New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Nautical-themed DnD[3.5]

Okay, need some help. I want to make a swashbuckling pirate, but I don't know a good class/race or feats! Any help is desired.

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Nautical-themed DnD[3.5]

Base classes:
    Rogue
    Factotum
    Swashbuckler
    otoh, Swashbuckler sucks. Maybe Swordsage?

PrCs:
    Legendary Captain
    Dread Pirate

Also, go buy Stormwrack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

We start at level 5. I was thinking of going Rogue. SHould I do all 5 levels of Rogue, or what?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Rogue/Swashbuckler, with the Daring Outlaw feat that allows Swashbuckler and Rogue levels to stack when computing Sneak Attack or Grace, might be fun. You can pick whichever you like to specialize in melee vs. skill monkey and still get excellent results.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Swashbuckler is pretty poor at swashing bucklers, seeing as they don't gain the proficiency.

Warblade and swordsage (both ToB) both make for good lightly armoured, mobile and skilled characters.

Multiclassing is an option too. Rogue 2/warblade 3 with Able Learner and Craven might work.

Of races: humans are always good. If you want, you can trade the extra feat for ability to breathe both water and air and swim speed with Aventi (who still get bonus skill points, I seem to recall).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Swashbuckler is mostly good for only three levels, until you get Insightful Strike. Combining that with Warblade is a good option, since there's Int-synergy.

Swashbuckler/Rogue is also decent, with Daring Outlaw.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, Swashbuckler/Rogue/Swordsage (2-3 SS levels really adds to your swashbuckling capabilities with swift action jumps, hits with both weapons, sense motive-based AC and all that) is the archetypal "Sneaky Warrior".

Warblade makes for a decent option too, particularly with a Diamond Mind focus, and straight Swordsage works too. It is, after all, more about which skills you want; Rogue/SS gets more and has better SA. SA Thug Fighter is also fairly decent for that job.

Really, ToB adds a lot to Swashbuckling; with it one-handing is even somewhat viable (tho most of these builds really want two-weapon fighting).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.