New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Noble Death

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Noble Death

This is truly awesome. (nodnodnod)
    Can I quote your line from the end of the story? With 'No. Paladin.'?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    This is truly awesome. (nodnodnod)
    Can I quote your line from the end of the story? With 'No. Paladin.'?
    Go ahead :) Glad you enjoyed it.
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks! ^_^
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

That was Epic!
    After almost dying this way, I think it would be better to die a peaceful death in the end, instead of a heroic one. You know, if you die saving everybody it would either make this one you told us fade or the opposite (the event of your death will be forgotten because of this other).
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. This is just spectacular.
    Awesome.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Atwas, I added you to my buddy list.

7. - Top - End - #37

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Atwas, I added you to my buddy list.
    What more could a paladin hope for?

(We have buddy lists on here? woah...)
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

8. - Top - End - #38

This is a great story (which I just re-read).

Also this :
    Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    So I stayed inside and I played the goddamn paladin.
    is another awesome quote.

Congratulations for showing the world how a paladin is supposed to be.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Awesome!
    You, sir, are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Now THAT is how a Paladin is meant to be played. Kudos to you, good sir. May Heironeous bless you and your journey!
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2010-05-20 at 12:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

That's awesome!
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I too hold a special place in my heart for Paladins and I am very moved by your Paladin's actions, you do credit to all who call themselves Paladins.

On a semi-related note may I sig your "No, Paladin." quote as well?

13. - Top - End - #43

Hats off to the noble player!
    Enjoy my creations
    Gatsu, from Berserk (Kentaro Miura's)
    A hero: the Tekkaman space-knight.
    The villain he has to face: Dobrai, Valdaster Overlord from Tekkaman

Threadwinner of Vs Mage challenges.
    Warning: may perform below standards if target has no heat signature (eg: undead mage)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I haven't played a paladin since just a few years after they were printed. About 24 years ago. Probably because I'm a lazy role player. My paladin was similar but of noble birth and bearing, so grated a little on the other characters but was a jovial and generally likeable fellow when he wasn't moaning about sleeping on the ground. My RP laziness has taken hold since then and I usually play the stoic or mildly grumpy types - closer to my personality.
    3.5e D&D / Pathfinder / WoT player and DM. Played AD&D from a pre-print copy of the PHB, DMG and MM that was "Not For Release" obtained by a friend whose father worked for TSR.... Yeah, I'm kinda old.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

I really enjoyed your story. Dieing while showing off an act of kindness still sounds better than it actually is, tough. Continuing to serve your god and living on is always better, because in the end you're still just an paladin.
    It's what they do.
    Before your next chance of dieing an honorable death the paladin should probably discreetly start talking about heros and their great memorials with his party member's. Probably they will get the hint. Just in case...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

What was the int score of the paladin?
    Did he realize that he put all of his party in grave danger, by not removing the only guy who could destroy their prison out of harms way the first. If he were to drop - every single of them would have died in the sphere.

17. - Top - End - #47

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by jpreem View Post
    Did he realize that he put all of his party in grave danger, by not removing the only guy who could destroy their prison out of harms way the first. If he were to drop - every single of them would have died in the sphere.
    But if he hasn't been in there, who would have thrown the fighter out?

Ed: And what 5th level Paladin can't reliably pass a DC 16 Fort save?
    Last edited by Cogidubnus; 2010-06-05 at 04:33 AM.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Heroics consist of 50% willingness for self sacrifice and 50% stupidness.

19. - Top - End - #49

Awesome... Just awesome... Also nice to see such great roleplayers...
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Ed: And what 5th level Paladin can't reliably pass a DC 16 Fort save?
    1. If you have to do enough of them, you'll fail eventually. As demonstrated by the fact that:
    2. he rolled a natural 1.

21. - Top - End - #51

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm42 View Post
    I too hold a special place in my heart for Paladins and I am very moved by your Paladin's actions, you do credit to all who call themselves Paladins.

On a semi-related note may I sig your "No, Paladin." quote as well?
    Of course, and thank you for the flattery ;)

Fairly above average, as it allowed him to make the following conclusions:

1 - Of those in the sphere, he had the highest fort save by a long shot thanks to stats and multiclassing, meaning he was the most reliable method of getting people out of there. I had to roll a 3 or lower to fail my save.

2 - Checking with my DM, I was told that someone on the inside would need to throw the characters out and by the time I started cracking the shell, we were already close to losing people. Knowing that I was most likely the one to survive, I stayed inside in case things went sour. All it would have taken with no one inside is one extra round of unconsciousness for a death. And that risk was unacceptable.

Was it the smartest course for the survival of individuals...no. Was it the only way to guarantee saving the entire group? Yes. Heroism and pragmatism are not mutually exclusive, but often must be.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

...Finding this thread made my day. This sort of thing is what I think RPGs are all about, and I hope that someday I can be with a party like that and have something like that happen in my group.

Also, I may now have to play a paladin
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

wow...i usually play the evil mastermind or the self-serving war profiteer, but this actually makes me want to play a paladin

touche
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior

24. - Top - End - #54

Reading this thread reminded me of why I love paladins. It also prompted me to link to your story in my sig as a reflex. Err... Can I have your permission to do so? I'll remove it if you'd prefer, but I figure it's the type of thing that should be spread.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

This is just pure awesomesauce. You have made me want to give playing a paladin a try (I usually play rogues )

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: A Noble Death

You're one of the few I've seen who actually played the paladin as a paladin should be played. I'll be expecting more of this.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

To the OP – epic story – great ‘sacrifice’ – don’t feel bad about being saved. You’ve got all the kudos in that party – and sounds like the GM was just trying to keep her party happy – one expects the player to be a little upset – but if the whole group is freaking out I would do anything to let them save the guy.

I wish I played with guys like you that actually think - what would my 'Character Do?'

-----

Could I threadjack this with my own humble story of when DnD / Roleplaying goes ‘right’?

I was playing a Dwarven DragonShaman – Grogmir - Lawful Good – usual party – another was playing a ‘doppelganger’ type – basically could shapeshift. Don't remember the exact race. He’s got a pack of cards that he plays with (deck of many things) (Cheese I know but not my campaign)

Anyroad – we are under orders from the local Nature spirit to clear out some evil bears from a cave up a mountain.

We climb up to the entrance – all fail our spot checks and get bull rushed by the biggest dire bear you’ve ever seen, the 1st PC– our meat shield gets pushed off easily. Next in line is the doppelganger – there’s nothing he can do – so he throws a card…

DM rolls in plain sight - Bam – Great big freakin Demon appears – kills the bear instantly but its way out of our CR. That TPK look starts going round the group.

‘Lets get the hell out of here’ is the general consensus. We blast open the portal that the Nature Spirit gave us to travel back to her, when the DM starts cackling/laughing (never a good sign) He reads the Demon’s powers – constricts portals. Give us a break!

So the portal is now only the size of a tiny person. Who’s the only PC that could get through now? Yep the Doppel that summoned the demon in the first place!

The rest are cursing his name and watching that little movie that plays when your life is flashing before your guys – we can’t even touch this thing – so on my turn

Me ‘I jump across a large ravine – turn and eh… mock the demon’
    DM ‘Mock it?’
    Me ‘ Yeah you know – mother is a beardless whore - From a pit of flames? More like a flaming PIT! – that kinda stuff’ ‘ I want it to attack me’
    DM ‘Ok it’s angry – its coming for you.’
    Me ‘it has to make a jump check right?
    DM ‘yep’
    The whole Group finally seeing what I’m trying starts ‘Please roll a 1, please roll a 1’

Dm rolls… Bounce; Bounce; one!!! It’s only a (insert word) one! The demon falls long enough for the portal to un-constrict and we all jump through.

We appear 2 miles away – with the Doppel looking sheepish but we’ve got bigger fish to fry. We hear a mighty roar in the distance – the earth shakes and we see the tree’s near the cave start toppling as the Demon tracks us down for the kill.

At this point the group is discussing ways to get as far away as possible – most likely in different directions just to give us some more time. We are running out of time – out of options when I announce

Me ‘I walked towards it’
    Another PC ‘YOU’RE GOING TO FIGHT IT?’
    Me ‘Yep and I’ll probably die’

I would love to tell you I fell fighting that Demon – but alas the DM had ruled the fall had injured it – had toned it down to a very hard level encounter (We didn’t know this at the time) and with a little luck and a lot of healing we managed to take it down.

But for a while there I had never felt so badass, to quote every ones favourite villain.

Thanks for reading – and sorry again for the threadjack.

Happy Rollin’

P.S the poor guy died fighting nondescript orcs in the next session – some deaths just arn’t epic I guess.

28. - Top - End - #58

PaladinGuy

Good stories always make me happy!

For those of you asking about sigging the story or whatever...yeah. Blanket permission. Sig it, quote it, what have you. I never expected so many people to like it, I just wanted to tell a satisfying story!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grogmir View Post
    (epic story)
    Haha. Awesome.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

My Paladin is a warforged i'd do the exact thing you did, i wouldn't drown though.