New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    I can attest from experience that an unexpected clinch attack, especially with a partner to deliver beatings, can brutally maim a Martial Artist Scourge, or outright kill anyone dependant on Adorjan's PD less able to escape a clinch. As for Swirly's PD... Yeah, I don't know about that one. Constantly shake up tactics to accelerate WP drain?
    Poor Wrath didn't even have a chance. Luckily he escaped at the last minute.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion: There's a God for that! Except for Sorcery, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    I can attest from experience that an unexpected clinch attack, especially with a partner to deliver beatings, can brutally maim a Martial Artist Scourge, or outright kill anyone dependant on Adorjan's PD less able to escape a clinch. As for Swirly's PD... Yeah, I don't know about that one. Constantly shake up tactics to accelerate WP drain?
    That has more to do with the nature of "unexpected" and "clinch" than it does with the negatable nature of perfect defenses. Yes, you can box a Scourge in, but eventually he just starts running on the cieling or flying through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    That's everything I've been saying about how, well, I may be a newbie, but from my point of view it always seemed that the current form and implementation of Perfect Defenses has been a damn disease for the mechanics designers (in the "eh, they'll just PD it" way that breeds laziness and disregard for decent balance), and that for all the fluff the game tosses at you Exalted is a game of infinitely fragile characters and which will stomp in your face if you actually try to be heroic and take risks and such instead of playing "tanky" with defenses - only infinitely more eloquently put and with actual ideas on how to solve it I can't think up because I don't have enough experience with the system. And you ask what I think? I think you're awesome for taking the time to write that up, is what I think!
    You'd be surprised how much insight new players can give into a system. I mean, you picked up really quick that most Exalts are glass cannons. Things that don't shock a veteran will start flashing red lights for a newbie.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

I'm thinking about doing a series of homebrew artifacts, monsters, and Charms that emulate the God of War series, but before I get into it to deep I'm testing the waters with this first effort. I'll say it from the start, game balance is NOT my first priority here, it's making accurate expys of the game's elements. So here's my first effort, starting at the top of the GoW weapon food chain.

Blade of Olympus (Artifact N/A)

A six-foot sword that pulses with blue light, the Blade of Olympus is the ultimate weapon of the Gods. It has all the abilities of a Grand Daiklave, except as followes: Increase Accuracy to +3, increase Damage to +14L/5, increase Rate to 4, Increase Defense to +2, increase Str minimum to 4, and remove all hearthstone settings. The sword has the material bonuses of both orichalcum and soulsteel, and can be attuned by Solar, Abyssal, and Infernal Exalted. The Blade of Olympus cannot be disarmed except by a being with a greater essence trait. The blade lets the wielder use several Charms at no mote, Willpower, or health level cost, depending on the wielder's permanent Essence. The Charms are still limited by the wielder's Essence trait whenever applicable.

Essence 2+:
    Peony Blossom Attack
    Dipping Swallow Defense

Essence 4+:
    Blazing Solar Bolt

Essence 6+:
    Golden Destruction Cut

When the wielder reaches Essence 8, the sword can use Blazing Solar Bolt as an innate power rather than a charm, and can use it as part of a flurry freely.
    I tried to emulate the Blade's powers from God of War 2 as closely as I could. One power, Divine Sacrifice, created a dome of blue energy that sucks red orbs from living enemies it touches. I think the soulsteel mote drain quality emulates this closely enough without the need to create an entirely new ability that could be used to gain experience points far faster than normal. I considered direct mote theft from enemies, but mote management is already a critical part of combat and the sword has free Charms already. The sword can be attuned by Solars and Abyssals because of the materials, but I included Infernals because that's what Kratos really was in GoW2. The Titans aren't really like the Primordials, but they're the closest allegory in the games.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    So here's my first effort, starting at the top of the GoW weapon food chain.
    I think giving the Blade of Olympus all of those free charms both severely underestimates Kratos and entirely misses the point of the weapon. Stuff like Peony Blossom Attack and Dipping Swallow Defense are things that Kratos would have already had, and were not a function of the weapon. In addition it misses a few of the more vital functions of the sword. Here's my counter-take (take from it what you will):
    Spoiler
    Show

Blade of Olympus
    Artifact: ●●●●●
    This sword, forged during the Primordial War by a long-dead Celestial God, functions in all respects as an Orichalcum Grand Daiklave, save for the following additional effects.

Any spirit or demon slain by the Blade is permanently dissipated, never to be reformed or remade.

The Blade may be used as a ranged weapon, discharging bolts of pure essence. This costs the wielder 2 motes per attack with the following statistics:
    Spd 5, Acc +2, Dmg 10L, Rate 2, Range 60

A wielder with Essence 5 or greater may further invest himself in the Blade. When attuning to it, he may choose to sacrifice a number of Permanent Dots of Essence equal to his current maximum -1, to instill them into his weapon. He retains any charms or abilities he previously had, but may not use them unless he has a way to meet their prerequisites. Henceforth, when they are wielding the Blade, they function as if they had their former Essence score, as of the time they sacrificed to it. In addition, with this higher attunment comes greater power. They add their Essence in dice to the raw damage the Blade deals in Step 7 of attack resolution, and it no longer costs them motes to use it as a ranged weapon.

This effect is dependent on the current owner of the weapon. If someone sacrifices their Essence to the Blade, these bonuses only function for them. Should an owner sacrifice their Essence, lose the Blade, and then have it returned to them, it still functions with this higher potential for them. Someone who has sacrificed their Essence to the Blade of Olympus may still raise their Essence score with Experience.

Ex. Kratos is Essence 5. He pours his Essence into the Blade of Olympus, becoming Essence 1. However, when he is wielding the Blade, he is considered Essence 5, and may use any charms he has that have a prerequisite up to Essence 5. Should he lose the Blade of Olympus, he will be Essence 1 again, and not be able to use any of his fancy charms. Later, he spends 80 Experience to get back up to Essence 5. Then, he regains the Blade of Olympus. While wielding it, he is stilled considered Essence 5 (it does not double to Essence 10), yet retains the additional bonus damage for him.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2010-11-01 at 09:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

The point of the stand-alone charms in my version was the sword's powers cost him nothing, he could throw energy blasts all day and not use any of his own magic. Solar Bolt also has a fixed range, just like the sword's energy blast. Their power is static, which is why the charms are independent of his own power for the most part. The sword grows more powerful as the user's Essence increases to reflect the in-game benefits of leveling up the sword. The other Charms reflect the sword's attack combos. Kratos himself swings the sword, but the L1+ 任 combo is unique to the weapon, all the secondary weapons have their own combos. An Kratos himself isn't bothered by how many attacks he blocks, he still defends successfully, just like a DV that doesn't need to replenish, thus DSD. Putting your own power into the weapon is what the fluff describes it as, I'm more focused on emulating the actual gameplay elements. Like the Anger of the Gods power the sword gets at level 3, where every swing throws an energy blast. The free Charms is why I think it's N/A instead of ●●●●●, the wielder can freely supplement any combo he uses with the BSB attack.

I plan on doing the Blades of Chaos/Athena/Exile as slightly upgraded chain daiklaves with little special abilities, the way he uses them will be a CMA that includes his dodge-rolls for a perfect defense, that's what will let you fight like him, not the weapon's own powers. The Fleece will be his perfect parry. The Spear of Destiny is easy, a few modifications to a crystalburst lance will do it. The Barbarian Hammer is a soulsteel grand goremaul with a few added powers. The real challenge is the CMA. The idea with this is to create a set of Charms and artifacts that will let you play as Kratos in the game itself, not the fluff in the cutscenes.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Buffed weapon stats and free Charm uses genrally make the most uninteresting artifacts. Good artifacts high-dot artifacts do something that no one's current Charm set lets them do, like the Singing Staff.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

I made it N/A so enterprising Twilights can't make their own copies, to ensure there's just one. The sword's stats would be massive with both material qualities added, the modified stats I posted do not include those. I might add an Essence 10 power that lets you do a mass-banishment like Zeus did (or tried to) to the Titans, and something like the Glorious Scythe to emulate his army-killing slash in Rhodes. Maybe an Elemental Lens effect, since the power of the sword's energy blasts seemed to change with the wielder.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Artifact N/A are still able to be built by enterprising Twilights. It just takes a little extra effort. The rules for doing so are in Wonders of the Lost Age.

Again, I'd like to state that nothing about this artifact makes me want to use it. It's a whole host of Charm effects and artifact powers crammed together into one unholy conglomeration. Any particular effect that I want can be garnered for much less effort than convincing a Storyteller to allow me to pack an Artifact N/A.

A good high-cost artifact is like the Forgotton Blade, which carves away memories. It does something you couldn't otherwise do, something that wouldn't be easy to replicate using Charms.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes. A Sledge of Baking Smite is much more interesting than a charm-sword.

The former makes a cake pop into Creation after each successful strike which deals damage. The other is...a sword.

Keep at it, though, and you may find an idea which suits you.

Last edited by NeoRetribution; 2010-11-02 at 03:15 PM.
    "Empathy comes from the choice to understand others. Understanding others is based in two components: Love and Curiosity. Mix thoroughly. Add only low heat and allow to simmer. Check frequently to prevent burning."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

The problem is the weapons and powers from the games are just that, forms of attack. They don't actually do anything else.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is the weapons and powers from the games are just that, forms of attack. They don't actually do anything else.
    The sword does other things than attack.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Bugbear in the Playground

I suppose you are technically right in that it can also defend. Nevertheless, you are missing the point.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Yep. Like a sword which can cut through the fabric of the world into other realities on a whim, or a warhammer which reshapes the elements into new creatures never before seen by man, or the bow which can unerringly carry you to the location where it's arrow ends it's flight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Indeed.

Can your sword communicate telepathically with the Maiden of Battles? Can your sword always point straight up if left unattended? Can your sword warn you if cute, cuddly, feline creatures approach? Can your sword heal every slice of damage that it inflicts?

"Empathy comes from the choice to understand others. Understanding others is based in two components: Love and Curiosity. Mix thoroughly. Add only low heat and allow to simmer. Check frequently to prevent burning."

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

The only thing the sword did besides kill people was when Zeus tried to banish the Titans, and even that is unclear, seeing as how Kratos snagged them with his time powers and brought them to the future. So can the sword really banish things? Unknown.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

You'd think Zeus would know.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRetribution View Post
    Indeed.

Can your sword communicate telepathically with the Maiden of Battles? Can your sword always point straight up if left unattended? Can your sword warn you if cute, cuddly, feline creatures approach? Can your sword heal every slice of damage that it inflicts?

Seriously?

Not every power is cool, but every high powered thing in exalted should have cool powers. Your sarcasm is not endearing.

Also, a sword that heals is an interesting idea... *begins writing*
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Just because it's an attack power doesn't mean that it can't be interesting. Take the five dot soulsteel daiklave from Oaedenol (I forget the name). It eats souls. It can skyrocket your damage by sending the souls of your slain enemies to Oblivion. All it is good for is killing, but it does killing in an amazing way.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Bugbear in the Playground

But a better five-dot artifact would be something like 'eats souls and contains a self-contained 'afterlife' which the wielder can visit'. Something with story possibilities.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Goddammit why is creating a character so hard? I keep running out of ability dots and Charms to create what I want.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Goddammit why is creating a character so hard? I keep running out of ability dots and Charms to create what I want.
    This is why I start from Charms and work backwards these days.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sarcasm? What sarcasm?

I do not recall addressing anyone other than Rhyvurg with my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg
    It is common in Exalted for an artifact to do more than simple battle, or what one would assume to be the basic function of an item in question. I do not know if that makes for a difficult fit with what is trying to be done with the Blade of Olympus, but that seems to be the perspective that some of us are viewing from.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, hey guys. Finally decided on my sword's powers. Went with the teleportation-through-flames effect. Came in kinda handy when we were facing a ton of mortal thieves.

And I pretty much bisected a raptor cat. ...Which is exactly what it sounds like.

It's pretty fun. Exalted, that is.

-And as a sidenote, Mars isn't my great, great, great, etc. grandma anymore. ST apparently figured out a more appropriate ancestor, but he's being mysterious about it. Whatever, I love story hooks.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Food for thought: In First Edition, the Unconquered Sun wasn't a paragon of righteousness. He was merely the chief war god of Creation. Knowing this, what does that say about the Usurpation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Food for thought: In First Edition, the Unconquered Sun wasn't a paragon of righteousness. He was merely the chief war god of Creation. Knowing this, what does that say about the Usurpation?
    He isn't a paragon of righteousness. He's a paragon of Virtue. Very different. He is the most courageous, most temperant, most compassionate, and has the the greatest conviction of any being in Creation.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    And I pretty much bisected a raptor cat. ...Which is exactly what it sounds like.
    This isn't particularly impressive. Essence 1 animals pose absolutely no threat to anything above perhaps an Enlightened Mortal. Perhaps. Some Essence 1 mortals are pretty badass too.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Second try!

Blade of Olympus (Artifact N/A)

A six-foot sword that pulses with blue light, the Blade of Olympus is the ultimate weapon of the Gods. It has all the abilities of a Grand Daiklave, except as followes: Increase Accuracy to +3, increase Damage to +14L/5, increase Rate to 4, Increase Defense to +2, increase Str minimum to 4, and remove all hearthstone settings. The sword has the material bonuses of both orichalcum and soulsteel, and can be attuned by Solar, Abyssal, and Infernal Exalted. The Blade of Olympus cannot be disarmed except by a being with a greater essence trait. The blade lets the wielder use several Charms at no mote, Willpower, instead using it's own internal mote reserve. The Charms are still limited by the wielder's Essence trait whenever applicable.

Essence 2+:
    Peony Blossom Attack, Heavenly Guardian Defense

Essence 4+:
    Blazing Solar Bolt

Essence 6+:
    Golden Destruction Cut

When the wielder reaches Essence 8, the sword can use Blazing Solar Bolt as an innate power rather than a charm, and can use it as part of a flurry freely.

Any ghost, demon, elemental, spirit or god killed by the sword is consumed utterly as a perfect effect. It's mote pool is added to the sword's, replenishing the power the sword uses for it's Charms. In addition, the sword stores a single use of every Charm and Arcanoi it's victims know, but after it's use the power fades from the sword until another being with that Charm is slain and consumed. Should the sword's mote pool and Charm reserve ever be depleted completely, the sword draws power from the wielder directly. What Charms and motes the sword holds when found is at the Storyteller's discretion.

Someone with an Essence of at least 3 can use an (Occult+Intelligence) check with a difficulty of 4 to send their consciousness into the sword to commune with any spirit contained within that has not been consumed to fuel it's power. If that person is also attuned to the artifact, they can choose to pull that spirit out when they leave the sword, returning them to existence. This communion always lasts a single tick, no matter how long they converse within the sword. That spirit invariably acquires an Intimacy of Blade of Olympus (Intense Fear) from that time onward. Nothing, Incarnae, Yozi, Neverborn, or living Primordial alike can remove this Intimacy.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't particularly impressive. Essence 1 animals pose absolutely no threat to anything above perhaps an Enlightened Mortal. Perhaps. Some Essence 1 mortals are pretty badass too.
    Well, it was fun, which is all that matters. So nyeh.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Now I want to create a series of Charms called Aureate Dragon Cascade that expand on Solar Hero so I don't feel useless taking Solar Hero.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Though I don't have time for an actual game (or, hell, to fully understand the rules), I've come up with a character concept I'd like to play at some future point, and I want to check whether it makes sense with the people who know Exalted better than I do.

The idea is a Gold Faction Sidereal, Chosen of Endings. His Exaltation belonged to a Bronze Faction member back in the first age, and he partly blames himself for the creation of the Abyssals. Therefore, his primary motivation is to redeem the Abyssals.

This requires a fair amount of social contact and back-and-forth with Abyssals (though he spends plenty of time training Solars, assassinating people who threaten Solars he's helping, etc.), so he'd have some social ability in addition to the obvious martial arts and stealth. And he's taught some Abyssals his martial arts and learned a bit of theirs, specifically Hungry Ghost Style, because it looks awesome. He'd also have some pretty high Bureaucracy skills, to avoid getting audited for palling around with people who are trying to destroy Creation. I'm also considering having him use Soulsteel weapons, or paired weapons with one Soulsteel, one Starmetal.

For Virtues, I'm thinking either low Temperance and high Compassion (Deathknights are people too!) or high Temperance low Compassion (Yes, he's slaughtering people with skills I taught him, but mortal lives are a small price to pay to push an Abyssal towards redemption).

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.