New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

I'm on a friend's facebook page and they have an astrological reading thing up. I've never laughed at a Uranus LAWL YO' ANUS joke before, to my knowledge, but I completely lost it at the line, apparently dead serious, "Uranus can bring a restless urge to be free."

I can't breath. I know it's immature, but dammit, I can't help it.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Thread in Which Banter Most Random is Expulsed Into Existence, By Ravens_cry #1

that's why in 2153 we changed it's name... to urectum

*sigh*
    i miss futurama.
    not long to go now!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I got a question, why is this place called ´Giant in the Playground´? Is it an inside joke regarding OOTS?
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    So I got a question, why is this place called ´Giant in the Playground´? Is it an inside joke regarding OOTS?
    it's actually listed in the FAQ section of the site. it had to do with Rich feeling like a Giant in the Playground that was the forums of Wizards of the Coast, or something like that.
    I'll see if I can find the relevant info.

Edit: Here's the link to the FAQ. It's down towards the bottom of the page..

@ Doggy: Damn you and your ninja-ing skillz.
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2010-06-21 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's answered in the FAQ:
    Q: What is .Giant in the Playground.?

A: Well, I picked the name when I first signed on to the Wizards.com message boards in April 2001. As memory serves, I had been reading the boards but not posting for a few weeks when I saw a topic in which everyone who had replied thus far was a complete moron. In a fit of snippiness, I registered and decided to pick a name that would have a connotation of intellectual superiority. Now, I am also a lifelong fan of the Babylon 5 television show, and at one point during the early 4th season, Sheridan refers to the ultra-powerful Vorlons and Shadows as "giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on." The quote later made it into the 5th season opening credits. So I decided it had the right level of implication for the bozos to which I was about to respond.

After that, I started posting a LOT on the WOTC boards. I never thought I had built a reputation or anything, but in 2002 when I was announced as the finalist in the Fantasy Setting Search, a lot of people said, "Oh! I've read your posts. You know what you're talking about." At this time I realized that the screen name "Giant in the Playground" had as much brand recognition as my real name, so I decided to keep it for my website and future web activities.
    EDIT @^ No need now Also the closest I have got to being a ninja is a character loosely based on myself in my NaNovel of last year went to ninja school because he could.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-21 at 09:12 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

More like:

Do you think that Teddy has the right to think that he's really awesome?
    1. Absolutely
    2. Yes
    3. I wouldn't say no
    4. No, and he should be torn into bloody pieces and burn in hell

If you answer 1, 2 or 3, that means I'm the best in the world.
    I believe this is the image macro you are looking for.

ION: Ugh...I've been hit with a laziness ray. D= I just don't have any energy to do anything lately.

What do you guys do when you're in a "can't get motivated" funk?
    Last edited by Trobby; 2010-06-21 at 09:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Listen to songs, read, think a bit, aimlessly browse the netowebs, then inspiration for something I just have to do strikes. Then I go off and do about a third of it, get bored and stop... Wait, that may not be very good advice.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    ION: Ugh...I've been hit with a laziness ray. D= I just don't have any energy to do anything lately.

Hang out with my friends playing games, eventually go home, upload my photos, then go to sleep and wake up the following day with my hangover gone.
    OK, occasionally my lack of motivation isn't alcohol induced, but only occasionally.

Woah. I completely I forgot I put food in the oven. Good thing I set the timer.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Deary: Yours is such a strange perspective to me.
    Are you referring to moving, Oregon, or soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    "Great. He spends skill points on Perform (Vuvuzela), and now I need to make a Knowledge (Limits of My Own Sanity) skill check."
    You know, I know the media constantly complains about the vuvuzelas, but though I understand why they're distracting for players, I DON'T GET why people watching on their TVs get so annoyed. It's noise, okay, fine. But the complaints about their "viewing experience" screams entitlement.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    You know, I know the media constantly complains about the vuvuzelas, but though I understand why they're distracting for players, I DON'T GET why people watching on their TVs get so annoyed. It's noise, okay, fine. But the complaints about their "viewing experience" screams entitlement.
    Personally, I just find the constant drone really annoying. I prefer being able to hear the crowd's cheers and reactions to what's happening than a perpetual swarm of bees sound. I don't know that I'd say they're impacting on my viewing experience, but if you asked me whether I'd prefer to watch a match where the crowd had them or not, I know which one I'd choose.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Annoying, no; emotionless, yes, and the emotion of crowd noise is important in sports where you can hear it. We can't all extract amusement from emotionless noise. Those of us who can do so listen to techno music and video game re-mixes.

Psychologically lazy days are time to do the dullest of chores, the ones you can't imagine spending valuable life time upon in a normal day. My brain gets so very bored performing those that it goes into that bubbling, free-association mode, and soon some shining connection appears and I can go follow it. Mind you, following it usually also involves unpicking some faulty logic and magical thinking, but sometimes the material can be used raw to create some art.

The boundaries of plausibility are the boundaries of awareness--quarks interacted long before humans knew of quarks--but when I look at the voids between plausibility and reality, and estimate the depth of the void by realizing the width of the ignorance, it's disheartening.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-06-21 at 12:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Are you referring to moving, Oregon, or soccer?
    Well, in this specific instance, the soccer. I don't recall how brutal on the players the soccer overtime was when they had it though. But, in general, your entire lifestyle and worldview are simply put, bizarre in the extreme to me. In fact, I find you anthropologically fascinating.
    vuvuzelas
    I.... I lol'd.

...And a short wiki-check later and I think I've found the worst musical instrument ever. I mean, honestly. B-flat? B-FLAT!?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-06-21 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

If it starts in B-Flat, it will end in B-Flat. Idiot.
    Annnnnnnnnnnybody that gets that at all will get an internet.
    Edit: That's a quote, and not directed at anyone.
    Last edited by Jokasti; 2010-06-21 at 01:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

That reminds me, what sound do you get if you through a piano into a kindergarten in session?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-flat minor.

Yes, I am terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    That reminds me, what sound do you get if you through a piano into a kindergarten in session?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-flat minor.

Yes, I am terrible.
    Hmm... I suppose it beats what you get if you fly a bomber over a military base and drop pianos rather than bombs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A-flat major
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-21 at 01:51 PM.
    BANG → !

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

"You dawg, I herd you like menus so we put a menu in your menu so you can choose while you choose."

This is how my day felt. It's like multinationals don't want you to talk to the people who work there
    I spent 20 minutes trying to get through to someone in HSBC, their machines are evil.

Despite this my day has been awesome. I have a chicken roasting, am watching Friends re-runs and my flat finally has a floor again rather than a layer of clothes and dishes.

Life is goooood
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, today at work I unthinkingly mentioned that I never want to have children. Then, one of my coworkers decided to grill me about why. When I explained, she kept trying to find reasons why I should have kids, and suggested that I was just being selfish and immature (not in those words) and that I'd eventually meet a guy who'd change my minds (more or less in those words).

It'd be wrong to burn her, wouldn't it?
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    So, today at work I unthinkingly mentioned that I never want to have children. Then, one of my coworkers decided to grill me about why. When I explained, she kept trying to find reasons why I should have kids, and suggested that I was just being selfish and immature (not in those words) and that I'd eventually meet a guy who'd change my minds (more or less in those words).

It'd be wrong to burn her, wouldn't it?
    Only if you get caught.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

19. - Top - End - #319

Scorpina -- Bingo.

Google "childfree" if you haven't already. You're not the first person I've heard that story from.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

I have a theory* that a number of "proud" parents instead possess Stockholm Syndrome as their lives are being held hostage by their children. There are some who actually care about their children, but they often live lives that are either comfortable, fulfilling, or boring.

*Thanks to my flagrant disregard for the scientific method, my definition of theory is random gibberish that is barely true.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

I just woke up 20 minutes ago. It's 4:50 PM.

What the hell. This day is pretty much nonexistent for me.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^: Guess you're going to have to party hard tonight to make up for the lost time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Scorpina -- Bingo.

Google "childfree" if you haven't already. You're not the first person I've heard that story from.
    See, on the one hand, I'm sympathetic to Scorpina for the lack of social graces possessed by her coworker.

But on the other hand, people that come up with their own social culture like that just skeeve me the hell out.

Also, the name just doesn't do enough for me to see why anyone would really want to label themselves that way.

On another note, how does one deal with children one is not allowed to throttle due to not owning them when they start to invade your personal space and they are old enough to know better and of sound mind and body? Having a three year old who is intentionally trying to trip you by getting underfoot is so annoying.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-06-21 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #323

But on the other hand, people that come up with their own social culture like that just skeeve me the hell out.

Also, the name just doesn't do enough for me to see why anyone would really want to label themselves that way.
    To the first, see Scorpina's story. That happens a lot (hence the Bingo cards). It's more of a support/mutual venting group, from what I've seen.

To the second, given that so many people assume everyone wants or will want children some day, some have found it useful to find a way to distinguish themselves. It's sort of a "I don't have kids, it's not a matter of 'yet,' stop asking, stop pitying me." This article has more on that subject.
    In 1957, "childless" was the preferred term for (married) adults who were not parents. English usage has since evolved to apply the term "childfree" to those who neither have children nor want any, while "childless" is generally applied to those who would dearly like to have children but have been thwarted in their hopes by circumstances beyond their control.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

If chicken is pink is it likely to kill me. It's been in the oven for 2.5 hours but is still fairly pink.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Curses!
    I was supposed to do laundry, clean the flat and wash dishes tonight in preaparation for my holiday trip on Wednesday. I can't do it tomorrow because I'm heading to a concert tomorrow night and won't have time to do any of it tomorrow, and I'm leaving for the airport at 7am on Wednesday.

Problem is that when I got home from work today, I promptly fell asleep and only woke up at 9PM. Not enough time to do all I need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    If chicken is pink is it likely to kill me. It's been in the oven for 2.5 hours but is still fairly pink.
    Turn on the oven.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Personally, I just find the constant drone really annoying. I prefer being able to hear the crowd's cheers and reactions to what's happening than a perpetual swarm of bees sound. I don't know that I'd say they're impacting on my viewing experience, but if you asked me whether I'd prefer to watch a match where the crowd had them or not, I know which one I'd choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Annoying, no; emotionless, yes, and the emotion of crowd noise is important in sports where you can hear it. We can't all extract amusement from emotionless noise. Those of us who can do so listen to techno music and video game re-mixes.
    Fair enough. I guess maybe the audience's reaction doesn't matter as much to me . . . I frankly find audiences annoying (though I hate seeing mostly-empty stadiums). This might come from growing up playing sports like tennis, where the audience isn't supposed to make noise.

Well, in this specific instance, the soccer. I don't recall how brutal on the players the soccer overtime was when they had it though. But, in general, your entire lifestyle and worldview are simply put, bizarre in the extreme to me. In fact, I find you anthropologically fascinating.
    Oh good. My lifestyle and worldview are, I will grant, frequently well against the grain of the mainstream, but given that they are mine they make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    That's rude in the extreme of her. On the other hand, people can be equally rude about those who choose to have children - my mum had a friend who stopped speaking to her for six months when she found out she was pregnant with my second brother, because this friend believed it was selfish and immature to have children.

On another note, how does one deal with children one is not allowed to throttle due to not owning them when they start to invade your personal space and they are old enough to know better and of sound mind and body? Having a three year old who is intentionally trying to trip you by getting underfoot is so annoying.
    Children are the ultimate egotists. Three is, therefore, not old enough to know better, although old enough to respond when told to stop. If it were my sibling the dealing-with would happen as follows.

"<name>, please stop."

if the child continues, then:

"<name>, it's not polite to ignore someone when they ask you to stop doing something. If you do it again, you're going to have to go sit in a chair."

And if they do it again, they have to go sit in a chair by themselves until they apologize. Sometimes this turns into a tantrum, but you can't break down because consequences threatened must be carried out.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Turn on the oven.
    DAMMIT! I knew I forgot something.

Seriously tho, am I gonna die from my pink chicken?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Turn on the oven.
    Or don't, because that is definitely long enough if it isn't on for the chicken to become a practical Petri dish for all manner of bacteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #330

If you do it again, you're going to have to go sit in a chair.
    Now I'm not one to comment on parenting skills (and I also understand that lots of people say this is a good system for discipline), but this sentence is the best. I imagine a very strict person saying it with the same tone they'd threaten to test out their new rifle and it cracks me up every time. ("Quiet son, I'm making... TOAST!" comes to mind)

I'd be an awful parent.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-06-21 at 05:10 PM.
    BANG → !