New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It's like a metaphysical version of the British Empire's penal colonies. In fact, DD Hell does kinda look like the Outback. The difference being that Australia has kangaroos instead of some mutagen that makes people grow horns and tails.
    [Easyjoke]

Also, Australia is way more dangerous.

[/Easyjoke]
    Truth resists simplicity.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Can something be dangerous if you respawn in the same place exactly as you were before with absolutely no loss except for temporary pain?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-13 at 02:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Can something be dangerous if you respawn in the same place exactly as you were before with absolutely no loss except for temporary pain?
    I've read Jack, and so I'm forced to say... yes. Apparantly, if you're twisted enough.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Tagon has something to say about this
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

It seems that the Goons have discovered us.

Apart from the OoTS criticism, Quake Williams from Keenspot has this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Aforementioned Williams
    I'm not much a fan of the OotS DD-hating community, mostly because they think they're hot ****. There was a whole debacle where they tried to troll Keen because they thought that for some reason Keen loved the comic and they were going to show us how awful it was.
    Apparently, more here happened than I thought, and I for one am a little disappointed in us. Care to share, comrades?

On the subject of the Tropers, they're now defending Stunt's brutal murder of Jaxon as a Karmic Death.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-13 at 05:58 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dangerous, no, but tiresome yes. Some people are relieved when they finally lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Apparently, more here happened than I thought, and I for one am a little disappointed in us. Care to share, comrades?
    It was discussed at some point, IIRC, but never carried out. Or if it was carried out it was well before my time.

Anyhoo, why the devil would we waste time trolling anyone? At most we ask fans who stop by why they still like the comic - for perspective more than anything.

Also: I set up the Dominic Deegan Tropes page back when DD was a font of misapplied Tropes. Shortly after its birth it attracted a single vocal True Believer who re-spun everything. Since the Neverending Arc I washed my hands of it and while the occasional Snarker seems to pop up to keep things honest it seems more trouble than it's worth.

On the plus side, they did keep my original picture
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

8. - Top - End - #368

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    I vaguely remember someone suggesting we pose as fans in another forum at some point, but everyone said it was pointless and/or wrong. As OH said, why bother?

The snark in these threads however was fuelled by Keenspot refugees. I think it was the time their forum was shut down, so they spread out over the internet injecting snarky comments into other forums. They provided a catalyst here before SuperGreg started the chain reaction that caused the snark thread to explode.

On the subject of the Tropers, they're now defending Stunt's brutal murder of Jaxon as a Karmic Death.
    Well, one particular TV Troper is. Got to love the binary argument that if it's a Karmic Death for Jaxon it completely validates Stunt for choosing to let a guy be dissolved alive in acid.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

What could have been a nice discussion about Strip Slays got derailed because these threads happen to be hosted on the same site that hosts Order of the Stick.

What a shame.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Pixie in the Playground

It's kind of hilarious how there are actual multiple snark threads for this comic over several different boards. I kind of want to sit Mookie down with a consolatory cup of cocoa and gently explain why it's long over and he should really move on, maybe he can make something new that doesn't have a long history of orcrapelol and he wouldn't have this barrage of hate aimed at him.

Oh who am I kidding, there'd be a dead lady with her butt in the air in any new comic he does within three pages.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quake think we're haters? I imagine we're quite nice really, all we do is poke fun at DD and have a jolly good time at it. We even admit that Mookie is actually a pretty cool person, tho his fetishes can raise a few eyebrows.

Aren't there other forum threads that spew real vitriol at DD?

EDIT: Oh, and if what he said about the trolls in Keenspot being from this thread is true, shame on whoever of you who did it.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2010-09-13 at 08:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and if what he said about the trolls in Keenspot being from this thread is true, shame on whoever of you who did it.
    I concur. As someone who has seen trolls masquerading as members of certain forums before, though, I'd have to say I'd like to see Keenspot's evidence on the matter.
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #373

Doubt that the trolling bit is true, I bet it was like just an off joke or something... not that I'd care, really.

I wouldn't worry much with the Mr. Death thing, though... he already sees everything a snarker says as "the snarker "Hate Dom" just says this so they can keep on hating, it's just not true." And to whoever is discussing in tvtropes right now: SHH! You're gonna get that original picture taken down!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

There was no trolling of Keenspot; so says my archive trawl of our threads. We actually had someone from Keenspot show up here and accuse the snarkers of old of doing so, but it was one rogue guy and nobody else had anything to really do with it.

If I remember correctly. It's buried somewhere in the epic thread.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

15. - Top - End - #375

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Aren't there other forum threads that spew real vitriol at DD?
    AFAIK the active DD threads are:
    (note some links may be NSFW, especially because many of these post DD slays. And especially Something Awful )
    • Keenspot - the original: shut, restarted, retained after DD moved away, threatened to close again but still going. The first to turn snarky.
    • GiTP's theads (us!) - a general fan discussion thread that picked up steam. Turned from fan/snark debate to mostly pure snark with SuperGreg
    • DomiNATION - the rebooted fan forum. Turned fully snarky sometime in the last couple of years.
    • The Something Awful DD Thread - possibly unique in that it started snarky. Quite recent, surprisingly strong.

Generally speaking Keenspot is more vitriolic than us, DomiNATION is less so, and Something Awful is unsurprisingly like bathing in vitriolic acid (but not necessarily in a bad way .)

The only thing close to a true fan forum I know of is LiveJournal's Seer's Fan Community, but the scene there has been dying over the last year and mostly dead for the last month. My theory is that if you're not a snarker, Maltak and the weird mini-arcs of 2010 have been too dull for genuine fan talk.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2010-09-13 at 08:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

It's a really, really bad sign when every single fan forum you have is either turned to snark or dead.

Really, I half-suspect that even fans of the comic know deep down that it's just crap. I don't mean that in a bad, "I know you better than you do" way. I just think that a lot of people liked it when they started reading it and are just going out of sheer inertia now.

It's why almost everyone that joins this thread turns to snark. You just need someone to point out the flaws before you can suddenly see the whole snark landscape spread out before you.

17. - Top - End - #377

Mr. Death might be the only actual fan of DD in existence.

Let's give him a hand, everyone.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

So, sneaky gate's up.

Panel 5 = Dancin' machine.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, I guess he was just passing by when he saw this horrid amalgamation of joint s and just decided "I'M GONNA RIDE THAT 'LIL DOGGIE". Or maybe he's getting out of there before their souls explode, they still do that, right?

20. - Top - End - #380

WHERE WE'RE GOING, WE DON'T NEED EYES TO SEE.

Also; the scale is, um. Interesting.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

21. - Top - End - #381

Check out that ass shot in panel 1. Mookie just cannot resist, can he?
    Last edited by Humbug; 2010-09-13 at 11:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382

I hope Mookie realizes any attempt to get us to hate him is only going to get us to love him out of spite.

Y'know, as usual.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-14 at 07:26 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

New strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    ... Those of you who have expressed your desire to see him redeemed or saved will be sadly disappointed, I'm afraid. ...
    Heh.

24. - Top - End - #384

Daemon

I think Mookie's now taking inspiration from children's series....

here alien from "Ben 10".. seems familiar?

25. - Top - End - #385

Also, I would like to point out how lazily drawn Siegfried is. He looks like he's made out of blobs of black.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Just out of shot, the damned soul of Fred Flintstone has the same job, using another dinosaur to excavate souls.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Really, I half-suspect that even fans of the comic know deep down that it's just crap. I don't mean that in a bad, "I know you better than you do" way. I just think that a lot of people liked it when they started reading it and are just going out of sheer inertia now.
    You have clearly not seen real crap then, inertia is not enough to make people keep waching the comic if they are not interestet in whats going to happen next.

It's why almost everyone that joins this thread turns to snark. You just need someone to point out the flaws before you can suddenly see the whole snark landscape spread out before you.
    The trick is merely to read the comic before visiting the forum, any flaws i did not pick up in my own reading of the comic doesnt count.

edit.

Also, I would like to point out how lazily drawn Siegfried is. He looks like he's made out of blobs of black.
    I think he looked pretty interesting, people keep complaining about Mookie not experimenting with his art, well take a closer look at Sigfried, he certanly looks like an experiment.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2010-09-14 at 03:31 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #388

Did Siggy finally get proper armor or does the shading just really fail in that fourth panel where he´s sitting on that monster?

Also seems for 'normal' bad people hell is not as good.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

29. - Top - End - #389

Holy crap! Siegfried is HUGE!
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures:

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    ...people keep complaining about Mookie not experimenting with his art, well take a closer look at Sigfried, he certanly looks like an experiment.

Read in the right tone of voice (ie deadpan) that read an awful lot like Snark

edit: the 8th panel! MY GOD. HELL SHRANK HIS HEAD WHILE HE WAS STILL ALIVE

double edit: okay... now I've managed to reread (the heavy black draws my eye to the bottom panel first and then it all makes no sense) and anatomy errors aside (faaaaaaaaar aside) it's a pretty well done page. Closeups, perspective and LOTS OF PEOPLE.
    Last edited by Silverblood; 2010-09-14 at 06:11 AM.