New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Heresy Campaign [40k] [IC]

It will be a few hours until we are clear of the planet and able to jump. Once that has happened I will try to arrange for your requests. For now though, I must be about my business. I presume I will see you in the mess at some point.
    And with that the captain turns and heads off, leaving you to your business.
    Characters

Games
    Arda: OOC | IC
    Zombies: OOC | IC
    Islands: OOC | IC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sazzer View Post
    I presume I will see you in the mess at some point.
    'Yeah, probably,' Gavid said, lightly. He was planning on moving in there pretty much full time. Already his stomach was rumbling at the prospect.

But first he had to force himself into some semblance of self-control. He stopped and took a deep breath. There was work to be done. He must keep that in mind.

Turning to the others, he looked thoughtful and said: 'How do we go about this, then? I guess we can go our separate ways, for now, but what do you want me to do? And where shall we meet up later on?'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Kalirush for the most excellent Avatar.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Trenton was glad to see the Captain depart without any visible signs of frustration and anger. As far as he was concerned he and his comrades had played that perfectly. Securing the assistance they needed, leveraging what they could and not being disrespectful or offensive in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Manticorkscrew View Post
    'Yeah, probably,' 'How do we go about this, then? I guess we can go our separate ways, for now, but what do you want me to do? And where shall we meet up later on?'
    “I think that's exactly right Gavid. I don't know about the rest of you but I’m already tired of being unaware of where I am or what i'm walking into. I say it's time we split up to try and rectify that somewhat.”

He turned so he could speak to the entire group.

“I'd suggest unpacking but, from the looks of things, none of us have much in the way of equipment or personnel belongings beyond the bare necessities which is probably something we should remedy before we deploy into a potentially hostile area.”

Trenton was doing his best to sound professional, in truth he had been a far cry from military training but with his upbringing on a naval world like Belias and subsequent indoctrination his manner was at least passable.

“As Cain has probably already figured out i'm going to try and pull every relvant fact in can on Ornsworld from the ships cogitators. Geography, society, history, everything. I'll see if I can't get it copied to dataslates so we can go over the data together. I also intend to pull the Auspex records. I can't help but remember that we have a number of competitors in this endeavour who will also be travelling to Ornsworld. If I can identify the ships likely to be carrying them then we can estimate how far ahead or behind the pack we are once we get there and, if we are behind, get an idea on where they are likely to have landed. Hopefully together that should take care of some of the information deficit we find ourselves facing.”

He was feeling good, really. The worst feeling Alexei knew was to feel lost, helpless, purposeless. Now that he knew what he was doing, now that they had a purpose, his mind was firing on all cylinders.

“Gavid, don't take this the wrong way, but you look like you could do with a change of clothes.”

While the rest of the team were wrapped in flak coats, Gavid was, for some reason, dressed in little more than rags. That would stand out in a planetary community if Ornsworld was anything like Belias.

“Other than that, might want to just move amongst the crew, see what you can find out. We're short on information, goodwill and equipment. If you can get any of that it would help our cause immensely. Mess hall might be a good place to start.”

The Others, Trenton was sure, knew exactly what they were doing. The trooper was a veteran, despite his rank and the Missionary's tale revealed a rugged history of his own. Gavid probably does to in his own way. The kid's obviously a survivor and his manner puts people at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimos View Post
    i'd like to meet in person - if at all possible - the head of your security detail. Since i'm a servant of the Emperor's justice, i'd like to know more about the way our naval colleagues carry out their duties onboard star vessels and -why not- learn from their methods."
    “Cain, I believe you plan to make contact with ships security. I agree that would be valuable although it's well beyond my area of expertise, i deffer to your judgement on how best to proceed. I would imagine such a contact could bring information, goodwill or even basic surplus gear.”

Quote Originally Posted by Norpfang View Post
    I shall begin work on a sermon this night-cycle, then.
    “I was most surprised to hear that the ship lacks a regular service. For my part, I would be most grateful if you would give a sermon. If we are to travel the void, I hope we may do so in the Emperor's light.”

Trenton was suddenly deeply thankful for the cleric's presence and it sounded in his voice. He was at home in space but warp travel was never to be undertaken lightly and as a Psyker he was all to aware what lurked beyond the Geller field. A propper benediction would do much to put his mind and soul at ease.

“ We should still have a few hours before translation which means we probably won't be able to begin immediately, in the mean time, visiting the mess and basic orientation would probably be best. Once night cycle hits, Prayer service may prove an optimum place to meet, after which we may eat, rest and share our findings. Comments gentlemen? ”
    Last edited by Teivel; 2010-11-14 at 09:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Teivel View Post
    “Gavid, don't take this the wrong way, but you look like you could do with a change of clothes.”
    'Yeah, it's true,' Gavid said, sheepishly. There was no denying it. He looked like exactly what he was: a ragamuffin lowlife from the sumps. Not exactly an appropriate costume if he was to try and blend in with the local population on Ornsworld. 'I'll see what I can find.'

“Other than that, might want to just move amongst the crew, see what you can find out. We're short on information, goodwill and equipment. If you can get any of that it would help our cause immensely. Mess hall might be a good place to start.”
    'I was thinking pretty much the same thing,' Gavid nodded. 'Did you just read my mind? How dare you!' He twisted his face into a scowl of mock-outrage. Then he grinned.

'Nah, I'm just teasing,' he said, with a wry chuckle. 'I trust you better than that, I think. Anyway...'

He glanced around the hallway, looking for signs, trying to figure out how he'd get to the mess hall. 'Well, I might as well get started,' he shrugged. 'Good luck everyone. I'll be seeing you.'

Then he started walking. A ship this size, it might take him a while to get anywhere.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-14 at 05:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

I shall join you later in the mess hall. Oh, and before you go, does anybody have a micro-bead? It would be good to keep in touch.
    I sit down and begin to write.
    You have in each of you the spirit of the... I crumpled it up, that wouldn't do.
    The God-Emperor watches over us all, but some of us He on Earth watches over more closely. 'Why?' You may ask. Because the Emperor is a judgemental god, a wrathful god. He does not tolerate dissention in mankind, and he does not tolerate those who lapse in their prayers. He has given you everything you have, all is due to his infinite beneficence...
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm too lazy to write out the whole sermon, but it's about not slipping in going to mass. Nothing like dropping hints. It takes him a good 15 minutes to write his speech, after that he's going to look around the ship make inquiry checks, talk to the men, etc. etc.
    And Serghar might have to shave before we land, as the sideburns and odd dreadlock does get people's attention.
    Last edited by Norpfang; 2010-11-15 at 12:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

"Alright then. I'll go check my quarters, get a rest and exercise a bit, since i hate all that travelling. Especially the space travelling puts me somewhat off. Don't know why, it just doesn't sit well with me most of the time.

After that i'll probably go to the mess hall to eat and then i'll come to the sermon Cortez. It's been quite some time till I managed to attend a proper mass.

After i get some sleep i'll also go check with the officer in charge of ship's security. It's great to see that i have such motivated individuals as comrades and potentials partners in the Inquisition. Forgive me for still trying to adjust in space travel conditions. I'm sure i'll be fine soon enough to assist properly in our preparation".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

'[COLOR="SeaGreen"

'I was thinking pretty much the same thing,' Gavid nodded. 'Did you just read my mind? How dare you!' He twisted his face into a scowl of mock-outrage. Then he grinned.
    'Nah, I'm just teasing,' he said, with a wry chuckle. 'I trust you better than that, I think. Anyway...'

'Well, I might as well get started,' he shrugged. 'Good luck everyone. I'll be seeing you.'

"Stay in touch Gavid"

unfortunate that reading minds is not something within my skill set just yet

For a mere Sanctionite Trenton had developed proficiency in a surprisingly broad array of powers but they almost all centered on the demands of combat divination, concealment or basic biomancy. The more cerebral art of telepathy continued to evade him. A fact that did not bother him to any great extent, given the effect he had seen such skill had on the sanity of its skilled practitioners.

I shall join you later in the mess hall. Oh, and before you go, does anybody have a micro-bead? It would be good to keep in touch.
    A micro bead?

Trenton was aware of such minature vox devices. Security details and naval armsmen made regular use of them. As a santionite however, he had never had reason to be issued one and the last time he'd used the technology was decades in the past. None the less they could be useful.

"Such things aren't standard fare amongst Sanctionites, but they could be most useful. If an opportunity to obtain any such devices surfaces i suggest we take it. I'll see what i can do when the captain assigns me a liasson officer. Both yourself and Cain are also most welcome to try and obtain a few along with any other useful supplies the crew may be willing to spare for our mission."

Leaning over Trenton caught a glimpse of the sermon the Cleric had begun to construct.

"Fine words that should put some fire into the hearts of men that have been lax in the observance of his benefience. I would be honoured to hear the finished verse"

Quote Originally Posted by Calimos View Post
    "Alright then. I'll go check my quarters, get a rest and exercise a bit, since i hate all that travelling. Especially the space travelling puts me somewhat off. Don't know why, it just doesn't sit well with me most of the time.

After that i'll probably go to the mess hall to eat and then i'll come to the sermon Cortez. It's been quite some time till I managed to attend a proper mass.

After i get some sleep i'll also go check with the officer in charge of ship's security. It's great to see that i have such motivated individuals as comrades and potentials partners in the Inquisition. Forgive me for still trying to adjust in space travel conditions. I'm sure i'll be fine soon enough to assist properly in our preparation".

"Back on Belias pilots got so sick of void virgins creating sanitary challenges in their shuttles that sedatives became standard issue to any kid that hadn't pulled at least 3 Zero-G flights."

More childhood memories came flooding back. During that last year, prior to the emergence of his talent, Trenton as with most fleet kids had been called out to witness parade of the graduating year. In a cruel streak of fate, at least one class had only just completed an acclimatisation dash to one of the orbital bastions (followed by immediate reentry) some 20 minutes before their presentation. Even those hardened 23 year olds, proud progeny of a generation of naval officers and veterans of countless flights had a few amongst them that looked decidedly ill. At least one had emptied his stomachs contents during the review. Amazingly enough he didn't even break stride.

"If the worst you have is the need to ease into it for an hour then you've got a constitution as sound as your plan. Hopefully you can get the head of security to attend the service, it is well that the man tasked with guarding the bodies of this vessels crew also be reminded of the need to protect their souls. Perhaps the Emperor's words, as conveyed by the cleric, will make him amenable to providing us with assistance over the coming days and weeks.

For my part, i will get cleaned up, eat and meditate in preparation for the translation. The Geller field going up is always a ..unique sensation for a psyker. Afterwards i'll await contact from whichever liason personell the Captain deems fit to assign and proceed with the data retrieval. I'm sure we'll be in regular contact, be it at the mess or elsewhere. But, should all else fail i shall see you all again at the good Cleric's service which i will bid all off duty officers to attend."

Sighting nodds of approval from the rest of the team, Trenton departed in search of the hygine complex. A shower followed by a meal would help prepare him for the meditation and prayer than must certainly preceed the translation. Geller field or not, he was a psyker and before he dove into the Immaterium, he would calm his mind and call upon the Emperor to fortify him against the darkness of the beyond.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

(Briefly interrupts sermon writing)
    Sanctionite Trenton, while you are talking with the Liason officer, would you ask him about supply requisiton, namely, if we can requisiton supplies?
    Last edited by Norpfang; 2010-11-16 at 02:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

(Briefly interrupts sermon writing)
    Sanctionite Trenton, while you are talking with the Liason officer, would you ask him about supply requisiton, namely, if we can requisiton supplies?
    Trenton nodded.

"I will do so. Hopefully through our combined efforts we'll manage to gather what we need before we're planetside again."
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Now, off to the showers and personal maintenance until the ship translates and i have something useful to do.
    Last edited by Teivel; 2010-11-17 at 07:30 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Each of you heads off to do your separate things, having made plans on what to do next.

Gavid
    Feeling hungry, Gavid leaves the quarters and tries immediately to find the mess room to get some food. Finding your way around the maze of corridors on the ship takes some doing, and you get turned around a fair bit, but eventually you find your way to a room which can only be the mess. About 10 minutes before you eventually find the mess you feel and here the ships engines kicking in and the ship starting to depart. On the way to the mess, the corridors seem surprisingly deserted. You see the occasional member of the crew hurrying past, but really not very many.

When you arrive at the mess you see a bunch of tables laid out with a handful of people sat around them in a few small groups. At one side of the room is a servitor that is supplying food to people as they approach.

Trenton
    Trenton heads off to find sanitation, and then from there attempts to head to the mess as well. You hear/feel the ship start to depart about halfway around the ship trying to find the mess, and about 20 minutes before you eventually reach the mess.

Cain
    Cain heads back to his bunk to get some exercise in and then some rest. You are awoken from your rest by the noise of the engines as the ship starts to depart, at which point you get yourself ready and head off to find the mess, eventually reaching it about 35 minutes later.

Cortez
    Cortez finishes his sermon off, and once happy with it also heads off to find the mess. Taking a more circuitous route it takes longer to get there but you get a slightly better feel for the layout of the ship than the others did. In your case it's about 40 minutes after the ship departs that you arrive at the mess.
    Characters

Games

11. - Top - End - #71

If there had been someone close enough to see Gavid enter the mess room they might have noticed a sudden change in his demeanour. He had been calm and quiet, slinking through the ship's corridors with a careful confidence that made it seem as if he was right at home. If not for his clothes and the unhealthy pallor of a born-and-bred hiver it might have been that he could have passed by the crew members unremarked.

But when he entered the mess he took on the guise of a complete innocent, looking around the spaceship, gawping as if astonished at the slightest little thing, reacting with surprise and delight to everything he saw, as if this was nothing like he'd experienced before. Gavid was pretending to be an eager new passenger, ignorant of the ways of shipboard folk, not knowing what to expect. He was working on a theory that some of the crew members would react to him with contempt and others with weary amusement. That was an angle he could work with.

'Can I have some food? Please?' He walked up to the servitor, craning his neck to look at what was on offer. 'What is there to eat?' he said, earnestly. 'What do you recommend?'

He turned to one of the crew members sitting at the table minding his own business. 'What are you having?' he said, inquisitively. 'Is it good?'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gavid is trying to (subtly) start up a conversation with some of the members of the crew. He's masquerading as an ingenuous newcomer because 1) the crew members are unlikely to think of him as much of a threat, 2) they might be amused by his foolish antics, 3) they might be sufficiently moved to try and explain a few things to him. It's leverage he can use.

Whatever happens, I'm hoping to start talking with some people. I guess I'm trying to both Charm and Deceive if you need me to roll dice. But I'm hoping you don't (because even with 47 Fellowship- i.e. 'very charming'- Gavid still has a less than 50% chance on an ordinary dice. That's Dark Heresy for you.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-17 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added speech colour
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Gavid

As Gavid enters the mess, a couple of heads turn to see who it is and then immediately turn back to their food or company. When he approaches the servitor and speaks, the servitor immediately turns around, collects a tray already filled with what you assume is food and hands it to you without saying a word.

Hearing you talk to the servitor, one of the men at the nearest table speaks up: You new to this ship then? 'Es a servy - they don't do anything except what they're coded to do, they don't. This'un gives you what passes for food around these parts. Get used to it, cause it's a choice 'tween that and hunger...
    Characters

Games

13. - Top - End - #73

When he approaches the servitor and speaks, the servitor immediately turns around, collects a tray already filled with what you assume is food and hands it to you without saying a word.
    Gavid didn't see any reason to complain. He'd eaten worse. Much, much worse. On a daily basis. It was amazing what a man could force himself to eat if the alternative was death.

He took the tray, sat down and began to tuck in, exhibiting every sign of enjoyment. It wasn't an act.

Hearing you talk to the servitor, one of the men at the nearest table speaks up: You new to this ship then? 'Es a servy - they don't do anything except what they're coded to do, they don't. This'un gives you what passes for food around these parts. Get used to it, cause it's a choice 'tween that and hunger...
    'Yeah, I'm new 'round here,' Gavid nodded. He wolfed down another mouthful of slop. 'I guess it's obvious, huh? I've never been on a starship before-' That was a lie, but it was such a little white lie that Gavid barely even realised that it wasn't the truth. '-this is my first time. I'm excited. Aren't you excited?'

He considered for a few seconds, scraping out the bottom of his bowl of gruel, not wanting to waste as much as a drop. 'Well, I suppose you're used to it, seeing as how you've been doing it for so long,' he said, quietly. 'But for someone like me- I've never been away from home- this is all wonderful and new- it's amazing! I'm going to start a new life!'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, Gavid is trying to portray himself as a likeable bumpkin who has never set foot off solid ground before. Hopefully the crew members will be amused/take pity on him.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Heh - give it time, you'll soon change your mind. Be it the food, or the beds, or.... Well, I wouldn't want to be frightening a newun like you now would I? So who are you? And what're you doing here? Cap'n didn't say nuffin about new crew being picked up...
    Characters

Games

15. - Top - End - #75

'Me. I'm Gavid,' he said. He had to think carefully about what he would say. He didn't dare tell these crew members the whole truth. But he wouldn't tell them too many lies either. Not until he had a chance to confer with his teammates and make sure their stories matched up. 'No, I'm not gonna be a member of the crew. It's a shame- it might have been interesting- but I think your captain will want to get rid of me soon as possible. For all our sakes.'

He sighed, disconsolately. 'You see, I made too many powerful enemies- or maybe they think they're acting in my best interests- it's hard to tell, really- and they all thought it would be a good idea for me to take a long trip through the void and start a new life on another planet somewhere, like- oh, I don't know- where are we going? Ornsworld, is it? That's the first stop, hey?' He laughed, bitterly. 'Yeah, they thought it was such a good idea that they didn't even let me stop to pack my things.' He cast a meaningful glance down at his poor and raggedy clothes. 'Just the shirt on my back.'

Into his story he poured his mixed feelings about working for the Inquisition. He still wasn't sure that this was what he wanted, but it was an awful lot better than being stuck down in the underhive, and anyway it wasn't as if he'd had any choice in the matter. He was telling a story that was supposed to be intriguing without giving too much away, hinting that his "trip through the void" was the result of a squabble between "powerful enemies", giving just enough tantalising hints that his story had a ring of truth to it. He let his audience work out the rest. Their imaginations would fill in the gaps in his story better than he ever could.

'It could have been a lot worse, I suppose,' he said, lifting his glass (OOC: I assume we get a drink with the meal). 'At least I've got my freedom. Things can only get better, right?' He drank, deeply.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-18 at 05:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Alexei was making his way towards the mess feeling well refreshed. His clothes had been rapidly sanitised while he subjected himself to a warm recyc water shower. He thanked that small mercy.

Along with the obvious grime the water had served to wash away a slew of the doubts that had been accumulating in his mind over the last few days. The solitude paired with the distinct sound of water jets relaxed the mind wonderfully and given him the catalyst he needed to re-center himself.

The Emperor wills us to undertake this mission, that is all i need know.

There was a dull rumble and Trenton's body shuddered for a split second against an invisible force. A smile crept across his face as he recognised the familiar sound of plasma drives lighting.

Soon enough he managed to locate the mess. It was a modest affair, standard pattern servitor and clusters of crewmen eating. It actually took him a moment to recognise Gavid amongst the throng, chatting with several crewmen. Unaware of just what Gavid was up to, Trenton opted to gather a basic serving from the Servitor and take a seat in a lightly occupied section within Gavid's sightline but several sables down. If the ladd wanted to wave him over that was an option. If he got into trouble Trenton would be close but if he was just being social, there was no need for a bulked out psyker to cramp his style.

Tucking into the basic fair, Trenton kept half an eye on his young teamate.

Heck, maybe Gavid could get the crew interested by explaining who the big mysterious guy in the corner is, or at least making something up.
    Last edited by Teivel; 2010-11-19 at 08:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Note
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cortez shaved with a throwing knife before he got here. You make do with what you have...
    BTW: He now looks a little less like a feral-worlder, and more like a conventional cleric.

The mess is smaller than I thought it was, but, then, I suppose there could always be more of them. Pity. I was hoping for a bigger audience.
    I climbed up on the nearest raised area, and begin to preach. It's been some time since I used the voice they taught us to use for preaching.
    The God-Emperor watches over us all, but some of us He on Earth watches over more closely. 'Why?' You may ask. Because the Emperor is a judgemental god, a wrathful god. He does not tolerate dissention in mankind, and he does not tolerate those who lapse in their prayers. He has given you everything you have, all is due to his infinite beneficence. You must never let go of that, and if you never let go of it the Emperor will never let any evil come to you. It is for this that you must never lapse in your worship, lest He on earth take issue with you and allow this ship to be swallowed up by the warp. For the safety of your own souls, men, bow down to Him on earth! Let us pray.
    Let's go with the 40th verse of the prayer for protection.
    Oh, Emperor, whom we owe so much
    take pity on our souls, and
    protect us from the darkness outside your light
    We come before you humbly,
    and ask you to help us spread your light.

OOC: Serghar is in full preaching mode here, roaring about the Emperor on a metaphorical soapbox

18. - Top - End - #78

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Immediately after my last post...

Gavid was surprised and gratified to have such an attentive audience. They listened and they didn't try to interrupt. He wasn't sure that the crew members believed everything he told them, but that anyway wasn't necessary.

With the exception of the captain, nobody on this ship was meant to know that the four they had taken aboard were (sort of) acolytes of the Inquisition. None of the crew members should guess at the real reason why they were being diverted to Ornsworld. It was a secret that Gavid would do his best to keep safe by shrouding it in a confusing veil of lies, rumors and half-truths. He'd keep them guessing.

'Anyway, that's enough about me,' he said, putting down his drink. 'Tell me... what's it like to live on this ship?'

He listened carefully to what they had to say. It might be useful. There was always more to be learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Teivel View Post
    Trenton opted to gather a basic serving from the Servitor and take a seat in a lightly occupied section within Gavid's sightline but several sables down. If the ladd wanted to wave him over that was an option. If he got into trouble Trenton would be close but if he was just being social, there was no need for a bulked out psyker to cramp his style.

Tucking into the basic fair, Trenton kept half an eye on his young teamate.

Heck, maybe Gavid could get the crew interested by explaining who the big mysterious guy in the corner is, or at least making something up.
    Trenton attracted a fair amount of attention from the crew, as well he might. Even when his sanctioning brand was not on full display he was nevertheless a heroic figure of a man.

Although Gavid had seen him almost as soon as he entered the room he did not betray any signs of recognition at first. Some of the crew members started whispering and speculating amongst themselves. He turned to look as if he had only just noticed.

'Oh yeah,' he said, smiling slightly. 'He was on the same shuttle as I was. He's alright. I like him.'

He made sure to emphasize the fact that he'd met Trenton only a few hours before. He hoped that the crew members wouldn't realize that they were now part of a team. If he made it seem like they were nothing more than casual acquaintances and they hardly knew each other (it was true, after all) then there was little reason to suspect anything more.

'Yeah, it's true,' Gavid said, sheepishly. There was no denying it. He looked like exactly what he was: a ragamuffin lowlife from the sumps. Not exactly an appropriate costume if he was to try and blend in with the local population on Ornsworld. 'I'll see what I can find.'
    It was at about this time that Gavid remembered one of the real reasons why he was trying to ingratiate himself with the crew members. He needed some new clothes. Perhaps they could help him. That was a question he needed to ask.

'Hey,' he said, scratching his chin. 'I've been thinking... I can't start my new life dressed in rags like this. I need to smarten up a bit. Can help me any?'

He gestured helplessly. 'I'm willing to trade. I don't have much money but I'm not looking for anything fancy. Might one of you have some spare overalls- something like that- you'd be willing to sell to a poor boy down on his luck?'

There were a few coins secreted in one of his pocket. He rattled them together to make a pleasant jingling noise. That was money talking. It was tempting...

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't think of much else to write unless I get some reactions to what I've already written. I'll skip ahead to when Cortez enters the room.

Let's go with the 40th verse of the prayer for protection.
    When he was finished, Gavid was one of the first to join in with a round of applause. He had prayed as enthusiastically and devoutly as any of them. It wasn't an act.

There was a heavy burden of guilt weighing down on his soul. Years ago... but still he had to atone for what he'd done.

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again I'm throwing out vague hints as to why Gavid has 3 Corruption Points.

'And he's another one was on the same shuttle as me,' he confided to the crew member closest to him. 'They were an interesting bunch, I'll say.'
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

After finishing the sermon, I found a vacant, shady corner from which to watch the crew. It never hurts to look for heresy where it can't see you.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone waves Cortez over, he will join them.

20. - Top - End - #80

'Anyway, that's enough about me,' he said, putting down his drink. 'Tell me... what's it like to live on this ship?'
    The man grunts, and replies with Could be worse I guess. Least up here you don't often get people trying to kill you just cause they're bored...

'Hey,' he said, scratching his chin. 'I've been thinking... I can't start my new life dressed in rags like this. I need to smarten up a bit. Can help me any?'

He gestured helplessly. 'I'm willing to trade. I don't have much money but I'm not looking for anything fancy. Might one of you have some spare overalls- something like that- you'd be willing to sell to a poor boy down on his luck?'

There were a few coins secreted in one of his pocket. He rattled them together to make a pleasant jingling noise. That was money talking. It was tempting...
    On hearing that, the man actually smiles at you - proving that his face actually was capable of such an expression.Well now, I just might be able to do something for you there. Cap'n's a bit tight on such things, but ol' jakey owes me a favour or three so I might be able to swing something for you. Can't promise it'll be cheap though...

When the cleric comes in and starts preaching, all the men bow their heads in reverence. There wasn't much applause from the men sat around, apart from Gavid, but there was certainly a look of appreciation to have the cleric on board now.

'And he's another one was on the same shuttle as me,' he confided to the crew member closest to him. 'They were an interesting bunch, I'll say.'
    Interesting bunch? That'll be an understatement from the looks of it. What're you all doing up here again?
    Characters

Games

21. - Top - End - #81

The man grunts, and replies with Could be worse I guess. Least up here you don't often get people trying to kill you just cause they're bored...
    'Don't I know it,' Gavid said, ruefully. 'What a wonderful galaxy we live in, huh?'

On hearing that, the man actually smiles at you - proving that his face actually was capable of such an expression.Well now, I just might be able to do something for you there. Cap'n's a bit tight on such things, but ol' jakey owes me a favour or three so I might be able to swing something for you. Can't promise it'll be cheap though...
    'Well, I have a little money,' Gavid said, warily.

Interesting bunch? That'll be an understatement from the looks of it. What're you all doing up here again?
    'I'm heading to Ornsworld to start a new life there.' Gavid scratched his chin, thoughfully. 'I don't have any other choice.'

He turned to look at Cortez again. 'You see all those scars and tattoos he has? Where do you think he got them?' He waited for the crew members to consider for a moment before he told them the answer: 'He's a missionary, spreading news of the Emperor's divine light to primitives and savages living on feral worlds. And he's good at what he does.'

For a moment he wondered if he should tell them the story about Cortez defeating the Daemonhost. It was probably best that he did not. It would just lead to too many questions. But he had to give some explanation. And so he said: 'He's survived this long. There are scars all over him, but he's still standing, still preaching the faith. What does that tell you? He chuckled. Then he shook his head in wonderment.

'I'd guess that he's travelling to Ornsworld to make sure that they're keeping the faith as well they should,' he said, after a short pause. 'I don't know. There are always rumours of heresy.'

Satisfied that he'd explained Cortez's presence as well as anyone could, Gavid turned his attention to Trenton. He was quite sure that his teammate didn't want most of the crew members to know that he was a sanctioned psyker. Nevertheless, Gavid didn't want to tell a lie that could be easily proved wrong; he especially had no desire to make up stories about Trenton without seeking his permission first.

He took refuge in the fact that he'd only met Trenton a few hours before; really he knew little about him.

'I don't really know who he is or what he's doing here,' he said, speaking slowly, as if this was a grudging admission. 'He said he was born on Belias IV. It's supposed to be like... heaven for living people. Can you imagine that? Why did he leave- I don't know- what kind of fool would choose to give it up?'

Again he shook his head, looking bewildered. 'I think he said something about how he was raised by the Schollam. He's a mysterious, dark, handsome stranger. Other than that... I just don't know.'

Then a thought occurred to him: 'Why don't you ask him? Trenton! Hey, come over here, won't you?'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's your cue, Teivel. (For when you get back, at least.)
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-24 at 12:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

'Don't I know it,' Gavid said, ruefully. 'What a wonderful galaxy we live in, huh?'

'Well, I have a little money,' Gavid said, warily.
    Go find Jakey down in Requisitions later on, and tell 'im that Lucas sent you and he'll sort you out

'I'm heading to Ornsworld to start a new life there.' Gavid scratched his chin, thoughfully. 'I don't have any other choice.'
    New life on Orns World? You're old one must have been pretty darned awful for that to be an improvement... I hope you know what you're in for there...

'I'd guess that he's travelling to Ornsworld to make sure that they're keeping the faith as well they should,' he said, after a short pause. 'I don't know. There are always rumours of heresy.'
    Heresy? With that, the man looks shocked at the thought As long as e's not one of them darned Inquisition lot... and then in a whisper to you Not that I ever said that, o'course

'I don't really know who he is or what he's doing here,' he said, speaking slowly, as if this was a grudging admission. 'He said he was born on Belias IV. It's supposed to be like... heaven for living people. Can you imagine that? Why did he leave- I don't know- what kind of fool would choose to give it up?'

Again he shook his head, looking bewildered. 'I think he said something about how he was raised by the Schollam. He's a mysterious, dark, handsome stranger. Other than that... I just don't know.'
    With a laugh, the man responds with You really have had a bad life, ain't you? There's loadsa reasons you'd leave somewhere like that for, though not many of them all that good I guess...
    Characters

Games

23. - Top - End - #83

Go find Jakey down in Requisitions later on, and tell 'im that Lucas sent you and he'll sort you out
    'Right. Thank you,' Gavid said, with genuine gratitude.

New life on Orns World? You're old one must have been pretty darned awful for that to be an improvement... I hope you know what you're in for there...
    'Oh, it can't be that bad, can it?' Gavid said, anxiously. 'I'll admit... there's a great many things I don't know.' He sighed. 'Go on then. Tell me about Ornsworld.'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (I hope) this is a good opportunity for me to find out more about our destination!

Heresy? With that, the man looks shocked at the thought As long as e's not one of them darned Inquisition lot... and then in a whisper to you Not that I ever said that, o'course
    'Hmm... maybe?' Gavid said, pretending to think about the possibility for a moment. 'Nah. I kinda doubt it. The Inquisition is not the only organization that's involved with stamping out heresy. Keep in mind: the leaders of the Ecclesiarchy want to keep their own house in order. And the Adeptus Arbites-'

He was reminded of Cain. The other member of the team might show up at any moment and it would be wise to have an explanation in place ready for when he arrived. '-they're keen to quash insurrection before it can really cause too many problems.

'Actually,' he said, as if this had only just occurred to him. 'There was a member of the Arbites on my shuttle as well. D'you think he was on that same assignment?'

Gavid's voice had taken a breathless conspiratorial tone, as though he were merely speculating about what was going on, sharing in the gossip. He knew that it was risky to conceal so many elements of the truth in amongst the lies, but it was a calculated gamble.

If he was to shield his teammates' true identities from rumour and conjecture, he first needed to find out what the rumours were. And he'd confuse the gossips as much he could, spreading falsehoods and half-truths.

With a laugh, the man responds with You really have had a bad life, ain't you? There's loadsa reasons you'd leave somewhere like that for, though not many of them all that good I guess...
    'Life hasn't always been fair to me,' Gavid confessed. 'But there's not much I can do about that now, right?'
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

'Go on then. Tell me about Ornsworld.'
    Rumour has it that Abaddon himself invaded the place, seeking some unholy artifact that he planned to use to bring down the galaxy into flames. It used to be a ratling homeworld before it was devestated. From what I hear it's more of a hellhole now than anything... I've never been there myself of course, not to the surface anyhow.

'Actually,' he said, as if this had only just occurred to him. 'There was a member of the Arbites on my shuttle as well. D'you think he was on that same assignment?'
    An arbite? Just the one? Don't see that often... Wonder what's going on there...
    Characters

Games

25. - Top - End - #85

Rumour has it that Abaddon himself invaded the place, seeking some unholy artifact that he planned to use to bring down the galaxy into flames. It used to be a ratling homeworld before it was devestated. From what I hear it's more of a hellhole now than anything... I've never been there myself of course, not to the surface anyhow.
    At first, Gavid absorbed this information without comment, staring away into the distance. He was thinking deeply, considering the problem from every angle.

'That's another fine mess I've got myself into,' he snorted disgustedly, taking another sip of his drink. 'I'm sure there's someone finds this very amusing. I wish it was me.'

An arbite? Just the one? Don't see that often... Wonder what's going on there...
    'He said he was curious to find out about the techniques used by the Arbites on board starships,' Gavid said, helpfully. 'But... surely he didn't need to come along on the entire voyage just for that?'

Again he stopped to think about what he was saying. 'Maybe he's working with the cleric?' he suggested. 'Could be a joint operation, know what I'm saying?'

Out Of Character:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gavid knows that the crew members have their suspicions about his team. He's not trying to quell the rumours (outright denial would probably make things worse). Instead he's attempting to:
    1) Convince the crew members that whatever is going on, Gavid is not a part of it.
    2) Downplay the rumours.
    3) Suggest that the Inquisition has nothing to do with anything that is going on by hinting at other more likely suspects.
    4) Imply that whatever is going on is nothing to worry about (even if it's nice to gossip).

So yeah.
    Last edited by Manticorkscrew; 2010-11-24 at 07:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

'He said he was curious to find out about the techniques used by the Arbites on board starships,' Gavid said, helpfully. 'But... surely he didn't need to come along on the entire voyage just for that?'

Again he stopped to think about what he was saying. 'Maybe he's working with the cleric?' he suggested. 'Could be a joint operation, know what I'm saying?'
    Hmm - seems strange, but who knows. Not my business, and I'm not daft enough to stick my nose in somewhere like that, you know what I'm saying?
    Characters

Games

27. - Top - End - #87

Hmm - seems strange, but who knows. Not my business, and I'm not daft enough to stick my nose in somewhere like that, you know what I'm saying?
    'Uh. Yeah, sure,' Gavid said, guiltily. 'Some things I'd be better off not knowing, huh?'
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

After settling to his assigned quarters, Cain exercises a bit, then has a much needed shower, dons a clean uniform and heads to the mess. As he walks the narrow ship corridors, his mind goes back to the last days and what transpired during them...things are strange as of lately and they've only become worse. But what matters is our own contribution in these times of need for the Imperium, for if we don't stand vigilant and eager to defend His domain then we have no right to talk, no right to exist and burden humanity with our parasitic presence.

All in all, he was kind of asking for it. Always eager to volunteer for the worst assignments back there in the precinct, always the first to participate in one of his old mentor's crazy black ops, always first to charge head on in the rioting masses, in order to ensure safe passage for those in high offices. But then again he wouldn't have it otherwise. Not even when his line of work turned more to investigations and clandestine operations. He found a grim self completion in those as well and he felt strangely as a lighthouse in the darkness of his city, as one of its vigilant sentinels, and this granted him a measure of accomplishment and content.

Now, as fate and Emperor would have it, he was on the way to prove himself capable for greater - although mostly thankless things, at least according to his mentor's words "Recognition aint why you get in there son, you just know what needs to be done and you do it. No medals, no meritorious services, no promotions, but just the grim truth that your actions may buy humanity one more day of survival".

The sound of the ship's engines woke him from his thoughts and he moved on to the mess hall. He entered, tall and imposing as a figure, his lean muscular frame hardly concealed by his close-fitted uniform, and looking inquisitively and sharply around him, he picked his rationed food from the servitor and then headed to the table were Gavid was seating to join him and the others.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The God-Emperor watches over us all, but some of us He on Earth watches over more closely. 'Why?' You may ask. Because the Emperor is a judgemental god, a wrathful god. He does not tolerate dissention in mankind, and he does not tolerate those who lapse in their prayers. He has given you everything you have, all is due to his infinite beneficence. You must never let go of that, and if you never let go of it the Emperor will never let any evil come to you. It is for this that you must never lapse in your worship, lest He on earth take issue with you and allow this ship to be swallowed up by the warp. For the safety of your own souls, men, bow down to Him on earth! Let us pray.
    "In Nomine Imperator"

Trenton made the sign of the aquila as his mind and body rose to a fever pitch in response to the cleric's words. The truth of his affirmations triggered a flow of adrenalin and emotions that brought a momentary clarity to his mental abilities centered on the familiar presence of his chatellium ring which glowed ever so subtly against the subtle caress of power.

On a purely intelectual level he recognised that such an emotional response was not normal. For most, he realised such excitement and clarity was evasive tied up in the presence of scantily clad examples of the opposite sex or the like. His heart felt sorrow went out to them. The sanctioning had joined him to the rapture of the Throne itself, he pitied those who found their center in more mundane pursuits than holy duty.

Approaching Cortez as he finished Trenton gave a short nod of his head in respect. " Brilliant friend, such fire would not be out of place in the hallowed halls of Terra itself. I hope your words will find root in the souls of those present."

'Why don't you ask him? Trenton! Hey, come over here, won't you?'
    Gavid's voice cut across the room. Trenton turned to note that the young man was engaged in convesation with a cluster of ratings.

Better check if he needs back up

"Excuse me cleric"
    he said as he gestured towards the calling Gavid attempting to explain his quick end to the conversation without expressing any verbal familiarity with Gavid that may be overheard.

Trenton kept a straight back as he approached Gavid. His posture was meticulous and his frame encased in the flack coat that he kept tightly buttoned so as to conceal the less than stellar garments beneath. Visible to all however was the longsword, held in standard pattern naval scabbard by his side. It was, apparently the same blade his mother had been issued as a cadet and one of his few remaining ties to his old life.

Reaching Gavid, Trenton visibly surveyed the surrounding crewmen and then locked eyes with Gavid, dipping his eyes rather than his head in order to maintain an apparent distance and lack of familiarity. When he spoke it was with no attempt to conceal his tight Belisian diction and accent.

"Mr... Gavid wasn't it? i do hope you and your friends appreciated the words of the cleric, if only all souls burned with such fire. It is my understanding he may conduct a formal prayer service during this or a coming nightcycle, i would urge all of you not on duty to attend, and to advise your comrades of the chance to do the same."

He had considered for a moment concealing his accent or attempting to undertake some kind of ruse but had decided against it. The blade hanging by his side, his clear and apparent accent and the fact he would later likely be seen being assisted by ships officers were simply too many clues to the contrary. Gavid could blend in with ratings, the son of an officer and sanctioned psyker in the service of the holy ordos..not so much.

"In any case, what can i do for you..gentlemen?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Serghar Cortez
    Tired, and almost certainly not to be of any help to Gavid, I finished my meal quickly and left the room, eventually intending to get back to my quarters. It would probably be good to familiarize myself with the layout of the ship. On the pilgrim ship, there had been a thriving market in the holds. Maybe there I could pick up some of the items that we're going to need. Besides, in could help to get a feel for the layout of the ship.