New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,493 of 1493
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    It's a roleplaying game book convention (in some circles at least) to not assume that the players/characters are all one gender and they'll alternate which pronoun they use. I barely notice the oddity anymore.
    I always remembered it as "all players are male, all DMs are female, everyone cross-plays".

It does vary from game to game, but usually not when it's clearly referring to the same person each time.

As for the deathknight issue, Secret has both been referred to as a Deathknight and described herself as one.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-06-18 at 03:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Keychain of Creation 3: Not-a-Keyblade Understanding & Falafel-is-Awesome Prana C

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    I don't think Secret qualifies as a Deathknight, though.
    Experts disagree.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Yes, yes they do.

Although we have just established that apparently one becomes a deathknight by obtaining a Lunar knack, so... yeah.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-06-18 at 03:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1474

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    It's a roleplaying game book convention (in some circles at least) to not assume that the players/characters are all one gender and they'll alternate which pronoun they use. I barely notice the oddity anymore.
    Yeah, but that's just dumb. D&D 3 did it right (they alternated gender, but not for the same character; if an example started with "she" and "her", it continued with "she" and "her" till the end; same for "he" and "his"). There it does it completely wrong. It's not gender equality, it's just poor writing. If an author does not want to choose a gender for a single character, they can use the singular they instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    If an author does not want to choose a gender for a single character, they can use the singular they instead.
    I think he flips a coin everytime he comes across a gender pronoun.

At least they don't have that issue during sample character write-ups, otherwise it'd be fairly jarring and confusing.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Do we have any sort of consensus on a name?

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, but that's just dumb. D&D 3 did it right (they alternated gender, but not for the same character; if an example started with "she" and "her", it continued with "she" and "her" till the end; same for "he" and "his"). There it does it completely wrong. It's not gender equality, it's just poor writing. If an author does not want to choose a gender for a single character, they can use the singular they instead.
    Usually, but the Stronghold Builder's Guide was a notable exception. It only had one character in an extended example throughout the book, with an androgynous elven name. He or she changed gender from sidebar to sidebar, and the whole thing gave me a headache.

Lesser minion: I believe most people have voted for "Deathknight needs hug badly." Gauntlet reference FTW!
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

TECHNICALLY, singular "they" is also poor English. We have to use it because there is not a gender ambiguous pronoun in English and there likely never will be. Singular "They" is appropriate for colloquial speech, but in a formal piece it should be avoided.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

9. - Top - End - #1479

Keychain of Creation 4: Sorcerous Enlightenment of He Who Puts Foot In Mouth
    Keychain of Creation 4: Waiting On Infernals
    Keychain of Creation 4: Trespassers Beware of the Lunar
    Keychain of Creation 4: Poor Casteing
    Keychain of Creation 4: Inquiring Minds Insincere Confirmation Prana
    Last edited by Revlid; 2010-06-18 at 04:25 PM.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Banned

Keychain of Creation 4: I'm Liking Ten Winds More and More?
    Keychain of Creation 4: Where Did I Put My Keys?
    Keychain of Creation 4: Behind You! It's the KUKLA!
    Keychain of Creation 4: Ink Monkeys called, they want to fix Misho
    Last edited by Jokasti; 2010-06-18 at 04:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm going to stick behind Keychain of Creation IV: Deathknight Needs Hug Badly, but I wouldn't mind getting at least a little consensus.

There seem to be a few other people who like it, and a few people who seem to hate it with the fury of the unconquered sun.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-06-18 at 04:39 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

I personally think that "badly" doesn't ring well. I think my sugestion of "The Deathknight Needs A Hug" sounds better (but then again, I would).

I can get behind "Deathknight Needs Hug Badly" too, however. It's not terrible.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I personally think that "badly" doesn't ring well. I think my sugestion of "The Deathknight Needs A Hug" sounds better (but then again, I would).

I can get behind "Deathknight Needs Hug Badly" too, however. It's not terrible.
    Well, the 'badly' is a fairly big chunk of the reference.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, it was a reference. Very well, I still say it's okay. Go with it.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Banned

I think it should rhyme with four.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

I can get behind the Deathknight title.

Also, i were thinking, isnt it very likely that Marena's grandfather is still alive? how old is it now terestials get?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    TECHNICALLY, singular "they" is also poor English. We have to use it because there is not a gender ambiguous pronoun in English and there likely never will be. Singular "They" is appropriate for colloquial speech, but in a formal piece it should be avoided.
    There is. It's "he", the same as masculine third person singular pronoun. Just like "you" is both second person singular and second person plural.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

18. - Top - End - #1488

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    If it's good enough for Shakespeare, it's good enough for me. If English finds it poor, methinks the language doth protest too much.

19. - Top - End - #1489

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    There is. It's "he", the same as masculine third person singular pronoun. Just like "you" is both second person singular and second person plural.
    This is a more recent creation and no more legitimate than 'they' as the third person singular gender-neutral pronoun.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #1490

I just don't like the "Deathknight Needs a Hug Badly" title because, as has been said, the obsession with Secret in these threads is already at mildly uncomfortable levels. She's cute, yes, and a Woobie, but it can be taken to the point of weirdness. Marena's lost just as much, Karen's a fair martyr, and I'm prepared to bet Misho's backstory has some solid tragedy in it.

Keychain of Creation 4: To Post, You Need One Dot of Lore

Say it out loud.

And as for the Grammarites - you're arguing over the English tongue, a language so debased it's practically floating. A third of its words are either stolen or were made up on the spot by authors, graffiti artists, or bloggers. Calm down a little.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Banned

I like it. :ten:

22. - Top - End - #1492

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156744

If you don't like that title, you should have argued less and created new threads more.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156744

If you don't like that title, you should have argued less and created new threads more.
    Heh, damn straight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft