New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Oriental Adventures (Restart)

Once he's burnt the bodies, Masaya goes to sleep until Chion wakes him for his watch.

(Just a point... nobles are not allowed to touch dead bodies, as they are impure. Perhaps why Chion didn't help. Yet both Masaya and Masumi had no problem doing something nobles will normally refuse to do...)

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

((I can handle the mechanics, but I suppose it'd be best if the character was played by someone else for more objectivity))

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

(aside from hit points ikeira is leveled (1d4)[1])

ikeira returns to camp to rest.
    (did he recover the corpse that didnt animate?)
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

4. - Top - End - #694

PirateGuy

Die roll for Chion's hit points
    1d10+3-> [8,3] = (11)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=870405

Total 76 Current total 66.

((Chion is not displaying distaste at the dead bodies but he appears soul weary.))
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 2007-02-11 at 10:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

((Yes, you did recover the corpse that didn't reanimate))

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

(Say, did we eat the boar masmui caught allready or is that still availlible?)
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

7. - Top - End - #697

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

"vrishma, i could use your assistance in examining the lastest victim of that creature to insure nothing was left behind."

Ikeira begins to examine the wounds on the body.

8. - Top - End - #698

((Was the boar even cooked yet? I didn't think it was.))

The wounds look reminsicent of the kind a leech would leave. The body has begun to shrivel and any inward examinations reveal that the blood was slowly drained from the victim, and was probably started while the victim was still alive. There is a black, viscous liquid that is sitting in the chest cavity of this victim that looks just like the black goo left behind from the beastie.

9. - Top - End - #699

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

Ikeira casts one last spell prestidigitation. he begins to remove the liquid from her chest cavity via magic(5 pounds telekinisis per round moved 5 / drying her clothes cleaning her body etc.) hewill dump the liquid into the pyre if he can.

10. - Top - End - #700

You notice that when the liquid passes over the heart (or any other organ) that the organ will pump once or twice and the body will twitch. But you get the goo into the fire. It lets off a putrid stench and fills the sky with a black pall, but it is burning off.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

((Can I maake a survival check or something to cook it or do I need skills in cooking?))
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

12. - Top - End - #702

((Go ahead and make a Survival check))

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

survival (1d20+8=22)

In a move of pragmatic instincts Masumi asks for a knife as she starts preparing the boar carcass for eating, however she has the wise sense to get a different fire than the funeral pyre for this activity.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

(extra HP: 6, total 39

Vrishma helps Ikeira look the body over (for what it's worth now), and "Humms" at the black liquid. His eyes narrow somewhat, and he spits in disgust.
    ((Heal check: 16+8=24))
    Dreadful stuff, this is. May the Earth-mother have mercy on their souls, I pray, for theirs was a fate worse than even death. he says, sadly, and purses his lips in thought. ((He will try to remember more about what could reanimate these corpses with knowledge (religion) or knowledge (spirits); which one is more appropriate?))
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2007-02-12 at 09:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Double-post.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2007-02-12 at 09:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706

PirateGuy

Chion

Chion will hand Masumi his small knife to cut the boar and prepare the meal as hshe will use at least part if not all of the watch fire. He will resume his watch and glare at Nobutada when returns to earth from his lofty perch. "Welcome brave guide, truely we are lucky you survived." He will spit away from guide and resume his watch.

17. - Top - End - #707

Nobutada bows shakily.

"N..noble sir, I am not one who has been trained in combat. I grew up in the back alleys of the Imperial city until ah....a misunderstanding forced me to relocate out here. Now I mine and guide people through the forest. I'm not noble or brave like you samurai. But at least I have the common courtesy and open-mindedness to see where everyone fits into the picture, not just those who are good with weaponry. We all have our uses, young one."

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Upon hearing the conversation, Vrishma turns towards the two and shakes his head. What are you displeased about, Chion ((are we using the english titles or the Japanese ones? It sounds a bit strange to me)), I ask? Neither is he a warrior nor for combat we called him. At least his feet are quick, we know now, and he would not lead us in trouble if he knows of it. Recklessness in a guide is like bravery in a rabbit: neither fitting nor safe. he says, chuckling good-naturedly, but then his brow furls again.

Yet something else worries me, it does. It is not natural that the dead walk, and their blows might carry more than just flesh wounds. Wake up, Masaya. I need to look at that wound of yours. He taps the samurai on the shoulder as he looks at the bruise the undead creature gave him

((Heal check 1d20+8=17. Unless he finds something disturbing, he will proceed as follows))

He clicks his tongue as he sees the wound, and then shrugs. Nasty, isn't it? Shouldn't let it like that, I think, else disease might take it, he says, as much to himself as to anyone else. He opens his waterskin and puts some of the water on his palm, chanting a hurried mantra, and then presses his palm against the wound.

((He "burns" an "invisibility to spirits" spell for a cure medium wounds. Up to 16 HPs cured, let me know if there's more.)) Masaya probably feels a short chill as if he's immersed in the river itself, but the pain subsides immediately.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2007-02-13 at 07:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahhh... thankyou Vrishma-san, I needed that. He looks at his skin, where the heavy impact of the zombie's attack had broken bones. Now there is only a bruise.
    (I took 19 damage, so I'm only 3 damage down after that)

20. - Top - End - #710

((Aside from the broken bones, nothing else is apparent. And just to make sure everyone caught it, Ozzy did bring up a very good, valid point higher up on this page:

(Just a point... nobles are not allowed to touch dead bodies, as they are impure. Perhaps why Chion didn't help. Yet both Masaya and Masumi had no problem doing something nobles will normally refuse to do...) Go ahead and try Knowledge Spirits, V))

21. - Top - End - #711

PirateCaptain

(ikeira didnt help with the animated but did grab the most recent victim, working to purify the body for funeral rite? interesting he refuses to touch obvious corrupted bodies but not those that can be purified)

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

The Vanara looks at his hands with a measure of surprise and appreciation, but then looks disapprovingly at the bruise. Deeper than I thought, oh yes. Whatever made the dead rise has given much power, it has. This alone well should heal, I guess, but the prepared mouse is always less hungry., he shrugs and, muttering a few words, touches the bruise again. The effect is barely noticeable this time, but it seems to subside again. ((Cure minor wounds))

((Knowledge (Spirits) = 13, but if he can take 10 it's a 20))

23. - Top - End - #713

Nothing comes to mind about some beast like this being even mentioned in anything you've heard or read.

24. - Top - End - #714

PirateGuy

Chion

"My people have plenty of heroic tales that revolve around guides and noted woodsman after all they were in the wilderness for a while. However, I see now he is not brave but cautious. I am judging him like he was from my Clan. Which he is not...Your words enlighten, Vrishma" "

As to what I am upset about ? How would evauate our fight just there or explain it to anyone else in the kingdom?
    Chion will lean on his naginata and inhale the smell of the roasting pork
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 2007-02-13 at 11:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

Vrishma stretches for a moment, and then sits down. He looks up, then shrugs non-commitantly. Many times old Aki told me the spirits give their favors as they please, she did, and we can little understand their desires - sometimes they give strength to the weak, indeed, other times weaken the strong. Yet bear no malice to those who seem less worthy, Chion. Without darkness, you can not tell what is light. Who knows, in time they may yet exceed in virtue, they may. If you worry about fame, I pray, do not. For today, well enough we have done, we have. A monster that preyed on the unwary in life and in death, we have slain. Rest and freedom to its captives, we have given. Is that not the stuff of legends? We have proven our might to the spirits, so we have, and they will reward us as they see fit. Who knows, perhaps our guide has a tongue as quick as his feet, he winks, and bares his teeth in a wide grin. His eyes close momentarily as he sighs in content, before scratching his head and looking around.

Miss Masumi, did you appease the boar when you killed it?

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

Chion, Samurai fight the shadow and heimin do not. Masaya sits waiting for the boar to finish cooking. This is the way of things. Yes, heimin may be press-ganged into fighting for their lord, but they are rarely good at it. My father is a Samurai, as was his father, and so on back to the fall of the Kami. As was yours no doubt. Our guide's was not. There is no shame in letting us fight for him. Would you labour in the fields, sowing and plowing? No, that is not your place, it is the place of heimin. More important is the thing itself. A being of dark magic, of shadow-taint... yet we are many, many miles from the shadowlands. What is it doing here? Has it wandered all this way? Or has someone been practicing Maho... he says with a grave look.
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-02-14 at 12:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #717

((Guys, I just want to say that I am thoroughly enjoying running this campaign. You are all doing awesome jobs with your characters. Once again I'll state that I won't break up character interaction just to keep the story moving along. By all means, interact and talk if you're all feeling it. I'll move the story along as needed))
    Last edited by Cyrus112; 2007-02-14 at 12:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

The ronin-ko looks up from her... uh... cooking at Vrishma with an odd look in her golden eyes, nearly one of bemusement but not entirely so.

"...Appease? Hmph. I mean not to offend you, sir, but you don't see falcons or wolves or other predators of the mountains asking such forgiveness from their prey. Such is my own pragmaticism. Besides, and to the point, I have no bow, no spear... no snares or traps, only what I have with me. If I then go to such trouble of catching something to eat then it is -mine- by right. I also share it with you, keep in mind. I ask for no forgiveness in such matters and I'm sure this boar would agree if it was foolish enough to be caught by a woman with such capacity."

It's more than anything else she's said up to this point, and Masumi seems to be aware of it, letting the epiphany sink in for a few moments as she tends to the food, food that she's preparing despite claiming to be samurai.

"In anycase, regarding our tainted adversary, I side with Bayushi-san. It's dead, and I mean with the utmost certainty that it is, so we should bother ourselves moreover with the 'how' of the matter. How it got here, whether by sheer luck and coincidence or if it was given un-life by someone away from the Shadowlands. ...However as to the matter of who has what place in this world I again must disagree. It's not easy for everyone to simply assume a place nor is it a simple matter of lineage. In our guide's case perhaps it is, but I don't deal in absolutes nor do I hold people strictly to their 'place' when it comes to judging who is capable of what. After all we are all hardly a uniform group..."

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya grins at this. Perhaps if you lived with the rest of your clan you would not have such unusual views. But surely we have our places, you are a Lion Samurai, it is your place to protect the heimin like our guide. If you did not, it would be dishonourable. If you left him to be murdered and ran away... yet if a heimin woman did this, that would not be dishonourable. You would not expect a simple peasant woman to fight the walking dead, would you?

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

"I DID aquiess that in this case our guide couldn't have been expected to fight against the undead. However beyond initial impressions I would not be surprised or aghast if a peasant, man or woman, took up arms..."