Very, very well apparently.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [OSRIC (AD&D)] T1-4 The Temple Of Elemental Evil IC

Rufus
    Spoiler
    Show

Wow, I did not expect you to make that.
    Druid is suspected of suspecting traders by traders - that's why he didn't go.
    Thelas

Ambiguously aligned Domain Wizard (Divination) 9/Iot7V 7 at your service.

If I am playing in or running a game and I don't seem to be showing up, PM me. Please.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    While stroking one of the malnourished horses, Ox is surprised to be suddenly struck by a thought. He narrows his eyes, creasing his scarred brow. He glances about the yard, keeping an eye on any stablehands or grooms that might be about, as he does his best to move surreptitiously toward Aldan. He pulls the other half-orc to the edge of the yard, out of earshot of anyone unfamiliar and whispers, "Aldan. It's just dawned on me why the druid sent us instead of dealing with it himself--the traders here know of his suspicion. If they have no qualms abusing these animals despite the presence of a mighty druid... These must be powerful people. We should tread lightly, lest we trod on the wrong toes."
    Last edited by RufusCorvus; 2010-07-06 at 11:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rufus:
    Spoiler
    Show

Aldan raises an eyebrow, and says, Well, yeah. I said that they're carrying a wide selection of magic items did I not? The druid has been wary of opposing them directly, because that many items means either they're very experienced in combat to have earned them all, or that they're heirs of a rich family...and if that were true, why would they be here...but Jaroo still feels the need to ask for our aid to free these animals. Now, I need to quickly check the security here. Can you keep an eye out? I don't want the traders to see me inspecting the locks.

At the stables:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aldan then goes to the doors of the stable, and examines how well they can be locked or barred, and in what way. He also looks for any easy openings or similar elsewhere in the stable.

6. - Top - End - #126

TS
    Spoiler
    Show

Soo... roll me 2d%, and copy all your Thief Skills percentages next to the rolls, for reference, please.
    Thelas

If I am playing in or running a game and I don't seem to be showing up, PM me. Please.

7. - Top - End - #127

Thelas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d100)[19]
    (d100)[34]

And The numbers are here, on the left column.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Aldan, you said nothing about magic items. Only that they had these dungeon carts we may be interested in and some sick animals." As Aldan moves off, Ox does as he asked and keeps a lookout for him.

9. - Top - End - #129

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You, ah, might want to check that again...it was always in there.

"The animals at the trading post are sick and dying. The traders are corrupt, and are poisoning something with a rare poison. They have a lot of magic items on them though, so challenging them is a bad idea. The Druid is happy to buy anything the villiage can use, and if we can get hold of the animals at the post that are dying, and take them to the druid to heal them, he'll reward us."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    TS: It's o.k. if Ox doesn't remember. Somethings will just slip our mind or we won't hear for whatever reason. It actually adds to the realism, if he forgets a few things now and then.

@ the Stables:
    Spoiler
    Show

"This doesn't make much sense. I will trust your evaluation with the animals since I'm not particularly experience with livestock. But I am experienced with money.

Aldan, I would like to pass a theory off to you, and I want you to give it some serious consideration.

First of all I do not believe these traders are using a rare poison to kill their animals. It would harm their investment. I believe the druid used that to get us to free the animals. I do believe these animals are starving, not because of any poison, but due to a lack of funds and trade. It is a symptom of the larger problem.

I agree with your assessment Ox, it makes sense the traders would suspect the druid due to his connection to nature. Rather than give up their investment and allow the druid to care for these animals, the traders would rather let them starve until trade begins picking up once again.

The reason I do not believe it some rare poison is because these traders are merchants. Rare means money. Plus the livestock also means money. For them to use some sort of rare poison to kill their own animals would mean that they were sacrificing money to destroy more of their money. As I said, it doesn't make sense.

The druid may not want to get involved because it would harm his position within this community, especially now that he has to contend with the new priest. I am not saying that we shouldn't help thes poor creatures, but we need to tread carefully. As I have said before, to the druid if you will remember, their first concern is to nature, and not to civilization. We need to walk carefully with the druid.

I also think the reason the druid doesn't want us to confront them directly is because people need this trading post. He doesn't want them harmed, not because of all the powerful items they are carrying. Although, they may be carrying them, I don't believe that is the reason.

Just don't be shocked if we pull this job, and druid is the first to accuse us. We are the outsiders. Although we may be able to blame it on the bandits.

I am not saying this out of bias. I may be hot tempered at times, but I have been around for over a hundred and eighty years."

Last edited by Lord Vampyre; 2010-07-07 at 12:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Vampyre:

Spoiler
    Show
    Aldan whispers: Easy enough to test. Though I know the poison is in use, I recognise the smells, I don't know what on. These animals aren't poisoned, just starved and mistreated.

Aldan walks back inside, and up to one of the Traders, and asks:

Hi, we're new in town, and having a look at what supplies we can pick up here. We just had a look at the animals, and we're a little unsure on how happy they are...the horses look a little tired, and the dogs a little too wild. We're none that competent with animals though, so I was just checking that they're all happy and healthy before we look at buying anything.

Oh, and my apologies for the rudeness, I haven't introduced myself. My name is Aldan. How's business treating you?
    Last edited by term1nally s1ck; 2010-07-07 at 12:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

TS
    Spoiler
    Show

You estimate that you could pick the locks that are most likely to be used, but with much difficulty, and someone strong might also be needed.

Business is not bad at the moment. The animals have been checked to make sure that they are healthy, but if one is severely misbehaving, you can return it, with a witness, for your money back. Would you be interested in our fine stock of weapons, perhaps? We can order the more exotic types of weapons or armor if you can't find them here.
    Thelas

13. - Top - End - #133

OK, excellent. I'll be back when we know what kind of thing we need.

Back at the stables, keeping my voice low:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They claim that buisness is fine, and that the animals have been checked and are healthy. This is a blatant lie. I'm leaning very very heavily towards trusting Jaroo. Hell, he even lent me his magic water flask while we remain in the area.
    Last edited by term1nally s1ck; 2010-07-07 at 04:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

NecromancerGuy

@ the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show

"I'm not saying these animals are healthy. And of course the merchant is going to lie about the condition of the animals, if he wants to get the most for his money. All I'm saying, is that we need to be careful. Jaroo probably gave you that flask to make you more likely to help.

Personally, I'm all for helping these animals. I just don't believe that they're being poisoned, at least not by the traders. It doesn't make sense.

Now we need a plan. When I used to have to sneak into a place with a dog, I generally brought along some sort of meat to mollify the animal. If these animals are as starving as you've told me, we will definitely need it for the dogs. I can help with the locks, I've dealt with a number of them from time to time.

We probably shouldn't stay at the inn tonight. We may want to tell people that we're going to go look for the bandits straight away. Otherwise, we'll need to sneak out of the inn, and then sneak back out. For those of us who are not as quiet as the rest of us, this may be difficult. Besides, I'd rather not have to pay their prices, if I can help it.

Aldan, Hadan, and I can scout the area. After we're sure the place is clear, we'll signal to Ox, Valenin, and the rest to join us. From there it should be short work to get the animals free.

What do say? Aldan it's your call, I think most of us will follow your lead.

Honestly Aldan, I may be a little paranoid about the druid. I'll say this one last time, druids care more for animals and nature than they do about the people around them. He will sacrifice us, if he feels it will help him protect the land and the animals in it. I don't mind helping the animals, I just don't fully trust the druid."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

TS OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about that. I must've overlooked it. But Lord Vampyre's right, too--it fits characterization. Ox does have a 6 WIS after all.

At the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll trust your judgment, Aldan," Ox says. "The scheming in this town is making my head swim. I thought willingness to slay these bandits would be enough to gain the trust of the townsfolk. It seems I've misjudged them. Whatever plan of action you and Elsindril decide upon is fine with me. Though, truth be told, I'm starting to itch for blood."
    Last edited by RufusCorvus; 2010-07-07 at 04:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

@ the stables:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We need someone strong, and someone who can deal with locks. I can do both, but I think a couple of others are probably better at the locks.

Meat is a good plan, but I think we can justify buying some dog feed, and maybe get some bonus info while we're at it. However, we need a dog. Does anyone have one? These aren't useful for what we need.

Also, I want some information first. I'm going to go visit Jaroo again, and we need to find out how much we can trust him. If he's honestly putting so much of his own funds and resources towards keeping the villiage safe and well, I think he's worth believing in. After I've got things straightened out, I'll rejoin the group and we'll move on from there.

In the meantime, can I ask one or two of you to get in touch with the local Canon. Finding out more about him would help us figure out what we need to know. After this, we'll go talk to the adventurers, too. Meet me at that edge of town.

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

@ the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I can go speak with the local canon. I'm not a priest, and I really don't understand most of the religious stuff. But I am good at talking to people, when I don't let my temper get the best of me."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Wasn't there another priest who came in with your group? A human? Didn't he mention he'd already visited the village's church?" Ox looks around. "Where is he, anyway? Did we leave him at the inn?"

19. - Top - End - #139

((Reminding everyone about this. Jokes, where are you?))
    Thelas

20. - Top - End - #140

[[Yo, what's up?]]

21. - Top - End - #141

NecromancerGuy

@ the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I believe he did stay back at the inn. Well we can at least stop by there on our way to see Terjon. Well, I suppose if no one has any objections, there is no time like the present."

Elsindril leaves the stables and heads back to the inn.

@ the Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once inside the inn Elsindril begins looking around for Simon.

I hope someone else can deal with the priest. If he is as cranky as that old druid, I could get into some serious trouble. Well, that never stopped me before. I suppose if I have to, then I have to. Maybe, he doesn't like the druid either. That would explain all of the animosity between the two of them. I mean the druid really doesn't seem to have very much tolerance for other religions. Now, where is that priest that came here with us.

22. - Top - End - #142

@The Inn

Spoiler
    Show

"Oh, him." Simon rolls his eyes. "Seemed an ok sort, but I can't say I'm a particular fan of Cuthbertites. 'Follow me or I hit you over the head.' Still, he said we should drop by next time there is a service."
    Last edited by Jokes; 2010-07-13 at 11:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

NecromancerGuy

@ the Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon seeing Simon, Elsindril joins him at the table.

"I'm not sure if we should wait until the next service Simon. There are some things that we really need to get to the bottom of now. Hopefully, before someone tries to put a knife in our back while we're sleeping.

Do you think there is anything useful we can find out from this Cuthbertite. You know I'm not too familiar with all of these human religions. There really is just too many of them to keep track of.

I know Aldan was hoping we could find something out sooner than later. Hey where's Aundra? Aldan wants everyone to meet at the edge of town after we're done with the priest."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the Stables
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ox stays at the stables with Aldan, keeping a wary eye out for trouble.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I've been busy with summer school. Is this still happening?

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by RufusCorvus View Post
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I've been busy with summer school. Is this still happening?
    Yes.
    This will go for as long as all of you still want to play, I hope.
    Thelas

26. - Top - End - #146

NecromancerGuy

@ the Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not having gotten much of a response from Simon, Elsindril signals the waitress. As she approaches, he asks, "Do you know where I can find a large dog? Preferably suitable for a Halfling to ride on. My halfling friend is having a difficult time keeping up with the rest of us. I've looked at the ones over at the trading post, and their simply unsuitable. Perhaps a nearby farm."

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vampyre View Post
    @ the Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not having gotten much of a response from Simon, Elsindril signals the waitress. As she approaches, he asks, "Do you know where I can find a large dog? Preferably suitable for a Halfling to ride on. My halfling friend is having a difficult time keeping up with the rest of us. I've looked at the ones over at the trading post, and their simply unsuitable. Perhaps a nearby farm."
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm sorry, we don't really see much demand for riding dogs around here, so it'll be hard to find any. Did the trading post have any? All I saw there last time I was there were fighting dogs.

Thelas

28. - Top - End - #148

NecromancerGuy

@ the Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you."

Obviously, no one in this town understands, Common. I specifically said that I'd already looked at the ones at the trading post. Oh well, time to see what this Priest is like.

"You coming, Simon. We need to go speak with this priest."

Elsindril leaves the Inn, with or with out Simon, and heads over to the church.

In Church
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Elsindril enters the church, he looks around for the priest.

I hope this goes better than with the druid. I'm definitely removing this place from my list of friendly villages that I've visited. This has probably been the most unfriendly little hovel I've been to in the last eighty years. Not that too many places are all that fond of elves. But you would think that they could make it just a little bit less noticeable.

29. - Top - End - #149

@ The Inn
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yeah, sure." Simon gets up and stretches. "How did the snooping go, by the way?"

30. - Top - End - #150

NecromancerGuy

Jokes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsindril whispers to Simon, "Eh, not much. Maybe, I'm just too worried about some sort of conspiracy, but things just don't add up around here. The animals are all starved, but I don't think they've been poisoned. Should be a simple job. I hope that stupid druid appreciates how were sticking our necks out for him. After the priest it would be helpful if we could find a dog of some sort, other than the ones they're selling at the trading post. Although, I don't think we're going to have much luck on that end."