New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread III

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    Just a quick question:

As I'm going through the stat block of my draft entry, I'm noticing that many creatures (particularly animals) have many more skill points than their Hit Die, Type, stats, and racial bonuses would give them.

Can someone explain this to me, please? Can we just give creatures more skill points and/or unexplained bonuses as we desire?
    Bonuses are not the same as skill points. Animals get a lot of racial bonuses for a lot of skills, especially hide/move silently. Those bonuses are not from skills.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ok, I forgot to take some size modifiers into account, but I still come up with cats and lizards (as examples), having 4 more skill points (after ALL bonuses have been subracted -- size, racial, stat, feat, etc -- AND all skill points have been subracted) than they should have. Specifically, +2 to Listen and +2 to Spot.

Unless I'm still missing something...
    Last edited by Melayl; 2011-01-06 at 10:45 PM.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I forgot to take some size modifiers into account, but I still come up with cats and lizards (as examples), having 4 more skill points (after ALL bonuses have been subracted -- size, racial, stat, feat, etc -- AND all skill points have been subracted) than they should have. Specifically, +2 to Listen and +2 to Spot.

Unless I'm still missing something...
    The cat has 4 skill points. All of them are spent on Listen and Spot. Hide is arbitrarily high because it is taking the +8 circumstance bonus from tall grass into account, and assuming that the cat is already in tall grass.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-01-06 at 10:52 PM.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #574
    Banned

For those wondering, will go over the other entries soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Or, as long as the prey is MORE defensive, it it ok for the predator to be basically immune to the prey's abilities?
    Let's go with that.

The dryad of the sanguine holly functions best when it grapples an opponent and drinks their blood. That is a very defined difference from the original, who had almost no grappling capability at all.
    That's where the succubus part comes in

It'd also be fun to see Giving, one of the Seven Heavenly Virtues I made, simply sit there and let her take of him until she explodes.

You know, that was an angle I really didn't think about when I was creating, but now that you say it it makes perfect sense. He's literally rotten to the core.
    I think that fact means you are mentally healthy. Unfortunately that was the first angle that came to my mind.

Can someone explain this to me, please? Can we just give creatures more skill points and/or unexplained bonuses as we desire?
    Basically as Unosarta says. Also keep in mind a number of creatures are off here and there. Some blatantly. Makes you wonder how they got passed.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    That's where the succubus part comes in

It'd also be fun to see Giving, one of the Seven Heavenly Virtues I made, simply sit there and let her take of him until she explodes.
    I can just imagine the little bits of dryad and blood flying everywhere, while a serene virtue (demigod?) floats past, another good deed done. I imagine a heavenly chorus of floating spirits/angels following him around, singing a praise for every good deed done.

Basically as Unosarta says. Also keep in mind a number of creatures are off here and there. Some blatantly. Makes you wonder how they got passed.
    The real problem lies in Wizards of the Coast. They released the SRD in a word document form, so all of the crunch of the monsters on that site remains fairly intact. All the site did was format it, and I doubt they would do anything really major to any crunch. Whoever edited the original SRD (before it was released) deserves a swift kick to the groin area, though.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #576

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    The cat has 4 skill points. All of them are spent on Listen and Spot. Hide is arbitrarily high because it is taking the +8 circumstance bonus from tall grass into account, and assuming that the cat is already in tall grass.
    Perhaps my math was off...

Indeed it does.

The real problem lies in Wizards of the Coast. They released the SRD in a word document form, so all of the crunch of the monsters on that site remains fairly intact. All the site did was format it, and I doubt they would do anything really major to any crunch. Whoever edited the original SRD (before it was released) deserves a swift kick to the groin area, though.
    Yeah, I thought some of them might be typos, but you never know.

Thanks, both of you.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reach Out Australia

7. - Top - End - #577
    Firbolg in the Playground

One of the big things that concerns me here is that my creation is pretty heavily focused on fire damage, and that PCs would just be able to get a ring of fire immunity or whatever and just go to town on 'im.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

I finally got the dang image uploaded. I am going to add it to my entry now. >_>

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #579
    Banned

Btw, still going to get to the rest of the critiques, but power been going out off an on all day due to 40 mph winds knocking trees on the power lines.

10. - Top - End - #580

Ladies and gentlemen, the Champion of Krav, for your viewing pleasure.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

I just remembered that one of my projects on the drawing-board was, in fact, fluffed as being created to kill a unique celestial. If I can get back to the computer it is on, I might be able to post it in THIS thread, and if anyone wants to partner with me, then we could do that (unless VT really wants me cluttering up the competition threat with what might be an unpaired post).

EDIT: Actually, I can remember enough about the celestial that it might help if I state it here so people would know what they would have to design to.
    His/her main schtick for MY purposes (feel free to add others) is that (s)he can turn into a swarm of 1 hp dragon-flies and beetles and such... turning back is a very slow process, but only requires ONE of the insects to survive. Did I mention that the insects all have his/her full saving throws, maybe SR, and gain definitely gain Evasion? Served as a scout in the Blood-war, because even if an entire region was impassable to [Teleportation] effects (s)he could be reasonable sure of making it back alive.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-01-08 at 05:00 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Banned

Well, all I can say is I'll get to post my critiques when weather permits. Power was out half the day from more blown over trees. Never seen wind like this for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I just remembered that one of my projects on the drawing-board was, in fact, fluffed as being created to kill a unique celestial. If I can get back to the computer it is on, I might be able to post it in THIS thread, and if anyone wants to partner with me, then we could do that (unless VT really wants me cluttering up the competition threat with what might be an unpaired post).

EDIT: Actually, I can remember enough about the celestial that it might help
    That sounds fun, but remember your partner is supposed to be in charge of the other one. We don't need backseat homebrewers

13. - Top - End - #583

Well, all I can say is I'll get to post my critiques when weather permits. Power was out half the day from more blown over trees. Never seen wind like this for so long.
    I can tell you're not from my neck of the woods. Sustained 40 mile per hour wind is not considered all that windy here (unless there is snow to be blown around). Sustained 70 mile per hour wind is considered pretty windy here.

Hrmm... makes me want to brew a monster that creates massive wind storms...
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reach Out Australia

14. - Top - End - #584
    Banned

I can tell you're not from my neck of the woods. Sustained 40 mile per hour wind is not considered all that windy here (unless there is snow to be blown around). Sustained 70 mile per hour wind is considered pretty windy here.
    Is your neck of the woods surrounded by actual woods?

This isn't across the prairies here, this is 'in' the woods, blowing trees over all across the state's power lines.

Edit: Waaait a sec. 70 mph? Where outside the arctics do you get sustained 70 mph winds? I wasn't aware of sustained hurricanes, which is what that speed literally is.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-08 at 10:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585

Not even a single comment upon my lovely firebird? I am saddened.

For those who are interested, the idea for the bird itself came from this (You might wanna turn up the sound to hear it right).
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586

PirateGuy

Cyclones in Australia get that strong and stronger and can last a couple of days on the coast or weeks off the coast. A cyclone at 70 mph is classified as a category 3. The largest we get are classed as category 5 and have winds double that speed. Needless to say category 5 cyclones demolish cities.

17. - Top - End - #587

Is your neck of the woods surrounded by actual woods?

This isn't across the prairies here, this is 'in' the woods, blowing trees over all across the state's power lines.

Edit: Waaait a sec. 70 mph? Where outside the arctics do you get sustained 70 mph winds? I wasn't aware of sustained hurricanes, which is what that speed literally is.
    Not surrounded by woods, no. Mostly surrounded by prairie. And we don't often get sustained winds of 70 mph. During some thunderstorms, however, we'll get them for 3-4 hours. Gusts during those will reach 100 mph occasionally.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reach Out Australia

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

So are you going to give any feedback on the other Christmas contest entries, Tribble? It would be nice to get some on my entry... ^^;
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

19. - Top - End - #589
    Banned

Btw, still going to get to the rest of the critiques, but power been going out off an on all day due to 40 mph winds knocking trees on the power lines.
    That was just the start. Now I'm snowed in and knocking things down and causing my power to go out. Will do what I can as weather permits.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Soldier of Misfortune is up and ready for some PEACHing. Did I miss anything?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Misfortune
    Rejuvenation (Su): It is difficult to destroy a solider of misfortune through simple combat.

Other than the spelling error, this looks really good. Saves, AC, BAB, abilities. One question I have; why exactly is the longsword defined as rusty? I mean, does it really provide any in game stuff (is the Red Ache tied directly to it being rusty?) Also, because it is rusty, does that mean that it is susceptible to Rusting Grasp and other such spells? Are the Soldiers of Misfortune only able to use longswords?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592

*cracks knuckles* Let's break it down, then.

Soldier of Misfortune, from the top:

That AC is kinda low. Perhaps throw on a little NA from the bodies being all preserved and hardened, or a wooden shield perhaps?

I thought attack and damage were off, but then I noticed the feats. Carry on.

Other than that, the only thing that sticks out at me is that you mention 'widow's weed' elsewhere, but you call it 'willow weed' in the nocturnal ability.

I like the fluff, I think it's interesting to see an undead in a predator/prey competition, and I'm looking forward to seeing Widow's Weed

Know what? While I'm at it, I'll take a crack at the Maltressor.
    From the top:

Your AC format is odd. It should be 23 (+7 Dex, +4 size, +2 Natural) No problems with the math, though.

Attack bonus is a bit off. +5 BaB, +4 Size, -5 str = +4, not +1, and you should add 'melee' between the attack bonus and the damage.

You should mention melee touch attack in the touch of possession ability. Also, this sounds unpleasant. Can it enter from any body part? Like, say it was hiding in your shoe. Could it go through the foot and all the way up the the brain? Or does it have to be able to reach of the target's head somehow? If you picked one of these things up with a well-gloved hand, could it get still get into you? Also, it implies that the maltressor can remain in the brain, trying again every 1d4 rounds if the target passes the save. Is there a way to kill it/remove it?

Dependency needs a fortitude DC. Also, why do you require saves every minute. If they pass a save after failing one, are they not dependent for the next minute? I think it would be simpler to say they must make a fortitude save, and if they pass it, they must make another save a minute later and so on. Once the thing is removed (You never specify actually how to remove the thing), they take the damage each round for one minute or until they receive 10 points of healing or DC 20 heal check.

Also, if you're not going to fill out the optional bits, why not just remove them from the entry?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Thanks for the feedback on the soldier of misfortune. I totally forgot about a shield bonus (there's no reason they wouldn't have one) will add that in.

The willow is a typo and I'll fix it. The plant is a widow's weed.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

24. - Top - End - #594

No problem didn't take long.

Though, I would certainly be similarly appreciative were someone were to, say, perhaps provide a similar review of my entry... *looks innocently to the side*
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Soldier of Misfortune is up and ready for some PEACHing. Did I miss anything?

Debby
    I think it looks pretty cool. especially like the aura of unluck, and it has given me a couple new ideas for the plant. I'll have it up either later today or tomorrow, but I'll probably e-mail you first to get your opinion.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Your AC format is odd. It should be 23 (+7 Dex, +4 size, +2 Natural) No problems with the math, though.
    Yeah, the format on the Maltressor is the one that I normally use, and is mostly easier than any other format, and the one I use the most often.

Attack bonus is a bit off. +5 BaB, +4 Size, -5 str = +4, not +1, and you should add 'melee' between the attack bonus and the damage.
    Forgot the size modifier. Also, it is not -5 for Strength, that would mean that the Strength score was 0 or -1. 2-10= -8. -8/2= -4.

You should mention melee touch attack in the touch of possession ability. Also, this sounds unpleasant. Can it enter from any body part? Like, say it was hiding in your shoe. Could it go through the foot and all the way up the the brain? Or does it have to be able to reach of the target's head somehow? If you picked one of these things up with a well-gloved hand, could it get still get into you? Also, it implies that the maltressor can remain in the brain, trying again every 1d4 rounds if the target passes the save. Is there a way to kill it/remove it?
    Any body part. The Touch of Possession is more like the maltressor becoming a form of metaphysical energy and traveling into the target's psyche. I probably forgot it, but the maltressor becomes expelled when the target dies or hits half hit points, or receives a DC 30 heal check. If the target makes the will save, they get control over their body for 1d4 rounds, and then they must make the Will save again. I am thinking if they make the save 3 rounds in a row, then the maltressor is instantly expelled. The partner monster is kind of screwed in this case, because the maltressor specifically hunts it, since it is the largest organism in the vicinity of the habitat of the maltressor. Because of this, the maltressor is not expelled unless the host is killed, and they constantly battle for supremacy within the hosts body.

Dependency needs a fortitude DC. Also, why do you require saves every minute. If they pass a save after failing one, are they not dependent for the next minute? I think it would be simpler to say they must make a fortitude save, and if they pass it, they must make another save a minute later and so on. Once the thing is removed (You never specify actually how to remove the thing), they take the damage each round for one minute or until they receive 10 points of healing or DC 20 heal check.
    Those fortitude saves are kind of badly worded and not intended. Once the maltressor is removed, the target goes into withdrawal from the neurotoxin, and must make a fortitude save or take 7d6 damage every round for a minute. After that, they are no longer dependent upon the neurotoxin. During that time, someone can make a DC 20 heal check or heal them for 10 points of damage and stop the neurotoxin. I will update the description.

Also, if you're not going to fill out the optional bits, why not just remove them from the entry?
    Because I intend to fill them out later, and would like to keep them for reference?

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597

Responses in Bold
    Yeah, the format on the Maltressor is the one that I normally use, and is mostly easier than any other format, and the one I use the most often.

Still, it's not standard, so I'm not sure if there's points off or something.

Forgot the size modifier. Also, it is not -5 for Strength, that would mean that the Strength score was 0 or -1. 2-10= -8. -8/2= -4.

Well, actually, in the SRD, it says a that 1 in an ability score is a -5 mod. Low scores are slightly awkward like that.

Any body part. The Touch of Possession is more like the maltressor becoming a form of metaphysical energy and traveling into the target's psyche. I probably forgot it, but the maltressor becomes expelled when the target dies or hits half hit points, or receives a DC 30 heal check. If the target makes the will save, they get control over their body for 1d4 rounds, and then they must make the Will save again. I am thinking if they make the save 3 rounds in a row, then the maltressor is instantly expelled. The partner monster is kind of screwed in this case, because the maltressor specifically hunts it, since it is the largest organism in the vicinity of the habitat of the maltressor. Because of this, the maltressor is not expelled unless the host is killed, and they constantly battle for supremacy within the hosts body.

Okay, that works. You're going to have to clarify all this in the entry, but I see no issue once you've got it settled. Oh, can the maltressor still manifest it's psionic abilities while dominating a creature? Or make the monster manifest for it?

Those fortitude saves are kind of badly worded and not intended. Once the maltressor is removed, the target goes into withdrawal from the neurotoxin, and must make a fortitude save or take 7d6 damage every round for a minute. After that, they are no longer dependent upon the neurotoxin. During that time, someone can make a DC 20 heal check or heal them for 10 points of damage and stop the neurotoxin. I will update the description.

Ahh, okay. I get it. If they make the save, does the once/round for a minute thing end prematurely?

Because I intend to fill them out later, and would like to keep them for reference?

Makes sense, just checking.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Still, it's not standard, so I'm not sure if there's points off or something.
    It is exactly the same as the other format, but with actual arithmetic.

Well, actually, in the SRD, it says a that 1 in an ability score is a -5 mod. Low scores are slightly awkward like that.
    Huh. You learn something new every day.

Okay, that works. You're going to have to clarify all this in the entry, but I see no issue once you've got it settled. Oh, can the maltressor still manifest it's psionic abilities while dominating a creature? Or make the monster manifest for it?
    Yes, the maltressor can. It is still limited to the normal number of actions, so it can't, say, manifest a power and attack in the same round.

Ahh, okay. I get it. If they make the save, does the once/round for a minute thing end prematurely?
    Currently, the ability is more like a "make a save or take 7d6 damage per round until someone heals you or a minute is up."

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Other than the spelling error, this looks really good. Saves, AC, BAB, abilities. One question I have; why exactly is the longsword defined as rusty? I mean, does it really provide any in game stuff (is the Red Ache tied directly to it being rusty?) Also, because it is rusty, does that mean that it is susceptible to Rusting Grasp and other such spells? Are the Soldiers of Misfortune only able to use longswords?
    The reason for the rusty sword was mostly flavor. It's not really worth having and also carries disease. Originally, the idea was that they carried tetanus, but red ache fit the bill. In the text it also says that any wooden weapons would be broken and used as clubs. I suppose I could make them proficient with all simple weapons and shield to clarify that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I think it looks pretty cool. especially like the aura of unluck, and it has given me a couple new ideas for the plant. I'll have it up either later today or tomorrow, but I'll probably e-mail you first to get your opinion.
    I'm glad you liked the soldier of misfortune. I edited it to clarify everything. I hope this makes it easier. I look forward to seeing what you do with the widow's weed.

Debby
    P.S. Fixed double post
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-12 at 10:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The reason for the rusty sword was mostly flavor. It's not really worth having and also carries disease. Originally, the idea was that they carried tetanus, but red ache fit the bill. In the text it also says that any wooden weapons would be broken and used as clubs. I suppose I could make them proficient with all simple weapons and shield to clarify that.

Debby
    I was just wondering if there was a "Rusty" enhancement that I was missing, or something. Maybe any metallic weapon they wield becomes rusty, to show the wear that they put upon a weapon even by proximity. It would probably be more fluff than an actual ability, but it could add some flavor to the monster.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show