New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: LGBTitp - Part Six

*pokes bluewind's post* Said far better than I ever could, but very, very true.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Omigosh, I wanted to add...

*yells out "Hug pile for Jackie!" and gives her a biiiiiig hug*
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

3. - Top - End - #543

Zombie

I approve of hug piles. Especially for awesome people like Jacklu.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Omigosh, I wanted to add...

*yells out "Hug pile for Jackie!" and gives her a biiiiiig hug*
    Agreed. Everyone hug Jacklu!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #545

WolfInSheepsClothing

You people are far to kind to me. But thanks all the same. I'm just... burned out from life right now. My question was directed towards where I fit in the sexual and gender spectrum, because I get so absolutely confused about myself sometimes. I know what I am attracted to and what I feel I am on the inside, but... sometimes I just... get overwhelmed by it all. Self confidence issues and whatnot. How I fit into it all. Whether I am what I think I am or if I am somehow damaged goods. If I am what I think I am or if I am just pretending. Pretending so well that I don't even know myself that I am. Trying to be... special or something. -_-

Sorry for the meh. Though it is very nice to see so many people say nice things about me. *totally didn't cry** So... Thanks. I only hope that I am as helpful to you all as you are to me.

*Yeah, I cried.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

6. - Top - End - #546

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jacklu View Post
    You people are far to kind to me. But thanks all the same.
    Nonsense. We were stating facts, rather akin to "the sky is blue," "chocolate is yummy," and "fuzzy kittens are cuddly." I don't know you very well, but I've been lurking for a while both here and in the depression thread, and I can state quite definitively that "Jacklu is a good person who has helped a lot of people with their problems, and is totally awesome and deserving of hug piles."

I'm just... burned out from life right now. My question was directed towards where I fit in the sexual and gender spectrum, because I get so absolutely confused about myself sometimes. I know what I am attracted to and what I feel I am on the inside, but... sometimes I just... get overwhelmed by it all. ...
    This I totally get. I generally talk myself in circles trying to figure out my own gender related issues, and typically am comfortable just shrugging and peacefully co-existing with my confusion. But its tenuous, and something eventually happens that jolts me out of that place. (Like today I got an e-mail from the head of my club asking us to fill out a short survey. Said survey included asking us our gender, and had check boxes for "male" and "female." Not for "It's complicated" or even "Other," which is what I usually check. Experienced about five minutes of being really overwhelmed and near panic, and then left it blank. Stupid survey.)

All I can say is that there's a pretty nifty support system right here, and whenever you're in need of someone to talk to, bake you digital cookies, or initiate hug piles, we're all here. *offers cookies*

Sorry for the meh. Though it is very nice to see so many people say nice things about me. *totally didn't cry** So... Thanks. I only hope that I am as helpful to you all as you are to me.

*Yeah, I cried.
    No apologies necessary. *offers tissues to go with cookies and hug piles*

7. - Top - End - #547
    Dwarf in the Playground

So y'all, I need a bit of help. My teacher has assigned a paper, and my topic is the Gay Rights Movement in the 20th century. Would anyone happen to have any helpful info, or perhaps point me to some websites or resources? Thanks much!

Edit: Yes Danne, in the US!
    Last edited by Elentari; 2010-05-03 at 05:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548

Zombie

You mean in the U.S., yes? I know a lot more about the movement in the past ten years or so, but I can think of a few things you should look into just off the top of my head -- Matt Shepard, Harvey Milk, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," DOMA, and the Stonewall Riots, to name a few. Also forced hormone treatments for gay men (I don't know the extent to which this was done to lesbians) and those awful "camp" things (that are still around today) where they try to brainwash kids into thinking they're straight.

I googled it for you and this website has basic timeline with other events you could investigate. There's also apparently a book on the subject that you might be able to find at a library.

9. - Top - End - #549

WolfInSheepsClothing

Good luck with the report, Elentari! However, I think that the subject matter might cross a little too close to real world politics for the giant boards. =/

10. - Top - End - #550
    Colossus in the Playground

I found it interesting (from a civil rights movement documentary I saw years ago and so this may not be totally accurate) that around the 60s, lesbians were sort of wavering between the gay rights and women's rights movements. They discovered that the gay men were really just interested in the rights of gay men, and (I think) were as misogynist as any other group of men at the time (not universal, or perhaps even majority, but... well, you know), and so threw in their lot with feminism, instead.
    But that might be beyond the scope of that assignment...

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I found it interesting (from a civil rights movement documentary I saw years ago and so this may not be totally accurate) that around the 60s, lesbians were sort of wavering between the gay rights and women's rights movements. They discovered that the gay men were really just interested in the rights of gay men, and (I think) were as misogynist as any other group of men at the time (not universal, or perhaps even majority, but... well, you know), and so threw in their lot with feminism, instead.
    But that might be beyond the scope of that assignment...
    I think of a lot of the confusion also came from second-wave feminism's embrace of lesbianism as a sexual emancipation of some kind - not "true" lesbians, but wanting to be free of men while still controlling their own "sexuality", many threw themselves into lesbianism - leading to a common thought that feminists are all lesbians or vice versa...
    Or I'm wrong. *shrug*
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

12. - Top - End - #552

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jacklu View Post
    Good luck with the report, Elentari! However, I think that the subject matter might cross a little too close to real world politics for the giant boards. =/
    Well, she said the topic was the 20th century movement, so that's probably more board-safe than events in the past few years. Still probably best to just point her at sources and let her have fun researching, though.

And yes, good luck on your paper, Elentari. *forgot to mention that part before*

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

Hai guise. So, I need some help from you guys ('n gals) for a friend of mine. Seems he's come to the realization that he wants to be a girl. He's...er, I wanna say 16, at the moment, and about 290lbs. He's gone through all the literature on the subject, and he's talked with his parents about it - they're both really supportive, which makes me happy for him - and he's got me and a few other friends...but he doesn't really know anyone who's going through/has gone through the whole man -> woman process. Is there anyone on here who wouldn't mind randomly talking to someone about this? And I could like give him your email? Cuz that'd be superspecialawesome. :D
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Go nuts.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Go nuts.
    Did you use the new spoiler button to do that? -prodprod- :P

Anyhoo. Thanks! He'll probably email you soon.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler button?

Spoiler
    Show
    SHINEEEEEEEEE
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

17. - Top - End - #557

WolfInSheepsClothing

Feel free to direct her here herself. We are always happy to help people and it might be nice for her to have an online circle of strangers to talk with on the subject.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah!
    (Hugs all)

19. - Top - End - #559

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Hai guise. So, I need some help from you guys ('n gals) for a friend of mine. Seems he's come to the realization that he wants to be a girl. He's...er, I wanna say 16, at the moment, and about 290lbs. He's gone through all the literature on the subject, and he's talked with his parents about it - they're both really supportive, which makes me happy for him - and he's got me and a few other friends...but he doesn't really know anyone who's going through/has gone through the whole man -> woman process. Is there anyone on here who wouldn't mind randomly talking to someone about this? And I could like give him your email? Cuz that'd be superspecialawesome. :D
    This makes me happy for her. Give her my congrats.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Is it bad I'm still referring to her as him? I mean, physically, she's a him. Until recently, she's been a him to everyone. It's how we know her/m.

Also, I'd direct her/m here, but s/he doesn't generally do a lot of forum-going.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Is it bad I'm still referring to her as him? I mean, physically, she's a him. Until recently, she's been a him to everyone. It's how we know her/m.

Also, I'd direct her/m here, but s/he doesn't generally do a lot of forum-going.
    Is it just me, or is her/m a very unfortunate term to employ under the circumstances.

Good for your buddy, though. If she does drop in, though, we'd be happy to chat.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #562

Heh heh... Herms

I dunno, could be worth getting into the habit now. Even if they end up changing their mind or whatever, you can just go back.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Is it just me, or is her/m a very unfortunate term to employ under the circumstances.

Good for your buddy, though. If she does drop in, though, we'd be happy to chat.
    I used "her/m" mostly out of having no idea what pronoun to use. O_o

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #564

Assuming Golly and I are talking about the same thing, this is a Herm, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the term:

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming Golly and I are talking about the same thing, this is a Herm, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the term:
    O_o

Brainbleach. I need it now.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #566

Oh, don't be such a wuss Have you seen the walls of Pompeii?!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, don't be such a wuss Have you seen the walls of Pompeii?!
    They were WAAAAAY better back before they faded.

There was this one house of ill repute down near the trade streets that had an absolutely GORGEOUS illustration of their services. Ironically, it was far more attractive than anything else there.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno. It has no face.

29. - Top - End - #569

Normally this is said by/on the behalf of women, but on its behalf... its face is up there, so to speak.
    Unless you have really weird "bits".

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh sorry, it's a foreskin joke/Seinfeld reference.