New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

The rough basics and idea for the Chanukah Chorror are up. Statting comes next, and adjusting numbers on damage to coincide with the intended CR.

The Gelt Fueled ability, btw, is not trying to insinuate any money-hunger/jewish stereotype. It's merely a "you get gelt from hitting it because it is its hit points" kind of thing.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    For that matter, the Felpine Shambler could use some preliminary critiquing, of the mechanical aspects at least. I'm still working on the lore and plot hooks.
    It looks pretty good to me. You missed the ability that the saves are based on in the Cone Bombs. It seems that Aura of Gloom should be a Supernatural ability and that Cone Bomb, Felpine Berries and Root should be Extraordinary abilities and Tree Travel probably be Spell-like.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Well, the Dryad of the Sanguine Holly is posted. Any comments would be really, really appreciated.
    I haven't checked this one closely but it looks very good. This is a dryad variant so it may not actually qualify as a "new" monster but VT is the arbiter of that.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-02 at 05:32 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I haven't checked this one closely but it looks very good. This is a dryad variant so it may not actually qualify as a "new" monster but VT is the arbiter of that.

Debby
    Huh, I hadn't thought of that.

I hope it isn't DQed.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Banned

Huh, I hadn't thought of that.

I hope it isn't DQed.
    Nope, not a problem with it, though it does bear a resemblance to a succubus, right down to its draining kiss.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Thanks VT. I'm sure that's a huge relief. I've seen critters get disqualified before (usually for not being complete) but it's always better to be sure.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It looks pretty good to me. You missed the ability that the saves are based on in the Cone Bombs. It seems that Aura of Gloom should be a Supernatural ability and that Cone Bomb, Felpine Berries and Root should be Extraordinary abilities and Tree Travel probably be Spell-like.

Debby

Whoops - you're right, I forgot to add the type tags to its abilities.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

I've had an idea, but it's more of a CN prankster that doesn't care about causing problems. Would that fit into the theme or should I make it more actively malicious?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    I've had an idea, but it's more of a CN prankster that doesn't care about causing problems. Would that fit into the theme or should I make it more actively malicious?
    Well, if I was allowed to enter furry Langoliers into a contest about eldritch abominations and abberations, you should be able to get away with an amoral prankster in a contest about evil holiday monsters.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The Christmas goose is up. Please PEACH. Thanks.

Debby

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

The Christmas goose is up. Please PEACH. Thanks.

Debby
    That monster makes me want to dress it up in a weird costume, and then call it a "silly goose."

... and then subsequently get my face burned off.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Banned

Banners! Banners! Getcha banners!
    (guaranteed to be within limits of forum guidelines)

Banner Code
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/2vvoexd][img]http://oi56.tinypic.com/143kt4l.jpg[/img][/url]

OR

[url=http://tinyurl.com/2vvoexd][img]http://oi52.tinypic.com/oqg4si.jpg[/img][/url]

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

That monster makes me want to dress it up in a weird costume, and then call it a "silly goose."

... and then subsequently get my face burned off.

I understand completely. I had originally planned on calling fire damage, "your goose is cooked" but ultimately decided against it.

Debby

13. - Top - End - #403
    Banned

I understand completely. I had originally planned on calling fire damage, "your goose is cooked" but ultimately decided against it.
    *snrk*

14. - Top - End - #404
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think I'm going to have to go make the obvious entry, as soon as I awaken. I'm hunting for my third monster competition title.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I've posted the core mechanics for the Insanity Claws. I'll finish the stat block ASAP, hopefully within 24 hours. I'll happily accept any comments, particularly on the phrasing of the abilities.

16. - Top - End - #406

G-d, do you have any idea how hard it is to find an image for a giant Hanukkah-themed monster?
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-12-03 at 11:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post
    G-d, do you have any idea how hard it is to find an image for a giant Hanukkah-themed monster?
    Strangely enough, yes.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

18. - Top - End - #408

This fellow is turning out more complicated than I expected...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Question, is it allowed to submit multiple monsters if they are technically a part of one another? Like, them having a symbiotic relationship of sorts?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #410

You're a mean one...

Anyways, I was really hoping to get a proper review of this one, I was intending to sic him on my players in a christmas one-shot.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-12-03 at 03:08 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Question, is it allowed to submit multiple monsters if they are technically a part of one another? Like, them having a symbiotic relationship of sorts?
    It's been done before as sort of a Voltron-type entry. Technically, only one of the monsters is the entrant, I believe, and the others are there as support material, like adding feats into your homebrew class.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick, hide the druids!

Here's the Goat of Sacrificial Horror, bringing Yule back to the Christmas season.

Anyone want to give it a quick PEACH?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    Quick, hide the druids!

Here's the Goat of Sacrificial Horror, bringing Yule back to the Christmas season.

Anyone want to give it a quick PEACH?
    The goat looks pretty good. Just a few minor things in no particular order...

How does it get its insight bonus to AC? There should be a special ability that allows for this.

Strangulation is listed as a special attack but there is no mention of in the abilities section below the stat block. You might want to note if there is a Reflex save and whether it negates or if it is for half damage for this ability as well. DC is 10 +1/2 creature's HD + ability modifier.

You have both the gore and the arm wreaths listed as primary attacks, however, one of these should be a secondary attack.

See here: "When a creature has more than one natural weapon, one of them (or sometimes a pair or set of them) is the primary weapon. All the creature’s remaining natural weapons are secondary. "

See also, "A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity. "

I recommend that the gore be primary and the 2 wreaths be secondary and take the -5 penalty.

Magical beasts get skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. Total skills should be 28 for the first hit die and then 7x12 for the remaining hit dice for a total of 112 skill points and that's before you add the modifiers. Your numbers are off.

You have an asterisk marking some of the feats but didn't indicate what the asterisk is for. I'm guessing you wanted to denote which book the feats are from but that information is missing.

How much does the Wreath weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    You're a mean one...

Anyways, I was really hoping to get a proper review of this one, I was intending to sic him on my players in a christmas one-shot.
    While I truly like your take on the Grinch, I note that you had previously statted up a grinch in this forum back a few years [http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=1]. Since this is a completely different version, I'll assume it doesn't violate the rules, but VT is the final arbiter on these matters as always.

In no particular order...

Organization should be: Solitary (Unique) or with Max.

The save for Termite Smile is probably Con based but you didn't say so.

You should have the tags for the Special Abilities (Su, Sp or Ex),

Treasure should be listed especially since Mr. Grinch has a LOT of items that the PCs would love to take from him.

Mr. Grinch would probably advance by Class as a Ranger since he has Max and I could see Hoo as a favored enemy.

"Ft." is missing after 60 in Darkvision.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-04 at 12:42 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414

While I truly like your take on the Grinch, I note that you had previously statted up a grinch in this forum back a few years [http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=1]. Since this is a completely different version, I'll assume it doesn't violate the rules, but VT is the final arbiter on these matters as always.

In no particular order...

Organization should be: Solitary (Unique) or with Max.

The save for Termite Smile is probably Con based but you didn't say so.

You should have the tags for the Special Abilities (Su, Sp or Ex),

Treasure should be listed especially since Mr. Grinch has a LOT of items that the PCs would love to take from him.

Mr. Grinch would probably advance by Class as a Ranger since he has Max and I could see Hoo as a favored enemy.

"Ft." is missing after 60 in Darkvision.

Debby
    I admit, I did make a Grinch before, but that was more of an NPC than a unique monster.

I wasn't sure, really, it was a little odd.

Yes, termite smile is con-based.

Alright, I'll add in the tags momentarily.

How do you note the specific treasure? Is there a format?

Yeah, ranger was the other idea. I was thinking about that, but dire wolf would be rather weak.

I'll go fix that.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Treasure is noted as Standard, Double, or Triple plus whatever special equipment is noted in the monster entry such as weapons, armor, items, etc.

See monster entries in the SRD or Monster Manual for examples.

Debby

26. - Top - End - #416

Treasure is noted as Standard, Double, or Triple plus whatever special equipment is noted in the monster entry such as weapons, armor, items, etc.

See monster entries in the SRD or Monster Manual for examples.

Debby
    I had it as standard before. I bought Mr. Grinch's gear with the NPC gear value chart out of the SRD, so is that standard? Is it standard + the specialty gear? I've never seen an SRD monster with magic gear.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417

I had it as standard before. I bought Mr. Grinch's gear with the NPC gear value chart out of the SRD, so is that standard? Is it standard + the specialty gear? I've never seen an SRD monster with magic gear.
    Well, the Titan comes default with 'Double standard plus +4 half-plate and Gargantuan +3 Adamantine Warhammer".

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

See Demon, Balor.

Most items aren't unbalancing (although I think the MM and SRD did a disservice to some creatures in this way), but I think yours ranks in power enough to justify them in the Treasure section.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-12-04 at 09:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

The goat looks pretty good. Just a few minor things in no particular order...

How does it get its insight bonus to AC? There should be a special ability that allows for this.

Strangulation is listed as a special attack but there is no mention of in the abilities section below the stat block. You might want to note if there is a Reflex save and whether it negates or if it is for half damage for this ability as well. DC is 10 +1/2 creature's HD + ability modifier.

You have both the gore and the arm wreaths listed as primary attacks, however, one of these should be a secondary attack.

See here: "When a creature has more than one natural weapon, one of them (or sometimes a pair or set of them) is the primary weapon. All the creature’s remaining natural weapons are secondary. "

See also, "A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity. "

I recommend that the gore be primary and the 2 wreaths be secondary and take the -5 penalty.

Magical beasts get skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. Total skills should be 28 for the first hit die and then 7x12 for the remaining hit dice for a total of 112 skill points and that's before you add the modifiers. Your numbers are off.

You have an asterisk marking some of the feats but didn't indicate what the asterisk is for. I'm guessing you wanted to denote which book the feats are from but that information is missing.

How much does the Wreath weigh?

Debby
    Thank you for doing this so quickly. I'll fix the wreath arm attacks and make mention in the magical item entry that they are secondary attacks. Wreaths aren't that heavy... maybe a 1 pound or two? I'll but that down until I can be sure.

I advanced its HD to prevent the "too many powers, not enough HD" problem. I must've forgot to add the additional skills gained. Thanks.

I'll add another ability to explain the insight bonus.

As for strangulation, it is mentioned in the Wreath part of the entry. Its basically constrict. I'll change the name to better explain it, and I'll add it under the stat block and mention that its magical item grants it this power.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #420

Alright, fixed the treasure, added a mention of advancement by character class, and added a clause about multiple infestations of termite smile stacking.

So, anyone notice that I stole virtually all the abilities straight from the song? 'you're as cuddly as a cactus' 'You've got termites in your smile' 'the three words that best describe you are as follows and I quote: Stink, Stank, Stunk.' 'You're a crooked jerky jockey and you drive a crooked hoss'
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-12-04 at 01:12 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show