New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

smile Contact information for Mr. Burlew

While I'm a long-time reader of OoTS, I just signed up for the forums. I hope this thread doesn't break long-standing protocols of the forum. If this question has been answered, or if there's a better place to post this question, your advice is more than welcome. I searched the FAQs already to no avail.

I wanted to send an email directly to Mr. Burlew, but haven't found a simple "contact me" button anywhere. The purpose of my email would be to ask him if he is open to doing a small piece of commissioned art... a single panel that I was hoping would make a great present for a friend that I play D&D with, and who also reads OoTS religiously. And, if Mr. Burlew is interested, how much money would be an acceptable price?

If anyone can answer this... or advise me on how to contact the artist directly, I'd much appreciate it.
    Last edited by Johnbai; 2010-07-13 at 03:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Contact information for Mr. Burlew

Probably the best way to go about this would be to pass along a PM through one of his most trusted henchmen admins. Try sending a PM via Rawhide or Roland. Both are easy to locate and VERY active, and in fact will probably have mind controlled responded to this thread by the time I finish typing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The easiest and best way would probably to find out to which conventions he's going and try to see and ask him there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    The easiest and best way would probably to find out to which conventions he's going and try to see and ask him there.
    Does he still go to them?

You can send him a PM direct, but I don't know how often he checks it.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Does he still go to them?
    Yeah, I thought he was taking time off because of his illness.

Anyway, I'm sure sooner or later an admin or even Rich himself will see this thread and answer your question.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps you should take this request to the Arts & Crafts forum and find an artist to make it for free, without bothering Rich.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Perhaps you should take this request to the Arts & Crafts forum and find an artist to make it for free, without bothering Rich.
    Sounds like part of the reason for wanting it would be the fact that the author and artist made it themselves. As it's a present and all.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Thank you for replies and suggestions thus far. I was aware that the artist is dealing with health issues... and also thought he was avoiding public appearances these days. I also appreciate the suggestion to find another artist to do something in the same style... but it wouldn't be the same.

The goal was to see if he would be willing to illustrate a scene from one of our recent D&D games... in which a crazed goblin is riding on top of a hurtling railroad cart inside a mining tunnel... the cart has been modified into a wooden cage with a feral wildcat inside.

It was an epic visual from our game session... and I couldn't help but see the goblin as one of Rich's stick figure goblins. In fact, OoTS has had such an impact on my D&D experience that I often visualize our scenes in Burlew's signature art style. Then it occurred to me that he might be willing to make some extra bucks doing a little commissioned piece of artwork.

I know he's very private and dedicated to following his own muse when it comes to OoTS. I don't know if he would feel odd about illustrating a panel in the OoTS style for someone else.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I believe he doesn't accept money for his drawings (unless it is merchandise you are buying). From what I know people have wanted to donate him but he has not taken anything. In fact, he tells people to go to some Charitys which you can donate money there.

He does this because

a) he doesn't want to feel like he owes the readers anything for giving him money. It his comic and he makes his money soley off merchandise bought. That way when people cant say "I donated money so I should see some new comics."

I think asking him to draw for money would fit into this category but I could be wrong.

But as the others said: You can ask someone in Arts and Crafts to draw it.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Obviously by having an account, The Giant can be sent a PM. No publicly available email address for him exists.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex