New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default What's the use of hand crossbows?

You can see all the core weapons here.

The hand crossbow is an exotic weapon and deals a mere 1d4 damage for a medium character. The light crossbow is a simple weapon and deals a whoopin' 1d8 damage for a medium character. Doesn't this make the hand crossbow completely obsolete?

Sure, it's possible to duel wield a hand crossbow, but that means you have to burn a feat for the proficiency, another one for two weapon fighting, take rapid reload and do who knows what to make sure you can reload both crossbows. In the end you've burned at least three feats to do the exact same ammount of damage you'd get with a light crossbow, a weapon everybody (even a monk or a wizard) can use! You'd be better off using exotic weapon prof. for a repeating light crossbow.

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I find it hard to believe that a simple weapon could be so vastly superior to an exotic one.
    Last edited by Kaeso; 2010-09-21 at 10:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What's the use of hand crossbows?

Hand crossbow is easier to conceal, and rogues gain the proficiency for free. Then there are some decent feats for it, such as Hand Crossbow Focus (WF and Rapid Reload in one package, excellent for Crossbow Sniper). The weapon damage shouldn't be one's main source of damage, either.

Though yeah, in the end, it's not worth the feat for EWP, much like most other exotic weapons.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alot of exotic weapons a just a trap (even though most look cool.) There are a few exotic weapons that give you things you don't get from martial or simple weapons, the best being the spiked chain as it has reach, threatens adjacent squares, can trip, be finessed and 2 handed power attacked with.

In general the other crossbows are superior, but most importantly the hand crossbow looks cooler They have bonuses for being concealed I believe, can indeed be dual wielded and are on the rogueish proficiency lists. This is important as alot of common rogue builds use TWF to get extra sneak attack damage and the ability to get in that extra few dice of sneak attack is great at low levels. Of course once you have your iterave attack then it'd be better to us a bow for ranged sneak attack, or just be up close as it'll save on feats.

But most importantly they're cool
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Hand crossbow is easier to conceal, and rogues gain the proficiency for free. Then there are some decent feats for it, such as Hand Crossbow Focus (WF and Rapid Reload in one package, excellent for Crossbow Sniper). The weapon damage shouldn't be one's main source of damage, either.

Though yeah, in the end, it's not worth the feat for EWP, much like most other exotic weapons.
    What book is hand crossbow focus from? I can't find it {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-09-21 at 05:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

also there is an ubber full skirmish dual hand crossbow precition damage wich can add dex to damage, extend the skirmish to 60', and that u just need a wand of unseen servan and that its.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lookin' cool. All crossbows suck compared to throwing weapons and are generally more difficult to optimize than bows. If I were to use a crossbow, it would be to TWF hand crossbows. If a character is relying on a weapon's base damage after third level he's a chump, plain and simple. And if you're going for bonus damage dice on attacks, you might as well try to get more attacks (ie fight with a weapon in each hand). Rogues and Ninjas are the obvious users - with Ninjas (by some miracle) actually being better than Rogues for this one particular combat tactic - because they both get easy bonus damage and free proficiency in the weapon.

It's a feat whirlpool, but it can be made to work. What useful thing are you going to do with that one light crossbow that someone TWFing hand crossbows can't do better?
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2010-09-21 at 10:33 AM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A rogue can hold a hand crossbow in one hand and something else in the other. The damage difference is negligible beyond very low levels.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Lookin' cool. All crossbows suck compared to throwing weapons and are generally more difficult to optimize than bows. If I were to use a crossbow, it would be to TWF hand crossbows. If a character is relying on a weapon's base damage after third level he's a chump, plain and simple. And if you're going for bonus damage dice on attacks, you might as well try to get more attacks (ie fight with a weapon in each hand). Rogues and Ninjas are the obvious users - with Ninjas (by some miracle) actually being better than Rogues for this one particular combat tactic - because they both get easy bonus damage and free proficiency in the weapon.

It's a feat whirlpool, but it can be made to work. What useful thing are you going to do with that one light crossbow that someone TWFing hand crossbows can't do better?

I disagree with the statement of "more dificult to optimize"

-crossbows can add dex to damage, bow don't.
    -crossbows had less range than bows, precition damage work on short range.

both need several feats and features for shine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    What book is hand crossbow focus from? I can't find it {Scrubbed}
    Drow of the Underdark, I seem to recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinix View Post

Crossbow Sniper is just 1/2 of Dex mod to damage, and I don't see how having less range is better.

Besides, needing several specific feats from different sources to compete with bows does mean "more difficult to optimize".
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2010-09-22 at 09:07 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

...You do know bows can shoot at short range too, right?

Your second point is ridiculous.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I find it hard to believe that a simple weapon could be so vastly superior to an exotic one.
    2 for 1 deal on ammunition? Other than that, I got nothing.

EDIT: Not even that, was looking at the repeating version.
    EDIT2: Ah, discovered one thing - firing a Light crossbow one-handed gives it a -2. Hand Crossbow doesn't have that penalty. I think this could allow you to reload, fire at full attack bonus, and still get a shield bonus from a Buckler.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2010-09-21 at 11:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's basically useful because rogues get it for free. Other than that, nothing really. The difference between a shortbow and a hand crossbow isn't much for a ranged rogue; crossbow has the feat tax of Rapid Reload but you get Weapon Focus with it for free thanks to Hand Crossbow Focus. Crossbow Sniper often won't come up, in my experience, because it's a) not a whole lot of extra damage and b) rogues are already feat-starved, so the difference between Crossbow Sniper and composite shortbows is often nonexistent. Hand crossbows have the minor advantage that if you're running around with a Str score below 10, it doesn't hurt your damage.

In most cases, I'd probably just stick with shortbows.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Flavour?

Style?

*gasp* Maybe even Roleplaying reasons?

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    Flavour?

Style?

Why? A crossbow is still a crossbow, and both can be fired from one hand.
    It hardly makes a difference unless you're planning to make a detailed sketch of your character, and even then the difference is neglectable.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Why? A crossbow is still a crossbow, and both can be fired from one hand.
    It hardly makes a difference unless you're planning to make a detailed sketch of your character, and even then the difference is neglectable.
    Because hand crossbows being easier to conceal could obviously never motivate a character to use one. Nope, an assassin using a concealable weapon has nothing to do with roleplaying.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Because hand crossbows being easier to conceal could obviously never motivate a character to use one. Nope, an assassin using a concealable weapon has nothing to do with roleplaying.
    Yeah, I think it is mostly a roleplaying thing, even if they have given hand crossbow users some decent feat choices.

Also, hand crossbows are used by Drow to deliver poison into my characters. ;)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Though given that it already pays for the ability with shorter range and lesser damage, I don't see the need for it to be Exotic.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Composite bows add Str to damage. Crossbows never add a stat to damage without a feat.

Long and shortbows are equally capable of covering closer range than crossbows, and are also capable of using Manyshot (or the Greater version), Rapid Shot, and even just the full-attack action without a feat.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Where is it stated that hand crossbows are easier to conceal than light crossbows? The SRD doesn't say anything about it and the PHB only says it's favoured by stealthy characters in the flavour text. Unlike the dagger it doesn't give a bonus on sleight of hand checks.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Where is it stated that hand crossbows are easier to conceal than light crossbows? The SRD doesn't say anything about it and the PHB only says it's favoured by stealthy characters in the flavour text. Unlike the dagger it doesn't give a bonus on sleight of hand checks.
    Sleight of hand. You can hide a light weapon or an easily concealed range weapon. I wouldn't call a crossbow an easily concealed ranged weapon.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Actually the SRD does have something to say about hand crossbows being easily concealable.

You can hide a small object (including a light weapon or an easily concealed ranged weapon, such as a dart, sling, or hand crossbow) on your body.

Check the skill descriptions next time.

Daggers are easier to conceal than any other weapon, but you can only conceal light weapons to start with...
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-09-21 at 11:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

In earlier editions, hand crossbows were primarily a poison delivery device. In 3.x, they work for that and for precision damage delivery.

Plus, they look like pistols.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Composite bows add Str to damage. Crossbows never add a stat to damage without a feat.

Long and shortbows are equally capable of covering closer range than crossbows, and are also capable of using Manyshot (or the Greater version), Rapid Shot, and even just the full-attack action without a feat.
    You're not going to get any argument out of me that regular bows (long, short, composite, even bone) are superior to crossbows in every or nearly every crunch category. However, they sometimes just have a better flavor.

For example, I have a buddy who made a dwarven crossbow sniper. Now he used a heavy, repeating crossbow because it seemed more appropriate for the concept and build (dwarven outcast, spec ops kind of feel)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    Flavour?

Style?

There's no such thing as "roleplaying reasons" IC. The only people who don't use the most effective weapons for their abilities are these who can't afford them, and these who have enough confidence in their skills to purposely choose subpar equipment for style.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    There's no such thing as "roleplaying reasons" IC. The only people who don't use the most effective weapons for their abilities are these who can't afford them, and these who have enough confidence in their skills to purposely choose subpar equipment for style.
    Or people who want weapons they can hide easily.

Although if you want a ranged weapon you can hide easily, use a sling.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Or people who want weapons they can hide easily.
    That counts as an effective weapon for your abilities. I didn't just mean raw power.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
    You're not going to get any argument out of me that regular bows (long, short, composite, even bone) are superior to crossbows in every or nearly every crunch category. However, they sometimes just have a better flavor.

For example, I have a buddy who made a dwarven crossbow sniper. Now he used a heavy, repeating crossbow because it seemed more appropriate for the concept and build (dwarven outcast, spec ops kind of feel)
    Yeah, I'll give you that. But the person I was responding to was using mechanical points of justification: I felt the need to respond in kind.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

With Aptitude Weapon (ToB) Composite bows add 1/2 Dex and Str to damage.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

With Aptitude Weapon, you can fire splitting arrows/bolts and fire another splitting projectile again every time one threatens a crit and fire again if they confirm their crit. Crossbows have a better threat range than bows, and hand crossbows can be dual-wielded to nearly double the amount of projectiles you shoot, making it less and less likely for your endless volley to lose its momentum.

Aptitude Weapons are silly.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Hand crossbows still require a free hand to reload.