New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Oceans of Legacy (IC)

Adalias sheathes her bade, which immediately vanishes from sight as though never there. Offering an apologetic smile to the barkeep for the damage she did to the table and bar, she hops down to the floor. Holding one hand out in front of her, palm up, she concentrates for a moment. A shimmering ball of light the size of a grapefruit appears suspended in midair above her outstretched palm.

"If any of you took serious injuries, I suggest you find someone more practiced in the art of healing. For scrapes or bruises however, I can be of assistance - just as soon as I see to myself."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sword sheathing is contingent on the rats inside all being dead by this time.

Adalias creates a Font, per the Paladin ability, which will heal (Cha mod x 1/2 Paladin levels), or 3hp in this case, to one target at the start of each of her turns. It persists for a number of rounds equal to her Cha mod, or 3 in this case. She'll take the first two hits, bringing her up to full hp again, and will give the third to anyone who shows up and needs it.

This is, of course, assuming that all the rats are dead.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Combat Round Three:

Outside:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thoroughly fed up with the tenacious rat, Chrak decides to chop it to bits once and for all. "Little rat, you are beginning to pester me." Chrak jumps into the air and puts his full weight into his strike. Unfortunately, while he is floating up in the air, the one-eyed paladin Audr runs out from the pub and decides to take out the rat by herself. Slamming down onto it with the flat of her blade, the rat is squished like a bug with a sickenig crack. Chrak only barely manages to lift up his weapon on time and land safely on the smoldering carcass.

Meanwhile, as Andromalia runs towards the fires with her bucket of water, Fayd chooses to tackle the issue from another angle. With a visibly less intense burst of icy wind, the fires are both extinguished.

The only sounds to be heard are the subdued squeals of a pig just starting to realize that the danger is gone.

Inside
    Spoiler
    Show

As Sasha pokes in her head to see where the rest of the rats are, Uukoo and Cal run towards the rat on the table, Cal swearing revenge on the rodent and Uukoo loudly grunting.
    Using his superior reach, Uukoo strikes first. Uukoo knocks the rat unconscious with a single strike of his wing, slams it again with his second wing, and pins it to the wall with his trident.
    Cal's attack comes but a moment later, swinging his blade into the rat's skull to be sure of its demise.

The other rat upon the steps fared a bit better in combat. Another musket round from the bartender missed, as did the thrown dagger of the third card player. Caine Jagi was not so unfortunate, however.
    "Ah, you little-" Caine says, shielding his face from the torrent of flames. "Looks like you've been drinking too, huh?" He asks introspectively, as he dusts himself off and stares at the broken bottle in his hand. Then he tries to slam the jagged end down on the rat several times, missing with the first strike but skewering it with the second.

For a moment or two, the pub is completely silent, save for the crackling of the smoldering rat bodies. It is then that Adalias sheathes her bade, which immediately vanishes from sight as though never there. Offering an apologetic smile to the barkeep for the damage she did to the table and bar, she hops down to the floor. Holding one hand out in front of her, palm up, she concentrates for a moment. A shimmering ball of light the size of a grapefruit appears suspended in midair above her outstretched palm.

"If any of you took serious injuries, I suggest you find someone more practiced in the art of healing. For scrapes or bruises however, I can be of assistance - just as soon as I see to myself."

The drunkard burnt earlier timidly approaches Adalias. Even though he looks a bit better, half of his face is a large third-degree burn. His other eye seems to be crying in pain.

Meanwhile, one of the crew members that was watching from the entrance, the shorter one with the bandana, pushes his way past Sasha, and walks up to the bartender. He hands a large, jingling sack to the bartender and starts talking in hushed tones.

Those of you trying to eavesdrop:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make a listen check.

Everyone
    The bearded crew man with the rapier steps back a bit from the pub and calls out in a loud voice, "CAL! GRAB THE NEW RECRUITS! WE HAVE A SCHEDULE TO KEEP AND WE CAN'T BE LATE." With that said, he turns around, walks towards Chrak, and says something briefly before continuing towards the ship.

Audr and Chrak only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looking at Chrak, the bearded man adds "Round up the passengers and assure them this won't happen again."

Tetelo only
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detected a pipe of metal embedded in the leg of the bearded man before he left

Summary:
    All rats are now dead
    Check OOC thread for XP rewards.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Ah, well..."

Andromalia readjusts her cloak and armor, before returning the bucket to where she found it. After she has stowed away her weapon she returns to the pub to see if anybody needs help, but sees that Adalias is already taking care of everything.

"Ah, well... to the ship, then."

The sulfury smell around Andromalia is now much more noticeable, although it is already lessening again.
    Last edited by Iun; 2010-04-25 at 04:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Alright, everyone that wishes to go aboard Silver Dutchess please do so now. Don't worry. I promise this type of thing won't happen again. Everyone looking for work, follow me.
    Cal will then walk outside and repeat the message.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-25 at 04:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Now that the battle seems to be over, Fayd makes a mental note to check on Chrak later as he has been wounded but seems to still be doing fine. "I'm right with you in a second," he says to Cal as he passes him. Now that the people can calm down again, they can feel a soothing presence coming from Fayd as he approaches the burnt customer. After a quick examination of his wound and waiting for his powers to heal the worst of it, Fayd gently pushes him towards Adalias, encouragingly telling him not to be afraid. He nods at the woman to thank her for her help and goes over to the older man with the broken bottle in his hand.

"May I take a look at your wound?" Should Caine agree, Fayd draws power from his belt to mend the burn. As no one else seemed to have been wounded in the fight, he returns outside, following Cal to the ship. With a weak blue shimmer, the burn on his own hand disappears and he does the same for Chrak.

Spoiler
    Show
    The burnt drunkard should full HP after getting healed by Fayd's aura and Adalias' font.

Caine heals (2d8)[8] HP (one use of Fayd's Healing Belt). [edit: Well, talk about precision.]

Uses Cure Minor Wounds amplified by Healer's Blessing to heal Chrak and himself to full HP.

Healer's Blessing manages to make even Cure Minor Wounds very useful. Healing 5 HP with an orison is nothing to sneeze at IMO.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-04-25 at 04:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigurd plucks his dagger out of the ground and stashes it in his boot again, now that the chaos is over. On a whim, he decides to follow Cal out and look at the ship. He needed the fresh air anyway.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Uukoo rips the trident out of the rat with a satisfied grin, and heads towards the ship.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo dismissing her temporary servant, Tetelo's gaze settles on her captain for a moment as he makes his bellowing summons, and she picks up her stick and goes without a backwards glance at the Kraken's tooth. Better to be aboard, really. The captain struck her as a man of tempers.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garen returns the pouch to his satchel now that there is no immediate threat. However, the exchange between the crewman and the bartender interested him. Perhaps there was some information worth knowing...

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so time for a little RAW vs RAI. Message allows the caster to whisper messages and receive "replies". However, since they're already whispering, could i cast the spell, whisper nothing, and use their conversation as a "reply"? It's a bit wonky, but I'd figure I'd ask.

If that doesn't work, Listen: (1d20)[5]
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Oh, of course, boyo. Nothing but a flesh wound." Caine responds, clapping the boy on the shoulder. He walks with him as they leave the building, still talking. "I mean, you call that some fire breath? I once faced a dragon who had breath that was twice the size of me, you know what thats like? It burns! I could almost not nearly dodge it, but that dragon was scared he messed with me, you know what I mean? Ah, you youngins' don't know." He yelled, readjusting his sack full of booze as he followed Fayd.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal will walk towards Audr and Chrak. "Hey Cricket Cash, I need you to take the passengers on board the ship and show them their quarters. I'll be taking the new guys and put them to work. Audr, that means you're with me."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As you leave the Kraken's Tooth, a soft sea breeze blows past. The docks are filled with various workers going about their normal routines of loading and unloading cargo. Most other people have gone home for the night, including the remining drinkers and gamblers that left along with the rest of you. Eventhe bartender takes a hint and closes up shop.
    The Silver Dutchess is a bit over 10 feet away from the pier, suspended in the deep water. The powerful dhow seems to be made of fine ironwood and possesses no visible barnicles or simlar nautical stowaways. Two large sails and several smaller ones flap gently in the evening breeze.
    In front of the dutchess, facing you all, is the boat's namesake. The boats silver figurehead takes the form of a young woman looking wistfully into the distance. Some say that the woman is Corica Farred, the first and last lawful ruler of Caerin.

Aboard the dutchess
    Spoiler
    Show
    After walking or flying up the gangway, it becomes apparent that the dutchess was bigger than it first appeared. It is at least 70 feet from stern to bow and 35 feet from port to starboard at its widest point.
    A large rectangular hole is cut into the deck and covered in a grate, leading directly into the hold. The ship possesses no mizzenmast but possesses a total of seven sails, including two topsails, a fore stay sail, and the jib/flying jib. All of these sails gently blow in the breeze.
    There are a total of seven cannons visible aboard the dutchess, three on each side and one on the bow, pointing over the bowsprit (the frontmost tip). A bit of seawater covers the deck and ropes litter a good amount of space but it is fairly easy to travl about without losing balance.
    A single dinghey (small boat) rests up against the forecastle (the forward raised section of deck) on one side of the stairway dow. On the other side is a single wooden door. Another door rests against the quarterdeck, likely leading to the captain's cabin. Two alchemic life preservers rest against the quarterdeck as well. It is clear that a small life boat hangs from either side of the ship, both of which were visible when approaching the pier.
    Among the other visible workers is a female hadozee (at least you think it's femaile. Hard to tell from so far away) hanging onto the fore topmast (the very tip of the fore mast), A couple of lumbering male darfellans (twins, perhhaps, but its hard to tell), a femaile halfling who seems to be taking the comfy role of "supervising", occasionally handing a worker a neccesary tool. About dozen male humans and half-orcs also work at getting everything in order. The most suprising crew member is a very muscular... elf. Being so rare in the archipeligo, many of you may not even know what an elf is.

Noncrew + Chrak:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Chak complies and leads you to your quarters, you are led into the forecastle, which oddly enough seems to have been partitioned into a galley and brig. The brig can't be clearly seen but a sign nailed to an iron door clearly denotes it as such. To get to your rooms, however, you are forced to walk through the galley, where the chief (a kobold) is completely absorbed in his craft, zooming past you multiple times.
    Going down a short set of stairs, you fnd yourself in a narrow orlop (the lowest level of the ship, save the hold). A few wooden doors label the rooms as being divided into "men", "women", "sailors", and (oddly) "sailorettes". Inide each of the rooms are several bunkbeds with a few trunks by the door for storing personal possessions, a key upon each trunk.

Crew (Except Chrak):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone aboard the ship seems to be working rather hard, preparing to cast off. The bearded man, leaning against the side of the boat, suddenly stands at attention about a minute after the others head inside. "Captain on the deck!" announces the man as all other workers stop what they're doing to bow towards the gangway. Walking onto the ship is the shorter man with his pistol. Everyone on deck (all NPCs, anyhow) give a short bow or solute as the captain walks by. The captain stops next to the bearded man and turns to face the new recruits. "I am Captain Thompson, the captain of the fine vessel you stand on. If you have any questions or concerns, don't come to me. Tell first mate Ergin" the captain points at the bearded man, "and he might come to see me if it's important. I meant to interview you before we leave but there is no time to waste. Prove your worth on this trip if you want to stay. Ergin will be watching your progress." With that, Captain Thompson turns to adress the ship, using a loud voice that seems far more sooing than Ergin's bellowing. "We had a small betrayal, men, but the dutchess has never stopped for something so trivial. Mr. Figgen is in the brig where he belongs so I say we head to Pemrose where we can hand him over to a proper jail. Ms. Tallows, come with me to the chart room. Everyone else, as you were." The halfling follows the captain into his cabin as everyone else gets back to work.

Make profession (sailor) checks.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-29 at 04:44 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Right." It was all Audr felt she needed to add as she headed on board.

After the induction speech, her response was even more laconic: Simply a rather feral grin. Challenges such as that spoke to something deep inside her blood...

"Profession: Sailor - (1d20+10)[13]

...unfortunately, it was the same something spoken to be her earlier (and partially imagined) humbling at the hands of Cal. Which did have a rather negative effect on her focus during her initial period of work...

Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno... do I have time to take 10 or 20 on this check? Either would be better than a 3...:(
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-04-25 at 05:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

AssassinGuy

Andromalia follows Chrak onto the ship, and almost manages to get lost looking at all the different creatures she has never seen before. She catches up with the group once they reach the galley where she almost trips over the kobold cook. When she notices the sign reading "sailorettes" Andromalia stifles a laugh with her hand before she proceeds through the door labelled "women". Inside she looks around for her bow, quiver, and wand, and proceeds to the relevant bunk, where she checks everything before stowing her stuff inside one of the trunks. After she has locked it up and pocketed the key, Andromalia sits down on her bunkbed.

"Comfy," she remarks in an ironic tone.
    Last edited by Iun; 2010-04-25 at 05:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal considered the crew as friends and was surprised to hear that one of them was a traitor. He will head down to the brig to visit Figgen the first chance he gets.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-25 at 08:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius has fund it somewhat difficult to get and keep his pig under control, but once they are ushered towards the ship the swine finally seems to get its act together. He follows without a word for the moment and once he arrives at the junction he enters the room marked for Men along with his pig and finds a bunk with enough room at one end for a pig to settle down. He figured he'd discuss it with somebody in charge later on. Hell, he'd already had to keep the damned kobold away from it, so at least someone would likely report the loose pig to the first mate soon enough.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo makes her way below. For the purposes of the trip, she was something like crew, but she wouldn't want them to make the mistake of thinking she particularly wanted to stick around on board. The arrangements she'd made with the captain put her below with the passengers, and she'd agreed, figuring the accomadations would be better, maybe.
    She wanders into the room marked, "women" and sees the woman from the bar there. What had been her name? She was the one who reeked of steel. Oh well.
    "Comfy?" she remarks, taking a seat on a bunk opposite.
    "Yes, I guess so."
    She sets her walking stick across her lap. She hadn't been carrying much of a kit. A light traveler, was Tetelo.
    "So... we're sharing a room. With others, but still. Names, if that's okay? I'm Tetelo." When she speaks, her tone is even and almost laconic, but she's polite in her own way.
    "Hope it's not rude to ask, but are you... human?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

After Cal rounds up the passengers, Chrak does as he was told and leads them inside the ship. As he shows them to their quarters, he says "This is where you'll be staying for the duration of the trip. There should be room for anything you've brought with you in the trunks by the door. If you need help with something, I'm sure someone else will be more than willing to provide it. I'm not sure where those rats came from before, but you can rest assured that we plan to have the safest of voyages." Chrak pauses for any questions, but otherwise heads to gather with the crew.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

19. - Top - End - #139

AssassinGuy

"Andromalia, an' no, I'm not quite human. An' not in a favourable way, either. What reminds me..."

Andromalia jumps up from the bed again and removes her cloak and chainshirt, folds them together and puts both at the foot of her bunk.

"Much better, if that fing wozn't enchanted I wouldn' put up wiv it. Damn fing keeps shiftin' aroun'."

You can now see that Andromalia is quite a handsome young woman, dressed in simple brown leather garments. Her straight black hair is about shoulder length, framing an even face. If it weren't for her ashen complexion, deep purple eyes, and the canines which slightly protude from her lips, she would look completely human - if you don't look down to notice the hairless tail which is now swishing around behind her, enjoying the temporary freedom. The smell of burnt matches is now more discernable.
    Last edited by Iun; 2010-04-25 at 08:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo watches closely as the strange woman puts away her chain shirt, and a flicker of relief crosses her face before retreating behind her composed, politely interested exterior.
    "That is much better."
    She adjusts her sandals, thoughtfully, taking in the full picture of her new bunkmate.
    "Any special rules about you I should know? garlic, silver, salt, whatever?" Her yellow gaze shows a hint of amusement as she speaks, but her fine-boned face maintains a neutral expression otherwise.

21. - Top - End - #141

AssassinGuy

"Luv all free, why d'you... oh... Nah, 'cept for mobs wiv torches an' pitchforks there's nuffink like that."

Having finished her stretching exercises, Andromalia lies down on her bed again and faces Tetelo, her head supported by her right hand, which misses two fingers and a good portion of the palm.

"Anyfink on your end? Or are those eyes just a coincidence?"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo taps the head of the walking stick against her chin. "It's always the eyes, isn't it. They say that eyes are the windows to the soul. What does that mean if you're blind, I wonder? Just a broken window, or does it mean something else? I mean..." she pauses, frowning.
    "Um, yes. The eyes are something. My father was... a human. It can't be helped."
    The half-fey leans the stick against the bed and shifts her position to sit cross-legged.
    "You know, I noticed something. This ship is big and well-kept...but I didn't notice a stable." she giggles, the sound somewhat girlish, and at odds with her normally composed exterior.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

When gets there he will ask the guards for permission to speak to the prisoner.

If the guards let Cal inside he will speak to the prisoner. He will have his cutlass out and get close enough to Figgin so that he can preform an attack of opportunity should Figgin cast a spell.

"Why did you do it Al? More importantly, did you really think it would work? When did you become that stupid?"
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-26 at 05:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

AssassinGuy

At Tetelo's giggle Andromalia needs to grin involuntarily, showing a set of razor sharp predator's teeth, giving her a slightly eerie look for a second. Then she hears Tetelo's remark and her look changes to that of a confused girl.

"You los' me there. 'Choo need a stable for on a ship?"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Uukoo chuckles slightly at the sight of the sign that says "men", doubting that half those who will bunk with him could wrestle down a boar unless it was dead, or make a poem rhyme. But in he goes, and settles down.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malon simply fluttered after the others, finding the entire situation incredibly dull. The advance of the landbound saunter of her fellow travelers was positively glacial, and the merfolk with the odd pedigree had so much time on her hands that she resorted to leisurely aerial acrobatics in order to keep herself entertained. When, at long last, they'd made their way all the three-or-so steps to the ship, she allowed herself to sink down to the deck, half-lying down as she leaned against the gunwale, arms behind her neck. She wasn't a sailor, and it was less than amusing to watch the grunts at work, but there wasn't all that much she could do.
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo blinks once, slowly, her yellow eyes curious.
    "I lost you? Then why did you smile?"
    She shrugs.
    "Well, um. The centaur? remember? You were there when she showed up."
    She mimes the fall of hooves.
    "Clop, clop?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Adalias follows behind the others, face a mask of calm poise, as though to directly oppose her previous enthusiasm. She lets a wry smile cross her face at the sight of the galley, but it vanishes as soon as she leaves.

Inside the room to be shared amongst the other female passengers, Adalias makes a show of investigating the trunks, then shrugs pointedly. "If I had known chests were provided, I might have remembered to bring some luggage." In the enclosed area, her voice sounds even more distant than before.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Pausing only to quickly retrieve his things, Sigurd surveys the ship approvingly. He generally preferred horses over boats, but this was at least a fine specimen of the latter. Into his chest goes an impressive-looking sword, an equally-impressive bow, a shirt of fine chain mail, and several sets of clothing. The key he strings onto a necklace that he's wearing, already adorned with what looks like a fossilized tooth. "Well, let's hope we have a pleasant voyage."

30. - Top - End - #150

AssassinGuy

"Smiled, did I? 'appens then an' again."

Andromalia ***** an eyebrow at Tetelo's miming.

"Oh, righ', forgot. Ruined your joke, din' I? Wonder if the cap'n 'ired 'er. Might be interestin', 'avin' 'er aroun'."

At Adalias' entry Andromalia tenses up for a moment, but relaxes once she recognizes her.

"I remember you. The flutist from the pub. Woss you name, may I ask?"