New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Well its not looking good for being 'heroic' though Law still has a good chance to not be a main antagonist for the arc and thus not "need" to be defeated here. We still don't really know what's going on but not wanting the Marines involved suggests some level of complicity in whats happening. And at somepoint I think he's going to be fought along with any still active Supernova.

That all aside I would welcome the subversion of the normal pecking order to have Law taken down by Usopp (or one of the others) I can't expect that.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Hasn't Zorro been using haki just without a name more or less since he's been able to cut metal?
    Wouldn't surprise me, but that is just fan speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I can't find mention of any real technical explanation for the various martial arts out there. Haki seems the obvious speculation, but Silver's big explanation of Haki very much does not touch on the range of weird techs we've seen. Which we could take as a sign that its still distinct from what Zoro and Sanji do. While I won't object if it happens to be Haki, I think we've a good case for their being weird superhuman abilities besides Haki and Devil Fruit

Do we have any of the showy martial arts being used to effect against a Logia user.

Though backtracking to what brought this up... Law should be proof against the strongest Strawhats from type advantage. The logical counter for his abilities is to say outside the operating room and attack at range. Something neither Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji are quite built for. That said a major antagonist taken out by a secondary combatant for the Strawhats, yeah this is shonen it ain't gonna happen.

So either Smoker takes down Law (maybe not this fight) or I think either Haki or Gomu-gomu is going to render Luffy immune to being operated on. There's a hint of this in Smoker talking about Tashigi's Haki level. I'd say that being a rubber man would be total hax though since a surgeon slices you open when he operates. So looking like Haki only need apply.
    IIRC, Rayleigh said that both Observation and Armament could be trained and only Conqueror's was given to a select few. Zoro and Sanji spent two years with two of the strongest characters, who are almost guaranteed to be able to use Haki, in the series so far. The two of them have to have worked on both Armament and Observation. Similarly, I'd imagine Ussop gained the use of them both as well. There is pretty much no gauge for how strong Hercules'n is, but the island they were on had to have fostered Haki just because of its nature. They just aren't the showoffs that Luffy is, he's been throwing the stuff around since he got back to Sabaody.

The only time I can think of a Logia being threatened by something that wasn't Haki was when Luffy took Enel out with Ougon Rifle.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Well the point is that if the various weird martial arts are unrelated Haki they are not nessecarily a natural progression either. We've already seen weaker characters who possessed Haki before.

And our known major users (Silvers, Garp, and Shanks) seem to be relatively 'mundane' in style just exceptionally badass.

All I'm saying is I'm waiting until it is said outright rather then just taking Haki use as some kind of tier everyone can be assumed to have or will reach if over point. Even the Vice Admiral statement isn't one I read too much into given that it wasn't explained in detail or shown.

Not that I'm objecting to Sanji and Zoro (and the rest) having it just that I'll wait for true confirmation.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... not really sure where Law stands... maybe he's just really True Neutral a la "doesn't give a ***" and just wants to do his experiments for the sake of science... (okay, maybe some would say that is evil )

And... yeah, Armamaent Haki is the way to fight him I'm sure, no big chance for Usopp to shine. At least how I see it. Not entirely sure how things will turn out but by narrative causality Luffy and Law will have some big fight where L beats some sense into him.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Pixie in the Playground

Considering how Law's crew has been very careful about not hurting the children, I think there is at least a valid argument that they aren't bad guys. They may not be good guys, since it would seem the kids actually aren't sick and were just being held captive, but lord knows, the bad guys of this series have never shied from hurting kids before.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of kids I happened on the Oda sketch of the Supernova's as kids and noticed that Law had a scalpel and a frog. Take that as you will.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

That he was interested in "medicine" from an early age and wasn't afraid to experiment by himself?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said take it as you will.

I dissected a frog, several squid and some other stuff in school personally. But I'd not have taken it on myself to do so...

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

New chapter

Spoiler
    Show
    Law wins. Fatality! (not really)

And it seems Smoker is down for the moment. I'm getting the suspicion that Robin is the only one who has a shot at beating Law in the party, and only because she seems to have a farther range then Law's operating room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    New chapter

Spoiler
    Show
    Law wins. Fatality! (not really)

And it seems Smoker is down for the moment. I'm getting the suspicion that Robin is the only one who has a shot at beating Law in the party, and only because she seems to have a farther range then Law's operating room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nah, I don't think Smoker is defeated yet... well, defeated but not quite dead. (Actually, I think Law doesn't like killing but that might just be Oda)

The fight was quite spectacular, I guess... but I still have NO IDEA what Laws ability exactly is.
    But no, I don't think Robin would have any better chance... Haki defense ftw.

Also, we get to see... the real villain? I'm not sure... looks like... smoke?! Logia User? Probably.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Robin would be a terrible choice against Law. Even with multiple limbs, she still needs to use her limbs, which Law can sever and rearrange at will.

Ranged attackers like Usopp or Franky wouldn't be that good either if only because we've seen Law switch the trajectory of bullets around.

Honestly? The only Straw Hat I could see having a chance would be Luffy. He can launch his attacks from outside the bubble, and apparently a strong haki can stop Law from severing your body.

So, this Brownbeard fellow. First, we see him taking over one of Whitebeard's old islands shortly after Whitebeard's death. Then we see him and Basil Hawkins apparently get ready to fight. Now he's here, and he's now an alligator centaur. I guess that at least proves that the centaurs weren't born that way. I'm assuming that's Trafalgar Law's handiwork.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Banned

Robin would be able to make new limbs constantly, and retract them at will. She'd at least be ble to quickly catch him off guard since he seems to need to percieve his target.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    Robin would be able to make new limbs constantly, and retract them at will. She'd at least be ble to quickly catch him off guard since he seems to need to percieve his target.
    Yes, but hurting her limbs hurts her original body as well (as seen way back in Alabasta). How exactly Trafalgar's power would affect that aspect is a huge unknown.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Zoro could fight Law as well, he has ranged attacks that don't even have material bullets. Unless Law can rearrange air.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Well Franky also now has laser weapons right? Nothing to stop there

Also given that we've seen plenty of melee missile deflection (I recall it in say Marineford so help me) I'm not going to read too much into stopping a barrage by mooks. Even if G-5ers can be said to be above average for Marines, which is probable, One Piece's wouldn't be the way it is you could just gun down high level folk.

And I'd still back staying out of Law's range as a smart approach to beating him. We've seen some range on say Zoro's swing but is it enough persay, I tend to hold mere visuals as somewhat loose statements on range myself? Still have to wait and see what happens.

Luffy's probably going to be ticked when he finds out what Law did to part of his crew. Also I think we've got a fair case for the Ope-Ope having some kind of "do no harm" weakness to it

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Luffy's probably going to be ticked when he finds out what Law did to part of his crew. Also I think we've got a fair case for the Ope-Ope having some kind of "do no harm" weakness to it
    You mean direct harm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    You mean direct harm?
    Yes, I almost went with a literal version of "thou shall not kill" but stuck with a medical theme.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes, I almost went with a literal version of "thou shall not kill" but stuck with a medical theme.
    Well ... I'd agree with that, but what about just pulling Smoker's heart out of his body?

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

Well ... I'd agree with that, but what about just pulling Smoker's heart out of his body?
    Don't tell me you think for a second he's dead right?

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ettin in the Playground

We've also seen him decapitate and bisect people without killing them. I'd say it's more a case of the heart being somehow special in signifigance - we also saw heart symbols when he scrambled the Strawhats.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Don't tell me you think for a second he's dead right?
    No, but don't tell me you think for a second he's doing OK right?

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

No, but don't tell me you think for a second he's doing OK right?
    Course not but when a disassembled head can be put back together its evident that Ope-Ope has only a limited to nonexistent ability to y'know... kill which was what I was getting at in the first place

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Course not but when a disassembled head can be put back together its evident that Ope-Ope has only a limited to nonexistent ability to y'know... kill which was what I was getting at in the first place
    Smoker looks like he's in a far worse fix than Samurai Head.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

Smoker looks like he's in a far worse fix than Samurai Head.
    And I am still not sure WHY. Law has shown that his power doesn't really affect the people the way losing limbs should. If people can still have blood pumped to their head after having their head separated why should having their heart separated not allow it to pump blood to the rest of their body. Maybe it's due to the weird cube the heart is in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

New chap and stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

No fight between Law and the Strawhats (yet). Just some more or less friendly talk and then the reuniting of the Strawhats and them getting their bearings.
    I'm jealous of Sanji, but glad he got that chance... muahahaha. Poor Nami. But incredibly satisfying for perverted fanboys nonetheless. *cough* Ahem!

Samurai is almost complete again and... a weird sorcerer... Now that IS a surprise... Weird devil fruit...

Aaaand, Tashigi is Smoker and Smoker is Tashigi. Hahaha....

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

A one piece topic? Yay!

Anyway, has anyone noticed that Ceasar Clown has horns in the last page? It seems to me like he is one of those sheep people.

And, I wonder what else can the samurai´s fruit do? It seems like a reference to kitsunes.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

So now really obvious that Sanji!Nami is not to be left alone until they get switched back ehh?

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    And, I wonder what else can the samurai´s fruit do? It seems like a reference to kitsunes.
    What on earth makes you say that?

Anyway, I guess Smoker's body is doing OK afterall. And seeing Tashigi with Smoker's expression was great. Oh man.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

What on earth makes you say that?

Anyway, I guess Smoker's body is doing OK afterall. And seeing Tashigi with Smoker's expression was great. Oh man.
    Wait! I mixed up, I meant a Tanuki!

Afterall, they can transform leaves into other stuff in japanese stories.
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2012-04-11 at 05:57 PM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Well, i newer though i would see Tashi looking truely badass, but it really looks like Smoker doesnt care the least about where he ends up
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar