New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The threatening treat thread that thwarted twenty ten ton tunas (Random Banter #1

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    It's perfectly fine to headbutt in a fist fight. The only rules for a fist fight are no weapons, and no shots to genitalia, unless your loosing really badly, and have to run away.
    Those are my rules for sparring. I'm not sure what that says about me and fights, though it probably explains why I can never get anyone to spar with me.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The thread that Rawhide's having entirely too much fun changing the title of (RB

That's what, the fifth time you changed the title today Rawhide?
    I pity the person who, when rereading old RBs stumbles across this thread and its multitudinous names.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #303

Default Re: The threatening treat thread that thwarted twenty ten ton tunas (Random Banter #1

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    It's perfectly fine to headbutt in a fist fight. The only rules for a fist fight are no weapons, and no shots to genitalia, unless your loosing really badly, and have to run away.
    That's a bit loose, ah? No teeth, no snapping bones, to be fair, don't you think?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The thread that Rawhide's having entirely too much fun changing the title of (RB

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Do you think the electric piano is being played and recorded, or simply programmed in? I wouldn't put it past a Japanese player to be able to handle those whip-fast chords.
    It was played and recorded, I believe. Can't remember where I heard someone say it, but I bought it, so I'm giving my past self the benefit of the doubt.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Oh dear. But don't you worry my bird, I still have an undying affection for every one of Enid Blyton's mysteries and school books. Been reading them since I was six and they're still as enioyable as ever.
    Maybe it's the lashings of ginger beer, or the nostalgia, but I'm unretentant in my love for the wonderful Enid Blyton.
    Yes. See? Childhood.

*sues DeeRee*
    I can understand the first three and even the fourth. Given anything I'd probably reread the first three - the third was bloody good, but the later ones angered me.
    I love, love, loved three. Certainly a favorite.

The most memorable part of book the fifth was that a girl got spots and I genuinely forgot everything that happened in book the sixth within five minutes of closing the book for the first time.
    <.< After reading it cover to cover on the day of its UK release in a tad over five hours. >.>
    And book the sixth was meant to be shocking!
    I actually understand this, because the first time I read each book I was never sure whether I like it that much. There's simply too much in each book, it's like my brain jams. But upon re-reading I discover little details and notice how funny they are.

And of course part of the reason I enjoy them is remembering my childhood.

Heh. Understand that I started reading them before the third book came out, in early 1999. The release of #4 in 2000 was exciting but not THAT big a deal, but then there were three years between it and #5 in which I reread the series over. And over. And over. And so by the time 5 and 6 and 7 arrived I knew every little knobbly detail and the best fun of it really was waiting for the next book, making predictions and working out the plot.

I suppose you haven't read 7? Ah well, I'll spoil it for you sort of. We made some crazy predictions, some of which were true and some of which turned out to be off-mark My friends and I worked out that Snape killed Dumbledore on his own orders, and that he was good all along, that he went over to Dumbledore because he was in love with Harry's mother and couldn't stand it when he found out she was going to be killed; we worked out that RAB was Regulus Black and that the locket Harry, Ginny, and the rest found in Grimmauld place was a Horcrux; we worked out partially several of the shocking events revealed in book seven, though there's stuff in there we couldn't possibly predict.

Anyway, the anticipation was part of what we loved about it, and with that anticipation came re-reading and memorizing bits and suchlike.

And then it was over.

And I still have to re-read them every summer to remember. Reading them all in six days was an experience like no other, I've never done it so close together before and it was emotional and suchlike. There are some books that you only really appreciate when you've assimilated them into your consciousness.

Yes . . . .

I am Borg.

6. - Top - End - #306

I have been uninformed!
    What?
    Channel?
    Also, which story?
    Modernisation, moving Sherlock Holmes into the 21st century, quite interesting. BBC1, alternatively, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh
    Written by Steven Moffat, co-created by Mark Gatiss, who also makes an appearance in it.

I can understand the first three and even the fourth. Given anything I'd probably reread the first three - the third was bloody good, but the later ones angered me.

The most memorable part of book the fifth was that a girl got spots and I genuinely forgot everything that happened in book the sixth within five minutes of closing the book for the first time.
    <.< After reading it cover to cover on the day of its UK release in a tad over five hours. >.>
    And book the sixth was meant to be shocking!
    I'll just step in at this point and say I also like all the Harry Potter books. Not as much as DeeRee, once the initial excitement had worn off a bit I wouldn't necessarily consider them favourites, haven't reread them in a while and left them here when I moved out. But I do like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I actually understand this, because the first time I read each book I was never sure whether I like it that much. There's simply too much in each book, it's like my brain jams. But upon re-reading I discover little details and notice how funny they are.
    Personally, I don't feel there's too much in each book. I took it all in well enough.

I reread the series over. And over. And over. And so by the time 5 and 6 and 7 arrived I knew every little knobbly detail and the best fun of it really was waiting for the next book, making predictions and working out the plot.
    See, I kind of did this, but I memorise details of books I've read rather rapidly. As in, I'll remember a decent level of detail after one reading, and retain the memories for years.

we worked out that RAB was Regulus Black
    That one was obvious.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-07-25 at 09:11 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If emotional experiences were not repeatable, method acting would be naught.
    Method Acting?
    Okay, confession here m'dear: I LOVE Harry Potter.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia effect, given that I started reading them when I was eight years old and have re-read all that were extant at the time at least once every year since then.
    Gadzooks. I always forget just how much of a babby you are. 8 years old. Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    As opposed to your foot, which is what you usually punch with.
    No, that's your beard, silly!
    You are a crude, crude man.
    You try getting cooped up in a house with nothing but men and cats sometime.

Someone's gotta remind you that there's more to life than dancing with Thufir and books. There's torturing him to death via overloading him with Gilbert and Sullivan too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I'm only gone for 4 days at my mission trip and we get a new RB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

9. - Top - End - #309

Method Acting?
    Acting by recalling a time in your life when you felt the emotion you're trying to act.
    i.e. Acting by repeating an emotional experience.

Someone's gotta remind you that there's more to life than dancing with Thufir and books. There's torturing him to death via overloading him with Gilbert and Sullivan too.
    Overloading me with Gilbert and Sullivan?
    Aheh.
    Aheheheh.
    *Can't be bothered to write out a huge laugh. Just imagine it. Bold, italics, capitals, going on for ages.*
    Firstly, I'm fairly certain no-one could overload me with Gilbert and Sullivan.
    2, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by overload in this context but I'm sceptical as to whether it could be done at all.
    C, Curly definitely couldn't overload me with Gilbert and Sullivan as I know more about it than she does.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #310

Yes. See? Childhood.
    Aaaah, childhood. When everything was fun.
    Can't believe I'm going to be a 'grownup' next year.

I love, love, loved three. Certainly a favorite.
    It's the one I'd reread.
    The problem now is that I think I will read them. Like when I did my LotR marathon over Christmas.
    And here I was going to do a H2G2 read.
    Stupid Potter.

No, you don't understand.
    I couldn't remember anything. Iust that the main characters were in it, and everything else I knew from the previous books.
    That had never happened to me before. This is a girl who, when she was ten, read cover to cover the omnibus version of LotR including all the appendices. Even the ones on Quenya! In a week.
    It hasn't happened since. I can normally remember things like the plot, what happened, but with Six it was:
    *shuts book*
    "Wait. What iust happened?
    "No really, I iust read a book and I remember nothing."
    It was scary.

And yet, a re-read will happen. Except I don't own Book the Seventh and don't plan on buying it either.

And of course part of the reason I enjoy them is remembering my childhood.

Heh. Understand that I started reading them before the third book came out, in early 1999. The release of #4 in 2000 was exciting but not THAT big a deal, but then there were three years between it and #5 in which I reread the series over. And over. And over. And so by the time 5 and 6 and 7 arrived I knew every little knobbly detail and the best fun of it really was waiting for the next book, making predictions and working out the plot.

I suppose you haven't read 7? Ah well, I'll spoil it for you sort of. We made some crazy predictions, some of which were true and some of which turned out to be off-mark My friends and I worked out that Snape killed Dumbledore on his own orders, and that he was good all along, that he went over to Dumbledore because he was in love with Harry's mother and couldn't stand it when he found out she was going to be killed; we worked out that RAB was Regulus Black and that the locket Harry, Ginny, and the rest found in Grimmauld place was a Horcrux; we worked out partially several of the shocking events revealed in book seven, though there's stuff in there we couldn't possibly predict.

Anyway, the anticipation was part of what we loved about it, and with that anticipation came re-reading and memorizing bits and suchlike.

And then it was over.

And I still have to re-read them every summer to remember. Reading them all in six days was an experience like no other, I've never done it so close together before and it was emotional and suchlike.
    I was about ten, I think. Got the first three all in a bundle for Christmas. Loved them, became disillusioned with them.
    But I've heard about the fanbase. Figured practically everything out they did.

There are some books that you only really appreciate when you've assimilated them into your consciousness.

Yes . . . .

I am Borg.
    I'd quote that if I had space.
    "I am DeeRee . . . of Borg. Resistance . . . is futile. Your life, as it has been . . . is over. From this time forward . . . you will service us . . . "
    "Mr. Worf . . . fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Modernisation, moving Sherlock Holmes into the 21st century, quite interesting. BBC1, alternatively, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh
    Written by Steven Moffat, co-created by Mark Gatiss, who also makes an appearance in it.
    I genuinely don't know how to feel about this.
    Genuinely.
    It looks to be good. It's Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss. But.

I'll just step in at this point and say I also like all the Harry Potter books. Not as much as DeeRee, once the initial excitement had worn off a bit I wouldn't necessarily consider them favourites, haven't reread them in a while and left them here when I moved out. But I do like them.
    They're good. Because they got children reading.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #311

NecromancerGuy

Acting by recalling a time in your life when you felt the emotion you're trying to act.
    i.e. Acting by repeating an emotional experience.
    Weird. I wonder what that has to do with the depictions of it having to do with inflicting grievous bodily injury onto one's self when it's seen in parody.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #312

"Wait. What iust happened?
    "No really, I iust read a book and I remember nothing."
    It was scary.

I genuinely don't know how to feel about this.
    Genuinely.
    It looks to be good. It's Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss. But.
    Well, it prompted me to wander around acting eccentric for a while. That's always good.
    The way Sherlock is written is a bit reminiscent of the Doctor, which is slightly annoying because you want the character to be distinct, but there are enough differences. And actually it has struck me that you could imagine the Doctor meeting Conan Doyle and turning out to be the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes.

@^: I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-07-25 at 09:31 PM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Regarding Harry Potter:

I pretty much enjoyed the series until the 7th book. The final book was, for me, a real let down. Sure the scenes with Snape in were emotional, and the second half was action packed, but the first half dragged far too much. Yes, characterisation is important, but Rowling had six prequels to do that. That's not what annoyed me though.

What annoyed me was the Eldar Wand.

The single most crucial part of the magickal world (wandlore) to the plot is covered by the scene in Ollivander's in book 1 and, IIRC in a couple of scenes elsewhere, where one of them breaks their wand and has to use Hermione's.

Not to mention this whole business of wandlore is interesting. It would have been great to have been fed bits and pieces of it throughout the series, as well as the myth of the Eldar Wand, so that by time Snape kills Dumbledore we've figured out that Dumbledore had the Eldar Wand and b) can spend more time in the seventh book keeping track of it.

14. - Top - End - #314

Firstly, it's the Elder Wand. Eldar are from Warhammer 40K I believe.

Secondly,

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    Not to mention this whole business of wandlore is interesting.
    Oh hell yes. If I were a HP wizard, I would want so much to learn about wandlore.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #315

Exactly! And consider how troubling this is for the Goddess of the Written Word who, even in real life as friends asking her what happened in books I've not read for over a year and given a stupidly detailed and accurate account of what happened.
    Including grammatical and spelling mistakes.
    And, if in a series, then proceed to give an analysis of foreshadowing, comparisons and the particular strengths and weaknesses not iust of the novel in question, but of the series in general. And then do the same re: the entirety of the author's work.

Well, it prompted me to wander around acting eccentric for a while. That's always good.
    Another point in its favour then.

The way Sherlock is written is a bit reminiscent of the Doctor, which is slightly annoying because you want the character to be distinct, but there are enough differences. And actually it has struck me that you could imagine the Doctor meeting Conan Doyle and turning out to be the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes.
    This demands a fic. Wonder if there're any Doctor Who/Sherlock Holmes crossovers.
    I know there's a Sherlock Holmes/Batman one. And I've read a fanfic crossover of the Discworld and Sherlock Holmes.
    (Vetinari makes an extremely good Sherlock Holmes - it's a long story)
    It poses many good opportunities.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    That's a bit loose, ah? No teeth, no snapping bones, to be fair, don't you think?
    That depends on who your in a fist fight with. Your buddy? No teeth, No permanent injury. A bar fight? Teeth are OK. For your life? Anything is cool (except as stated previously. You should NEVER escalate, and both of those certainly are doing that.)

Go Tigers!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Weird. I wonder what that has to do with the depictions of it having to do with inflicting grievous bodily injury onto one's self when it's seen in parody.
    It is super intense, but neurotic narcissistic weirdos are attracted to the theatre and delving into intense emotional memories in the studio hothouse is only going to make that worse. In well-adjusted mature people the only danger is ART.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Banned

Shame Bacon got banned. He goes to my school and was the one who told me to join ...

19. - Top - End - #319

(Vetinari makes an extremely good Sherlock Holmes - it's a long story)
    Well, he would. I mean, the knowledge of the city he displays in solving the issue of that mis-addressed letter in Making Money is very Holmesian, and in general he does the same sort of thing of observing everything and making spookily accurate deductions.
    Of course, also, for all that he questions the method of Holmesian deduction, Vimes' ability to identify any location in the city by the cobblestones is likewise very Holmesian.

It is super intense, but neurotic narcissistic weirdos are attracted to the theatre and delving into intense emotional memories in the studio hothouse is only going to make that worse. In well-adjusted mature people the only danger is ART.
    I'm now imagining some sort of sign. WARNING: THIS BUILDING MAY CONTAIN ART.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-07-25 at 09:50 PM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

Curly, isn't it like... 5 am your time?

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

once the initial excitement had worn off a bit I wouldn't necessarily consider them favourites
    That's what I thought too. Then I reread them.

Personally, I don't feel there's too much in each book. I took it all in well enough.
    That's what I thought too. Then I reread them.

And yet, a re-read will happen. Except I don't own Book the Seventh and don't plan on buying it either.
    Borrow then I guess.

[QUOTE=CurlyKitGirl;9003246]"I am DeeRee . . . of Borg. Resistance . . . is futile. Your life, as it has been . . . is over. From this time forward . . . you will service us . . . "
    "Mr. Worf . . . fire."

I pretty much enjoyed the series until the 7th book. The final book was, for me, a real let down. Sure the scenes with Snape in were emotional, and the second half was action packed, but the first half dragged far too much. Yes, characterisation is important, but Rowling had six prequels to do that.
    That's what I thought too. Until I reread it.

The single most crucial part of the magickal world (wandlore) to the plot is covered by the scene in Ollivander's in book 1 and, IIRC in a couple of scenes elsewhere, where one of them breaks their wand and has to use Hermione's.

Not to mention this whole business of wandlore is interesting. It would have been great to have been fed bits and pieces of it throughout the series, as well as the myth of the Eldar Wand, so that by time Snape kills Dumbledore we've figured out that Dumbledore had the Eldar Wand and b) can spend more time in the seventh book keeping track of it.
    That is a good point. Though there is quite a bit of wandlore involving the twin cores of Harry's and Voldemort's wands from Goblet of Fire on - it gets mixed up in talk of Harry's mum's sacrifice and parseltongue and sharing minds, but it's there.

Hmm. But yes. She should have mentioned the Elder Wand in an earlier book. Still, it's not exactly common knowledge . . . Ollivander and Dumbledore appear to be the only people Harry has been in contact with who know about it being real prior to book seven, and he sees Ollivander only in book one and book four, and Dumbledore wouldn't exactly be keen to share the information, would he? He doesn't want Harry knowing anything about the Hallows. That's a limitation of reading a book from Harry's perspective.

Still I bet she could've worked in the story of the three brothers somewhere in an earlier book. Yes indeedy.

My only real personal technical beef is that she does a lot of "he was watching," "he was walking", "she was cutting" and that's a little sloppy. Sometimes you need it but a lot of times you can just say "he watched", "he walked", and "she cut", even if they're simultaneous actions.

Still, that's just a pet peeve, and it doesn't really distract unless I'm in Editor Mode.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by GFA View Post
    Shame Bacon got banned. He goes to my school and was the one who told me to join ...
    One of the rules on this forum is we don't talk about banned people. Just a friendly warning.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

23. - Top - End - #323

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    4. I blame the fact I'm still up on Curly for being so interesting.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

Is Steve Carrel actually funny?

25. - Top - End - #325

NecromancerGuy

^: No, not really.
    Alright, just crazies mucking things up as is typical for them then, I gather.

Well, glad that's cleared up then.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-25 at 10:01 PM.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

When is the right time to go to sleep? And why isn't Steve Carrel funny? Which is better, the American or Original Office?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Banned

I'm still trying to get her to notice me. I want to talk to her about how she can possibly be the SECOND person I know with an interest in gaming and hockey. It boggles my mind that there are only the two of us in the known universe (the universe I know about is the "known universe").

EDIT: I know people who love the American "Office" but upon further inspection, neither is the show funny nor my informants reliable.
    Last edited by Superglucose; 2010-07-25 at 10:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GFA View Post
    When is the right time to go to sleep?
    When the sun starts coming up. We're in the same timezone; I'll tell you when.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

^: No, not really.
    Even Stevphen was funny, but far more because of Colbert than Carrell.

30. - Top - End - #330

Well, he would. I mean, the knowledge of the city he displays in solving the issue of that mis-addressed letter in Making Money is very Holmesian, and in general he does the same sort of thing of observing everything and making spookily accurate deductions.
    Of course, also, for all that he questions the method of Holmesian deduction, Vimes' ability to identify any location in the city by the cobblestones is likewise very Holmesian.
    I can link you if you want. Warning though: it is on ff.net. I personally cn't even remember who linked it to me, but it was a good read all told.
    Especially as poor Sherlock Holmes ends up in ANkh-Morpork.

Vetinari and Vimes ae rather Holmsian in that regard. Heh, iust thought of something.
    You know how in the new Sherlock Holmes movie Holmes deduces where he is after the blindfilded carriage ride by a baker's speciality bread glaze and the pattern of cobbles on Fleet Street?
    IN Making Money (two or three years earlier) the first letter Vetinari explains the full Holmsian way is because of a baker's speciality pastry. And Vimes of course, has repeatedly done the thing with the feet.

Parallel much?

Quote Originally Posted by Superglucose View Post
    As of writing this sentence it's five past four in the morning. Why?

Borrow then I guess.
    I suppose. Favourite Cousin should have a copy.

What Trekkie wouldn't be able to quote those two lines from one of the best episodes of all of Star Trek.

Talking about what at four in the morning?
    I blame my being up so late on the fact that I'm an insomniac. ANd it's summer holidays. And a weekend.
    And of course, the company's the maior factor too.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!