New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread

The how-manieth Base Class Challenge is this, anyway?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Third. Also, lazy OP is lazy. Plus, y'know, two jobs. Newborn. Find the earlier ones yourself :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

IcarusWings, you do know that the save against an Embodiment taking over is simply ridiculous?

I mean, at level 20, this guy must make a dc 50 minimum will save. You need a minimum of +18 to will just to be able to pass it, and a ridiculous +28 to be able to pass it with 50/50 odds. And why would controlling ones personality become harder the more experienced one gets?

Plus, letting the Dm take your character isn't really fun, especially if it is for a few hours.

I would suggest making the save dc either 15 + 1 for each 1 point over maximum influence, or 10 + 2 for each (if you're really mean, 15 + 2 per point).

Also, depending on the levels of the exertions, you might want to reduce the influence toll (2 per level is conservative if the max level is 6 or under, after that you might want to put 1 per level, and if it works like pp, 1 per 2 levels)
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

4. - Top - End - #424

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Jester View Post
    IcarusWings, you do know that the save against an Embodiment taking over is simply ridiculous?

I mean, at level 20, this guy must make a dc 50 minimum will save. You need a minimum of +18 to will just to be able to pass it, and a ridiculous +28 to be able to pass it with 50/50 odds. And why would controlling ones personality become harder the more experienced one gets?

Plus, letting the Dm take your character isn't really fun, especially if it is for a few hours.
    I would suggest making the save dc either 15 + 1 for each 1 point over maximum influence, or 10 + 2 for each (if you're really mean, 15 + 2 per point).
    I know it's hard, I wanted it to be hard. The idea is for the character to really not want to go over the influence limit. If you think I should though, I will lower it and maybe change the duration of the possession to minutes or even rounds. And the reason that the DC scales with level is that if it's too easy to make the save at higher levels then characters might just start going boom at everything all the time, knowing that they can easily make the save.

Also, depending on the levels of the exertions, you might want to reduce the influence toll (2 per level is conservative if the max level is 6 or under, after that you might want to put 1 per level, and if it works like pp, 1 per 2 levels)
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you mean the maximum augment levels then it's gonna be your HD.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

5. - Top - End - #425
    Banned

Hmmm, I'll post my Philosopher base class once I get some feedback from my group.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokasti View Post
    Hmmm, I'll post my Philosopher base class once I get some feedback from my group.
    Bawww, and I thought I was going to be the last entrant for a while there, too!

Seriously though, "Philosopher"? Highly interested I am at that name. Doubly so since I am one.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Banned

It was originally called the Savant, but my group (being the mature, upright citizens they are) would never stop with the idiot-savant comments. So, philosopher.
    Basic idea is arcane caster from the domain list with some cool features as well that should give them flexibility with their role in the group dynamic.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Flexible role FTW.

Once this challenge is over, perhaps I'll need to test if my own philosopher powers work like your Philosopher's. (Or just playtest it for kicks. )

9. - Top - End - #429
    Banned

"Can man live on bread alone?"
    Player: I buy 500 loaves of bread!
    DM: That.... doesn't answer the question. Plus, your an elf.

10. - Top - End - #430

So folks are happier with this theme overall than the last two?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you mean the maximum augment levels then it's gonna be your HD.
    I was wondering if the cost was based on the "spell level" or from the caster level. If it is caster level, than 2x that means that, at level 20, this class can only use 6 spells at max level, which is pretty low. If it was 1 per caster level, than you could get 14, which is decent.

The proportion is almost the same if you take spell levels from 1 to 9 and use the 2 per level.
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

12. - Top - End - #432

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Jester View Post
    I was wondering if the cost was based on the "spell level" or from the caster level. If it is caster level, than 2x that means that, at level 20, this class can only use 6 spells at max level, which is pretty low. If it was 1 per caster level, than you could get 14, which is decent.
    I suppose I'll change it to the influence increases by the augment level, and the other embodiment's influence decreases by half (rounding up or down? not sure) of the augment level. Thanks for the input.

In other news I've nearly finished the first three virtues (compassion, valour, and persistence) and the first three vices (cowardice, trickery, and pride) and all of their associated forms.
    Last edited by IcarusWings; 2010-10-11 at 02:42 PM.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

13. - Top - End - #433

All right, I believe I'm done putting some of the editing touches on the ur-mage, except that I'd like to expand out the fluff a bit. Any thoughts on it?
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post
    All right, I believe I'm done putting some of the editing touches on the ur-mage, except that I'd like to expand out the fluff a bit. Any thoughts on it?
    Well, I'd say there are some issues with letting them use such a wide variety of spells. Not just the broken ones of course, but buff spells with "range: touch" especially. Get two Ur-Mages together and they would need only a single Heal spell that they could keep casting on each other to never need to worry about death by hp damage anymore. If one would have one or more save-boosting spells so that the target would prettymuch only fail on a 1 they could keep going with that infinitely as well. And of course keep buff-looping with stuff like Eagle's Splendour and Haste. I have had prettymuch the same problem with a life-energy-based caster that I posted on the Gleemax forums two years ago and seen something similar with some attempts at blue mage types.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    So folks are happier with this theme overall than the last two?
    While I wasn't really around for the second one, I saw the first be put up, but I couldn't really do anything with the theme. I'm more at home with this one, most definitely. Looking forward to what the next one may turn out to be.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-12 at 08:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Edited the Chosen a bit, Voice of the Deity got an overhaul, so did the domain powers.

Still need to fill out the rest of the domain powers, and find a picture, and the class is done. (domains remaining: fire, plant, protection, strength, law, sun, trickery, war and water. that means 13/22 are done.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Dwarf in the Playground

Technician is up.
    ...and to balance the seriousness of anything I might have said: boingo boingo whoopsy knickers.(Apologies to B. Croshaw)
    My homebrews:
    The Xeromancer [PrC], The Gamer [Monster] (Monster Contest XXXII Winner)The Sworn [Base Class]...and various things scattered around the forums I can't be bothered to track down again.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #437

Unfortunately I'm gonna' have to pull out again , Real Life came up and I haven't had time to finish any of the traits or their forms or exertions. I'll probably keep working on the class though, so you will see it on the boards soon enough.
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

At the last minitue possible, a complete Chosen is up.

Damn, I wonna play one now. some combinations here can be really nasty. (and really cool. especially with a fire god. when you can take metabreath feats!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Since I just saw Kellus' entry as a last post... I don't think that's allowed...

Could just be an erroneous post though, but just sayin'.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-28 at 05:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Yeah, totally not allowed if it's already been posted.

My extended homebrew sig

21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground

For what it's worth, I posted the class in both places at the same time–*the contest to have it entered, but also on the main board so that I could get feedback and so more people would see it. It's not like it's something I made previously and posted anew. I made it specifically for the contest.

If that disqualifies me, okay.

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    For what it's worth, I posted the class in both places at the same time–*the contest to have it entered, but also on the main board so that I could get feedback and so more people would see it. It's not like it's something I made previously and posted anew. I made it specifically for the contest.

If that disqualifies me, okay.
    Sadly, it does; there's nothing stopping you from posting it on its own after the contest, but I discourage posting it separately while the contest is still going.

My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Considering there's no way I'll be able to finish what exactly I had in mind before tomorrow - unless it doesn't end like first thing tomorrow but at the end of it - I will either have to make some changes to the Bloodwriting or pull out. And I certainly don't want to do the latter!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Gah! This always happens to me. I think I'll have enough time, so I put it off until later, then I end up forgetting and attempting to finish at the last minute. Hopefully I'll be able to finish by Sunday Saturday , we'll see.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-10-30 at 04:23 AM.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Is there an exact time this challenge closes? If it's something in the afternoon, Pacific time, I'll be able to prettymuch finish it just yet.

EDIT: Okay, after a flash session of DnD that consumed a quarter of my day, I managed to finish enough bloodwritten runes as to make the hemoscribe playable at least. It can be considered finished as such, though once this challenge ends I will continue to work on it so that I can post the grand thing I strive for. For now though, I really really really need some sleep...
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-30 at 09:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

When does voting start?
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

27. - Top - End - #447

In the absence of Lord_Gareth's instructions, I'll just set up a voting thread like last time, gimme a minute
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Is there an exact time this challenge closes? If it's something in the afternoon, Pacific time, I'll be able to prettymuch finish it just yet.

EDIT: Okay, after a flash session of DnD that consumed a quarter of my day, I managed to finish enough bloodwritten runes as to make the hemoscribe playable at least. It can be considered finished as such, though once this challenge ends I will continue to work on it so that I can post the grand thing I strive for. For now though, I really really really need some sleep...
    I'm glad you're going to finish this. I really, really like it. In fact, if my character dies in my current campaign I will totally make a Hemoscribe. I assume the obvious joke in the name is intentional?

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    In the absence of Lord_Gareth's instructions, I'll just set up a voting thread like last time, gimme a minute
    Consider yourself official vot-y thread guy.

My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Consider yourself official vot-y thread guy.
    I am honoured my liege
    Or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers