New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 5: To Comic 100...And Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    so this is it, me vs. evryone else.
    That tends to happen, when you're wrong...

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anterean View Post
    but only because in this world "Detect Evil" is really "Detect who your deity as a grudge on"
    In this setting, Detect X is skewed to pre-existing prejudices, both personal and, say, divine. Generally not enough for a massive alignment shift, but sometimes...

Also, notice that we don't have the whole story.

Also also, the Kagoans kinda went crazy here.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-11-21 at 03:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    but only because in this world "Detect Evil" is really "Detect who your deity as a grudge against"
    In this setting, Detect X is skewed to pre-existing prejudices, both personal and, say, divine. Generally not enough for a massive alignment shift, but sometimes...

Also, notice that we don't have the whole story.
    I am not saying there is anything wrong with the above. Though, in my opinion, it would be more appropriate to call it detect enemies.
    It seems, to me at least, that paladins in this setting are more akin to the 4e paladins, warriors of a deity rather than warriors of good. And there is nothing wrong with that. As long as I am clear on the ground rules.

And you keep saying "We don´t have the whole story", so are we the only remark "ooh can´t wait to see what happens next"
    Member of the paladin fan club

4. - Top - End - #364

Paladins are supposed to be warriors for good and justice and all that.

But...Well...Not to get into real-world politics (Then again, this is 200-year old history, so...), but did you know that Robespierre used to called The Incorruptible before the Reign of Terror?

It's the same deal with the paladins of Kago.

Also: Paladins of Kago. Not Paladins of Astrid.

Also also: This inherent bias in Detect X can be overcome if one has the knowledge and willpower.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2010-11-21 at 03:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I still have no idea what you're saying. The drow aren't evil, and Lloyd never scanned them with his detect evil.
    We don't know whether the drow are evil. Does it matter? Is it OK to commit genocide against evil people? Is genocide only wrong when the good guys suffer from it?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Murphy's Law 5: To Comic 100...And Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    so this is it, me vs. evryone else.

Lloyd did what he feels right, not good. the drow are evil, for kagogian detect evil spells.
    That is a fallacy, I'm afraid. Few of us were included in this discussion and even fewer (I believe none of us did) showed any opposition to you we merely disagreed and attempted to argue our points

Earlier you said that he was doing good and not right, now you say the opposite. Me confused @_@

And up until Coffee posting about it (After the quoted post) there was no evidence for that, if I recall correctly. But while you are right that the Kagoan users of the spell might see the Plavaan as evil, that still does not make them evil.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Paladins are supposed to be warriors for good and justice and all that.

But...Well...Not to get into real-world politics (Then again, this is 200-year old history, so...), but did you know that Robespierre used to called The Incorruptible before the Reign of Terror?

It's the same deal with the paladins of Kago.

Also: Paladins of Kago. Not Paladins of Astrid.
    Admittedly I did not, I'm fairly certain though that if he had been a (traditional) paladin he would have fallen for that stunt.
    It is a little hard to say for sure of course.

Also : Paladin of Kago are paladins of Astrid, their power source are the same deity (as far as we know.. but we don´t have full story yet... hey perhaps it's like Mephistopheles and Lady Aribeth in never winter nights).

No I get your point, we shouldn´t judge all paladins of Astrid by this extreme sub group.

And the Paladins of Kago started out as good guys, stalwart defenders of their people in a harsh and unforgiving land, and now that they have reached their goal making a secure nation for the people of Kago, they have moved on to persecute and murder civilian Plavaan to make sure the country remains safe.

I'm just not agreeing that they remain good guys, but hey I don´t know the whole story yet

Also also: This inherent bias in Detect X can be overcome if one has the knowledge and willpower.
    Here :
    BINGO!

And they didn't even bother to "scan" them. Hell, Astrid would have probably lied about the results anyway.
    You heavily imply that detect evil is really just "What does my deity think of these blokes" which sorta of conflict with the above.
    Last edited by Anterean; 2010-11-21 at 04:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368

No I get your point, we shouldn´t judge all paladins of Astrid by this extreme sub group.

And the Paladins of Kago started out as good guys, stalwart defenders of their people in a harsh and unforgiving land, and now that they have reached their goal making a secure nation for the people of Kago, they have moved on to persecute and murder civilian Plavaan to make sure the country remains safe.
    Yes.

You heavily imply that detect evil is really just "What does my deity think of these blokes" which sorta of conflict with the above.
    It was originally an indicator of the target's alignment and intentions, but over time got perverted into a combination of its original use, personal prejudices, and the prejudices of the deity that the caster worships, if the spell is cast as a divine spell.

But the original purpose is still there, deep down...

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    We don't know whether the drow are evil. Does it matter? Is it OK to commit genocide against evil people? Is genocide only wrong when the good guys suffer from it?
    No on all three counts. But that's not what my point was, I'm just trying to decipher his comments, because honestly the grammar is a bit too poor for me to quite understand.

And I think that they probably aren't evil, anyways. They look like peaceful farmers to me.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Coffee, do you have the thanksgiving week off from school like I do? If so, then that means more comics. (Although, this means I have no excuse to not come out with any Idiosyncrasy comics.)
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey Coffee, do you have the thanksgiving week off from school like I do? If so, then that means more comics. (Although, this means I have no excuse to not come out with any Idiosyncrasy comics.)
    Probably.

And since I've got Phantom of The Opera stuck in my head, I've just got a visual of Serrin wearing a black cape and a half-mask and playing the Phantom for kicks.

I mean, she's a soprano and a girl, but she'd have so much fun doing it.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Probably.

And since I've got Phantom of The Opera stuck in my head, I've just got a visual of Serrin wearing a black cape and a half-mask and playing the Phantom for kicks.

Hehe.
    Serrin seems like she's the kind of girl that has fun pretty much no matter what she's doing. She's the eternal optimist/free spirit. I knew a girl like that in school. Everything is awesome!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Let a baritone play Christine, then, and stand back and watch the fun.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I'm back!

It was originally an indicator of the target's alignment and intentions, but over time got perverted into a combination of its original use, personal prejudices, and the prejudices of the deity that the caster worships, if the spell is cast as a divine spell.

But the original purpose is still there, deep down...
    I actually like this version of the spells, it sorta makes sense, considering that the power of the spell comes from a divine source... And I can believe that the original purpose was honest, but then one god though "Wellll, I'll just tweak the result a little bit, for this one time only, really, what harm can it do?" And then it went overboard...

Hmm...I wonder how long Lloyd stayed in the Kago army... comic 7# stated that he has seen several battles...
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Serrin is Kaylee. No wonder I love her so much. <3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

And I think that they probably aren't evil, anyways. They look like peaceful farmers to me.
    Perhaps they are evil farmers. Sacrificing people to the grain god has old, old roots.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Grain for the grain god, bread for the bread throne? xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Serrin is Kaylee. No wonder I love her so much. <3
    She's who now?

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Character from Firefly, by Joss Whedon. Cheerful and optimistic and far less innocent than she seems. XD

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    Ah, she thinks that the Plaavan gods have killed Salblaze in cold blood. Those gods weren't there at the start of time - they were raised up by the Plaavans worshipping them. Therefore, she thinks that the Plaavan's goals coincide with their god's.
    Which isn't all that unreasonable. Should she just forget about Salblaze? Should her first reaction to seeing a gang of murderers killing her friend and ally for amusement be "Gee, this MUST be a misunderstanding. I'm sure Salblaze did something to them to deserve it."?

It seems perfectly reasonable to react by wanting to impale the orc god on a post one Saturday evening.

Speaking of which, what do the scriptures of the Plavaan gods say? Was it "Our gods totally killed that weak-willed bitch's sissy pet and they could do it again because WE KICK ASS!!!" or something to that effect, then I don't see why Lloyd still sympathizes with them.

If it instead says something that reveals that Plavaans consider many of the same things good and evil that humanoids do, then why didn't he mention some of these to counter Janine's rant? Will we eventually get details on the scriptures of Astrid and the others.

What I'm trying to say is that everyone, even Astrid, can be influenced by their emotions.
    I haven't written a single paragraph so far without the counter-argument jingling in countermeasure to it, but there's not enough information available to turn an infinite series of hunches and suspicions into a representation of objective truth. So, to actually come up with an idea and take a side (or action), some sort of explosive (sometimes forced) emotion is needed to catalyze a passionate end to analysis and make a decision.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Character from Firefly, by Joss Whedon. Cheerful and optimistic and far less innocent than she seems. XD
    Cheerful: check.

Optmistic: relentlessly.

Brilliant: undeniably.

But when was Kaylee ever less innocent than she seemed? Book, yeah. Maybe Wash and Inara. But unless I missed something...if you look past Kaylee's cheerful, bubbly innocence, you find more cheerful, bubbly innocence. If Kaylee had dark buried secrets, I totally missed the hints...

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh, so I guess I'm the only thinking everyone's being altogether too goody-goody in this comic. :P

Anyway, just dropping in to compliment the creator. There can never be too much of anything that resembles OotS.

Here's hoping for some acid breath action from the dragon at some point in the near future. ;)
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M@XWeru View Post
    Here's hoping for some acid breath action from the dragon at some point in the near future. ;)
    I agree with this, you sir have good taste.
    Hopefully we get to see him in action again sometime, although I'd settle for him getting a little more screen time.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Cheerful: check.

Optmistic: relentlessly.

Brilliant: undeniably.

But when was Kaylee ever less innocent than she seemed? Book, yeah. Maybe Wash and Inara. But unless I missed something...if you look past Kaylee's cheerful, bubbly innocence, you find more cheerful, bubbly innocence. If Kaylee had dark buried secrets, I totally missed the hints...
    First time Mal meets her, she is... erh... copulating with the ships previous mechanic, I know it's hardly a dark secret but it does diminish (some interpretations) of innocence
    Last edited by Anterean; 2010-11-21 at 08:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

First time Mal meets her, she is... erh... copulating with the ships previous mechanic, I know it's hardly a dark secret but it does diminish (some interpretations) of innocence
    Just different definitions of the word, then. I always thought Kaylee's completely unembarrassed attitude toward sex was yet another demonstration of her fundamental innocence, rather than a counterexample...

Which, to stay on-topic, probably gives her yet another parallel to Serrin.

26. - Top - End - #386

Hehe.
    Serrin seems like she's the kind of girl that has fun pretty much no matter what she's doing. She's the eternal optimist/free spirit. I knew a girl like that in school. Everything is awesome!
    Yeah, pretty much. Hell, even if her face were horribly disfigured or something I'll bet it wouldn't get her down for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    I actually like this version of the spells, it sorta makes sense, considering that the power of the spell comes from a divine source... And I can believe that the original purpose was honest, but then one god though "Wellll, I'll just tweak the result a little bit, for this one time only, really, what harm can it do?" And then it went overboard...

Hmm...I wonder how long Lloyd stayed in the Kago army... comic 7# stated that he has seen several battles...
    Thanks. And yeah, that's probably what happened...

And Lloyd has seem battles and training and actually a lot of battles in the simulations with Lexington, Miles, and Alexis, but this is the first thing he's seen with the Plavaan that went so badly...

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    Speaking of which, what do the scriptures of the Plavaan gods say? Was it "Our gods totally killed that weak-willed bitch's sissy pet and they could do it again because WE KICK ASS!!!" or something to that effect, then I don't see why Lloyd still sympathizes with them.
    Lloyd can't read Goblin, Orc, or Drow, so he's been collecting piecemeal translations and doing the rest himself. Therefore he hasn't actually read that much.

Quote Originally Posted by M@XWeru View Post
    Heh, so I guess I'm the only thinking everyone's being altogether too goody-goody in this comic. :P

Anyway, just dropping in to compliment the creator. There can never be too much of anything that resembles OotS.

Thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy! And don't worry about that.

Just different definitions of the word, then. I always thought Kaylee's completely unembarrassed attitude toward sex was yet another demonstration of her fundamental innocence, rather than a counterexample...

Which, to stay on-topic, probably gives her yet another parallel to Serrin.
    (Let's just say that when she and Rolf separated, Rolf's friends were like, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!")

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING?!" in the "You're an idiot for breaking up" sort of way, or the "you're an idiot for being with her in the first place" sort of way. Because I've had the latter reaction to my friends' breakups a few times. XD

I'm pretty sure its the former meaning. Though, you did mention her being too energetic for him sometimes.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    "WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING?!" in the "You're an idiot for breaking up" sort of way, or the "you're an idiot for being with her in the first place" sort of way. Because I've had the latter reaction to my friends' breakups a few times. XD

I'm pretty sure its the former meaning. Though, you did mention her being too energetic for him sometimes.
    I'm guessing the former.
    The "overly energetic" is probably why.
    Last edited by Marnath; 2010-11-21 at 10:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I go a bit beyond that: Justice should be about preventing harm and about creating good.

Which essentially means that if you kill him he can't be redeemed and used to make the world a better place.

But that's subjective.
    I also believe 'justice' and 'good' are closely related but still different things
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #390
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interesting, never thought of it that way.

It is also entirely possible that was Lix Lorn meant with "less innocent than she seems" wrong, it was just all that sprang to mind