New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Mad Schemes IC thread

The Half Elfs eyes dart towards the baron, a slight smile flickers on his face.

I don't know about the rest of you but stealing for a trade is nothing, i have been killing people to survive for a long time now i don't think much can phase me now.

the Half Elf stands abruptly and walks towards the table of food. He looks at it for a moment then grabs a plate of food and a bottle of wine then returns to his seat stuffing the food into his mouth in a very unrefined manner.
    "I don't know if we should risk it, those mushrooms look pretty dangerous"

Whoever said roleplaying games can take away your life. Right what should I have for dinner (1d20)[15] pizza it is!!

My characters and games
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters

Games DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Asher

"I didn't want to cause you immediate offense, sir, hardly knowing you. It could have simply been a joke. If you are serious, I might be required to ask you to stop. I can hardly knowingly allow you to steal, although without evidence I also have no reason to trouble you about it."
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Now that's more like the reaction I expected! Of course I'm just joking, my hulking golden friend. No need to trouble your righteous head over my silly ramblings! I'm more interested in why an assassin, a holy warrior, a mostly silent hulking beast of a half-elf in full armor, and an insane lad would be gathered together, all I presume, by a mysterious note!"

The Baron stands and begins pacing, his hands clasped behind his back. "It truly does boggle the mind. Perhaps we all have something in common? In my experience, if you gather this many dangerous people in a room together, you plan on either killing them or manipulating them. I don not like being manipulated. Or killed! Perhaps if we share a bit about ourselves, we can discover the common factor that could bring us all here and maybe thwart our absent author in his or her attempts to bring us to heel (or under heel as the case may be)?"

The Baron looks at each person in the waiting room, waiting for a response. Well, he thinks, if nothing else, I might be able to divert the paladin's attention from me and at least get some answers as to who these people are!

Spoiler
    Show
    BTW, are any of you from Waterdeep? If so, there's a chance I might know of you.
    Last edited by dark_scarab; 2010-09-09 at 12:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

without even looking at the baron the half elf speaks in a very sharp tone

My past is my own and i wish to keep it to myself i've already revealed much more to you than i have anyone i've ever met.

He looks up, still glaring, at the baron

Is that ok with you or do i need to make myself any clearer?
    Last edited by Ragnoth; 2010-09-09 at 12:37 PM.

Whoever said roleplaying games can take away your life. Right what should I have for dinner (1d20)[15] pizza it is!!

My characters and games
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters

Games DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorvan & Cobble

As the conversations take their turns an odd pair makes its way into the room. A short...human? it's tough to tell under the soot, armor, inkstains, and other myraid of strange gear exactly what the man is. He stands between 5 and 6 feet tall, the exact measuremeant difficult to tell because his shoulders are slumped as he stares at some papers in his grimy hands. He wears a beautifully crafted breastplate that might gleam if it were not covered in soot and oil smudges, over which he has a workman's apron looped over his neck and tied behind his back. Hanging from the apron and stuffed into the many pockets are tools of all sorts for god knows what practices. A wooden shield bearing a toothed wooden cog with four spokes is strapped to his back. A simple, but finely crafted warhammer sits in a loop on his hip, a small purple stone adorning the head.

As a contrast, his companion's appearance seems straightforward enough. Tall enough for a human, but possibly small enough for an elf, or anywhere in between, it's tough to tell. Full plate armor with the visor down hides the identify further, though a similarly adorned shield strapped to a guantleted hand, while the other hand rests on the head of another well-crafted hammer, this one adorned with a small white crystal somewhat shaped like a bone. The strange gait would lead you to think that perhaps the figure had injured a leg or foot some time in the past.

Upon entering the room, the figure in the plate stops dead in its tracks much to the dismay of the dirty, goggled man who unceremoniously bumps into him, dropping his papers. Quickly kneeling to scrounge them into a hasty pile the man shakes his head an admonishes his companion,

"By the gods, must you keep doing that? If I didnt know better, I would think you get some kind of enjoyment of causing...."

It's at this point in his tirade that the man looks up from the floor and sees the group gathered in the room. He pauses for a few seconds, unsure of how to proceed then stammers a hasty,

"Ummm....hullo"

His attempt at a wave are meager at best as he holds his crumpled papers tightly to his chest. Shuflling the papers until he has the one he needs in front of him, he looks down at the writing, and then up over the top of the paper at the rest of the room.

"I...yes..well...umm. Is this where the...hmmm. I think I was told to meet...someone? Here?"

Evil/Chaos Detection
    Spoiler
    Show

The goggled man has an aura of chaos about him, but neither figure has any evil about them

6. - Top - End - #36

Daemon

Asher smiles, although he doesn't appear to find the "joke" very funny.

We shall have to see how this one turns out. He's not evil though. He only needs keeping an eye on.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Half Elf looks up at the newcomers

OH GREAT! more people to join the party

he then picks up the bottle of the wine and take several mouthfuls then puts it down. he then stands up and swings his sword in front of him eying it up and down, he then removes a stone from his backpack sits down and begins sharpening it while muttering inaudibly.

EVIL AND CHAOS DETECTION
    Spoiler
    Show
    sorry it took so long
    you detect no evil or chaos around this individual
    Last edited by Ragnoth; 2010-09-09 at 12:51 PM.

My characters and games
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters

Games DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

RedWizardGuy

The Baron merely raises an eyebrow at the arrival of yet more 'guests' to this little soiree. Well I thought it was a good idea. Finally seeing the obvious discomfort the oddly adorned fellow in the workman's apron, the Baron's better breeding manifests itself and he makes a slight bow, "Welcome to a most interesting breakfast, sirs. Our host has not yet made an appearance and we were merely having an... educational conversation before you arrived. I am the Baron Vincent Uldred, what is your name?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

((This post marks the official start of the campaign))

Cobble and Dorvan had entered into the room they appear to be not alone, A man wearing very clean white robes and a prominent holy symbol. His age on his skin gives way to the wisdom in his eyes as he begins to speak, "My dear adventurers, I am Friar Desai and indeed grateful to have so many answer our call in this dire time." He motions for all to take a seat as he continues, moving to the enter of the room to allow all to hear him as he continued, "A few night past our order was infiltrated and robbed. Whoever it was did not do so subtly though as many of our order were struck dead, some in their sleep for what seemed to be meaningless bloodshed. The perpetrators made off with a scripture that has been passed down throughout the ages in our order. We know not the contents of them as it was forbidden for any to remove them and their purpose forgotten long ago. It seems however that the thief knew of them and specifically stole only that object leaving all other things in the vault alone. We need you to go and retrieve them for us so that we may find out what it is they are after." He finished his proposition as he sat down awaiting any questions the may have.
    "Minotaur Rouges are awesome. After all, has anyone ever told you they were mugged by a 7ft tall cow-man before?"

One Piece Manual [In the Works, Feel Free to Check it Out!]

~Married to VirgoBushin in real life on May 31, 2010~

10. - Top - End - #40

So it seemed she was to be the only woman here. This would definitely prove to be very interesting. Finally, a man who introduced himself as .... it was then she realized he didn't even do that. To each his own... As he paused and was obviously awaiting questions, she spoke up, "Do you think or know where we are supposed to find this thief?" If she was about to do dirty work such as this, she along with the others would at least need to know that much if absolutely nothing else.

11. - Top - End - #41

RedWizardGuy

"So, Friar, you're saying that some thief broke into your sanctuary, killed several priests, then made off with a book into which you've never even looked? Well. This will be an easy find. Of course, it really depends on what's in it for me."

The Baron clears his throat and glances at the others, "How is this time so dire? That is, no disrespect to your faith and all, but couldn't it just be a rival sect trying to get at the scriptures you've never revealed? I mean, how harmful could these scriptures really be?" The Baron, it seems, is having trouble with an intense curiosity about this mission and an intense love for money, "And--I really can't stress this enough--what's in it for me? Why should I care that someone stole your book?"

12. - Top - End - #42

Daemon

Asher

"Do not worry, Friar. If no one else here is interested, I will commit myself to finding the thief, and your property. But I must ask, do you know where to look?"

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

RedWizardGuy

A thought seems to come to Baron Uldred's mind and he frowns, "I think they mean to manipulate and kill us. Religion makes people do some very crazy things! I hope you can come up with a more convincing reason for summoning me here from my cozy home--albeit the free meal was a good touch--than 'we want our scriptures back'. You know, the ones that you've never read."
    Last edited by dark_scarab; 2010-09-09 at 01:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

After some time had passed, the Friar continued, "I'll answer your questions in the order I heard them. We don't know if it was a rival sect. Usually, and even if it was, they wouldn't hide their deed. We have heard of a secret guild of thieves though beneath the city who have been getting some repute. Most of the evidence points to them but we do not know how to get to the guild nor even if the scriptures are still in the city." The Friar reached into the folds of his robes to pull out a small stone. "This stone was atuned to the scriptures and will help you in finding them. It will glow slightly as you get close to them. We've already deployed a few of the faithful to search and have two places in mind that they could be. One is a small cave outside of Waterdeep to the North. We have watched it in the few days and nothing comes in or out. The second is the port ward. We believe that the thieves may have a small warehouse in the district where they may be hiding." The Friar then looked to Baron. He'd been informed of these guests before entering and knew the man required a bit more. "We offer you payment for the return of the scriptures irregardless of their condition and sanctuary within our order for as long as you are here in Waterdeep." The Friar looked at the Baron after his second retort. "We do have some pull with the city guard. Perhaps a few charges that would otherwise involve your arrest could be ignored."
    Last edited by Tsumeken; 2010-09-09 at 01:45 PM.
    "Minotaur Rouges are awesome. After all, has anyone ever told you they were mugged by a 7ft tall cow-man before?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

The half elf who has just be watching so far suddenly stands and a look of what appears to be concern for what the priest is saying appears on his face. his harsh tone of voice and glare have dropped and he almost looks friendly.

Father i have three questions, one do have any idea who this rogue cud be working for, two do you have any idea what this scripture looks like and three whats in it for me, once you answer these questions i swear i shall retrieve these scriptures whatever the cost.

My characters and games
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters

Games DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

The Friar looked to Bren to answer his questions. "If we knew, we would have already had the guard arrest them or at least have some form of punishment. The scriptures are a large scroll written upon a large tome. The things written in it are apparently the words of the Gods themselves. We believe it to be some sort of warning or why else would the Elders wish it to be hidden? You all have full access to our order and the knowledge that we acquire in this endeavor as well as what else I already mentioned."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorvan & Cobble

Clearly uncomfortable with all of the room's attention turned on him, the man folds his papers and stuffs them into a pocket of his apron. Uselessly wiping his hands on the front of his apron in an attempt to clean them off, he slides his goggles up to his forhead before moving towards the baron. The stark white of the skin under the goggles would lead you to believe that they have been on his face for quite some time. His brown eyes beam with curiosity as he looks at the gathering. Upon reaching the Baron, he extends his grimy hand in offer to shake,

"Baron Uldred...it's...umm...a pleasure to acquaint you makences, err...well...to meet you I mean."

His shake is awkward at best, both hands enveloping yours, the motion up and down overemphasized almost as if he were not really sure what to do.

"My name is Dorvan Hammerfall, a Greater Seeker and Techsmith in service to the Wonderbringer. My companion is named Cobble. He is a Gondsman himself."

A small wry smile as if he had made a small joke crept into the corner of his mouth at that last bit.

18. - Top - End - #48

RedWizardGuy

"Well well. Pay and pardon! I think I can deal with those terms. I might know these thieves... I have some connections."

{{OOC: Would the Baron know about such a group of thieves? He's a rather active thief and has been in the area for 15 years.}}

19. - Top - End - #49

Daemon

Asher

"I suggest we speak to the port officials. If the thieves are operating out of the port, they'll likely know. That's been the case in my previous investigations, anyway. And I have ways of compelling them to tell the truth."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

The Friar stood, giving them a low bow. "If any of you have any other questions, I'll be able to address them in my study." He bowed again then left the room.

For Baron's OOC Question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to Baron Uldred's extensive stay with underworld dealings, he does know of these thieves. They have recently come to power in the last two months. They are known as the Suns of Madness. Their jobs are usually assassination and murder so it's weird for them to steal anything as most of their previous attacks have left all belongings with the victims.

21. - Top - End - #51

~Diana Tellis~

Diana had been keeping quiet, making mental notes of all that had been said and answered by the Friar. She returned the bow as he left then looked back to Asher, nodding in agreement. "The port does sound like a good place to begin." She looked at the others, wondering if any of them agreed or otherwise. As her blue eyes gazed around, she continued to speak, "I do think a decision should be made swiftly. The more time we spend here, the more chances we allow the thieves to escape." She added.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Theroar returns to his chair and sits down placing his sword back in its holder, and slowly positioning his helm back onto his head.

well for the sake of it ill agree with the docks, the quicker this is over the better.

he then grabs his back pack and attaches it to a piece of his Armour and stands back up.

My characters and games
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters

Games DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

RedWizardGuy

The Baron frowns again. "Quite frankly, this disturbs me quite a bit. These criminals sound like the Suns of Madness... a gang that's recently gurgled to the top of the Waterdhavian underworld. But they're really more interested in violence and murder than with making any real profit. Of course, what profit you'd hope to make by stealing religious texts is really beyond me." The Baron looks at the others making their preparations and a look of confusion crosses his face.

"So you all are prepared to take this friar at his word, risk your lives dealing with a sadistic gang of murderers and thugs called, of all things, the Suns of Madness, retrieve some sort of holy relic, and trust your lives to complete strangers? You are all either in on this little joke or you're stupider than you look. No offense to the lady, of course. I think this merits a bit more explanation. I'll address our friend, the friar, directly." And with that, the Baron excuses himself from the group and knocks on the friar's chamber door.

24. - Top - End - #54

Daemon

Asher

Following the Baron, Asher says: "You are a sadly distrustful fellow. I hope you will take me, at least, at my word that I will protect you so long as you keep the law within my sight."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The door opens as you knock upon it. The Friar ushers you in. He does not seem the least surprised to see you. "My dear Baron... I was under the impression that our business had completed and I would not see you again until I had more to be told or to be given. Might I ask what brings you to my chambers so quickly after I've already explained our terms?"

26. - Top - End - #56

RedWizardGuy

{{Assuming that the friar allows the Baron into his study}}

The Baron looks at the paladin, "Alas and alack, my righteous friend, my lack of trust in my fellow beings has kept my skin intact on more than one occasion and is a survival tactic that I will, sadly, continue. I have no reason to doubt the word of a stalwart paladin of Chauntea, but I don't really know this friar's angle. You aren't the least bit suspicious of this situation? I've known cons that were more elaborate than this. More convincing, too."

Within the Friar's Study

Spoiler
    Show

The Baron enters the study and addresses the friar, "Friar, forgive my lack of faith, but this all seems very odd. The group of thieves that stole your scriptures sound like the Suns of Madness, a notoriously violent gang of murderers and all-round evil men more interested in bloodshed than plunder. And now you expect a group of total strangers to band together in some sort of team to accomplish a mission of unspecified danger and regain a priceless artifact for you? I can tell you that I wouldn't trust my boots--let alone my life--with a couple of those out in the waiting room. Perhaps you can give me a little insight about the members of this proposed scheme that would ease my mind as to their trustworthiness and, forgive me, your own?"
    Last edited by dark_scarab; 2010-09-09 at 02:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

In the Friar's Room
    Spoiler
    Show
    "What exactly do you mean about information? Do you refer more to your companions or targets? Your companions, though, I must admit I have only heard of their exploits. Some of them have not been heard outside of their homelands. The one I can truly tell you of is the Lady Tallis, who supposedly is a bit of a nomad of sorts. She is known for dealings in many different regions of the worlds, even as far south as Calimshire. She even had enough to risk entering the Thayan lands in the quest for what she seeks. The paladin Asher is a man of his word. I have heard great things of him through my affiliates. Sir Wolfswift used to be an employ of the guard here, even going so far as to the rank of captain before growing bored in his station and leaving for adventuring.. As for the others, I know as much of them as you do."

28. - Top - End - #58

RedWizardGuy

In the Friar's Study
    Spoiler
    Show

"Well, your explanation goes a long way in appeasing my fears. I suppose that I'll go along with your plans. For now. By the way, I'd like to discuss just how much my services will cost you. I mean, you say that these scriptures are priceless and I can assure you that I can put a price on them. Ten thousand gold. But I'm a pious man and your mission sounds important and goodly, so let's say... eight thousand. Special holy discount."

29. - Top - End - #59

Daemon

In the Friar's Study

Spoiler
    Show
    Even Asher has to chuckle at the Baron's materialism. "Can you pay him, Friar?"

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

In the Friar's Room
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Friar sighed and nodded. He had of the Baron's ways but you never truly know until you deal with them. He made a note so that he would remember the Baron's "generosity" and assured him he would be paid upon return with the Scriptures. He led the Baron out as he returned to his study, their business complete for now.