New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1588
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Oriental Adventures (Restart)

Chion

"What a fine meal to have in the wilderness. My father would take me out on excursions into the far provinces when I was but a boy. We would relive the tales of our ancesotors in exile in the desert for forty years. He would tell me stories from that time of exile. How we would prepare food, all chopped up into tiny piece with sesonings and then cooked on the coals of the fire with a shield. You would have to stir the food as it cooked." Chion will examine the food for poisons "Camping every night, moving constantly and going where the wind took you. A fine horse beneath you as if you could race the sunsets to their end. That is why I wear a topnot even today I must be ready to ride, I shouldn't have left my steed in town but I did not know we would be traveling this far." Chion will sit next to Nobutada so he can strangle him if the poison overtakes him too rapidly. He is smiling broadly as he remembers his past. Chion will turn and talk to Vrishma " I think it's skill."
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 2007-04-05 at 03:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

It is skill... and something more.
    Masaya leans back, watching the fire.
    The desert is not as fun as they would have you believe. Your ancestors lived in exile. I, myself was born in exile. There are not many of my generation, we desert children.

3. - Top - End - #993

PirateCaptain

ikeira

ikeira will take 2 plates and walk away from the fire towards masumi and gently try to wake her up for dinner
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

Masumi doesn't want to wake up, so Ikeira finds himself batted at with a sleepy hand...
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

5. - Top - End - #995
    Bugbear in the Playground

The food is not poisonous. It tastes wonderful. The seasonings are light but really compliment the cooked vegetables.

6. - Top - End - #996

PirateCaptain

ikeira

continues to try to wake masumi gently though a smile slips across his face as he does so. " comon masumi you need to eat too. please wake up and eat with me."

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ettin in the Playground

A pause.

Rising like a dead person, Masumi (in a rather unflattering position as her eyes don't even open all the way and there seem to be rings under her eyes) squints at Ikeira and then down at the venison. With a shrug she takes the food from him and proceeds to tuck into the meat.

"I knew I was forgetting to do something before I slept. Strangest thing, though, you just woke me from a dream about my late father..."
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2007-04-06 at 12:37 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya smiles. Good thing you were woken then! I would not like to dream of my father.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ettin in the Playground

Masumi sleepily eyes Masaya inbetween bites.

"We are of differing fathers then; mine was a nuturing parent who taught me the way of the sword and more than you would ever understand."

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

Very different to mine then. He did not nurture, or even talk to me much as a child. I was sent to train... he pauses, and licks his lips nervously, train as a warrior, away from my family, when I became an adult. And when I was a child, we had not long returned from the desert, so he was busy working to return the Scorpions to our rightful place. And the path he chose for me... it is not something he is proud of. Masaya stares at the ground, morosely. He chose this path for me, yet he is ashamed of my walking of it! He is ashamed that I am so adept. If I had failed, he would have rebuked me, but secretly I think he would have been pleased. We are the Bayushi Scorpions, our life is duty and loyalty, and he knows that my talents are what the Empire needs, what our loyalty demands... but the desert took so much out of him, he is obsessed by his reputation amongst non-Scorpions, so he is ashamed of me, he is ashamed of himself, ashamed to be a Scorpion, and what his son is represents that, so he is ashamed of me. Even when we fought side-by-side at Biden Pass, he was ashamed of what we had done, yet a few years later he sent me to train...
    Suddenly Masaya stands up. Sorry, I should not burden you with my own problems. If you'll excuse me, I need to, uh, relieve myself, he says, embarrassed. Then he walks out of the camp and behind some bushes.

11. - Top - End - #1001

PirateCaptain

Ikeira

"come by the fire its time to share something"

Ikeira will try to take her hand and lead her to the fire. once there however he wont let go as he starts to speak and looks into her eyes....if she will let him.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a sleepy eyed ronin who tries to respond twice in the midst of Masaya's epiphany, however something else grabs her attention when he flees; namely the wu-jen asking her to come with him.

She most certainly doesn't.

Masumi instantly becomes awake after a beif delay of pondering when a possible meaning occurs to her. Grabbing Ikeira by his garments and forcing him close to her (so close in fact to anyone who looks, it appears from behind as if they were kissing) before her harsh almost gutteral whisper overtakes any thoughts of tenderness. ..To Ikeira, anyway.

"Whatever you -think- you've discovered, whatever you may guess lies in my shadow, I do not WISH to reveal at this time. Do not ask this of me for I fear not everyone is as welcomming as Bayushi or yourself."

Her eyes dart very, very briefly in Chion's general direction, but they linger most of all on the guide.

"Some will never understand...."

13. - Top - End - #1003

PirateCaptain

ikeira

Ikeira whispers back so none but her can hear
    " wether you were bitten and cursed or born with your shifting abilities i care not. i would have you as a friend anyway. i do need to know which so as to not give you a magic item that would kill you by mistake. now come to the fire with me its time to share something that has nothing to do with you."

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

Masumi

Masumi never saw the katana so this leaves her momentarily confused. However her eyes flutter at the term shifting (as Ikeira is evidently 100% correct) and she seems put off more than anything.

However...

"Born. But still do not let anyone else know. Chion is a good youth, but he answers to someone else and I didn't live this long by writting letters to everyone of my condition."

Masumi, her cheecks reddening allows herself to be led to the fire now.

"..What magic item did you mean, anyway?"

15. - Top - End - #1005

PirateCaptain

ikeira

one last whisper then they are at the fire" the yeti gave us a katana in exchange for the food i gave her. we havent tested it for magic yet but there are some relics left from the shifter wars that bite deep even the hands of lycanthropes but not so the hengyokie, i would ask which to be safe with my administration of those items we find" a brief pause for her answer then he begins. I was born Kitsunara Ikeira of the dragon clan. at the age of three i began training as a samurai in my family's tradition. at that age though only the wooden practice weapons are allowed. at the age of 5 i began having dreams once every new moon. these dreams in volved a friend who was sometimes an animal some times a human and me fighting some creatures as a warrior but with no weapons just waving my hands and speaking. this concerned me not about my friend in the dream but by the fact that a warrior was fighting without weapons. at 5 i did not understand how this was possible. when i asked my father he couldnt answer. apparently he asked the clan elders what it ment for the next new moon the clan council showed up and asked if i had the dream again. i had. they said nothing but departed possibly doing research. every new moon the would come and ask the same thing. this went on until i was 10. at that time i was allowed to bring a true katana out to practice with in order to learn the proper care of such a weapon. on that day a creature errupted from the bushes, knocking me off my feet and attacking my trainer. needless to say i was mad. this was my lands and my trainer no creature dares knock me off my feet on my lands. i drew my blade and launched into the attacks i was learning. the creature died at the time an old man hobbled up with a make shift crutch and a freshly broken ankle. the battle had aroused the house so all had come. and there the wujen performed his feets of magic and burned the corpse of the creature. it was then irealized what my dream ment. so i asked him if such feets counted as being a warrior. he said yes. i swore a vow to learn the arts to use in defense of the empire. by right of kill i could make and be expected to keep vows so my father could say nothing. the next day the clan elders arrived, book of names in hand. they had expected this i believe. said they once entered in the rolls one cannot be removed save by death or banishment. will you return to your training as a samurai. i swore a vow said i and i will not back down for such would dishonor the kill and the clan. a samurai is what you are listed as in the rolls said they you cannot be otherwise in the clan, yet. i remember that last word now though i didnt then as i turned to my father. i cannot have a son in the family who is not of the clan says he. So i turned in my belongings. they let me keep the use of my given name. perhaps some day i will be a dragon and kitsunara again perhaps not. my studies took me around the empire. and one day i heard the emporer was gathering an army to do something about the shadowlands involving a magic weapon of some type. here was something to be learned about if there was a weapon that could cleanse such a large are at once perhaps there was also a spell to use for new areas before they become to large to need such a weapon. i hastened to join the army and there i met masaya and vrishma. i will pause here to allow them their tales before we joined forces"

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya returns , just catching the end of Ikiera's monologue. Sorry, you want us to tell our stories?
    He sits down. Mine is simple enough. As I said, I was born in the desert, when we were in exile after the coup. We returned while I was still a child, and I learnt the ways of an honourable Samurai of the Scorpion clan. When I was 19, I fought at the battle of Biden Pass, fighting with honour and courage, so when I returned other lords suggested to my father that I train with them, to learn all the martial arts taught by our clan. He didn't want to let me, but when I was 23 he relented, and I learnt a variety of martial arts. I also was given the magical bracers which allow me to go invisible. I returned to my father for a time, but then our town was struck by a terrible curse, and so I left to find a cure. On the way, I picked up Vrishma and Ikiera to help me.

(Some notes: the battle of Biden Pass was 10 years ago, so Masaya would be 29. It was a famous battle, ending the spirit wars. The spirit wars were when spirits that escaped from the afterlife attempted to conquer Rokugan. The war lasted 8 years, but was finally ended at the battle of Biden Pass. The Scorpion pretended to betray the Lion and Dragon clans, and join the spirits. They then led the spirits to Biden Pass, which was covered in invisible magical runes. The Phoenix Shugenjas then appeared and using the magic they'd prepared, collapsed the walls of the pass, killing most of the spirit army, and ending the war. Although they'd won the war, most Samurai considered the Scorpions' trick to be dishonourable and against Bushido. It's not out of character for the Scorpion, a clan famous for its lack of honour. The coup for example that Masaya mentioned, was when the leader of the Scorpions tried to kill the Emperor and take over, he pretended that there was some evil prophecy he had to stop, so he had to kill the Emperor. For this, the Scorpion were banished to the desert for 5 years.)
    (Also, you can make Sense Motive checks if you want.)
    Last edited by Ozzy_G; 2007-04-06 at 03:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

"If we're telling stories, mine is simple. I am Masumi. My father is.. was Natsuyama Shishikage of the Lion Clan and I am his progenitor and heir to his style of teaching, no matter who runs his kenjutsu school currently and regardless of what they have to say of the matter. I claim this by right, and I have no regrets or qualms about spreading -my- style to those who would learn. I am myself, nothing more nothing less."
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2007-04-06 at 03:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, but what you are, says Masaya with a wide grin, there is no need to be more! Already you have shown us your inhumanly skilled hunting abilities and your fierce skill in battle.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't wish to talk about that."

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya laughs. Learn to take a compliment, Masumi. You should be proud of your skill. You said your father was a Kenjutsu teacher, so presumably he taught you. If you will not be proud for yourself, be proud for your father, who has produced a child with all the skills he aimed to teach.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Masumi doesn't respond; she merely watches the fire, although the words seem to be taken well.

22. - Top - End - #1012

PirateGuy

Chion
    Chion has taken up the position of guard again and listens to the various stories of the group while he watches. When Masumi looks to himm Chion will avert his gaze to another stone or tree which is more interesting.
    He will start slow breathing excercises until his calm is genuine.

23. - Top - End - #1013

Nobutada calls out.

"Master Chion, I meant what I said earlier. No watch need be kept. Not when we're so close to where Genki resides. All is calm and peaceful. Come, share something of yourself with us. You are young, yet you must have some stories."

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya gives Ikiera a significant look.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

Vrishma

((Happy Easter, y'all))

Vrishma has been listening quietly, and has tried some of the meat, but looks at Nobutada with a bit of a surprise. He is apparently used to being wary when camping, and whispers something to Shimikawa as he strokes the big cat's fur. No watch? Cold these places are, I think, and hardly bountiful enoughfor their residents that they would not care about a few hapless victims. Wasn't the great sage long not seen?

[[sense motive=18 ]]

Whatever else he thinks, he does not show it as he warms his hands, his animal friend already starting to doze off at the warmth. He yawns widely before continuing. I am humbled, indeed I am, my friends. Masumi, I dare say you weave your secrets from the poor, foolish me no worse than you weave your blade in battle, I do. As for you, Ikeira, a pity you and your family do not get along, indeed it is. Your wisdom would have been as great a gift as any skill in arms. Yet it seems to me, it does, that many of the customs here bring more tears than laughter to the people.

26. - Top - End - #1016

PirateCaptain

ikeira

"i think you misunderstand vrishma, my family and i got along well and there was much respect between the council and my desicion, however the clan laws and family laws must still be observed regardless of intent. family law states that one cannot be a member of the family and not be in the clan. the only exception to this i have ever seen is by marriage from outside the clan and that usually brings connections to the clan as the woman changes clans to be with her husband....though there was once one who left the clan to join his wife instead."

27. - Top - End - #1017

As far as you can tell, Vrishma, Nobutada is telling the truth. You won't be attacked at all where you are.

28. - Top - End - #1018

PirateGuy

Chion

"I prefer to keep in practice for the watch." Chion will come over to the fire.” Besides I tried to add something from a memory conjured from the mists of my mind and it was met with disdain. I don't wish to add any more, only a fool allows an enemy to slap him twice without learning. I have learned much on this trip already and I see my father was right about this group. I should be here. Your cooking skills are to be commended Guide." Chion will sit with group and eat slowly and deliberately.

29. - Top - End - #1019

Nobutada smiles and answers.

"Thank you. I would take you to Genki now, but it's just a little too far to walk and night is coming on. It can get frightfully cold out here. First thing in the morning I'll take you to him."

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

Masaya smiles, and glances at Ikiera again, giving him a nod.