New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

In Japan, middle school is 7th to 9th grade (three years) and high school is 10th to 12th grade (also three years).
    The school year also starts in January and ends somewhere in December (summer is in the middle of the school year). This is why Japanese students get summer homework, periodic summer classes, and continued club activities.

Hope this helps.
    Because it is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nekutar made by Terry576.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    This is slightly more likely, but it still seems a little at odds with his character as presented. According to the sheet he's supposed to be a highly intelligent boy with strong curiosity about the world and excellent grades. If that's the case, why wouldn't he believe in Espers? Their existence is common knowledge and is most likely taught as part of the regular school curriculum. Also, if his love of physics is as strong as his sheet says, the idea that he's never studied the world's most renowned reality benders is rather hard to believe.

Sorry if this makes things difficult for you, but the fact is that Espers are an established part of the IC world; They're not the sort of thing that people can avoid hearing about for long.
    Okay, now I think I'm understanding how this world works. Even though it uses real world places, it's common knowledge throughout the world that the Espers exist. Did I get that right?

Also, when he thinks about the physics involved, he doesn't think about it in a mathematical sense or anything like that. Say, for example, he watches leaves blow off a tree. Sometimes, when he is alone, he will imagine in his minds eye the force of wind coming to push the leaf off the stem and float freely in the air. When an elevator door closes, he will sometimes imagine the gears turning to allow the door to slide on it's own. I say sometimes, because he doesn't do this automatically every second of everyday. Usually it's when he is either alone, or no one nearby is talking to him or otherwise distracting him in anyways. He imagines how the forces affect the things around it.

Is everything alright now?

Edit: Okay, I just put him in the wiki.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-08-25 at 06:37 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Okay, now I think I'm understanding how this world works. Even though it uses real world places, it's common knowledge throughout the world that the Espers exist. Did I get that right?
    Yes.

Also, when he thinks about the physics involved, he doesn't think about it in a mathematical sense or anything like that. Say, for example, he watches leaves blow off a tree. Sometimes, when he is alone, he will imagine in his minds eye the force of wind coming to push the leaf off the stem and float freely in the air. When an elevator door closes, he will sometimes imagine the gears turning to allow the door to slide on it's own. I say sometimes, because he doesn't do this automatically every second of everyday. Usually it's when he is either alone, or no one nearby is talking to him or otherwise distracting him in anyways. He imagines how the forces affect the things around it.
    I don't really understand what point you're trying to make here. Even if his interests are more fanciful than practical, that still doesn't explain why he would have no interest in Espers. Not that it matters if I understand it or not, of course; He's your character, so you've probably got a better grasp of his motivations than we have. These questions are only intended to give you food for thought, rather than to force you into making unwanted changes.

Is everything alright now?
    Apparently. The key thing to remember here is that, whatever your own state of knowledge about this universe, it's fine to have your character know more than you do. If you become confused about anything that's happening IC, the answers are only a quick post or two away.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-25 at 06:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks Anyr.

But for the lack of interest with him and espers... Well, is Academy City the place where all the espers are gathered? Or are they scattered throughout the world and the greatest concentration of them is in Academy City?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks Anyr.

But for the lack of interest with him and espers... Well, is Academy City the place where all the espers are gathered? Or are they scattered throughout the world and the greatest concentration of them is in Academy City?
    IIRC, almost all known Espers are found within Academy City. Their existence is public knowledge, but the actual technology and methods used to create them are jealously guarded. From what I can tell, Academy City is seen as a sort of semi-romanticised utopia by much of the outside world. Its technology is about 30 years ahead of its time, and it offers a chance at amazing power to all within its walls.

At the root I think that's the main reason why Jason's indifference seems strange: He's flying out to a place which could literally give him superpowers. So many people travel to Academy City with that hope foremost in their minds that the opposite comes across as something weird and anomalous. Again, there's nothing wrong about having a character with this attitude; It's just a case of knowing in advance that this isn't the normal IC viewpoint.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-25 at 10:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Halfling in the Playground

Okay, so barring any further questions, where ought I post Rose?
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Pfeh, some utopia. Their vending machines suck.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rose View Post
    Okay, so barring any further questions, where ought I post Rose?
    here.

9. - Top - End - #489

?fillertext

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

IIRC, almost all known Espers are found within Academy City.
    Minor correction, aside from gemstones, ALL espers are at least 'awakened' to their abilities within Academy City. One of it's very biggest secrets are the specifics of the Power Curriculum Program which many countries would desperately want for themselves. That's, possibly, one of the reasons why the gemstones are so important. They are easier to detect and may even use their abilities without the program (I don't know on that second point, unsure) so by having them countries can have espers when they otherwise wouldn't or begin to develop their own Power Curriculum Programs.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

?fillertext
    Weren't you asking where to post her sheet? If not, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Minor correction, aside from gemstones, ALL espers are at least 'awakened' to their abilities within Academy City. One of it's very biggest secrets are the specifics of the Power Curriculum Program which many countries would desperately want for themselves. That's, possibly, one of the reasons why the gemstones are so important. They are easier to detect and may even use their abilities without the program (I don't know on that second point, unsure) so by having them countries can have espers when they otherwise wouldn't or begin to develop their own Power Curriculum Programs.
    Ultra secret anti-correction counter move: I did actually consider mentioning the gemstones in my post, but decided against it since they might confuse the issue. Silver was probably only wondering whether it was plausible for Jason not to have met any Espers before, after all.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-25 at 11:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492

Oh I meant where should I start RPing with her. I take it the wiki is where character sheets for this game go? How do I enter it in?

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    All of 'em

13. - Top - End - #493
    Orc in the Playground

Hello guys, just posting to say I'm sorry I haven't been active recently. Unfortunately, I have come down with a horrible disease called laziness, curable only by significant self brow-beating.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Oh I meant where should I start RPing with her. I take it the wiki is where character sheets for this game go? How do I enter it in?
    Go here: http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/characters

If you don't have one yet, Create an Account for wikidot. Once you make one, login. The password for our wiki is biribiri (or biri biri).

At the Characters page, go to the text bar near the top of the page, where it says "Enter the name of your new character here:". Do so, then click on Add.

Once you do that, you'll be at the empty Character Page for your character. Go to the bottom of the page and click on Edit, which will bring up a text template that looks like this:

[!-- 1:Image URL --]
    ====
    [!-- 2:Family name --]
    ====
    [!-- 3:Given name --]
    ====
    [!-- 4:Aliases --]
    ====
    [!-- 5:Level --]
    ====
    [!-- 6:Gender --]
    ====
    [!-- 7:Age --]
    ====
    [!-- 8:Groups --]
    ====
    [!-- 9:Description --]

And so forth. Fill in the entries, and click Save when you're done.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC, almost all known Espers are found within Academy City. Their existence is public knowledge, but the actual technology and methods used to create them are jealously guarded. From what I can tell, Academy City is seen as a sort of semi-romanticised utopia by much of the outside world. Its technology is about 30 years ahead of its time, and it offers a chance at amazing power to all within its walls.

At the root I think that's the main reason why Jason's indifference seems strange: He's flying out to a place which could literally give him superpowers. So many people travel to Academy City with that hope foremost in their minds that the opposite comes across as something weird and anomalous. Again, there's nothing wrong about having a character with this attitude; It's just a case of knowing in advance that this isn't the normal IC viewpoint.
    Well, the reason I asked is because Jason does have some interest, he just doesn't know exactly what to expect. Since he grew up without knowing a single esper personally, he doesn't really understand how someone would have superpowers.

So ya, he is interested about the fact that there are superpowered people in Academy City, he just doesn't know much about them. I actually don't know what made you think he wasn't interested, but I apologize for the confusion. The only thing I could think of is when I thought he wouldn't know espers existed and you told me otherwise. I didn't say specifically that he wasn't interested in where he was going.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkturus View Post
    In Japan, middle school is 7th to 9th grade (three years) and high school is 10th to 12th grade (also three years).
    The school year also starts in January and ends somewhere in December (summer is in the middle of the school year). This is why Japanese students get summer homework, periodic summer classes, and continued club activities.

Hope this helps.
    The school year starts in April and ends in March. The reason we have summer homework is because it is study for tests in winter and between school start for grade in spring. Otherwise it would always be like this for every vacation. Having club and study time is good because otherwise it would be very lazy I think.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the reason I asked is because Jason does have some interest, he just doesn't know exactly what to expect. Since he grew up without knowing a single esper personally, he doesn't really understand how someone would have superpowers.

So ya, he is interested about the fact that there are superpowered people in Academy City, he just doesn't know much about them. I actually don't know what made you think he wasn't interested, but I apologize for the confusion. The only thing I could think of is when I thought he wouldn't know espers existed and you told me otherwise. I didn't say specifically that he wasn't interested in where he was going.
    Sorry, it was simply a poor assumption on my part. Without thinking I automatically read 'highly intelligent' and 'curious' as implying 'thirst for knowledge'; I.E, 'Anything he didn't bother to research in advance can't be of much interest to him'. You're quite right, of course; A good mind alone doesn't make someone focused and driven. So yes, the fault is entirely mine.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    The school year starts in April and ends in March. The reason we have summer homework is because it is study for tests in winter and between school start for grade in spring. Otherwise it would always be like this for every vacation. Having club and study time is good because otherwise it would be very lazy I think.
    Ah, so that's how it is. Thanks for the info.
    Because it is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. So two things I want to ask.

1) Would anyone object to me making it darker and further into night time?

2) What is the date in this world currently? If it is before April as Kasanip said, it would kinda suck for Jason to be placed in a position as, "Welcome to a new school! Oh, but Finals are just around the corner." So I was kinda wondering about that.

Otherwise, I can't wait to get him more involved in the plot.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    You calling me lazy?!

I might spend most of the vacation doing nothing but doodling in a sketchbook but I! Am! Not! LAZY!

Seriously, studying in summer might make for better education but it makes for more stress too.

But perhaps that's just cultural, we don't need school uniforms but not having them in England could cause more problems than it solve so maybe education really is more important than relaxing in Japan.

But back to Railgun:

Anybody got any idea what should happen the next day and whether we should play the classes or just skip over them
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    But back to Railgun:

Anybody got any idea what should happen the next day and whether we should play the classes or just skip over them
    Please don't skip the classes. Jason will be starting school and he needs to familarize himself in the new place he's living in now. We can maybe fast forward through the school day, but lets not push the skip chapter on our DVD remote just yet, please?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    13 may or may not have some plans for the next day, or we can all just keep playing and let what plots happen naturally occur. I know Ikisawa, for example, is going to be doing something noticeable soon enough. Also we aren't going to skip the classes...but we aren't going to play them either. There's plenty of character interaction that CAN happen at school during school hours, so the schools are important, but no one is here to role-play taking a test on how Heisenburgs Principle applies to AIM Fields unless it's important to their character.

So, in short, if people want to roleplay during class and stuff, they should feel free to. If they don't, they don't have to. Just as if someone wants to skip forward to night they can do so.

And Silver the game started in early December, so there you go.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    13 may or may not have some plans for the next day, or we can all just keep playing and let what plots happen naturally occur. I know Ikisawa, for example, is going to be doing something noticeable soon enough. Also we aren't going to skip the classes...but we aren't going to play them either. There's plenty of character interaction that CAN happen at school during school hours, so the schools are important, but no one is here to role-play taking a test on how Heisenburgs Principle applies to AIM Fields unless it's important to their character.

So, in short, if people want to roleplay during class and stuff, they should feel free to. If they don't, they don't have to. Just as if someone wants to skip forward to night they can do so.

And Silver the game started in early December, so there you go.
    Ah, okay. Thanks Callos. I'll post Jason moving into his residence soon. Just making sure that no one minds if I make it officially night time.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Ding! I'll be going to a scout camp in 20 minutes, I won't be here until late sunday evening. As far as taking orders and serving dishes go, people can move Hinata around as necessary. You can refer to him as "that cute new waitress in red dress".
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

26. - Top - End - #506
    Pixie in the Playground

@Frozen_Feet You're a boy scout? HUZZAH!! I'm not alone.
    Because it is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Ding! I'll be going to a scout camp in 20 minutes, I won't be here until late sunday evening. As far as taking orders and serving dishes go, people can move Hinata around as necessary. You can refer to him as "that cute new waitress in red dress".
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkturus View Post
    @Frozen_Feet You're a boy scout? HUZZAH!! I'm not alone.
    Cool. I'm a boy scout too. Well, actually an eagle scout since I'm 19 and can't get anymore badges.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

I'm like, 100% certain that Frozen Feet isn't talking about the BSA. But I'll let him elaborate at his discretion when he gets back, if he is so inclined.

At minimum, I'm fairly sure he is older than 18.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-08-27 at 12:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I'm like, 100% certain that Frozen Feet isn't talking about the BSA. But I'll let him elaborate at his discretion when he gets back, if he is so inclined.

At minimum, I'm fairly sure he is older than 18.
    I was wondering, is BSA the only way to be at scout camp in the USA?

Because over here scout camp is among the stuff you can choose for summer activities (which is mostly one or two weeks and rarely can be continued afterwards)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, here is Hajime v.2, updated with extra power descriptions and a cooler name for his ability.

Mori Hajime
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Mori Hajime (last, first)
    Aliases: "Ossan" (or Old Man), Feral One.
    Level: 3
    School: Not sure.

Appearance: Hajime seems to be something not quite human. His long, straight white hair is entertwined with various herbs, flowers, and roots. The weave of hair and plant is about shoulder length. His skin is tan and leathery, pockmarked with various scars. His eyes are a deep green color. He is slightly above average height-wise, as well as a little slimmer than average build-wise. His face is often blank, as though he is constantly in some sort of meditation. His posture tends to be a little tense, but nothing too alarming. He tends to try and wear the school uniform in a way that covers himself the most without breaking any rules, as the various tattoos on his skin tend to put off people. After school, he repeats the trend of covering himself, using clothes that seem to be an attempt to underemphasise his oddness. He also wears various pouches and sacks, in which he contains seeds and herbs and such.

Tattoos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He has several, of differing designs. Some are Celtic in design (and in method of drawing), and some are more modern. They tend to be more focused on his back and arms, but some do creep onto his neck. Centered on his back is an elaborate tattoo of Yamato-no-Orochi, a mythical eight-headed serpent. It contains remarkable detail, every scale looking as though it were real. Each one of its mouths are open, a kanji for certain words in between the jaws. The eight kanji are for the words "Trust", "Strength", "Faith", "Love", "Friendship", "Honor", "Wisdom", and "Peace". The tattoo seems incomplete, however, the bottom two heads only partially filled in. Almost symbolically, the kanji the two heads point to are "Friendship" and "Love".

Personality: He seems to be reserved, quiet. He tends to be more on the outskirts of social life due to this. He is always aware, always watching for the little details that most people would miss. He is practical. However, he is willing to help however he can. He seems to keep himself average publicly, to the point where people have commented that he seems to be restraining himself.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Esper Ability: Chloro Marionette: The ability to control plants.

As a level 3, he has an impressive control over plants. He can manipulate the plant's cellular structure to direct its growth, even in some cases killing it. He can fill a garden house to the brim with plants in full bloom within a few hours, with only a few seeds and a little soil. His ability to grow a singular plant depends on several factors. If the plant is in ideal conditions, such as optimal water, heat, and soil, Hajime can grow the plant from seed to full bloom within the minute. Obviously, less optimal conditions take longer to grow the plant. The rate of growth also depends on how fast the plant normally grows. For instance, Hajime will be able to grow a bamboo stalk from the seed within seconds, whereas an oak tree would take much longer. Finally, it depends on what the status of the plant he is growing is. A seed would take longer than an already partly grown plant.

Although it takes a bit of concentration to do so, Hajime can push a plant beyond its natural limits. That isn't to say that he'll be making the World's Largest Pumpkins for years in a row, but a hardcore botanist will definitely notice that he gets bigger yields out of his plants than most people. He can slightly change certain attributes of a plant, such as how tough it is, but he can't make bannanas grow out of apple trees yet. He can also control where the plants grow precisely. He can basically make a tree in the shape of a corkscrew without any outside assistance, with the roots pointing straight up out of the ground. However, he can't bend existing tissue very well, unless it is soft like a vine or similar. He can also target specific areas of a plant and manipulate them, growing them, bending them, or in some cases killing them.

As a side effect of this ability, he can identify plants easily.

Physical Traits:
    -Tough hide: Due to life in the wild and liberal application of his abilities, his hide is tougher than most.
    -Wild fighter: Again, due to life in the wild, he learned how to fight. It may not be disciplined and graceful, but it works.
    -Athletic: This doesn't need explanation.

Mental Traits:
    -Reserved: He tends to restrain himself, in an attempt to make himself look normal.
    -Plant lover: He does enjoy plants a lot, often finding himself close to them.
    -Woodcarver: Pretty much what it says.
    -Self sufficient: He knows survival skills; how to forage, what herbs to use to heal, how to hunt, the works.

Notable Equipment:
    -Various pouches: Used to contain seeds and seedlings of plants and herbs of various sorts.
    -Seed implants: Various seed implants all over Hajime's body.
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.