Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Insanowar #Whatever: Defense

Welcome to Insanowar

Da Rules:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1.) There are five players, each of which represent a commander of their army.

2.) Each player takes turns choosing some powerful character, semi-powerful group of characters, or large mob of expendable non-characters from any sort of media. Examples: The TMNTs, a Dreadnought from 40K, a mob of kobolds.

3.) When each player has 6 selections, the Defenders take four more each. Then the game begins.

4.) A map will be provided showing the layout of the battlefield. Each person will have a base of operations with which they can wage war. Note that each base is about 2 turns away from each other.

5.) A static turn order is established. In each turn, the player dictates what their troops are doing, as far as the opponent can see. Secret actions need not be reported (although it is good sportsmanship to give hints as to what your are planning).

6.) When troops engage, the person whose turn the engagement took place on decides the outcome, which will usually NOT be all one way. If there is any friendly dispute (and the dispute WILL be friendly, or else), other players/playgrounders chime in with their opinions. If no consensus is reached, it's a 50/50 slaughter.

7.) The winner is the one who wins. The Defenders win by eradicating everyone else. The others win by eradicating the Defenders.

8.) Teams may communicate however they wish, be it in-character in posts, through PMs, or through chat programs.

Da Guidelinez:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1.) You can't choose anyone TOO powerful. No gods, demigods, anything like that. Make it something that's about the same power level as the other troops on the field.

2.) Don't be a jerk. The objective here is to have fun--frankly, who wins and who loses is pretty arbitrary anyway. This game is definitely straddling the line between Silly and Structured.

3.) Respect Awesomeness. If a player is pulling off something that's just too awesome to believe, that should aid his victory.

4.) Enjoy yourself. Seriously, guys.

Da Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Red/Blue areas: Bases for everyone who isn't a Defender. All on the same team.

Black area: The Defenders' Fortresses. Able to withstand very heavy bombardment, the fortresses have two entrances each. The West Defender's Fortress has the land entrance on the west side, and the East Defender's Fortress has its land entrance on the east side. The water entrances should be obvious, just look at the map.

Dark red areas in bases: Towers. The Defenders' towers are very well-fortified.

All bases are surrounded by walls. These are extremely tall walls (tall enough to obscure the towers) that have Doors of Sufficient Size to get anything you want out. You cannot burrow under the walls unless they are destroyed.

You cannot burrow under the Defenders' Fortresses.

The light blue areas are the water routes. They go between docks at the individual player bases and the Defenders' Fortresses. The docks have entrances into the base proper, should land units be transported by water.

Brown is land. Pretty mundane. Large rocks are scattered around, granting some cover.

The West Defender's Fortress contains a powerful artifact that temporarily renders one unit or structure invulnerable to harm. The East Defender's Fortress contains another artifact. This one heals or repairs a single unit to full strength. The artifacts, I'll note, affect units, not individuals. If used on a mook horde, for example, they will affect all of the mooks. However, the healing artifact will not resurrect dead mooks, making it less effective for those. The artifacts may be used every other turn.

These artifacts are placed on the top floor of the Defenders' Fortresses' towers. They are designed to be more effective for the other individual players, rather than the Defenders.

Players (in turn order)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wolfbane - Defender (East Defender Fortress)
    Bahumat - Defender (West Defender Fortress)

Fan (Northeast Base)
    Robert Blackletter (Northwest Base)
    Lady Tialait (Southeast Base)
    Zanshin (Southwest Base)
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2010-09-21 at 06:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Insanowar #Whatever: Defense

Also, since I forgot about it before:

This idea of a more 'reactive' game (first used in the sadly dead SPACE! Insanowar) seems like a good one to me. It seemed to make things go quite a bit more smoothly when it was used.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sounds good to me, but I don't mind people godmodding my people occasionally. So long as they die in good narration, it's allllll good.

I'm a defender eh? I have a cunning plan.....

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

*laughs maniacally*

I have a cunning plan as well, don't worry, you'll be informed.

For my first pick:

1:Nikola Tesla

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Woo...to...the....hooo, it started yea! Goof luckm all!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

He's in my avatar, he performed well in the last Insanowar I was in, and his destructive capabilities will be needed since I'm trying to defend.

1. Gilgamesh

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, to speed the game up a little, might I suggest at least allowing the selection of our armies to be done by team rather than in turn order as posted in the OP? As in, Defenders pick (as we have), then the attackers can pick in whatever order until they all pick, then we pick again...etc.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumat View Post
    Also, to speed the game up a little, might I suggest at least allowing the selection of our armies to be done by team rather than in turn order as posted in the OP? As in, Defenders pick (as we have), then the attackers can pick in whatever order until they all pick, then we pick again...etc.
    I agree, but only because I'm last.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Works for me.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

1. Corran Horn, Jedi Master, and his R2 unit Whistler.
    Last edited by Rogue Nine; 2010-09-15 at 07:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I choose

1. Julian Luna

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

o.k how about

Siegfried

I've only played the games till Soul Calibur 3 so that the version I'm using!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
    Honestly? I find this pick a bit too powerful. In the past, I believe Jedi Masters have been single picks all alone, but I wouldn't have said anything except that I read a bit more into the X-Wing. Two words.

Shadow Bombs.

Personally, I find three high yield Force guided Bombs, (guided by a Jedi Master nonetheless) to be a bit too much (In combination with the others as a single pick). I don't know if that's what you planned or not, but it's what I noticed.

The call is DC's though, not my own.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Honestly? I find this pick a bit too powerful. In the past, I believe Jedi Masters have been single picks all alone, but I wouldn't have said anything except that I read a bit more into the X-Wing. Two words.

Shadow Bombs.

Personally, I find three high yield Force guided Bombs, (guided by a Jedi Master nonetheless) to be a bit too much (In combination with the others as a single pick). I don't know if that's what you planned or not, but it's what I noticed.

The call is DC's though, not my own.
    Corran Horn is well known for his lack of Telekinesis abilities, unless he has absorbed energy from an outside source (heat from a bubbling underwater vent, blaster bolts from hundreds of laser-fletchette mines). So normally in a cockpit he would have no way to guide the Shadow Bombs. I wasn't even thinking about them however.

The more I think about it though, the X-wing on its own might be too powerful. Editing...
    Last edited by Rogue Nine; 2010-09-15 at 07:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Well before it gets nasty may i suggest a gentleman agreement that if promise not to abuse his pick, abuse being what me, you and casting vote D.C decides, then he can keep it? Just hate to see someone lose a pick over what is properly not his plan.

Also could I suggest a 3 day rule to posting your turn (extension possible with d.c approval?)just so the game dose not jam up due to one person being AFk?
    Last edited by Robert Blackletter; 2010-09-15 at 07:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I have no problem with keeping the Master and X-wing combo. It was the Shadow Bombs that had caught my attention. I must have missed the part on the lack of telekinesis though, so I'm honestly fine with it if everyone else is.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been looking over the other Insanowars, and I think my ideal list of picks was too overpowered anyway. I'll keep it as just Corran and Whistler.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I was going to wait for more input myself, but I'm glad the situation seems to have resolved itself.

I'll poke Fan, since he's the only one who hasn't made his first pick.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gilgamesh has a weapon that in it's own world's rankings is unique. Everyone elses are anti-person or anti-army.

His is Anti-World.

No, i don't think Mr Horn is overpowered. I'm confident my next pick would shut down teleportation shenanigans anyway....since she's quite good at them herself.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I pick..

CAPTAIN FAWKON. As he is depicted in F Zero Densetsu.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Whoo, Falcon Punching.

Anyway...Bahumat. I'm a bit concerned, to be honest. I don't know that much about F/SN other than stuff gleaned from a couple WWs, so...the anti-world thing sounds a bit OP, if it's the planetbuster it sounds like. <.<

'course, again, don't know much.

Anyway! Next round of picks. Pick 2 at once this time.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

It 'apparently' could break the planet, if he had enough mana to fire it at full power long enough.

Yeah, that's going to happen.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohbsc...eature=related

Have a look at around three minutes in, that's the normal level of power it has.

Hmmmmm....I may to rethink a few of my picks, this could get messy.......btw, my picks are all VERY powerful in their own world, but don't worry. There are some glaring defensive holes depending on the way you attack them.....

2. Tohno Shiki
    3. Saber

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

2: Queen(Led by Freddie Mercury)

and

3: 6 Noise Marines

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

2. Amaterasu

and

3. The Warriors- Originally I was thinking just the named Warriors, but since they are really just street thugs armed with melee weapons (bats, chains, knives, etc.), can I take the entire gang (~120 strong)?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

*clings bottles together*

"Waaaarioooooors.... Come out and Plaaaay-yaaaay..."

I'd just go with the main characters as they'd be more powerful in the long run than the full gang.

And much cooler. >.>

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    *clings bottles together*

"Waaaarioooooors.... Come out and Plaaaay-yaaaay..."

I'd just go with the main characters as they'd be more powerful in the long run than the full gang.

And much cooler. >.>
    That is true.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumat View Post
    Gilgamesh has a weapon that in it's own world's rankings is unique. Everyone elses are anti-person or anti-army.

His is Anti-World.

No, i don't think Mr Horn is overpowered. I'm confident my next pick would shut down teleportation shenanigans anyway....since she's quite good at them herself.
    You forgot Anti-Castle.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

My next two picks for team BURNING BLOOD:

Sanger Zombolt, in his Grungrust MK III

Ratsel Feinschmecker, piloting Trombe / Aussenseiter.

Go ahead.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

2. Baron Sengir
    3. Alucard

For team, Blood Brothers.
    Last edited by Lady Tialait; 2010-09-17 at 10:07 PM.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Whoa, hold on there.

Alucard might be a little much, speaking from experience. Considering in Insanowar 6 he survived being hit with a missile barrage, a water cutter capable of cutting through steel, and a mech (the one that fired said missile barrage and water cutter) ramming into him, then ramming him into a wall, then exploding.

In rapid succession.

No offense, Fan. >.>
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links: