New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    How did you manage 22 form points?
    This is kinda circumstantial, my DM adapted the class to a botched version of pathfinder/3.5 in which anything not in pathfinder we may take from 3.5 with DM permission. I am a human giving me +2 Cha and a feat, a faustian pact giving me 2 feats (normally you would be 1 point away from getting 2 feats but the rules of pacts say players with an alignment other than LE can get a bonus for damning themselves and securing hell another body, also Cha helps give you a better chance to convince a devil to give you a better deal), 2 flaws = 2 feats, not spending my 2 traits (pathfinder version of traits) = 2 more feats. I am venerable giving me +3 Cha, I did point buy to get a 18 cha, I take the farspawn feat (the first one) 4 times, and then take aberrant blood and choose the tail option deepspawn, starspawn, darkspawn, and conservative form. Now lets see 3 points from levels, 9 points from possessing aberrant feats, 40 points provided by having those feats, and 6 points from Cha, that is a total of 58 but the max for regular 3.5 it is 37. I guess I was off on my calculations but I bet you could get more if you tried.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2011-10-21 at 01:47 AM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

2. - Top - End - #722

A 1st level optimized ozodrin has massive spot/search checks for the level, is hard to kill if you take durable form, and can manage an okay 2-tentacle attack form while having an okay AC. Plus an area fear effect and +reflex. Surviving 1st level should be easier than it is for a number of PC classes.

Also, aberrant feats are really strong at 1st level. Most pcs will not bother with them since we are all feat starved and aberrant feats require you to take the blood feat first. Having a class that rewards you heavily for taking all these awesome feats is a boon for the early level PC, and when combined with the other general powers we already risk a non-optimizing player just stumbling into a lot of power compared to non-op party members.

Also, giving the Ozodrin even more level 1 powers will scare away mid-op DMs. I think giving the Ozodrin more lower-level powers in general would be a bad move.

-------------------------

On another note, Hollow Spike doesn't work if you are immune to poison. Could we fix this?

--------------------------

Yet another note: What kind of action is it to use devour when I grapple someone? If I use a move action to ram my budding tentacle into an opponent's square and grapple him, how many of my 7 mouths in that square can attempt to devour him? All of them? None of them?

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post

-------------------------

On another note, Hollow Spike doesn't work if you are immune to poison. Could we fix this?
    Hmm, she's right on this one. Could we just change it to "When you are exposed to a disease or poison,..." instead of "When you make an initial save against a disease or poison..."?
    Though as written now, even the poison/disease immune can use fillable spikes to get their poisoning/plaguespreading on.

Yet another note: What kind of action is it to use devour when I grapple someone? If I use a move action to ram my budding tentacle into an opponent's square and grapple him, how many of my 7 mouths in that square can attempt to devour him? All of them? None of them?
    Read the little more closely. Its a nonaction that activates under certain contingencies, similar to an attack of opportunity (costs no actions, activates when someone moves out of your square without withdrawing) or a sneak attack (nonaction that activates when you strike an opponent you flank).In this case, its a nonaction you can choose to use when you successfully grapple someone, gain control of a grapple, or when someone fails an attempt to escape from your grapple. Also,if you read second-to-last and last sentence of paragraph 2, then it specifies about using many mouths to grapple. You can use as many as you want, but they can't devour one enemy and bite another with the same mouth, and you treat each one as a separate devour attempt. Using multiple mouths would make it very hard for a victim to escape, since they would have to make a check against each mouth individually.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2011-10-28 at 06:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #724

In addition to the hollow spike issue, Devour doesn't do anything to living opponents that are immune to con damage. This has come up for me. :(

Could the bite damage effect work on anything that is immune to con damage rather than just things without a con score?

5. - Top - End - #725

Give spikes an implant ability like the Slads or Spider Eater.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2011-11-30 at 06:11 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

6. - Top - End - #726

```````````
    WIP
    To Add:
    Clean up poison, disease, ect.
    Rework, clean and modularize breath weapons.
    Add Enchanted augment to cocoon, and create a list of ones that may be used with breath
    Add Exhalation (as gray glutton) for an alternate to breath weaponry
    Armor that can shift with your worldly guise, as a druid may have armor with wildshape
    "Burning" FP to grant FP 1/day uses
    Hogtie ability, as Justicar (CW)

Organ: These features add minor abilities to the ozodrin.
    -Adrenal Gland: Rage-like bonus to strength/con and temp hp, suffer from fatigue for equal rounds afterwards
    -Cerebral Wiring: Extend your mental abilities by extending it through the body.
    -Spinneret: Produce web or silk, as a rope, in a line, as Web spell or as an aura effect around the ozodrin as Assassin Vine's Entangle effect or Ettercap's web.

Spoiler
    Show

Notable Abilities:

---=

---=

---=

Flame Web (Ex) Inferno spiders can throw a burning web eight times per day. This is timilar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 100', with a range increment of 20', and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the inferno spider. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. Each round, at the end of the inferno spider's turn, an entangled creature takes 2d6 points of fire damage.
    An entangled creature can escape the web with a successful DC21 Escape Artist check or burst it with a DC25 Str check. The check DCs are con based and the str check dc includes a +4 racial bonus. The web has 12 hit points and hardness 5. If any part of the flame wev takes 5 or more points of cold damage the flame is extinguished and the web becomes cold and brittle, reducing the difficulty of the eacape artist check to dc16 and the str check to dc20.

---=

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals can sense the unnatural presence of a caller in darkness. Any animal within 30 feet must make a DC 17 Will save or become panicked until it is no longer within 30 feet of the caller in darkness. A panicked creature that is cornered begins cowering. The save DC is Charisma-based.

---=

Steal Essence (Su): Any living, intelligent creature slain by a caller in darkness’s touch attack is mentally absorbed into the monster’s consciousness. (The physical body of the victim remains intact). Stealing a victim’s essence is a free action; it grants the caller 12 temporary hit points, and a permanent new screaming face appears within its cloud.

A caller in darkness can also steal the essence of living, intelligent creatures within 30 feet that are paralyzed or sleeping, or that are helpless due to having a mental ability score reduced to 0 (often by the caller’s ego whip attack). Doing so is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The victim dies, and the caller gains 12 temporary hit points.

---=

Null Psionic Exhalation (Su) As a free action, a gray glutton can breathe forth a cloud of pale blue translucent gas into an adjacent 10-foot cube. The gas is psionically poisonous; the initial damage is 1d4 power points, and the secondary damage is 3d4 power points (Fortitude DC 18 negates). Affected psionic characters and creatures subtract the lost power points from their reserves.

The save DC is Constitution-based.

Once a gray glutton has used its exhalation, it must wait 4 rounds before it can exhale again.

---=

XXXX Acclimated (Ex)

Ozodrins have a +2 bonus on saving throws against all XXXX spells and effects and -2 penalty on saving throws against XXOppositeXX spells and effects.

---=

Immunity to Psionics (Ex): Psion-killers completely resist psionic effects that are subject to power resistance.

---=

Dispel Psionics (Su): A psion-killer can use dispel psionics as a free action once per round. The effect is as an area dispel in a 30-foot-radius burst. The dispel check is 1d20+10.

---=

Host Protection (Ex): A puppeteer in control of a host is treated as an attended magic item for the purpose of making saving throws, even if the puppeteer is specifically targeted. A puppeteer that is attached to its host is treated as a creature in a grapple for the purpose of striking at the puppeteer instead of the host (but the host is not considered grappled in turn).

---=

Telepathy (Su): A puppeteer can communicate telepathically with any creature within 20 feet that has a language.

---=

Enthrall (Ex): If a puppeteer is in physical contact with a person it has charmed (the puppeteer establishes a physical hold by means of slender infiltrating tendrils), the subject acts as if dominated. (Puppeteers often seek to charm victims first and then “ask” to be picked up.) So long as the puppeteer remains in contact with the victim, the domination remains in effect, even if a check would normally indicate that the effect is broken.

---=

Mind-Consuming Gaze (Su): Instantly kill (by draining the mind away), range 30 feet, Fortitude DC 19 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based. This is considered a mind-affecting death effect. If a thought slayer’s gaze is met indirectly (such as through a mirror or a reflection in water), the opponent does not die on a failed save but instead is dazed for 14 rounds. This otherwise is a gaze effect.

The gaze cannot affect creatures on the Material Plane while the thought slayer remains ethereal, but it can affect ethereal creatures while the thought slayer is on the Material Plane.

---=

Hide Mind (Su): A brain mole cannot be identified as psionic by divination spells or clairsentience powers.

---=

Slime (Ex): A blow from an aboleth’s tentacle can cause a terrible affliction. A creature hit by a tentacle must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or begin to transform over the next 1d4+1 minutes, the skin gradually becoming a clear, slimy membrane. An afflicted creature must remain moistened with cool, fresh water or take 1d12 points of damage every 10 minutes. The slime reduces the creature’s natural armor bonus by 1 (but never to less than 0). The save DC is Constitution-based.

A remove disease spell cast before the transformation is complete will restore an afflicted creature to normal. Afterward, however, only a heal or mass heal spell can reverse the affliction.

---=

Mucus Cloud (Ex): An aboleth underwater surrounds itself with a viscous cloud of mucus roughly 1 foot thick. Any creature coming into contact with and inhaling this substance must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or lose the ability to breathe air for the next 3 hours. An affected creature suffocates in 2d6 minutes if removed from the water. Renewed contact with the mucus cloud and failing another Fortitude save continues the effect for another 3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.

---=

Body Thief (Su): When an intellect devourer overcomes a lone victim, it consumes the victim’s brain and enters the skull. As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the devourer can merge its form with that of a helpless or dead creature of Small size or larger. The devourer cannot merge its body with that of a creature immune to extra damage from critical hits.

When an intellect devourer completes its merging, it psionically consumes the brain of the victim (which kills it if it is not already dead). The devourer can exit the body at any time as a standard action, bursting the victim’s skull and resuming its normal form.

After consuming its victim’s brain, an intellect devourer can instead choose to animate the body for up to seven days as if it were the victim’s original brain. The devourer retains its hit points, saving throws, and mental ability scores, as well as its psi-like abilities. It assumes the physical qualities and ability scores of the victim, as if it had used polymorph to assume the victim’s form. As long as the intellect devourer occupies the body, it knows the languages spoken by the victim and very basic information about the victim’s identity and personality, but none of the victim’s specific memories or knowledge.

---=

Moan (Ex): A cloaker can emit a dangerous subsonic moan as a standard action. By changing the frequency, the cloaker can cause one of four effects. Cloakers are immune to these sonic, mindaffecting attacks. Unless otherwise specified, a creature that successfully saves against one of these effects cannot be affected by the same moan effect from the same cloaker for 24 hours. All save DCs for moan effects are Charisma-based.

Unnerve: Anyone within a 60-foot spread automatically takes a –2 penalty on attack and damage rolls. Those forced to hear the moan for more than 6 consecutive rounds must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or enter a trance, unable to attack or defend themselves until the moaning stops.

Fear: Anyone within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or become panicked for 2 rounds.

Nausea: Anyone in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be overcome by nausea and weakness.

Affected characters fall prone and become nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.

Stupor: A single creature within 30 feet of the cloaker must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a hold monster spell for 5 rounds. Even after a successful save, the creature must repeat the save if the cloaker uses this effect again.

---=

Guarded Thoughts (Ex): Dark nagas are immune to any form of mind reading.

---=

Corrosive Slime (Ex): A delver produces a mucuslike slime that contains a highly corrosive substance. The slime is particularly effective against stone. A delver’s mere touch deals 2d6 points of acid damage to organic creatures or objects. Against metallic creatures or objects, a delver’s slime deals 4d8 points of damage, and against stony creatures (including earth elementals) or objects it deals 8d10 points of damage. A slam attack by a delver leaves a patch of slime that deals 2d6 points of damage on contact and another 2d6 points of damage in each of the next 2 rounds. A large quantity (at least a quart) of water or weak acid, such as vinegar, washes off the slime. An opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless the wearer succeeds on a DC 22 Reflex save. Weapons that strike a delver also dissolve immediately unless the wielder succeeds on a DC 22 Reflex save. A creature attacking a delver with natural weapons takes damage from its slime each time an attack hits unless the creature succeeds on a DC 22 Reflex save. These save DCs are Constitution-based.

---=

Destructive Harmonics (Su): A destrachan can blast sonic energy in a cone up to 80 feet long. It can also use this attack to affect any creatures or objects within a 30-foot radius. It can tune the harmonics of this destructive power to affect different types of targets. All save DCs are Charisma-based.

Flesh: Disrupting tissue and rending bone, this attack deals 4d6 points of damage to all within the area (Reflex DC 15 half ).

Nerves: A destrachan can focus its harmonics to knock out foes rather than slay them. This attack deals 6d6 points of nonlethal damage to all within the area (Reflex DC 15 half ).

Material: When using this form of harmonics, a destrachan chooses wood, stone, metal, or glass. All objects made of that material within the area must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or shatter. Objects (or portions of objects) that have up to 30 hit points are potentially affected by this attack.

---=

Repletion (Su): By expending 1 power point, an elan does not need to eat or drink for 24 hours.

---=

Ethereal Jaunt (Su): An ethereal filcher can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as part of any move action, and shift back again as a free action. It can remain on the Ethereal Plane for 1 round before returning to the Material Plane. The ability is otherwise identical with the ethereal jaunt spell (caster level 15th).

---=

Web (Ex): An ettercap can throw a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets of up to Medium size. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement.

An entangled creature can escape with a DC 13 Escape Artist check or burst the web with a DC 17 Strength check. The check DCs are Constitution-based, and the Strength check DC includes a +4 racial bonus. The web has 6 hit points, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire.

Ettercaps can also create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square. They usually position these to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web, or they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing receive a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot-square section has 6 hit points, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire.

An ettercap can move across its own sheet web at its climb speed and can determine the exact location of any creature touching the web.

---=

Gibbering (Su): As soon as a mouther spots something edible, it begins a constant gibbering as a free action. All creatures (other than mouthers) within a 60-foot spread must succeed on a DC 13 Will save or be affected as though by a confusion spell for 1d2 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting compulsion effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected by the same gibbering mouther’s gibbering for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

---=

Spittle (Ex): As a free action every round, a gibbering mouther fires a stream of spittle at one opponent within 30 feet. The mouther makes a ranged touch attack; if it hits, it deals 1d4 points of acid damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Eyeless creatures are immune to the blinding effect, but are still subject to the acid damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

---=

Engulf (Ex): A gibbering mouther can try to engulf a Medium or smaller opponent grabbed by three or more mouths.

The opponent must succeed on a DC 14 Reflex save or fall and be engulfed. In the next round, the mouther makes twelve bite attacks instead of six (each with a +4 attack bonus). An engulfed creature cannot attack the mouther from within. The previously attached mouths are now free to attack others. The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

---=

Ground Manipulation (Su): At will, as a standard action, a gibbering mouther can cause stone and earth in all adjacent squares to become a morass akin to quicksand. Softening earth, sand, or the like takes 1 round, while stone takes 2 rounds. Anyone other than the mouther in that area must take a move-equivalent action to avoid becoming mired (treat as being pinned).

---=

Flight (Ex): The gibbering orb’s body is naturally buoyant. This buoyancy allows it to fly as the spell, as a free action, at a speed of 20 feet. This buoyancy also grants it a permanent feather fall effect with personal range.

---=

Chameleon Ability (Ex): Ha-nagas can blend in with their surroundings, giving them a +8 circumstance bonus on Hide checks.

---=

Adhesive (Ex): A mimic exudes a thick slime that acts as a powerful adhesive, holding fast any creatures or items that touch it. An adhesive-covered mimic automatically grapples any creature it hits with its slam attack. Opponents so grappled cannot get free while the mimic is alive without removing the adhesive first.

A weapon that strikes an adhesive-coated mimic is stuck fast unless the wielder succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. A successful DC 16 Strength check is needed to pry it off.

Strong alcohol dissolves the adhesive, but the mimic still can grapple normally. A mimic can dissolve its adhesive at will, and the substance breaks down 5 rounds after the creature dies.

---=

Mimic Shape (Ex): A mimic can assume the general shape of any object that fills roughly 150 cubic feet (5 feet by 5 feet by 6 feet), such as a massive chest, a stout bed, or a wide door frame. The creature cannot substantially alter its size, though. A mimic’s body is hard and has a rough texture, no matter what appearance it might present. Anyone who examines the mimic can detect the ruse with a successful Spot check opposed by the mimic’s Disguise check. Of course, by this time it is generally far too late.

---=

Rust (Ex): A rust monster that makes a successful touch attack with its antennae causes the target metal to corrode, falling to pieces and becoming useless immediately. The touch can destroy up to a 10-foot cube of metal instantly. Magic armor and weapons, and other magic items made of metal, must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be dissolved. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons are unaffected.

---=

Time Filch (Su): If a temporal filcher successfully grapples a Large or smaller creature, it latches onto the opponent’s body and shifts 7 minutes forward in time as a free action. Observers (if any) see the temporal filcher and its prey disappear in a shimmer, then reappear 7 minutes later in exactly the orientation and condition they left. For the filcher and its prey, no time passes at all. The victim must succeed on a Will save (DC 16) or be dazed for 1 round from temporal disorientation. The ability is otherwise identical to time hop manifested by an 8th-level manifester.

---=

Cocoon (Ex): A thorciasid can eject a stream of noxious goo that hardens on contact, potentially fixing a subject in place and hindering its movement and actions. Using a standard action, the thorciasid makes a ranged touch attack against any foe it can see up to 60 feet away. If it succeeds at the ranged touch attack, the subject makes a grapple check against the cocoon. This is accomplished as if the thorciasid itself were making the grapple check with a competence bonus of +10, for a total check modifier of +37. On a failed check for the subject, the goo hardens into a partial cocoon, and the victim is treated as if grappled (even though the thorciasid is free to do as it desires). The subject can attempt to break the grapple of the cocoon (or use Escape Artist) each round, making an opposed grapple check against the cocoon (check modifier +37 for the cocoon). A thorciasid can reinforce a partial cocoon by spending a standard action secreting additional goo. Each action so spent provides an additional +5 to the cocoon’s grapple check modifier. Visually, the victim becomes more and more covered and is finally com-pletely encased in a cocoon. Even fully encased victims can still breathe, and a thorciasid can drain a victim’s life force at its leisure.

---=

Aura of Doom (Su): A vermiurge is constantly affected as if by a crown of vermin spell (epic spell) cast by a 42nd-level caster. As per the spell, a vermiurge may completely suppress the aura of insects as desired. A vermiurge’s aura of doom constantly replenishes itself at a rate of 200 vermin per round (unlimited duration). When vermin die off either by being slain or by dealing Damage to another creature, the aura does not permanently collapse, even if all the vermin are slain or if all 1,000 vermin deal their Damage in 1 round. As soon as any vermin are replenished, they participate normally in the crown of vermin effect.

---=

Concealing Aura (Ex): Its aura of doom constantly provides a vermiurge with nine-tenths concealment, so all attacks made against it have a 40% miss chance.

---=

Frightful Presence (Su): This ability takes effect automatically when the vermiurge first engages its aura of doom. It affects only opponents with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the creature has. The affected creature must make a successful Will save (DC 48) or become shaken. Success indicates that the target is immune to that creature’s frightful presence for one day. The save DC is Charisma-based.

---=

Natural Invisibility (Ex): A startled or frightened will-o’-wisp can extinguish its glow, effectively becoming invisible as the spell.

---=

Engulf (Ex): A worm that walks can choose to engulf an opponent who is no more than one size category larger than itself. The worm attempts to embrace its victim, and with a successful melee touch attack, the victim is immediately swallowed up and surrounded by a mass of vermin, taking 100 points of damage. A victim who spends a full-round action can break free of the embrace and move up to half its speed away from the worm if desired, but can do nothing else. Otherwise, each round a victim remains embraced, it takes another 100 points of Damage. Constructs are immune to this attack.

---=

Frightful Presence (Su): When a worm that walks engulfs a victim, witnesses must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the worm’s HD + the worm’s Cha modifier). Those who make the save are shaken. Those who fail by 5 or fewer points are frightened. Those who fail by 6 to10 points are panicked. Those who fail by 11 or more points are cowering. All these conditions last for 1d4 rounds. Those who have seen a worm use this attack before gain a +5 bonus on their saving throws. The victim of the worm’s engulf attack has a –5 penalty on his or her saving throw.

---=

Discorporate (Ex): If gravely threatened, a worm can discorporate as a free action, simply falling into a pile of individual vermin that slither quickly away. So long as any of the component vermin survive, they can breed and create a new body to house the wizard’s intelligence and personality. Discorporating is a dangerous tactic, because once separated, the vermin are treated no differently than other vermin. Also, the worm stands a good chance of losing all its equipment. However, discorporation almost assures that at least one maggot (if not dozens) will manage to crawl away, and so provide for the worm’s continued existence.

---=

Trill (Su): A frost worm can emit a noise that forces its prey to stand motionless. This sonic mind-affecting compulsion affects all creatures other than frost worms within a 100-foot radius. Creatures must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or be stunned for as long as the worm trills and for 1d4 rounds thereafter, even if they are attacked. However, if attacked or violently shaken (a full-round action), a victim is allowed another saving throw. Once a creature has resisted or broken the effect, it cannot be affected again by that same frost worm’s trill for 24 hours. The effect’s caster level is 14th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

---=

Death Throes (Ex): When killed, a frost worm turns to ice and shatters in an explosion that deals 12d6 points of cold damage and 8d6 points of piercing damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex half DC 22). The save DC is Constitution-based.

---=

Cold (Ex): A frost worm’s body generates intense cold, causing opponents to take an extra 1d8 points of cold damage every time the creature succeeds on a bite attack. Creatures attacking a frost worm unarmed or with natural weapons take this same cold damage each time one of their attacks hits.

---=

Blinding Beauty (Su): This ability affects all humanoids within 30 feet of a nymph. Those who look directly at a nymph must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be blinded permanently as though by the blindness spell. A nymph can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

The save DC is Charisma-based.

---=

Fear Aura (Su): A pit fiend can radiate a 20-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a DC 27 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 18th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same pit fiend’s aura for 24 hours. Other devils are immune to the aura. The save DC is Charisma-based.

---=

Melt Weapons (Ex): Any metal weapon that strikes a magmin must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or melt away into slag. The save DC is Constitution-based.

---=

Fear Aura (Su): As a free action, a meenlock can produce a fear effect in a 30' radius burst, centered on itself. Any creature within the area that fails a Will save (DC 14) becomes catatonic from fear for 1d4+4 rounds. During this time, it rolls into a ball, hugs its knees, or simply stands in place, shivering and staring. Any creature that makes a saving throw against the effect cannot be affected again by the meenlock's fear aura for 24 hours.

---=

Hypnosis (Su): Any creature passing within 20 feet of the entrance to a morkoth’s lair must make a successful Will saving throw (DC 14) or be hypnotized. A hypnotized creature moves unerringly through the maze at its usual speed. Once in centre of the lair, the affected creature floats quietly in a trance, waiting to be devoured at the morkoth’s leisure. A hypnotized creature is helpless against the morkoth’s attacks but may attempt a new saving throw at the same DC each round that the morkoth attacks it. A morkoth can hypnotize any number of creatures at one time. When it is outside its lair, this ability has a range of 20 feet. Hypnosis is a mind-affecting compulsion effect.

---=

Fungus men fight by clubbing with their hands.

Spore Cloud (Ex): Each spore cloud’s effect resembles a spell cast by an 8th-level sorcerer. All spore clouds have a save DC of 14 (where applicable). Each may be used once per day per HD of the myconid.

Pacifier: (4 HD myconids)—Line, 40 feet, target is affected as if by a calm animals spell (even if the target is not one of the types the spell actually affects) Will save DC of 14 . The affected creatures remain where they are and do not attack or flee. They are not helpless and defend themselves normally if attacked. Any threat breaks the spell on the threatened creatures.

Unlike the actual spell effects, a creature affected, will not defend himself if attacked; Fortitude DC 14 save negates.

Hallucinator: (5 HD myconids)—Line, 40 feet, causes confusion as the spell of the same name; Will save DC of 14 negates.

01-10 Attack caster with melee or ranged weapons (or close with caster if attack is not possible).
    11-20 Act normally.
    21-50 Do nothing but babble incoherently.
    51-70 Flee away from caster at top possible speed.
    71-100 Attack nearest creature (for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the subject’s self

---=
    ---=
    ---=

```````````

New Augments (WiP)
    Spoiler
    Show

Basic Eye Augments:

Critical Eye: Additional Cost 4
    Requires Level 5 and Perceptive Eye:
    Your critical range improves by 1, this effect does not stack.

Studious Eye: Additional Cost 3
    Requires level 5 and Perceptive Eye:
    You may study your prey for up to 3 rounds, on the 3rd round you may make a 1d6 sudden strike attack against a foe susceptible to critical hits

Discerning Eye: Additional Cost 2
    Requires Perceptive Eye:
    Gain +1 to will saves again illusions, a +1 to search/appraisal checks and a +1 against disguise checks.

Intuitive Eye: Additional Cost 5
    Requires Level 8:
    You may add your Wisdom modifier to your ranged attack rolls, to a maximum of +1 per Tracking Eye augment.

Tracking Eye: Additional Cost 2
    Requires Perceptive Eye:
    Gain +1 to survival checks to track, +1 to sense motive and +1 to knowledge anatomy or heal to diagnose conditions or current health of creatures susceptible to critical hits.

Probing Eye: Additional Cost 4
    Requires Insightful Eye, Level 11:
    You may spend a full round studying unattended immobile matter and you may see through 2" of it per probing eye augment, metal costs twice as much distance to see through.

Basic Spike Augments:
    Shaped Spike: Additional Cost ?
    Requires Throwing Spike and level?:
    Instead of a spike, you may attempt to grow an object in similar dimensions to the spike or in the likeness of filling as best you can the long cylindrical shape of the spike (Eg. Screwdriver, Piton, Socketwrench, Bar, Staw, Tube)
    This tool is made out of bone and can be immediately discerned from regular materials, it does not retain it's natural weapon qualities nor any other augments other than aesthetic and dimension purposes.

New Features (WiP):

I've come up with a Cocoon feature, which I haven't got a balance for but I'm hoping you'll have some insight. Here's a rough draft:

Spoiler
    Show

Cocoon: Cost - #?
    Appearance: Cocoons may appear similar to any organic container, they can be added to (or inside) any location another feature can be added.
    Required Level: #?
    Benefits: You gain a Cocoon proportionate to your size. Cocoons added to a limb or tentacle add a slam attack that deals 1d6 + strength modifier for a medium Cocoon.
    Special: As a swift action you may swap the Cocoon feature for another feature of equal or smaller size.
    You may only swap a feature which could be added to the Cocoons location, and swapping still subtracts the same amount of build points from your reserve.
    In addition, you may use your Cocoon defensively, instead of having a slam attack you may block with it, absorbing 5HP+Con (and +5HP for every size larger than medium it is) before the Cocoon is too damaged to use it's swap ability. Critical hits which have damage absorbed by a cocoon automatically disable it's swap feature, this is effected by Strange Anatomy. Cocoons that lose their swap feature in this way cost double for Rapid Form.

Augments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small Cocoon: Additional cost -#
    Cocoon counts as a size category smaller. You may add this multiple times to the same cocoon to a minimum cocoon size of fine. The effects stack. This may not reduce the cost of the cocoon to less than #?.

Large Cocoon: Additional cost #?
    Cocoon counts as a size category larger. This does not increase it's reach. You may add this multiple times to the same cocoon. The effects stack.

Covering Cocoon: Additional cost #?
    This cocoon encompasses your main body and any number of features, granting them full cover for as long as the cocoon has a remaining absorption pool, any attack or spell targets the cocoon instead. You may use the swap ability to destroy this cocoon as normal, until then everything not contained in the cocoon is considered having full cover from anything within the cocoon.

Porous Cocoon: Additional cost #?
    This cocoon has small holes in it, even when a cocoon is closed or a contained feature is within features at least one size smaller than the cocoon may interact outside the cocoon without losing it's protective benefits. Porous cocoons that use clouds center the clouds on the ozodrin as a radial spread rather than it's regular means.

Thorax: Additional cost #?
    Requires:Large Cocoon
    Cocoon is instead a body segment on the rear, it acts as a second torso in terms of adding features. This cocoon may occupy the square behind you as if you were Long in terms of movement and positioning, even if you are Tall.

Bulbous Cocoon: Additional cost x1.5
    Bulbous cocoons may add one additional feature when swapped. This effect stacks.

Containing Cocoon: Additional cost #?
    A containing cocoon modifies the Cocoons swap ability.
    Instead of destroying it the Cocoon stays intact in an "open" form. An opened Cocoon loses it's defensive ability and it's slam attack but retains it's other augments. You may then close it again to use the Cocoon's slam or defensive abilities but disable your contained feature's abilities. Opening or closing the pod requires a swift or move action.
    You may choose to disable the Cocoon's closed slam attack to enable a single tentacle with no features on it to interact as normal even if the pod is closed.

Leathery Pod: Additional cost #?
    Your Cocoon gains an additional 5hp to it's absorption pool. This effect stacks.

Chitinous Pod: Additional cost #?
    Your cocoon pool gains DR1 to slashing, piercing and bludgeoning to a maximum of 5. This effect stacks.

Gas Pod: Additional cost #?
    Required Level: 11
    Cacoons with the Gas Pod augment grant a DC10 + 1/2 Ozodrin Level + Con Modifier breath weapon in a 5' cone for a tiny Cocoon and 5' more for every two sizes larger the Cocoon is. Each Cocoon may only have one Gas Pod augment. A cacoon's breath weapon cannot effect creatures more than 2 sizes larger than it.
    Deadly Gas: Additional cost #? Add +1 die of damage or +1 secondary ability damage or +1 to the damage or the duration of the Cocoon's breath weapon.
    Chambering: Additional cost 2
    Add +1 storage capacity for poison, disease, drug or alchemical doses.
    Any voluntary or succeeded inhale or contact poison grants a stored dose until you rebuild without the feature or expend the dose.
    Virulent System: Additional cost 2
    Your poisonous features and your dosage storage systems are connected, in addition once per round you may use your rapid form ability to alter the delivery method of any one poison dose stored.

A gas pod grants one of the following breath weapons:

Clouds
    (Clouding breath weapons fill the cone as long as the caccon stays in the same square, the breath cuts off when you move and the cloud dissipates. These clouds produce temporary effects that debuff an area, dealing ability damage as normal and applying conditions. Each round those exposed to the cloud are allowed to make a save to recover from the effect even if they failed their original save)

Acid Cloud - Reflex - 1d2 Rounds - 1d6 + Cha Acid Damage/Round
    Stinking Cloud - Fort - 1d2 Rounds - As stinking cloud.
    Nerve Gas - Fort(-5DC) - 1d3 Rounds 1 Dex Damage, Paralyze
    Cloudkill - Fort(-4DC) - 1 round - As cloudkill.
    Extinguishing - Harmless - 1d3 rounds Extinguishes flame
    Pluric Gas - Fort(-5DC) - 1d3 rounds, Sleep, Silence
    Toxic Fuel - Fort(-5DC) - 1d6 rounds, Sicken, 1d6 + Cha Fire damage when exposed to ignition which immediately ends the cloud.

Poison
    (Absorbed - Fort - If you succeed a save against a contact or inhaled poison (including the filtration of filtering flesh), or are currently storing a poison dose within a feature you may turn it into a contact or inhaled breath weapon. If you do not have a containing feature of augment for it you may only use this feature in place of another poison breath weapon from the gas pod until the start of your next turn.)

Debilitating - Fort - -2 Attacks/Saves
    Weakening - Fort - 2 Str Damage Primary/Secondary
    Paralytic - Fort - 2 Dex Damage Primary/Secondary
    Mindnumbing - Fort - 2 Int Damage Primary/Secondary
    Hullicinogenic - Fort - 2 Wis Damage Primary/Secondary
    Disfiguring - Fort - 2 Cha Damage Primary/Secondary
    Knockout - Fort - Unconsciousness (-4 DC)
    Iboga - Fort Save - Confusion 1d4+Cha rounds

Disease
    (You can choose when creating the Gas Pod augment to modify how you want diseases to spread, you can create racial, gender, or exclusive immunities who automatically succeed their saves.)

Blood Virus - Fort - Incubation 5 Rounds - #? Wis
    -You spray a fine mist of blood into the air, those that fail their saves contract Blood Virus, a deadly disease which attacks the brain, lungs and eyes causing them to bleed.
    Ozodrin's Curse - Fort - Incubation 1d4 Days - None
    -You Release an invisible gas that slowly turns others into an Ozodrin. (Purely flavor, DM's may use this for horror campaigns.)

Drug
    You may turn a drug into a single use breath weapon.

Iron Pod: Additional cost #?
    Required Level: 12
    Your Cocoon grants +1 damage to it's slam attack and grants +1 shield AC when used defensively.

Spawn Cocoon: Additional cost #?
    Required Level: 18
    Spawn Cocoons by default contain the Spawn feature with the limitation that they cannot absorb spawn.
    Unlike the spawn feature, the Ozodrin using a Spawn Cocoon does not have to dedicate their health loss nor their max HP reduction at the time of the spawn, they may lose any number of health or any number of maximum HP loss as a free action until the requirements for the spawn are met.
    Spawn Cocoons may "store" spawn within their Cocoon (1 Small per Medium Cocoon, 4 Small per Large Cocoon, ect.) Normal spawning rules apply, a spawn must have it's damage and maximum HP reduction requirements met and a standard action spent to spawn it, but as a free action or if the Spawn Cocoon is destroyed the finished Spawns can be released in an adjacent square to the Cocoon.
    A Cocoon with spawn in it may be swapped out, this automatically destroys the cocoon releasing the spawn in an adjacent square to the Cocoon and replacing the Cocoon with another feature.

Spawn Implant: Additional cost #?
    Required Level: 18
    Requires: Fillable Spike
    You may make one touch attack 1/hour against an abberation, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid or vermin within two size categories of your torso size.

A successful touch attack detaches the spike and cocoon into the creature's body giving them the Gut Spawn disease, you lose the FP associated with that spike until your spawn implant augment recharges. This touch attack made against an unconscious, pinned or helpless foe need not leave any injury.

Gut Spawn - DC 10 + 1/2 Class Level Fort Save - Injury - 1d8 days
    This disease mildly anesthetizes th victim, disabling their ability to recognize the implantation. A detached Spawn Implant may extend it's incubation period by up to 3 times. This incubation has two phases, once the base variable of the incubation time is reached the anesthetic effect cannot disguise the implant and may make a DC22 spot check 1/hour when not distracted to notice it.

As a standard action an implant that has finished it's incubation may spend a full round action to create an ozodrin Spawn with FP equal to the ozodrin's level or the victim's HD or the total FP of the initial detached features and augments, whichever is lowest. Once a the implant has spawned the host receives a -10 penalty to all attributes (to a minimum of 1) and the spawn may attempt to make a DC15 strength check to break through the victim's ribcage dealing equal damage to the spawn's total FP reserve +1d8 for a medium spawn.

Optionally, you may change the time of Gut Spawn to 100+2d20 days when implanting, this creates a level 0 Ozodrin who cannot make use of their class features beyond that of what a regular spawn could, including their worldly guise. This Ozodrin matures to that of a child within 1d6 months at which they gain their first level in ozodrin and assume a worldly guise.

You may remove an implant along with Gut Spawn with a DC 5+Implanter's Level heal check or a remove disease spell. Unsuccessful heal checks deal 1d4 slashing damage per failed check.

The cacoon grants the following:
    • Slam Attack (That can appear to look like a tentacle or limb slam.)
    • Shield
    • FP -> Temporary HP
    • Utilizes Reserve FP as a swift action, giving incentive for modest builds
    • Grants more in-combat versatility
    • Breath weapon
    • More flavor options

Useful Enchantments:
    Spoiler
    Show

(+1) Forgetful (DR316 p43): On Crit - Fort DC20 or 1 Hour Memory Loss

(+1) Last Resort (CWar p135): When grappled, you do not have the standard -4 to attack. Gain +1D6 for every size category the grappler is larger than you.

(+1) Magebane (CArc p143) +2 Attack +2d6 to arcane casters/arcane spell like ability users.

(+1) Merciful (DMG p225) +1D6, Converts damage to nonlethal

(+1) Silent Strike (DR330 p67) On hit - DC15 Will Silences 4 rounds, additional hits resets count

(+1) Stealer (DR315 p46) +4 Disarm, Weapon sticks to disarmed object as a free action

(+1) Waterborn (Eb p266) No underwater fighting penalty, if you are on land and they are in water they lose their granted concealment, if you are both underwater you gain +2 to attack and damage rolls

(+2) Domineering (PGF p119) On hit - Will DC16 or Shaken

(+2) Explosive (CWar p134) On hit - Ref 1/2 DC15 5' Splash 2d4, Splash hits self

(+2) Paralyzing (BoED p113) On hit- Will DC17 or Held, new save per round, auto-end 10 rounds

(+2) Phasing (DR330 p67) Can ignore a single object of up to 5’ thick. The ammo ignores Cover, a Shield, or Armor (in that order and only one).

(+3) Clouting (CArc p143) On hit - Fort DC19 or [Trig another FortDC19 or Stun] Knockback 10' (Knocked prone if no space)

(+3) Explosive (Ranged) (CWar p134) Ref1/2 DC15 2d4 5' Splash

(+3) Spireshard (DR315 p46) On hit - Will DC19 or disable spellcasting and spell-like abilities for 1d4 rounds, additional hits do not reset count or stack

(+3) Stalactite (Und p69) On hit - Fort DC19 Turn to Stone

(+3) Superior Dispelling (DR312 p87) - Standard - Caster Level = ECL 5' radius Dispel Magic

(+4) Brilliant Energy (DMG p224) Passes through non-living matter, so Armor and Armor Enhancement AC bonuses don’t count against this weapon. Cannot harm Undead, Constructs, & Objects-- 20' Light radius

(+4) Dancing (DMG p224) Weapon/Feature can be "loosed" and continues to fight in the same square you occupy each round for 4 rounds using it's owners BAB

(+4) Tentacle (Und p69) On crit - Fort DC21 or brain extracted

A homebrew table for sundering bodyparts within grapples for some additional flavor and crunch:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...32&postcount=1
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2011-12-10 at 10:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, after about a month of being rather busy, I've got reasonable amounts of free time again. So, let's see what came up.

In addition to the hollow spike issue, Devour doesn't do anything to living opponents that are immune to con damage. This has come up for me. :(

Could the bite damage effect work on anything that is immune to con damage rather than just things without a con score?
    I'll see about fixing both those problems, likely over this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Orpheus View Post
    Give spikes an implant ability like the Slads or Spider Eater.
    Unfortunately such an ability wouldn't really fit well within the class as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    ```````````
    WIP
    Well, this is a bit confusing, but from what I can tell, the first spoiler is list of abilities your keeping note of for later use, while the last is just enchantments useful for adding to features.

As for the new augments, some of those look like they would make good additions, though possibly with minor edits.

For the cocoons, I'd first note at one point you mention build points, though i think you intended to say form points. As it is, it looks like an interesting if rather complex idea. Due to the amount there, I can't give a full critique of it at the moment (I'll try to look over it more in depth later), but it seems like it might be interesting on the whole. I would note though that I don't know that there is really a place for it in the normal ozodrin class. I might instead suggest making it part of a PRC or something similar, that forgoes a few ozodrin abilities to add that feature and some other thematic abilities, or has some form of other penalties to it.
    Possibly a feat or alternate class feature would work for gaining it as well.

Given how interesting it looks it might be once finished up, it would be a shame for it to be without a way to be gained.

As for the sunder thing, I've not had time to look over that, and when I do any replies on it shall likely be made within its thread. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #728

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper

Speaking from experience, this only becomes an issue when a plan goes wrong, otherwise if you're asking how to approach zero con enemies pre-encounter, I'd suggest defaulting back to your beatstick build in terms of dealing damage, but I have to point out that the Ozodrin is pretty solidly a mixed utility slinger as well as a single target mitigation specialist, so while you may not deal con damage, you can still disable opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Unfortunately such an ability wouldn't really fit well within the class as it is.
    I have to agree but only on the point that as the rules I attempted to scribble down for being able to do this came together, any way that I looked at it came out both awkward and something was missing...

What was missing is that an ozodrin isn't recorded as a monster and has no fixed stats which is what the implantation feature does, now if you wanted to play it SC1 queen style you could throw in a parasite similar to cyst magic, but otherwise the three best options I can see to approach that are:
    A) Creating a new monster entry, then after a fixed gestation the creature is destroyed spawning a fixed scaling HD monster.
    B) Using the pseudonatural creature template that replaces the creature after a fixed gestation.
    C) Using a puppeteer, this allows a more Stargate SG1 or "creepy town" type flavoring, and allows the ozodrin NPCs to range all the way from false gods to the farm hand's faithful o-dog-rin to create interesting yet troublesome plothooks. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/mo.../puppeteer.htm

Well, this is a bit confusing, but from what I can tell, the first spoiler is list of abilities your keeping note of for later use, while the last is just enchantments useful for adding to features.
    It's general feedback accumulated into a post, I've edited it on at least 10 separate occasions.

As for the new augments, some of those look like they would make good additions, though possibly with minor edits.
    Of course, nothing is cleaned or balanced at this point, I leave it humbly =]

For the cocoons...
    The main concept of the cocoon was to develop a way to have quicker and less painful switching between features, especially being able to do things like intimidate while switching, but because of the amount of things that normally could work while switching features and don't the solution was to allow a switch rather than making the rest of the things exception-passive.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper
    Given how interesting it looks it might be once finished up, it would be a shame for it to be without a way to be gained.

As for the sunder thing, I've not had time to look over that, and when I do any replies on it shall likely be made within its thread. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Owrtho
    For the ozodrin specifically I'm not sure how well the current actions would work as devourer might stack with sunder per round, and for larger creatures that might be as high as 10 con/round, as for the SoD the ozodrin does an outstanding debuff job on that end so it'll take some thought on if a fort debuff specialist should have a fort SoD as part of their utility. As for the rest of the features, I think pulling a meal apart as you eat it provides a lot of flavor that is otherwise put in the closet in DnD.

Thank you kindly, I'll be sorting through the above notes and streamlining the content and flavor into easier to tackle points.

`
    `
    `
    What is an Ozodrin? This is something yet to be fully explored!
    DnD is a game of archetypes, but with such a customizable, morphing and dynamic class, what could it be?
    Because this is homebrew, it is both it's core content and it's expansion, while published content does not group it's standard and expansive features there's no need to separate them, and one of the main things expanded content makes use of is inspiration based on what the main class 'could' be, prestige classes while in abundance are mainly used to grant special abilities that would otherwise not be available to the class-- not a problem with the ozodrin as it's utility is capped at it's FP.
    However the INTENDED use of the PrC's are to inspire more flavor adaption which almost never accepted by experienced players for the simple fact that you can play the vanilla classes to these flavors without having the PrCs.

Solution: Creating inspiration articles, galleries and suggested reading of archetypes for the ozodrin.
    Off the top of my head, the best and most true archetype I can think of, is The Thing (1982) [Link 1, Relevant Scene], of course on just my character alone I think there's at least 5 sources I draw from including personal flavor. These things do very much help bring different ways this character can be used into light, and with a class that's nearly a template this means a lot of versatility, options and inspiration.
    Sure, I grapple them, now what?
    Addressing the con damage comment earlier, a lot of the time winning a grapple check means you crunch them, but perhaps you don't want to?
    Enter the Hog-Tie, an interesting Justicar ability from Complete Warrior-- this allows you to physically bind a pinned opponent, capturing them.
    So, how does a purely organic being "bind" another creature?
    Solution: Spiders do this by producing threads from a gland called the Spinneret, giving an ozodrin a spinneret allows not only the production of spiderman-esque biodegradable rope, but allows you to simply capture creatures without utterly destroying them.
    The justicar's ability is super quick, if a slower ability is needed, perhaps entangling the foe each round with a stacking penalty to the pinned creature's dex while in the webbing and a higher break/escape artist DC the more webbing is put on, to a scaling maximum. This would produce a slower more "omg I'm being webbed up" terror feel, limiting the amount of creatures the ozodrin can intercept and mitigate per encounter.
    Three suggestions to add more "spread" to your debuffing:
    -Breath Weapon or Exhalation effect, this is mostly to put gas into the air whether this be invisible or visible it adds airborne biological defenses to the mix.
    -Sound, many monsters in DnD use sound based AoE attacks, in a replacement of an intimidate attack you can initiate an encounter with a trill, shriek or roar that adds versatility instead of the standard demoralize effect.
    -AoE bursts releases effects that stay in effect for a few rounds such as a massive growth of vines and plantlife from the area, entangling liquid or webbing. Alternatively, releases of clouds that could both obscure or debuff. Either way, this could represent having a "swarm" like effect coming from the ozodrin, scaling from a viral gas cloud to a swarm of thin disposable tentacles rapidly flailing around.
    After a quick scan, you'll notice the class turns FP into passive divinitation spells and active use targeted debuff enchantment spells, but Detect Thoughts, Suggestion, True Seeing, Any Scrying, Prying Eyes, ect. are not included, and that's just Spells and just from RAW srd, are these on purpose?
    Additional Augments
    -Eyes that enable perception-based combat bonuses
    -Eyes that grant more information utility
    -Features that turn into items, Spikes turn into bone tools, Web turns into rope, other instances could be that eyes could be detached and exist on a surface with 1HP/HD, linked through a longer version of Stange Movement, you taking 1/5th the HP in damage when you go out of range and/or it dies naturally. Optionally, you could have a shapesand augment to be able to multitool your limbs as you could bud your tentacle.
    What items are available to the ozodrin?
    None specifically, nor are many fitting for the natural horror.
    How I've personally circumvented this is that by consuming a magic item you gain it's essence, it fills an item slot and cannot be sold.
    In addition, you may consume other items than those in slot, which can be donned as normal without having to prompt it physically.
    In exchange for the inability to sell the items, they require no weight to carry as long as any one item is not over your medium load.
    ---
    Magic items source their effects directly from the ozodrin in this case.
    If this rule could be adapted into the ozodrin's main ruleset it would allow opening for items like Horned Helm to be conserved back into FP (8,000g=3FP conserved, but costs 6 to otherwise make horns), and possibly the augmentation of magic-generated natural attacks.
    Some other spins to this would be somewhere along the lines of only being able to conserve magic item granted natural attacks into the base feature they grant such as wing into fin, horn into spike, tail into tentacle, ect.
    ---
    FP Bursts- Either from a PrC wilder-like ozodrin (Aberrant Surge) or from items. Higher grade items could cause ability damage or SAN damage in a sort of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde way, this FP gain would allow non-ozodrin to use ozodrin powers at the cost of their SAN and possibly other tasty effects like confusion and insanity conditions (possibly named aberrant rage), which would be especially tasty in campaigns that do not have ozodrins-- in which case the DM would be in control of the granted effects rather than having a player figure out ozodrin rules-- and of course in the case of Mr Hyde the transformation would require a high will save to resist.
    ---
    Magic items that specifically work with Ozodrin's powers, starting with base items that provide natural attacks also providing augments as greater versions, items that specifically provide augments (especially to limbs, eyes and mouthes as 99% of PCs have these) without needing an ozodrin feature.
    ---
    Items that grant Missing Strings to features? I don't see a way before epic level to open rifts and poke through them with tentacles which considering the archetype I would assume would come standard unless the ability is broken-- so is it? I think being able to devourer through a rift is pretty powerful yeah so I can see why missing strings is at level 15, but perhaps a more conservative version at lower level? 7-13? If not, a relic could be created with a huge range for this to make dungeons have interesting little pop-ups with an ozodrin dungeonboss.
    The Ozodrin has a huge amount of Shaken debuff, but very little if not no Sicken or Nauseated, is this on purpose? It seems kind of odd to me that the Ozodrin would be slinging electrical spit but not sickening spit. (Unless of course this "spit" is just a word for releasing lightning bolts from your mouth, as I assumed it was alchemical liquid.)

Now that I look at the features more closely I see that it has a breath weapon (Spraying Mouth) but does not use breath weapon rules, I put that in the cocoon feature not realizing it existed.

Why not use the option of a traditional breath weapon style burst so people can add breath weapon augmentation from other sources?
    "Spotting" a weak point!
    The skill trick:
    Spot the Weak Point
    Spot 12 ranks
    Make your next attack a touch attack

An eye augment could replace this skill trick?

Minor Fix:
    Absent Fin: Additional cost 2
    Requires level 16. You do not actually have a fin. As such you can not attack with it. Despite this you are able to move as if you did. A fin with this augment may not be used to attack. While moving with it, you inspire fear in creatures watching your unnatural movement. They must make a will save (DC 10 + Charisma modifier + 1 per fin with this feature being used) or become shaken for 1 round. If they fail, each round they see you climbing they must try again until they pass.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2011-12-12 at 11:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #729

My comment wasn't about the con damage. Devour has a different effect on no-con enemies. So right now, devour hurts a human, hurts a zombie, but has absolutely no effect on a human using an item to gain undead immunities. I felt that was not the intent of the ability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ozodrin is a very versatile class as it is, giving it even more strong abilities risks overpowering it. As for magic items, Ozodrin are like casters in that they don't really need items to function. They can spend all of their wealth on defensive and general utility items and be fine.

On a random note, Ozodrin are capable of generating insane swim speeds. I'm not sure this is an issue, but it is interesting to note.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

On a random note, Ozodrin are capable of generating insane swim speeds. I'm not sure this is an issue, but it is interesting to note.
    Meh, if you completely focus on anything as an ozodrin, you can get something insanely large. The only problem is, then their isn't enough FP to be good at other things.

11. - Top - End - #731

The Ozodrin is a very versatile class as it is, giving it even more strong abilities risks overpowering it. As for magic items, Ozodrin are like casters in that they don't really need items to function. They can spend all of their wealth on defensive and general utility items and be fine.

Ability strength is not really much of an issue, the most powerful abilities right now are enchanted X as it allows the ozodrin to one-shot enemies with armor spikes quite effectively, but testing has shown the FP boosting abilities (ones that grant several FP) are incredibly potent in their ability to raise your character's all around competence.

Something I want to bring up is the ability to swallow creatures into your stomach... once this is accomplished there's a very small chance the opponent will survive-- in fact this is possibly one of the strongest battlefield control abilities I've seen and may need some tweaks to even function within a low-power campaign.

-

In terms of swim speeds, sailfish can go bout 60-70mph which is 528'-616'/round swim speed and even mid level ozodrins have trouble breaking half of that without extra feats, and come close to that with feats at about level 10-15.

-

I realized that the Ozodrin is a pretty big setup to become a cult figurehead and works perfectly with it's high cha, it's diplomancy and it's level 19 idol-based abilities... but I do see a surprising lack of included or recommended flavorings to be able to use it as an NPC whether it be a wanderer, a trusted contact, a monster or a dark god.

12. - Top - End - #732

How do temporary boosts to Charisma figure in to FP? Do they add temporary FP ala HP boosts from boosted CON or do they function as something akin to spells and temporary boosts to the casting stat?

13. - Top - End - #733

Note: Aberrant Feats give a penalty to diplomacy equal to the number of aberrant feats you have, so most Ozodrin will not have a particularly high diplomacy score.

As for strong abilities, the issue is that we risk simply being good at too many things. I don’t think an Ozodrin PC is at any risk of not being able to meaningfully contribute in combat. We can create more abilities to let players customize themselves more, but that is what feats and PRCs are for.
    --------------------

I’ve never seen a PC sailfish. But, a more apt comparison could use necromancers and skeletal mounts. Meh, I only brought it up because it annoyed my DM. Also, if you ride a puppet you get +30ft for every 4fp you spend. If an Ozodrin takes farspawn at least once being half as fast as a sailfish isn’t very hard. I don’t think this is an issue, just putting it out there as I’m not sure it was common knowledge just how fast you can get underwater.

----------------------------

I think I agree about low level Ozodrin grappling (not swallowing specifically – you could just pin them at that point), but the current game I am playing in is way too high-powered for me to tell. I know grappling+devour is just about the only attack method that seems up to snuff in my party (after we antimagic the 500hp mooks), which suggests it would be really easy to go nuts with in a low-powered game.

14. - Top - End - #734

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon® View Post
    How do temporary boosts to Charisma figure in to FP? Do they add temporary FP ala HP boosts from boosted CON or do they function as something akin to spells and temporary boosts to the casting stat?
    As PP, but in this case you can re-use, burn, or permanently lose them.

Note: Aberrant Feats give a penalty to diplomacy equal to the number of aberrant feats you have, so most Ozodrin will not have a particularly high diplomacy score.

As for strong abilities, the issue is that we risk simply being good at too many things. I don’t think an Ozodrin PC is at any risk of not being able to meaningfully contribute in combat. We can create more abilities to let players customize themselves more, but that is what feats and PRCs are for.
    This is true, I think that allowing more abilities at the cost of burning FP is valid as it gives the ozodrin a daily resource pool similar to a caster, murmur, cerebrant, cyst, these are all valid as well. I do still think we need an ozodrin PrC or variant to be able to overload FP or allow burning it more readily.

I’ve never seen a PC sailfish. But, a more apt comparison could use necromancers and skeletal mounts. Meh, I only brought it up because it annoyed my DM. Also, if you ride a puppet you get +30ft for every 4fp you spend. If an Ozodrin takes farspawn at least once being half as fast as a sailfish isn’t very hard. I don’t think this is an issue, just putting it out there as I’m not sure it was common knowledge just how fast you can get underwater.
    Whaaaat, riding puppets sounds broken-- deserves a second look.
    As for extremely fast animals, cheetah is comparable but because PC's almost never have an underwater "overland" mode, especially one comparable to ships, almost all water combat is done on ships or at fixed locations you wouldn't imagine the speed needed. The listings in the manual aren't especially fast animals, giant squid going 80' which is pretty fast.

I think I agree about low level Ozodrin grappling (not swallowing specifically – you could just pin them at that point), but the current game I am playing in is way too high-powered for me to tell. I know grappling+devour is just about the only attack method that seems up to snuff in my party (after we antimagic the 500hp mooks), which suggests it would be really easy to go nuts with in a low-powered game.
    If I had to guess what game you're playing with 500HP dnd would be pretty far down on the list.

Let's put it this way, once a creature is in your stomach, it needs to do your CHAx10/round to break even with your automatic healing-- outer healing sources deal 10x efficiency and you mitigate the monster entirely from the outside world which leaves the allies unthreatened and fully able to apply 1point/round alchemical healing salves.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2011-12-28 at 06:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there is a bit more I need to respond to, but lacking time at the moment I figured I'd make note of this.

Let's put it this way, once a creature is in your stomach, it needs to do your CHAx10/round to break even with your automatic healing-- outer healing sources deal 10x efficiency and you mitigate the monster entirely from the outside world which leaves the allies unthreatened and fully able to apply 1point/round alchemical healing salves.
    First, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting the automatic healing from. The only thing I can think of is if you are looking at devour, which only occurs when using the devour ability, and is not triggered by swallow whole.
    Second, while healing yourself will mitigate damage you would take from your stomach walls being attacked, it does not heal the walls to help prevent escape (unless you are on the inside actually healing the walls). Thus unless something is inside you doing the healing (which is not multiplied by 10), then the only way for your stomach to be healed is for it to go 1d4 rounds without damage.
    Third, you're overlooking that the creature could just try climbing out. Also when it is doing so, the ozodrin can't apply its various feature granted grapple boosts against the creature.

Anyway, I'll try to catch up on everything since my last post sometime this week.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

16. - Top - End - #736

Woaaaah ok wait a minute.

I was under the assumption that a creature is considered "being devoured" if it is in the stomach because of the wording of digestive tract, this is negated by "mouth in the same square" where as the digestive tract is actually on a different square, but portalized to the mouth's square.
    Is the con damage from the portalization? Is it from the teeth? Perhaps an "and/or" flavortext of whatever it could mean would be helpful, something that discounts the stomach from it's flavor.

----------------------

Looking at the numbers, having a creature for it's size deal enough damage or climb well enough to break out is pretty much epic, also I should point out that the more difficult the creature is to grapple (big, strong), the easier it is to keep it in your stomach assuming lack of a massive climb.
    Seems like the fix is to make the climb relative to the stomach size, perhaps 10+Ozodrin level? I know that's kind of unrealistic to the flavor but as it stands I can't really many creatures or players below CR/level 10-15 able to escape.

----------------------

I think at some point I'll refine the gas-control augments to give ozodrins exhale and cloud, this gives idea for 2 stomach augments:

Spoiler
    Show
    Digesting Gases: Additional cost ?
    Required Level 15: You may fill 20'x20' feet of cloud in your stomach in any arrangement (as if with a area of effect spell with the Sculpt Spell feat), you may move each cloud once every 4 rounds. This augment stacks, each time giving a new 20'x20' cloud.
    Any mundane harmless cloud removes 2 form points from the cost of each cloud.
    Cloud/Exhale Table Here (Ect.)

Contracting Stomach: Additional cost X
    Required Level 15: As a standard action you may shrink your stomach to half of it's maximum size (not including other augments unless they improve the size), doing so shunts all creatures and objects into the center and are not entitled to resist this stomach change unless in contact with opposing walls at the same time. All moved creatures take a balance check of DCX or are Checked/KnockedDown/BlownAway(Thrown).
    If there is not enough space in the stomach for a complete contraction the stomach walls attempt to crush whatever is blocking the distance, this deals X bludgeoning damage to objects and creatures inside the stomach and presses them together and against the walls. Ozodrin may not be hurt by bludgeoning damage with contractions but objects with piercing or slashing damage will deal 1/4 their damage if unattended and full damage if attended, likewise weapons with piercing or slashing damage may also harm creatures inside the stomach by making a flat foot attacked with an X bonus, dealing 1/4th damage if unattended or full if attended. Likewise, ozodrin features that deal slashing or piercing damage also count as these objects and deal damage during a contraction. Spikes with the Multiple Spikes augment inside the stomach roll attacks even if there is extra room.

----------------------

Oh! Oh! Inspiration!
    Why not have specific bonuses trigger in place of devour healing?!
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2011-12-29 at 06:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Woaaaah ok wait a minute.

I was under the assumption that a creature is considered "being devoured" if it is in the stomach because of the wording of digestive tract, this is negated by "mouth in the same square" where as the digestive tract is actually on a different square, but portalized to the mouth's square.
    Is the con damage from the portalization? Is it from the teeth? Perhaps an "and/or" flavortext of whatever it could mean would be helpful, something that discounts the stomach from it's flavor.
    You devour a creature/creatures by ripping it/them to peices using your mouth (feature(s)), regardless of its/their location(s) relative to your stomach(s).

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love this class. I think IO've said it before and I am saying it again.

On a more constructive note I really like the flavor of the Cocoons. But I always think of the word 'pods' which must have been mentioned once or twice. Anyways, I love the inject spawn feature very 'Alien'. But it just reminded me of a think a fairly old alien horror movie Invasion of the Pod People.

Saying that, I think it would be awesome to have a special augment for the 'cocoon' feature by connecting two pods together and what you do is you capture a person in one pod and clone them in the second pod.

If I remember properly 'spawns' can't be disguised. I know we have the puppets/lure traps though i honestly can't remember the limitations. I guess I see this pod cloning a way to step up on both spawn and puppets. You create a copy with all the memories of the captured person(s) so it makes them long distant spies and you can always attach a sensory organ to them so you can see what they see.

Not sure if the puppet works the same way. I know there is a cord but I'm not sure if there should be a cord involved with the pod and the clone or not.

Maybe if there needs to be a difference then maybe you can't add features (kind of a let down) but you just have a long distance spy. I think there is a movement feature that lets you teleport to someone saying your name or some piece of you or a picture of you, that might be able to apply.

Edit:
    I just thinking of cretures that poison you. I know you have a filtration skin, but what if you wanted to store it. Could you create porous flesh that actually absorbs poison for later use.

Could it be possible to create more of a specific poison if you have absorbed it and had your body analyze it. I was mainly thinking of the toxins that Circle of Life's Plague Doctor's toxins. It would be an interesting gestalt imo.
    Last edited by Merchant; 2011-12-30 at 08:10 AM.

19. - Top - End - #739

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Saying that, I think it would be awesome to have a special augment for the 'cocoon' feature by connecting two pods together and what you do is you capture a person in one pod and clone them in the second pod.

If I remember properly 'spawns' can't be disguised. I know we have the puppets/lure traps though i honestly can't remember the limitations. I guess I see this pod cloning a way to step up on both spawn and puppets. You create a copy with all the memories of the captured person(s) so it makes them long distant spies and you can always attach a sensory organ to them so you can see what they see.
    I think this can be much more easily accomplished by making a spawn augment to disguise the spawn.

Not sure if the puppet works the same way. I know there is a cord but I'm not sure if there should be a cord involved with the pod and the clone or not.
    If it's a spawn it has no cord, you may also hide puppet cords using strange movement portalization.

Maybe if there needs to be a difference then maybe you can't add features (kind of a let down) but you just have a long distance spy. I think there is a movement feature that lets you teleport to someone saying your name or some piece of you or a picture of you, that might be able to apply.
    There's been a few thoughts floating around about growing stationary features, as in using your form to augment the terrain around you, I would personally like to see a lower level requirement spawn that isn't essentially a little beatstick, like eyes you can slap on walls or in corners, ect. which are maintained in connection through strange movement portals. In this way you could have a long range spy node-- but it doesn't have the versatility of "scouting ahead" clairvoyance casters have which limits it's power.

Edit:
    I just thinking of cretures that poison you. I know you have a filtration skin, but what if you wanted to store it. Could you create porous flesh that actually absorbs poison for later use.

Could it be possible to create more of a specific poison if you have absorbed it and had your body analyze it. I was mainly thinking of the toxins that Circle of Life's Plague Doctor's toxins. It would be an interesting gestalt imo.
    Fillable spike should load the poison you absorb from the air fine, unless your DM considers absorbing it from the air =/= "consume".

20. - Top - End - #740
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the new cocoon feature opens a lot of possibilities, like the Pod People example referenced earlier.

What if the Ozodrin could store creatures and/or items in the cocoon like it were a bag of holding as an augment (with an augment to fill it with breathable air of course)? Maybe if it's large enough, allow the Ozodrin to withdraw their whole body into it and use it as sort of fortress, manifesting features on the outside or inside? Too much like the stomach?

Something else you could do with it is a sort of metamorphosis augment that works like a buff- place an ally or creature inside it, and after a certain amount of time they come out with a bonus to something? Maybe let you place your features on other creatures, granting them a mutation that they can use for a temporary tenure, or have it act as a gas chamber to poison them? Though again, that might work better with the stomach.

I second the request for a way to use features to alter terrain; being able to place a tiny eye on a wall to act as a sentry/spy, hiding a tentacle somewhere to grab an enemy unawares, maybe provide a flanking buddy to your rogue teammate, etc. Might be a special augment available on most features, but fairly expensive in exchange for the versatility.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    I second the request for a way to use features to alter terrain; being able to place a tiny eye on a wall to act as a sentry/spy, hiding a tentacle somewhere to grab an enemy unawares, maybe provide a flanking buddy to your rogue teammate, etc. Might be a special augment available on most features, but fairly expensive in exchange for the versatility.
    Their is already a PRC that lets you do this, and a feat.

22. - Top - End - #742

Just thought of something, at what rate does an epic level Ozodrin gain epic bonus feats like the core classes. I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2012-01-12 at 06:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #743

I’ve been thinking about devour, as I often end up doing when explaining this class to other people, and I came to the conclusion that it really isn’t it's power level that I dislike. Its that it takes one of the most rules quagmire-y parts of the game and makes it even more complicated. It takes a page to describe and initially feels very strong even if it isn’t actually overpowered. I tend to avoid talking about devour when trying to argue that this class is totally fine to people that don’t use a lot of homebrew, but it makes the task more difficult. Also, the first few times I used devour the DM and I had long discussions on how the heck it actually worked in some of the corner cases. I think the flavor of the ability could be implemented with a much simpler mechanic.

Example:
    Spoiler
    Show

Devour(Ex): If a second level or higher Ozodrin pins an opponent, and that opponent is in the same square as at least one of the Ozodrin’s mouths, that Ozodrin may begin eating that opponent. Each round the Ozodrin maintains the pin the opponent takes a point of con damage plus an additional point of con damage per four class levels. The opponent also takes regular damage equal to twice the Ozodrin’s class level. If the opponent is killed they are completely devoured and the Ozodrin regains up to 5hp per hit die of the eaten opponent. The Ozodrin may cough up any magical or inorganic loot possessed by one or more completely eaten opponents as a standard action as long as they do so within ten minutes of eating the opponent(s). Pieces of inorganic opponents such as iron golems cannot be coughed up this way and unusually potent items, such as artifacts, might survive longer than ten minutes.

Altered Razor Teeth augment:
    Spoiler
    Show

Razor Teeth: Additional cost 6
    Required level 4: Opponents being devoured by you in the same square as this mouth take an additional point of con damage per round and 5 additional points of regular damage per round.

There. I think the above would keep the cool flavor of the ability without causing the rules coma the average reader is going to be in once they finish reading it. This ability was always the equivalent of pin+, but given how long it took my DM to notice that I think actually having the ability boost pinning instead of being an alternate form of pinning makes the connection more obvious. That would also make DMs feel better about this newfangled ability. The connection made mine feel better, at least.

What do people think about this?
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2012-01-21 at 04:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

I’ve been thinking about devour, as I often end up doing when explaining this class to other people, and I came to the conclusion that it really isn’t it's power level that I dislike. Its that it takes one of the most rules quagmire-y parts of the game and makes it even more complicated. It takes a page to describe and initially feels very strong even if it isn’t actually overpowered. I tend to avoid talking about devour when trying to argue that this class is totally fine to people that don’t use a lot of homebrew, but it makes the task more difficult. Also, the first few times I used devour the DM and I had long discussions on how the heck it actually worked in some of the corner cases. I think the flavor of the ability could be implemented with a much simpler mechanic.

Example:
    Spoiler
    Show

Devour(Ex): If a second level or higher Ozodrin pins an opponent, and that opponent is in the same square as at least one of the Ozodrin’s mouths, that Ozodrin may begin eating that opponent. Each round the Ozodrin maintains the pin the opponent takes a point of con damage plus an additional point of con damage per four class levels. The opponent also takes regular damage equal to twice the Ozodrin’s class level. If the opponent is killed they are completely devoured and the Ozodrin regains up to 5hp per hit die of the eaten opponent. The Ozodrin may cough up any magical or inorganic loot possessed by one or more completely eaten opponents as a standard action as long as they do so within ten minutes of eating the opponent(s). Pieces of inorganic opponents such as iron golems cannot be coughed up this way and unusually potent items, such as artifacts, might survive longer than ten minutes.

Altered Razor Teeth augment:
    Spoiler
    Show

Razor Teeth: Additional cost 6
    Required level 4: Opponents being devoured by you in the same square as this mouth take an additional point of con damage per round and 5 additional points of regular damage per round.

There. I think the above would keep the cool flavor of the ability without causing the rules coma the average reader is going to be in once they finish reading it. This ability was always the equivalent of pin+, but given how long it took my DM to notice that I think actually having the ability boost pinning instead of being an alternate form of pinning makes the connection more obvious. That would also make DMs feel better about this newfangled ability. The connection made mine feel better, at least.

I think it's an unnecessary change to something that's fine as is. The rules aren't that hard to understand, and take up less space than the rules for casting (as an individual ability under in the class description).

25. - Top - End - #745
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

First, this class is very cool :)

Second, I play in a higher powered game with an Ozodrin being played as one of my buddies. Now, he shines in many things, but not so much as to be a problem.
    The problem is that the first few times he used devour, it took a ridiculous time to get the DM to understand (read: the rest of the session), and that when he uses it now, his actions take longer than the mages with 9th lvl spells.

I know what you may be thinking, "Well, maybe the mages are just faster players," but let me end that: the guy plays the casters and the Ozodrin.

In the end, I am totally in favor of Magikeeper's change. It makes it very easy to understand, and doesn't give the appearance of a crazy new combat element to new onlookers.

26. - Top - End - #746

Edit: I agree with the above post about looking crazy (even if it isn't).

Class abilities that complicated are usually the primary ability of the class, or are abilities that grow over time (usually multiple, simple, thematically linked abilities the class writer didn't want to clutter up the progression chart with). Casting usually falls into one or both of the previous definitions. The Ozodrin "feature" ability fits with both of the above. Devour is neither, and it does come up when talking to people about this class :(.

That said, I have seen how someone learning the casting rules can slow the game to a crawl. The difference is
    1: "Casting", unless certain spells are involved, does not involve the grapple rules. Even then the spell grappling is often faster than regular grappling. Devour is mess that currently involves making multiple grapple attempts in the same round, and then doing a bunch of other stuff. Using the current devour takes longer than casting most spells - potentially much longer. The modified devour I posted above initially takes maybe 5-10 seconds after grappling has been determined, 20 if the DM isn't fast with con damage. After the players get used to it, no time at all.
    2: "Casting" is not homebrew, so it is less likely to take the blame for the slowness. Homebrew tends to be guilty until proven innocent in most groups I've been in.

Of course, there are some cool abilities that cannot be done with less rules text (fusion, some epic class abilities, etc). Devour isn't in that group either.
    I don't need to fill out a pile of forms in triplicate to eat a burger, and I don't need a page long ability to eat the burger meister!

I know I mention "so-and-so ability makes it hard to sell this to random DMs" a lot, but it is because this is my favorite homebrew class. By far. I really want to be able to sell this to future DMs.

Edit #2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is the the bit stating that you can't move someone you are devouring new or have I just missed that all of this time?

I would further note that a few pages ago we had a playtester argue that his/her DM felt devour was insane. He/She was also playing a high-powered Ozodrin. Basically, devour gets more complicated and powerful the more mouths and claws/tentacles you throw into the mix. Every mouth is a separate devour attempt and each attempt might have a different modifier.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2012-01-22 at 01:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #747

I've been thinking this class over...

-The feat that grants you bonus FP (something like +10) is too powerful and should have an explicit warning on it that it should not be used in low power campaigns.

-We have augments for features, similar to a psionic augment, but we have as far as I know no maximum FP on any one feature that scales with level.

Would not a scale X FP/Former Level per augment be appropriate and balancing?
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-01-22 at 10:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #748

-We have augments for features, similar to a psionic augment, but we have as far as I know no maximum FP on any one feature that scales with level.

Would not a scale X FP/Former Level per augment be appropriate and balancing?
    Not really. No one has complained about dumping a bunch of FP in a single feature in any of the playtests*. Have you had issues with this in game? Even my Ozodrin with triple digit form points doesn't have an issue with that besides the puppet-riding. And only then with swim speeds. That would also cause serious issues with some prestige classes and would mostly prevent fun but not optimized use of features. Most of my non-puppet "optimized" set ups involves dozens of features being used in tandem, not one really strong one.

Other things: An ozodrin has far fewer fp than a similarly optimized psion, augments are more expensive, few augments can be applied to the same feature multiple times anyway, different augments usually don't help the Ozodrin do the same thing, and the Ozodrin +damage augments are very inefficient until you get that one skin feature... and by then any melee class earning its share of XP should be able to do that kind of damage.

As for the bonus FP feat, although something any optimized ozodrin should take a few of, only gives 10+ fp (per feat) in games that are allowing flaws/DCS/Extra feats/high level. A lower powered campaign won't have enough feats for you to churn out that many fp.

What is your opinion on the devour discussion?
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2012-01-22 at 11:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #749

Not really. No one has complained about dumping a bunch of FP in a single feature in any of the playtests*. Have you had issues with this in game? Even my Ozodrin with triple digit form points doesn't have an issue with that besides the puppet-riding. And only then with swim speeds. That would also cause serious issues with some prestige classes and would mostly prevent fun but not optimized use of features. Most of my non-puppet "optimized" set ups involves dozens of features being used in tandem, not one really strong one.

Other things: An ozodrin has far fewer fp than a similarly optimized psion, augments are more expensive, few augments can be applied to the same feature multiple times anyway, different augments usually don't help the Ozodrin do the same thing, and the Ozodrin +damage augments are very inefficient until you get that one skin feature... and by then any melee class earning its share of XP should be able to do that kind of damage.

As for the bonus FP feat, although something any optimized ozodrin should take a few of, only gives 10+ fp (per feat) in games that are allowing flaws/DCS/Extra feats/high level. A lower powered campaign won't have enough feats for you to churn out that many fp.

What is your opinion on the devour discussion?
    I think devour it the root of this, dealing 5+ con damage at level 10... I can't think of much that does that as an individual power let alone something that can be stacked so readily with existing con damage.

Another thing is having large features, I think that the size of a feature should generally be capped at a level and garg. and col. shouldn't be possible outside the body until engorging flesh comes into play or else we hit luffy's "gear 3" at low level, essentially moving a feature through and filling up entire squares. Mechanically this seems fine but flavor and fluffwise this is just plain silly. Honestly there could be an entire sourcebook written about the ozodrin explaining all of the fluffholes in it, not that it needs it, but it would certainly help.

Having a dozen wings and having them work BETTER than two large ones, these things are equally silly. FP should be about perfection and complexity of form instead of how many of X and how big can they be.. at least put the option in that you don't actually have to have something silly to make the character balanced.

I'd also like a metabolism ACF, where changing form uses something that can be repaired by eating, as the class is fairly self-sufficient (WHAT ABOUT WARFORGED OZODRIN OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE).

I see a huge amount of chemical energy being expended (or something unexplained) but little in terms of at what cost and how to repair that-- the fluff assumes that all the use of the devour feature probably takes care of this, but it's not really set out.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2012-01-23 at 12:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, this doesn't really cover close to everything I've been meaning to catch up and reply to, but it covers some of the more recent things. Anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by UserShadow7989 View Post
    As mentioned there are already ways to accomplish this, though technically there are 2 ways with feats and 1 PRC. To be more precise, it may be done with the Menacing Manor PRC, the Corrupting Land feat, and the One's Form in Miniature feat (technically the last requires cutting of bits of you that you may then place features on and leave places, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Orpheus View Post
    Just thought of something, at what rate does an epic level Ozodrin gain epic bonus feats like the core classes. I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
    Well, I'd say it gains either none, or somewhere between none and the standard amount, as it already is gaining increases to the max feature size for increasing damage. That said, I don't know enough about epic to be sure what would be balanced there.

Not entirely sure about this change, though I'll try looking into such a rewording of devour. I would still keep the healing during the course of devouring the opponent though rather than having it all happen at the end.

Another thing is having large features, I think that the size of a feature should generally be capped at a level and garg. and col. shouldn't be possible outside the body until engorging flesh comes into play or else we hit luffy's "gear 3" at low level, essentially moving a feature through and filling up entire squares. Mechanically this seems fine but flavor and fluffwise this is just plain silly. Honestly there could be an entire sourcebook written about the ozodrin explaining all of the fluffholes in it, not that it needs it, but it would certainly help.
    I'll point out, there is somewhat of a size cap at colossal till epic. That said, the ability to grow features that should be too large for the body is intentional. It is one of the ways that ozodrin are able to screw with physics due to their growth into an eldritch horror/abomination. This warping of space to make things fit where they shouldn't is also seen in the ozodrin's stomach.

Having a dozen wings and having them work BETTER than two large ones, these things are equally silly. FP should be about perfection and complexity of form instead of how many of X and how big can they be.. at least put the option in that you don't actually have to have something silly to make the character balanced.
    Here I would note that two large wings would work just as well, provided you make the appropriately large. You may be forgetting that making fins larger causes them to count as multiple fins for the purpose of things like speed. That said, multiple small wings theoretically could work better in real life. After all, it would allow for better balance control, and act akin to the cilia where they all move in conjunction. Mind realistically that would require huge amounts of energy, but realistically that's overcomplicating things. Also, don't forget many arthropods have four or six wings. And when it comes down to it, while realistic forms are hopefully functional, trying to prevent less realistic ones in part removes some of the fun, but also would vastly overcomplicate the rules.

I'd also like a metabolism ACF, where changing form uses something that can be repaired by eating, as the class is fairly self-sufficient (WHAT ABOUT WARFORGED OZODRIN OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE).

I see a huge amount of chemical energy being expended (or something unexplained) but little in terms of at what cost and how to repair that-- the fluff assumes that all the use of the devour feature probably takes care of this, but it's not really set out.
    First, I might suggest taking a look at the Machine PRC, which is an ozodrin PRC for warforged (or other constructs) and does have something like that. Still this is an interesting idea. Off hand I could see it working akin to something like:

Form points are expended when you manifest your true form or reassign them while already manifested (with this would come the ability to only partially manifest your true nature on a given round, with features left out then requiring another swift action). When you eat a normal sized meal you regain one form point. When you devour something, you gain one form point per point of con damage dealt, but staggered two rounds like with the healing. You may manifest more form points than you have (provided the total value stays under your max), but any extra form points spend would be dealt to you in non-lethal damage (this would heal first when using devour). Might call it Monstrous Hunger.

Might need some adjusting of the rate that you regain form points and some other things, and wording certainly needs clearing up, but I may well see about adding an ability like this to the optional class features. Might also add a mouth or stomach augment with it to improve the rate that the form points are regained. Not sure when I'll get around to it cleaning it up, though if someone else feels like doing so that's fine too.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew