New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Oceans of Legacy (IC)

Uukoo shakes his head after taking the second sip, hard enough for the cheeks to make a wet flapping sound.

"So. Sigurd, right?" he says once his head feels a bit more clear. "What brings a man like you on to this ship full of pups?"
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not even going to bother rolling a save against the gnome's bluff since it would take a nat 20 to succeed, heh.

Sigurd peers curiously after the gnome for a moment, shaking his head. "That's strange, what's the king of the ocean be doing on a ship like this?"

Deciding that the "king" must simply be trying to travel discreetly, Sigurd turns his attention to Uukoo. "Wandering aimlessly, for the most part. I recently found myself unemployed, but have little desire to tie myself down to a job right away. For all of my wandering, there are still far too many places that I haven't seen. I hope to change that. What of you?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo leans on deck, clearly having decided that the day's activities won't include anything else like work. She watches the sailors work, noting with a not-entirely charitable smile the centaur walking about on deck. It was just so absurd.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Andromalia takes another swig of ale before she leaves the old guys to themselves and wanders around the ship for a while. When she notices Tetelo watching Sasha at work she decides to strike up conversation.

"Looks strange, don't it? But she's doin' well. Better than me, at least."

Andromalia is still a bit green around the nose, but the alcohol has already begun to add some red to her otherwise pale complexion.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo scratches her elfin ear absently.
    "mm."
    She glances sideways at the woman.
    "I don't know why, but it feels kind of disrespectful for you to be getting seasick. Or maybe it's getting on a boat, if you get seasick. Or I guess it would be disrespectful, if the sea gave a damn about you."
    She taps the tips of her long fingers against her chin, thoughtfully.
    "So, why are you sailing on the sea, if you don't enjoy it? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me."
    Her yellow gaze meets the tiefling's purple gaze, with a bit of a curious light.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malon was relaxing on deck, almost dozing off in leisurely enjoyment of having nothing to do, when she heard a call from above - being spaced out as she was, it took a few shouts for the Hadozee's voice to get from her ears to her brain. Looking up, it took her a few more moments to notice the caller himself. Stroking a thick test of hair from her face, she gave him a curious look for a moment, then raised herself from the gunwale and began a fluttering ascent toward the jungle of sails up there among the masts. The Hadozee was another admirer, of course, but why not indulge him for a spell? Surely, she'd have plenty of nothing to do as the voyage continued. "Yes?".
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Up Above:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hadozee smiles as the mermaid rises up to meet her. "I knew that I saw you flying earlier. I just knew it. My name is Carol by the way. What's yours"

In the Men's quarters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rabbedon gives a short bow before leaving the room. He'll likely be back later, seeing as the room also serves as his quarters. The gnome is busy claiming a cot in the darkened cabin.

A few seconds later, one of the half-orcish crewmembers walks into the room and hangs a small glass capsule (no larger than an olive) from a small hook on the ceiling. The capsule in question seems to be filled with bright sunlight, giving the dark room a bit of illumination.

If you check the pouch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    the pouch contains 100 copper pieces, 75 silver pieces, 50 gold pieces, and 25 platinum pieces. Also tucked in are seven small alexandrite gems and a smaller leather pouch.
    inside the leather pouch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you find a couple vials of black vial that you recognize as poison, the sort sold by an old dark elf back on Caerin to whoever has the coin.

In the Hallway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The cloaked figure leaves the men’s cabin and heads outside as a half-orc sailor walks into the hallway carrying a couple small glass capsules (no larger than an olive) filled with what looks like bright sunlight, at last shining a bit of illumination on the drunken gathering that had been talking in the dark. As he hangs one from the ceiling, bringing most of the hallway into some form of illumination, he enters each of the cabins in turn, hangs another capsule up, and leaves. As he exits the last cabin, he at last seems to notice Caine and his stash.
    “Mind sparing a sip for a weary sailor?” the half-orc asks Caine, a smile on his face.

On the Deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everything so far has been going pretty fairly. Adalias stands by the entry to the deck as a cloaked figure pushes his way past, grumbling something angrily to himself.

Adalias:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Within the proximity of divine perception permitted you, you pierce into the cloaked figure’s soul for a brief moment. The judgement, predetermined by the celestial fonts and circles, declares this man in direct and diametric violation of your vows and ethos. A smudge has been made upon his soul, a smudge masquerading as a mark of law and righteousness. The smudge is of forgery, performed often and with no remorse.

Also, make a listen check if you want to overhear him.

The woman bearing fey blood seems to be talking to the other bearing fiendish blood over towards the stern of the boat. The doctor stands near the second-mate, who is still talking with a Halfling. A merfolk floats above, talking to a hadozee hanging from the main mast. The centaur stands by the fore mast and the one-eyed woman stands by the main mast.

Much of the busywork seems to be over for the moment, letting most of the crew relax a bit. With most of the deck at least partially illuminated by the small capsules of light, a calm environment has come over the deck and a delicious scent starts to waft out from the galley. Supper will likely come soon.

Most of the crew has joined in the Darfellans’ singing of the “Wild Blue Depths”, either singing or humming along (surreptitiously tapping his foot in time with the case of the elf). A half-orc even walks near the center of the deck and starts dancing to the melody of the song, soon joined by the particularly silent human who was standing near the fore mast with the centaur.

On a long, distant trip, the crew might have been more sober on such a night. This trip, however, was set to arrive at port the next day. A certain, dim joy fills the area as the small waves batter the side of the ship. Even the captain seems to have cracked a small smile when he speaks to a nearby crew member. The crew member certainly seems happy enough as he rushes into the galley.

For a brief moment, the world seems to be in perfect peace.

Audr:
    Spoiler
    Show
    catching a quick glimpse over the side of the ship, you spot something in the water, bobbing near the ship. The light of the glass spheres doesn’t reach that far but you swear that you can see the silhouette of a human hand bobbing up and down within the water.

Tetelo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can sense it almost before you smell it. A faint acrid odor has mixed in with the normal scents of salt and ash carrying on the sea breeze. Something isn’t quite right.

In The Hold:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The next few seconds pass by in a blaze. Cal slashes at the mother rat, creating a small hole in its flesh through which a rat is propelled, followed by a small gout of flame and stream of smoke. The merchant Darrius lifts up his hand for a brief moment before turning his head and seeing that Cal is looking in his direction, searching the hold for the missing rat through the smoke.

Darrius points his raised hand in the direction of the rat, shouting “Hey, over here.” Following the merchant’s instructions, Cal charges over and stabs downwards, trying to kill the rat, which deftly dodges aside.

Chrak, meanwhile, is left with the giant monstrosity of the mother rat. Taking out one of his crescent blades, Chrak slashes across the rat’s stomach, leaving a large tear in its flesh (though strangely not as large as he had expected). As the hole is pierce, however, a smaller rat instantly launched out of it and another crawls out after it. Another rat crawls out of the first hole as more smoke and flame pours out of the second.

After inhaling deeply (and letting loose another small gout of flame), the mother rat launches another flaming rat in Chrak’s direction, missing by mere inches and leaving itself open to counterattack as the rat lands 10 feet away from Chrak and launches a gout of flame of its own at the bug-man, another shot that is handily dodged.

Chrak:
    Spoiler
    Show
    feel free to make an attack of opportunity.

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just as the events described above come to a conclusion, a loud screeching noise can be heard, seemingly coming from beneath the ship. The boat rocks back and forth a bit, but not enough to knock anyone over.

The captain, more than a bit alarmed, quickly reaches into a pocket and draws forth a small item before throwing it onto the deck. The ship immediately stops in place, even with the night winds blowing on the sails and blowing the spheres of light on the cords from which they hang.

The singing and dancing has come to a stop now. All sound has stopped save for the low howl of the wind through the sails, the beating of waves against the hull, and distant sounds of Cook’s incessant chopping.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-29 at 05:24 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cal looks around and realizes that him and his coworker are already outnumbered and that there could be more rats coming. He calls out to Darius. "You, Darius right? Get help from the crew, tell them Cal sent you. Only get help from the crew. I'll pay you to leave the passengers out of this.
    He then changes his tactics as he moves to attack the mother rat. The longer that thing stays alive the more rats it will make.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cal will move to b8
    Attack: (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[5]
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-29 at 07:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219

AssassinGuy

"Only land aroun' 'ere is a bunch of islands, so you gotta use a ship to get anywhere el... What woz that?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Garen snaps to attention, reacting quickly to the unusual movement of the ship. Noticing he was mostly alone in his quarters, he unhooks the medallion from his neck and begins muttering into it, taking a seat on the bed. A strange magic, neither arcane nor divine, flows into the medallion, imbuning it with power.

Spoiler
    Show
    Garen uses Weapon Augmentation, Personal infusion on his doll, granting it the Vicious enchantment for 30 minutes. This takes 1 minute to perform.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

The navigators would have known about reefs on this route. Fayd chants in the Fellowship's dialect and extends his arms, filling the others with a subtle sense of courage. He walks up to the railing and breaths a fire lance along the ship's length to see what is in the water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casts Bless.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-04-29 at 06:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo stiffens, her nostrils flaring.
    "Oogh. Something's wrong. It smells..."
    "Like I'd better get away from the rail."
    Tetelo speaks a short syllable in Aquan, the equivalent of "What?", giving herself the ability to talk to animals.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Lalala.." Caine mumbles drunkenly, already on his second brew, stumbling across the deck just a little. Ignoring most of what happened around him, he grabbed onto the door of the ship and decided to go lower into it and off the deck to find that great booze he smelled earlier.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigurd doesn't say anything at all, just snaps to attention and starts looking around quickly. With as much calmness as he can muster, the warrior slips back into the men's room and retrieves his weapons from the chest there before returning to the hallway. Sparing a brief glance and a shrug for the others in the hallway, he heads for the deck.

15. - Top - End - #225

AssassinGuy

Tetelo's reaction makes Andromalia sober up immediately.

"What? I better get my stuff."

If nothing happens immediately, Andromalia returns to the women's quarters and gets all her stuff (equipping everything) before running back on deck.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, it was a female man-monkey. Not an admirer then, or at least Malon hoped so... Things could get awkward otherwise. The helf-fey came to rest on a conveniently located yard and replied, "Malon. Charmed".

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Fayd blows his breath of fire over the side of the water, a deep shade of crimson is revealed in the water, surrounding the ship. Audr stares down and sees a hand poking out from under the torrent of crimson, the attached body apparently under the ship. Beneath the ship and endless red is a dark silhouette, at least as large as the Dutchess.
    The captain calls out, "Stay calm, everyone. We've seen our share of red tides before. This doesn't mean anything. Mr. Isenhop, fetch some meat from the galley. Let's see what we're dealing with, if anything."
    Mr. Irgin stops his conversation and turns to Fayd. "Good work, lad. We may need you to keep that breath up while we figure things out., if you can." turning to the halfling, Irgin adds, "Get the lad some water, Ms. Tallows. Breathing flame don't look none too pleasant for the throat."
    As one of the humans, the halfling, and Andromaia travel inside, Sigurd rushes out, followed by a staggering Caine Jagi. Caine stumbles over to the hold and half-trips into it, sliding down the rope to the bottom.

Caine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arriving in the hold, you find it illuminated by 4 torch-like globes of light. Over on one side you see the wine caskets you were looking for. Also in the room are some stables, a second anchor, a few nets on the ground, a harpoon on one wall, and a few crates in another corner.

Arguably more important is the battle that seems to be underway. You see that the bug man, the merchant, and the recruiter are all fighting off against a small army of six more rats and a simply gigantic rat in one corner, a rat giving off gouts of flame and spurts of smoke through its apparent wounds.

Malon
    Spoiler
    Show
    "What brings you to the Silver Dutchess, Malon? Wait a moment. You didn't come to repla-" Carol stops in mid sentance, stairing down into the water as it is brightly illuminated.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-29 at 04:47 PM.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo joins the captain near the rail once more, using her fey attunement to seeing by moonlight to try and get a sense of the creature below. An animal, perhaps? One of the great dull behemoths that trawl the ocean in search of food? If it were an animal, than maybe she could bargain with it...

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do we have any idea what that noise was, then?" Sigurd asks as he takes a look around and sees nothing immediately threatening.

Sword still sheathed, but at hand if he needs it, the man carefully approaches the side of the boat and peers over at the red waters. Frowning, he closes his eyes and mutters something in an odd dialect of Draconic; a short rhyme, something about starlight and dragon fire.

Nothing happens for a moment, but finally four wispy globes of light flicker into view in front of Sigurd. Still peering over the side, he directs the lights - or seems to, at any rate - over the side, until they dance a few inches above the water. They lazily drift around, perhaps trying to illuminate what lies below or even goad a reaction out of it. After a moment, they drop below the surface without a splash and continue their exploration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Dancing Lights.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

"Hrrmph. I may not be the world's best sailor, but I know this isn't supposed to happen." says Uukoo, looses his trident on his back, and sets out after Sigurd.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Darrius

He nods quickly and rushes to get out of the hold and on deck with as much haste as he can muster, caring little for any bites or flames from the rats that might be headed his way.

Spoiler
    Show
    AC is 18 because he doesn't have his shield. 13 Touch 16 FF (18 when Uncanny Dodge applies).

There is a rope out of the hold, aye? So Climb check? (1d20+3)[17] as I doubt I can Take 10 while being attacked by flaming rats.

If I can get n deck in a single round and have actions left I'd like to locate the nearest sailor (In order of preference: a PC crewman, an NPC with rank, first mate, nobody sailor, captain, MASS PANIC!) and try to quietly alert them of the situation. ie something along the lines of there being a growing flaming rat swarm below.

If I'm on fire b the time I get up there the Mass Panic thing may start without me even trying. XD
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2010-04-30 at 02:04 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing an opening as the enormous rat belches another spawn, Chrak attacks it viciously. No sooner than Darrius is out of the hold than the Thri-Kreen has drawn his other blade, slashing again at the broodmother.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions -

Attack of Opportunity:
    (1d20+5)[1](6)

Damage of Opportunity:
    (2d8+18)[5][6](29)

Move action to draw the other Crescent Sword, which provokes an AoO. Standard attack action.

Attack Roll:
    (1d20+6)[10](16)

Damage Roll:
    (2d8+7)[2][5](14)
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I wouldn't know", Malon responded in a low voice, somewhat distraught as she turned her attention down toward the sea. Tsch, it looked like she'd have to start earning her keep sooner than expected. Oh, well - no point in getting ahead of herself; she'd wait for the captain's orders. "But I'm not here to fill a permanent position".

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Sasha, keeping her footing when the ship stops looks around, and over the side, wondering what a red tide is she trusts the captain though to get everyone out of this. Quickly following any orders given to her as best she can she tries to make herself useful.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On Deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the crew, some people may notice, don't seem as utterly horrified by the situation as would be wise. As most of these people are clustered near Fayd, however, it may just be the effects of whatever spell he's cast.
    The human, Mr. Isenhop, runs out of the galley with a large slab of meat as Ms. Tallows (the halfling) emerges with a jug of water. Surprisingly, the two of them are followed by the orchish passenger. Isenhop hands the meat over to Captain Thompson before the captain turns to Audr, "Tell that second mate of mine to get my harpoon out here. It should be down in the hold with him. It doesn't hurt to be safe." turning to Sasha, he reaches into a pocket with his free hand and pull out a key before tossing it to her. "Wake up Mr. Figgen in the brig. See if he is prepped to end some magic prematurely. We might need to get moving at a moment's notice."

As the halfling offers the jug of water to Fayd, Sigurd reveals himself to have some magic at his disposal, creating lights that sink into water. although this puts the silhouette into deeper relief, it's still hard to say what it is.

Tetelo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although the detail isn't great, the outlines of a few nets and sails informs you that the silhouette is that of a sunken ship, not any animal in particular

Adalias:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You heard the forger mumble something along the lines of "stupidfavritsunalwaysgetsabestaevryting. Iltrackdownwhoeversujestedmakinmedagodforsakenerra ndboyancarvoffhis..."

In the Hold:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cal finally slashes the rat and Chrak, blinded by the streams of smoke leaking from the mother rate, makes another failed attempt to slice yet another hole into her. Another two small rats climb out of the mother's wounds as she spits out yet another, this one going in a long arch before landing between the two of you. The small rats scurry around as they lash out with gouts of flame.

Two rats hit Chrak, singing his carapace a bit (take 3 fire damage) and three hit Cal from various angles (take 8 fire damage). Chrak may make an attack of opportunity against either the mother rat or one of the small ones and Cal can make a attack of opportunity against one of the small ones.

Amidst the chaos, Caine Jagi descents into the hold, climbing most of the way down before letting go of the rope and falling the rest of the way. Darrius, meanwhile, slowly makes his way to the rope, ducking between a few gouts of fire on the way, and climbs up the rope, ending up but 5 feet below deck.

Down Below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Andromalia finally arrives back at her cabin to find that the door is slightly ajar. Soft noises are coming from the men's cabin but all else is silent.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2010-04-30 at 02:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye aye, sir." Fayd keeps breathing fire over the water and algae, trying to illuminate as big of an area as possible in combination with the small magical lights. He doesn't really need to breath out for his breath weapon and is barely affected by his flames, but still gladly accepts the water. "Thank you," he says to Ms. Tallows and quickly takes the jug and drinks from it.

27. - Top - End - #237

AssassinGuy

Andromalia continues to her chest and unlocks it. After removing her stuff she leaves the key in the lock, quickly dons her armor, and equips everything else before returning above deck.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Being light on his feet, Cal will jump and spin past the rats hoping to avoid their teeth. He notices Caine as he moves. "Oh good, anther passenger! And hes drunk to! Just what we needed!"
    Cal's tone becomes more serious as turns around to stab the rat he just went past. "Old man, go find more crew members and get help."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cal will tumble move to D5, then swing at the rat at d4. That will require two tumble checks right?
    Attack:(1d20+9)[28]
    Damage:(1d6+4)[8]
    Tumble 1: (1d20+10)[29]
    Tumble 2: (1d20+10)[26]
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-04-30 at 04:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Tetelo frowns, her yellow eyes picking up details that trouble her.
    "It's a ship," she murmurs to the captain. "Sunk under."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Shrugging quietly to herself, Audr moved back from the railings and headed for the hold.

...Which seemed to be experiencing a LOT more activity than she'd anticipated... Recognising the sound of battle even before she found the people fighting, she quickly had her sword (as the more useful of her weapons in any small-scale melee) drawn and advanced quickly towards the noise...

Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm allowed to slot in on the next turn, Audr will be approaching the closest small rat and whackin' it!

[roll="Attack Roll (PA-3)"]1d20+5[/roll]
    [roll="Damage Roll (PA-3)"]2d6+10[/roll]

Edit: ...what went wrong with those?

Attack/Damage Rolls

Crit confirmation roll

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by whoiam; 2010-04-30 at 07:56 AM.