I would be a hypocrite because It made me feel like I stood up for myself for the first time in my life , and although the consequences were laughable and not serious , they could have been ....so don't wail on people ?
    It's not hypocrisy, it's speaking from experience. Now, if you were to continue to bludgeon your problems and say "Violence is wrong", then that would make you a hypocrite.
    Oddly, I'm one who has never seen violence as being inherently wrong, but I'm of the school that picking a fight and losing won't get anywhere.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

28. - Top - End - #178
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: If we could not have threads about doing real world violence to people, especially those that advocate such a thing, that'd be better for all involved.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-02-22 at 11:35 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex