New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

But you are asking for acknowledgment of the original source; something which you had not done.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Archonic's Archaic Acronymical Antidisestablishmentarianism Random banter 148

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    But you are asking for acknowledgment of the original source; something which you had not done.
    I was not basing my words on any article.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

You were referencing a dictionary and webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citation"
    Citations[/URL]]A bibliographic citation is a reference to a book, article, web page, or other published item. Citations should supply sufficient detail to identify the item uniquely.
    Citations

"Citation content" from Citations
    Spoiler
    Show

* Web site: author(s), article and publication title where appropriate, as well as a URL, and a date when the site was accessed.
    Last edited by Amiel; 2010-10-19 at 02:26 AM.
    and eternity in an hour.

4. - Top - End - #1204

You were referencing a dictionary and webpage.
    No, I was recalling and relaying something I learned a long time ago, unknown source. Something that would certainly not hold up in academia, but is fine for casual conversation. None of my words were based upon any article I had read proximately to posting that or any article that I could recall specifically.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

You can always argue that
    and eternity in an hour.

6. - Top - End - #1206

You can always argue that
    And this isn't academia.

But yes, please try to cite your sources wherever possible. Particularly when you have recently viewed the source. I was asking primarily as one of politeness, to you, the other posters, and the sources. But also to help you, and us, stay out of any trouble.

Politeness to you, because when someone (such as myself) discovers how closely your post resembles a published article, it undermines you.
    Politeness to others, because they can verify the validity of your statement and do further research.
    Politeness to the sources, because they are getting credit where credit is due.

I know it isn't always possible and this is not academia, but when it is and when you are doing something such as providing a summary, you should.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

So, back to lolcats?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Amiel; 2010-10-19 at 02:48 AM.
    and eternity in an hour.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I know a good World War I poem.

It goes something like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    'The German Guns' by S. O. Baldrick

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
    BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
    BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
    BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
    This is why i miss having the internet at home...

Private Baldrick: I could go on all night.
    Captain blackadder: Not with a bayonet in your throat you couldn't!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    Ring around the rosey,
    Black marks on neck from plague
    A pocketful of posies.
    Posies kept in pockets to ward off plague
    ashes, ashes.
    Burn the bodies
    We all fall down.
    Death

That's just the interpretation I heard. You seem more knowledgeable on the subject that I am though.
    I know this is a late reply and that it sparked a bit of a discussion, but I thought I'd just throw this in as well:

QI is the fountain of all truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Banned

{{scrubbed}}

@V: In light of not violating the three post rule. . .(retroactively runs around in blind panic, screaming for mercy)
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2010-10-19 at 11:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Troll in the Playground

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced

EDIT: snippet of the article:

'Glee' Creator Ryan Murphy Eyes Redo Of 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' For Fox 2000

EXCLUSIVE: Glee creator Ryan Murphy just finished an episode of his hit show that is devoted to the camp classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show. By the time it airs October 26, Murphy might be in a deal to direct the feature film remake. I'm told that he's being courted by Fox 2000 to direct a remake of the 1975 musical, which has grossed north of $100 million and is considered the longest running theatrical release in film history because it still packs the faithful into midnight shows. The project is taking shape at Fox 2000, with Peter Chernin producing along with Lou Adler.
    Last edited by Jack Squat; 2010-10-19 at 07:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    In light of not violating the three post rule. . .
    You know that only applies to SMBG, right?

ION: Phonecalls can be annoying. Especially when someone calls and asks "Can I speak to Mr. [Thufir's Surname]?" Which one. There are three of us who live here.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Dwarf in the Playground

All glory to the hypnoQI.
    Who made my awesome mad scientist hamster? Why Dr.Epic, of course.

Any Washington GitPers that want to have a meet up/play RPGs/Light things on fire, please PM me.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    So yes, the metal skeleton can be haulted by the power of rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Their souls taste of rancid trout and the foul aftertaste of failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ogre in the Playground

I know this is a late reply and that it sparked a bit of a discussion, but I thought I'd just throw this in as well:

QI is the fountain of all truth.
    Well I guess I know now. I should track down my high school history teacher and tell him he was misinformed.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2010-10-19 at 10:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    You know that only applies to SMBG, right?

ION: Phonecalls can be annoying. Especially when someone calls and asks "Can I speak to Mr. [Thufir's Surname]?" Which one. There are three of us who live here.
    "No, you can't. He was biten by a radioactive moose and is now outside eating the neighbor's flowerbed."

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

Well I guess I know now. I should track down my high school history teacher and tell him he was misinformed.
    Wasn't really meant to further debunk your explanation.
    It was more a handy reason to link to QI and hopefully derail someone from their everyday business. Yes, Archie, I know you already told me.

QI is teh win.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    "No, you can't. He was biten by a radioactive moose and is now outside eating the neighbor's flowerbed."
    My sister had one of those callers who were really persistent and didn't want to accept that I'd moved abroad the first times they asked for me.
    in the end, my sister told them that I was 'no longer with us'.
    They stopped calling after that.
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2010-10-19 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Barbarian in the Playground

Did not do project last night. Doing project now. Except not really, because I'm on here.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

My sister had one of those callers who were really persistent and didn't want to accept that I'd moved abroad the first times they asked for me.
    Heh, just a few minutes ago, my father had to deal with a door to dorr sales(wo)man who were trying to push him into switching our electric company. She was really persistent, but after a while he managed to make her leave. Afterwards, I overheard he and mum saying something about being inured to them thanks to the Christmas magazines' season.

ION: What must have been an airplane flying really low passed over us just a short time ago. The noise was deafening here inside the house, but I couldn't see anything when I went out on the vestibule terrace, thanks to the low-hung rain clouds that have pestered us all day. I sure hope they weren't suffering from any serious problems up there...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Oh.... man, I should have done that. Last year I got one of those asking for someone I don't know.

You know, it's OK once or twice, but after that can't they just register that the number is wrong? I mean, seriously.... <.<

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Banned

I kept getting a wrong number from outside the country. The voice was thick with drink, and angry. I looked at the country prefix, ever-so-carefully assembled the proper foreign phrase, and blurted it out on the third time the (ever more irate) caller called. The calls ended, and I was quite proud of myself--until my husband pointed out that +44 is the UK, and in all likelihood the caller was, in fact, speaking English.

If I may swish about in QI fashion, it is, as Kipling might phrase it, a source of unimpeachable inaccuracy. It loves to flaunt its academic credentials but never actually show its work, as it were. (unswishing) Yes, I'm enough of a nerdess to watch the after-quiz-show credits to see citations or the lack thereof. . .and to think I've been doing so since reasonably early Jeopardy! I have no life. (swoon upon convenient wicker fainting-couch) . . .Ok, perhaps not quite done with the swishing. I I I, me me me, miiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (windowpanes crack)!

"I think." Convenient tool, for the transformation of fact into undisputable opinion*, at the low cost of removing some power and force from the statement now suborned into a clause! So. I think that if you're going to go challenging anything other than the most easy-going of teachers, you might want to do a teensy bit more research than just taking the word of someone who watched an episode of a quiz show--and one that is using that title of "quiz show" as a veneer to actually be what the Brits call a panel show, where instead of inarguable facts (oh how I hate that adjective flip-flopping from one side to the other) you have four D-list celebrities bantering about their opinions.

*Not that people don't try to dispute the validity of holding the opinion, mind you, but no one can dispute that you hold the opinion. Watch some of the Discovery Channel's dodgier docu-tainment and listen to which ones use "I think" and "I believe" instead of fact.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-10-19 at 01:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1221

Grrrr.
    Iust got over Fresher's Flu (stupid fresher's infecting us all) and it iust so happened to decide to have a torrential downpour the only time I was outside all day for more than five minutes!
    With no iacket on.
    When I was going out to get groceries (and they didn't have what I wanted either).

Soaked. Right through.
    I ended up lurking in the shop for about ten minutes hoping it would stop. And it did not. Granted, the rain slackened off, but it was still wet.
    And it was about the time people were going to formal hall for dinner, so people were dressed quite smartly in suits and nice dresses and things.
    I pity them. They were soaked through as well.

So now I'm coming down with another cough.
    Growl.
    Gonna go get my ginger and lemon tea.
    *hacking cough*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Grrrr.
    Iust got over Fresher's Flu (stupid fresher's infecting us all) and it iust so happened to decide to have a torrential downpour the only time I was outside all day for more than five minutes!
    With no iacket on.
    When I was going out to get groceries (and they didn't have what I wanted either).

Soaked. Right through.
    I ended up lurking in the shop for about ten minutes hoping it would stop. And it did not. Granted, the rain slackened off, but it was still wet.
    And it was about the time people were going to formal hall for dinner, so people were dressed quite smartly in suits and nice dresses and things.
    I pity them. They were soaked through as well.

So now I'm coming down with another cough.
    Growl.
    Gonna go get my ginger and lemon tea.
    *hacking cough*
    That's unpleasant. Reminds me of a time I was at work, and, I'm sure, the entire atmosphere suddenly decided to turn into water. You could barely here yourself think in the store. I believe it hailed too.

Thankfully it stopped before work was done. My coat was in the car.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Banned

I assure you, if you're out in hail-spitting the-sky-has-inverted rain, the coat doesn't help much. Leather, pleather, and brimmed hat, the first two of which are impervious to moisture (the third still needs to be field-tested after waxing, doubt I used enough wax), and I still staggered uphill like the metaphorical drowned rat. Too drained even to flop dramatically once I got to shelter, took all the energy I could muster just to peel off the impermeable layers and hang them in the tub to drip dry. Feeling like the naked animal just in regular, hailed-upon, saturated cold clothing, and hating every lock of cold soaked hair plastered onto my neck. That's hundreds of hatreds. Cold, stripped, defeated, fuming, unwarmed by the hatred--animal.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

I assure you, if you're out in hail-spitting the-sky-has-inverted rain, the coat doesn't help much. Leather, pleather, and brimmed hat, the first two of which are impervious to moisture (the third still needs to be field-tested after waxing, doubt I used enough wax), and I still staggered uphill like the metaphorical drowned rat. Too drained even to flop dramatically once I got to shelter, took all the energy I could muster just to peel off the impermeable layers and hang them in the tub to drip dry. Feeling like the naked animal just in regular, hailed-upon, saturated cold clothing, and hating every lock of cold soaked hair plastered onto my neck. That's hundreds of hatreds. Cold, stripped, defeated, fuming, unwarmed by the hatred--animal.
    Probably true, but it was a short distance and a coat would stop most of the water over such a distance.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Banned

Ah, right. CAR. Missed that crucial word. (moment of blind, seething, this-still-isn't-warming-my-saturated-to-the-point-of-pasty-white-wrinkles-carcass ENVY )

. . .Yeah. Different if you have a car for the commute. Certainly. (. . .drip. . .drip. . .that inexplicable belly-button rivulet. . .drip. . .)

And where, I ask, is the justice in the quickest way to warm oneself being a hot shower? That's more water!

Physics is a cruel mistress--and it's boffing meteorology on the sly.

26. - Top - End - #1226

That's unpleasant. Reminds me of a time I was at work, and, I'm sure, the entire atmosphere suddenly decided to turn into water. You could barely here yourself think in the store. I believe it hailed too.

Thankfully it stopped before work was done. My coat was in the car.
    Lucky for you. I only had to walk a half-mile round trip, but the roads had turned to rivers during that downpour.
    It was raining up.

I had that happen a few times. Once I was wearing the thickest coat in the entire house, and the rain got through in a few minutes. So I was overheated and soaking wet and cold all at once.

Today and most other times that happened? My less-than-£10 trainers (and they're usually cracked and holey as well), my lazy day iogging bottoms, a thing t-shirt and my fleecey super-absorbent top.
    Rat tails hair dripping my down back, water pouring off my nose and blinding my glasses so I couldn't really see.
    It was essentially showering with my clothes on. Nothing worse than having to strip off cold, wet clingy clothing in a chilly room. And my radiator's broken so they're all drip-drying very slowly in my bedroom because I share the bathroom with a fourth year physicist.
    No way I'm hanging up my clobber in there.
    And after I had my shower, the neighbour had his, but I can hear the shower plip plip blip plibbing away in the background, but I've only warmed up enough to be cosy and not-hating-the-world, so I can't be bothered to turn it off depiste it driving me to distraction.

And there's a cold snap on the way with possible 'wintery showers'. That's Britlander speak for very cold rain and potential sleet.
    I think Camford's conspiring to kill me.
    It's the only reasonable explanation.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-10-19 at 02:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We got the order forms for class rings today. (Even though we're only Sophmores, it's so we can pay with "lay a way.) And they have a ring in their that's $1,333.

I mean Jesus. Saying "Jesus" isn't against the rules is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Banned

. . .and the worst part is, by my back-of-the-envelope calculations, that's the same pricing structure they used *cough* years ago for my class's rings including solid low-karat gold, only increased by the relative expense of gold. The value of gold has remained inflated through changes of leadership, economy, and supply, so the solid rings of the past few years couldn't even be considered a good investment in raw material. Friggin' highway robbery. Can't even say that I wear mine nowadays, but then I went from eight rings to one.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

. . .and the worst part is, by my back-of-the-envelope calculations, that's the same pricing structure they used *cough* years ago for my class's rings including solid low-karat gold, only increased by the relative expense of gold. The value of gold has remained inflated through changes of leadership, economy, and supply, so the solid rings of the past few years couldn't even be considered a good investment in raw material. Friggin' highway robbery. Can't even say that I wear mine nowadays, but then I went from eight rings to one.
    Cheapest ring is $80 dollars, but the $1,300 one is suppose to be 18 Carat Gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Banned

Sheesh. I think ours topped out at 14k--that's what I got anyway, gold being relatively cheap at the time. Thought 18k was too soft to take the stamping and abuse of being such a tall setting.

Pardon my asking, but are you in a rich district or something, that they think there's a market for 18k?