New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Well... I won't be able to make six, but at least just one here. I'll start next week.

It's BACK!

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Some nighttime photos taken at my campus. Bonus points for anyone who can identify what school it is.

Spoiler
    Show

I have to say, the last one is my favorite.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with a four-panel comic and 1,001 words of assorted writings.

Lycunadari passes with a photo, two paintings and a three-page birthday comic.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 1,323 words of setting notes from a secret-based story, and one OoTS parody song.

MeanMrsMustard passes with 4,300 words of story writings.

D.KnightSpider passes with seven OoTS style drawings, partly including secrets.

redfeatherraven passes with 1,970 words of character background.

rs2excelsior passes with six late-night photos of his school.

Thus, MeanMrsMustard and redfeatherraven FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatofDoom, MeanMrsMustard, D.KnightSpider, and rs2excelsior PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 152 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: 38 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 7 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 23 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 17 weeks
    Themes: 5 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 4 weeks

rs2excelsior
    Current run: 5 weeks

This week's theme hasn't been chosen yet, so anyone is free to suggest one.

Next week's theme is chosen by TheWombatOfDoom - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

@MethosH: Welcome to the Challenge! You're going on the list when you pass your first week

@Neorice: Yep, as usual. Nothing has really changed except for the time of the Status post - still gotta get everything up before Sunday has run its course!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-09-30 at 01:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Barbarian in the Playground

ahaha guess who stayed up all night in a chat
    and didn't put in her writing for this week
    it's like 4300 words but I can't remember the exact number
    Spoiler
    Show
    The best way to conceal his affections, he reasoned, was to never stop flirting with anyone else. Friends, strangers, teachers, it didn’t matter. The only person who wasn’t a target of his constant, omnidirectional romantic solicitations was one poofy-haired, long-winded Kankri Vantas. Heck, he hit on his little brother more than he did on Kankri.
    Cronus Ampora was, as he, his brother, and most of his friends were quick to say, one messed-up dude. He wore leather jackets and slicked-back hairstyles straight out of West Side Story. He used a fake ID to buy cigarettes he never smoked. Every weekend, he went to the public pool with a snorkel and sat on the steps, completely submerged with only the tip of the snorkel showing above water, for hours on end. He had the entire Harry Potter series nearly completely memorized.
    But he was perhaps most famous (well, infamous) in his school as “Come-on Cronus.” By the time he had finished his sophomore year, every student, teacher, custodian, and even a few parents who came to volunteer could remember at least one instance of Cronus Ampora attempting to make a move on them. The pattern continued until the middle of his senior year, where he was right now. Everyone he ever came into contact with had been at the receiving end of one of his passes.
    Everyone, that is, except for a certain short, fluffy-haired boy who had been best friends with him since elementary school. Around him, Cronus never breathed a suggestive word, never made any innuendos.
    It was enough to make anyone suspicious. Except probably the boy in question. Kankri Vantas was well-known among the people who actually knew his name for being romantically oblivious. He’d never had a girlfriend, boyfriend, or romantic partner who identified outside the gender binary. He wasn’t the type to crack dirty jokes. Even when he had a fairly obvious crush on Latula Pyrope throughout junior high, it seemed to vanish when she hooked up with Mituna Captor.
    Besides, Kankri liked to keep to himself. He always had. People remembered how he acted back in elementary school. During assemblies, he always managed to find his way to the end of the row, nearly a foot away from his nearest neighbor. When the Madrigal choir from the local high school came to sing, they’d often give high-fives to the lines of kids as they filed out the door to their next classes. Except Kankri. He’d wave instead. With the exception of a few pushy individuals, everyone just accepted that this was Kankri’s personality, and there was no point in trying to change that.
    Of course there were jokes about how the guy who hit on everyone was best friends with the guy who seemed to not realize romance and sex were things that actually happened. But neither of them seemed to care about those jokes. They were too busy being friends.
    One day, as Cronus stared at the book he was supposed to be reading for homework, his phone buzzed. Kankri Alert.
    Cronus, I’m getting my molars out next Thursday. Karkat will be at play rehearsal, and my dad probably won’t be in a condition to drive yet. Could you maybe pick me up at 4:30 from the clinic?
    Cronus stared at his phone. The text was so Kankri it almost hurt. Using “molars” instead of the more common “wisdom teeth,” the English-paper grammar, the way he asked as though it wasn’t already 150% certain Cronus would agree to the favor. Cronus couldn’t keep from smiling. Kankri probably didn’t realize Cronus would do anything for him.
    Because we’re best friends, he told himself. Completely platonic buddies. No dumb crushes, no siree.
    Cronus shook his head to ward away the dangerous thoughts that were starting to flock to his brain. He’d been down that road before, and it most definitively wasn’t fun. To distract himself, he tapped the screen of his phone, which had dimmed to save power, and typed out his response.
    sure thing, kankri. im surprised you didnt ask porrim. shes a better driver than me. and lives closer.
    He watched the little speech bubble with an ellipsis appear almost immediately.
    She’d make a big deal out of it. I don’t want everyone to know I’m infirm. It would just be a drain on them. Porrim would tell all our friends about it in a way designed to make them worry about me. And I don’t want that.
    haha, whatever you say, chief. either way, im totally cool with picking you up.
    Thank you so much, Cronus. I’m sorry to cause you trouble.
    dude. youre not causing a single ounce of trouble. youre gonna get a medical procedure done. a necessary medical procedure. and youre gonna be too loopy to get home on your own. this is literally the least i, as your friend, can do.
    Oh, don’t say that. You do a lot more for me than you think.
    whatever you say dude.
    Cronus blushed as he slid his phone back into his pocket. Normally, talking to Kankri didn’t get him this flustered, but… that last sentence. Could it maybe be a sign? That perhaps Kankri secretly harbored affections for him beyond those of best bros?
    Cronus sighed and shook his head. He got his hopes up like that almost every time Kankri said anything, but he knew how his best friend was. He liked to keep to himself. To be calm, and reasonable, and emotions beyond those required to be courteous just didn’t seem to fit into his personality. Even though he seemed warmer when they were together than normal, Cronus couldn’t say he’d ever detected anything that could really be interpreted as a romantic advance.
    Not that he didn’t try to interpret Kankri’s behavior like that. But whenever he got his hopes up, his brain swooped in from out of nowhere and doused them. What makes you so special? Why would Kankri ever see you as someone wonderful, the way you see him? That’s right. He wouldn’t. And his self esteem would crawl back into the dark cave it had come from.
    He didn’t want to embarrass himself by letting anything on to Kankri. It would most certainly ruin their friendship. And as dumb as Cronus often felt he was, he wasn’t enough of a complete idiot to not realize that Kankri’s friendship was infinitely better than no Kankri at all.
    It was nearly impossible to hide how bad he had it for the constantly sweater-clad dork. He’d catch himself staring at Kankri’s lips as he rambled, not so much listening to his actual words as drinking in the soft, smooth, high-pitched tone of his beautiful voice. It usually took a few seconds to shake himself back to reality when he finally caught on that Vantas had stopped talking.
    The best way to conceal his affections, he reasoned, was to never stop flirting with anyone else. Friends, strangers, teachers, it didn’t matter. The only person who wasn’t a target of his constant, omnidirectional romantic solicitations was one poofy-haired, long-winded Kankri Vantas. Heck, he hit on his little brother more than he did on Kankri.
    Wisdom Teeth Thursday came. Cronus bade Kankri good luck as they left the school building, then climbed into the ’50s-style car he had somehow procured when he got his license and drove home.
    When he got to his house, he picked up the shopping list he had made on Tuesday. Ice cream, apple juice, oatmeal, tomato soup, yogurt, V8, ice packs. Google had served him well, and it didn’t take too long to pick up all these items, as well as a bottle of ibuprofen, just to be safe.
    At 4:20 he was waiting at the clinic, and by 4:35 he was hauling a barely-conscious Kankri to his car. He drove to the Vantas residence, but quickly discovered that their plans had changed when Kankri couldn’t produce his house key. Cronus wasn’t in the mood to dig through his backpack and pockets in an attempt to find it, so he led the drugged boy back to the vehicle.
    "Change of plans, Kankri. We’re going to my place until you’ve recovered enough to stay awake."
    Kankri’s only response was a groan.
    "Don’t worry, you’ll be able to rest soon enough."
    Cronus got to his home more quickly than usual, but Kankri had fallen asleep and wouldn’t budge when Cronus tried to move him. Cronus swore under his breath and texted his brother.
    eridan youd better be at home right now
    Luckily, the reply was nearly instantaneous.
    dont get your panties in a twist cro
    ive been home for almost an hour
    speakin a which where have you been
    do you know karkat vantas and his brother?
    yeah the dork whos always wearin a sweater
    what about them
    kankri just had his wisdom teeth out. i need you to help me carry him inside.
    Eridan was surprisingly quick to get outside. Cronus thanked him sincerely as the two lifted Kankri out of the car and brought him inside. Once Kankri was on the couch, Eridan bolted for the door.
    "Hey, where do you think you’re going?”
    "I’m not takin’ care o’ your stupid boyfriend. I’m headin’ out. I’ll text you if I see Kar. An’ tell him to get his ass to his house so he can watch his brother."
    "He’s not my boyfriend!" But Eridan had already left.
    Cronus sighed and looked at the teenager sprawled across his living room couch. The sight of Kankri’s face, even though it seemed like his jaw was already swelling up, was enough to put a smile on his face.
    "Damn, you’re just too adorable," he said. "Wait right there, I’ll fetch you a blanket and some ice for your face."
    Cronus didn’t even bother denying the surge of happiness and affection that bubbled through him as he tended to Kankri. He pulled up a chair and set it right by the couch, watching Kankri’s sleeping face. Eventually, he dozed off and slumped in his seat, only to awaken when Kankri did.
    "Cronush… Cronush, mah fasche hurtsh. Cronush. Cronush, I needjyoo."
    Cronus was immediately right next to Kankri.
    "Shh, Kankri, it’s OK. I’m here."
    Kankri turned his head and opened his eyes enough to look at Cronus. His eyes widened to almost-fully open and he made a small smile that somehow carried the quality of a face-splitting grin.
    "Cronush!"
    "That’s right, Kankri, the one and only. What do you need?"
    Kankri just smiled at him. Cronus wondered what it felt like to be in the haze of medication. Speaking of which, by the looks of the clock, it was about time for another dose.
    "You want your painkillers, Kankri?"
    "Yeah."
    Cronus helped Kankri take the pills. Once he was finished, he got up to get some apple sauce from the fridge.
    "Shtop."
    He turned around. Kankri was staring at him with a hand outreached.
    "What is it?"
    "Don’t leave me," he begged.
    "It’s OK, Kankri, I’m just getting you something to eat. I’ll be back before you can count to ten." He then ran to the kitchen and grabbed the apple sauce, spoon, and a small glass dish. When he returned, Kankri seemed to be smirking.
    "I got to twelve," he bragged.
    "Well, aren’t you quick," said Cronus with a chuckle as he twisted off the lid and scooped the thick, sweet sauce into the dish.
    "Open up." He fed Kankri about half the dish, then Kankri shook his head.
    "I’m full."
    "All righty then." Cronus set down the dish and made to sit down again.
    "Shtay wiff me…" whined Kankri.
    "Hey, I’m not leaving! Just giving you space so you can rest."
    Kankri shook his head. “I don’ wanna sleep.”
    Cronus put his head in his hands. “Why not? You need to rest, Kankri.”
    "I wanna be with you." Kankri’s eyes seemed a bit clearer than they’d been earlier.
    "All right," said Cronus reluctantly. "I won’t make you sleep."
    Kankri made Cronus talk to keep him up. At several times, his eyes would close and Cronus would stop, but Kankri would always open his eyes again.
    "Keep talkin’. I’m not tired."
    This would provoke a laugh. “All right, but you sure look tired.”
    After about the third time this happened, Cronus shook his head.
    "Kankri, you’ve gotta sleep. You’re not gonna get better otherwise."
    "I’ll only sleep if you gimme a kish."
    Cronus’ heart stopped. “W-what?”
    "Gimme a kiss, and I’ll go to shleep." He jabbed a finger into the center of his forehead. "Right here, on my head."
    "Kankri, are you OK?"
    Kankri laughed. “Do I look OK?”
    Cronus shook his head. “That’s the sanest thing you’ve said since I picked you up.” Vaguely he wondered why the hell neither Eridan nor Karkat had contacted him.
    "Come on, gimme a kiss, Cronus. I wan’ you to kiss me."
    Believe me, I do too, thought Cronus ruefully. “All right, Kankri. You win.” He pressed his lips to Kankri’s warm, sweaty forehead.
    "There, I kissed you. Now go to sleep. I’m going to fetch a washcloth to put on your head — you’re feeling a bit warm."
    Kankri didn’t protest, and by the time Cronus returned, he was sleeping peacefully. Cronus leaned forward again and gave his forehead another kiss before putting the damp cloth on it. Kankri sighed in his sleep, and the sound and sight filled Cronus with such overwhelming emotion he couldn’t help but sigh in return.
    The phone rang. Cronus dashed to pick it up, but didn’t answer until he’d walked back to the couch to keep an eye on Kankri while he talked.
    "Cronus Ampora speaking, how may I help you?" Normally, he’d add some insincere term of endearment, but he was feeling a little stressed at the moment.
    A gruff, familiar voice filled the earpiece. “Eridan tells me you’ve got my brother at your place.”
    "Yeah… do you want to pick him up? Or for me to take him to your house?"
    "No, actually… I was wondering if you could maybe keep him overnight? I can pick him up in the morning — we’ve both got the day off school specifically for this."
    "Yeah, no problem, chief," said Cronus, a smile coming to his face. "If you want, I can drop him off at your place with the stuff I got at the store to take care of him."
    "You went to the store and got stuff to look after my brother?" Karkat’s incredulity was enough to make Cronus blush. "Wow. That’s… really caring of you. I never knew you actually —"
    "Yeah, yeah, I’m a jerk," said Cronus, cutting the younger Vantas off. "But seriously, he’s in no condition to take care of himself. Barely recognizable, really."
    Karkat groaned. “Ugh, I suck at this kind of thing. Here’s hoping he’ll be at least marginally better by morning.”
    "Yeah, same here. See ya tomorrow."
    Cronus hung up the phone and smiled at the still-sleeping Kankri. He yawned, then looked at the clock.
    "Oh man," he said aloud. "I didn’t realize it was this late." He fetched his own blanket and curled up in the armchair.
    The sound of the door woke him up about two hours later.
    "Night, Cro," mumbled Eridan sleepily as he shuffled to his room.
    "Night." Cronus was about to go back to sleep again when he heard Kankri moving around. He seemed to be trying to get up. Cronus was on his feet at once.
    "What do you need, Kankri?"
    "I gotta pee…"
    "All right, I’ll steer ya to the bathroom." Cronus propped Kankri up and helped him walk down the hall.
    "You’re feeling a bit wobbly on your feet," he said as he turned on the light and ushered him inside, "so I’d advise sitting down. I don’t want to come in there and rescue you while you’re not wearing pants." This gave him an idea.
    "Also, I’m gonna fetch some old PJs of mine so you don’t have to sleep in your clothes."
    Cronus found a pair of sweatpants and a faded t-shirt that he had grown out of in ninth grade. They looked like they’d fit Kankri’s smaller frame perfectly. Cronus rapped on the bathroom door.
    "You finished in there?"
    "Yeah."
    He opened the door. Kankri was sitting on the closed toilet with his head in his hands.
    "Cronus, my head hurts."
    "Put these on, I’ll get you your meds."
    "Thanks."
    "No problem, Kankri," said Cronus as he left to get the medicine. When he returned, he chuckled. Just as he’d expected, the old clothes fit Kankri almost as well as they’d fit Cronus when he had worn them.
    This time, Kankri didn’t need any help swallowing the pills.
    "You’re doing great, Kankri," said Cronus as they walked down the hallway, Kankri practically draped over his shoulders.
    "No, you’re great,” mumbled Kankri.
    "If you say so."
    Cronus helped Kankri adjust the blanket. Several minutes passed, and Cronus was sure Kankri’d dozed off completely when he surprised him by speaking up.
    "I mean it, Cronus. You’re a really great friend, and I’m really glad that you’re taking such good care of me."
    Cronus smiled at Kankri. He seemed to be getting more and more lucid by the hour.
    "Aw shucks, Kankri, you’re making me blush."
    "I don’t care. You’re always saying stuff like ‘oh I’m so dumb. oh I’m not worth anything. I’m not cool.’ But I think you’re really cool. I like you, Cronus. A lot."
    "That’s the drugs talking," said Cronus automatically.
    "No, it’s the truth," insisted Kankri. "You’re my best friend. I lo—"
    "That’s enough," said Cronus, a bit more loudly than he wanted. "Um. Sorry about shouting at you. But really, Kankri, don’t talk about stuff like that until you’re better. You probably won’t even remember today clearly, so don’t go and get my hopes up — uh, say weird stuff you don’t mean. Just… just go to sleep. I’m gonna do the same."
    "No, don’t leave…"
    "I didn’t say I was going to. I’ll still be right here in case you need me."
    "Good." He didn’t say anything after that.
    Cronus bit his lip as he sat in silence.
    "Kankri, you awake?" No answer.
    That meant it was safe. Cronus finally allowed the sob he’d been trying to hold in to escape.
    "It’s not fair," he choked through the stream of tears. "I love you so much, Kankri, I can’t stand it. And I’ve always wished you liked me back, but I know that it’s not gonna happen. And I don’t blame you, but it hurts, Kankri. It hurts so much, and… I just don’t know what to do."
    He cried silently until, worn out, he fell asleep. Neither he nor Kankri awakened until morning.
    "Ugh, I don’t wanna go to school."
    "Me neither, Kankri." Cronus was surprised by how chipper his voice sounded. "But the difference between you and me is I have to go today, and you get to stay home. I’m taking you to your house, where Karkat’s gonna take great care of you."
    "He’s not as good as you."
    "Don’t be silly, he’s your brother. He’ll be great."
    "Visit me after school?"
    "Don’t worry about it. I’ll be at your house the minute the bell rings."
    Cronus loaded Kankri, the ice packs, a few cans of soup, and a carton of ice cream into the car. When they were about halfway there, Kankri started laughing.
    "Cronus, I’m wearing your clothes. I’m wearing your clothes, and my clothes are at your house."
    "Don’t worry, Kankri. You can keep the pajamas. They don’t fit me anymore."
    "What about my clothes?”
    "I’ll take care of your sweater for you."
    Karkat was waiting at the door when Cronus pulled into the driveway. He came down and supported Kankri while Cronus carried the food and ice packs into the house. He stopped Cronus on his way out.
    "Hey, man, thanks again for your help. Seriously, both of us are really grateful."
    "Uh… thanks for trusting me to take care of your brother."
    Karkat laughed. “Really, it was never really a question. Kankri asked me to do it, and I told him I had play practice and that you’d be a better caretaker than me. I just didn’t expect him to be so out of it he couldn’t get his house key out of his own damn pocket. I’m sorry you had to keep him at your place.”
    Cronus shook his head. “Honestly, it wasn’t a problem at all. He was great.”
    "Listen, Cronus. I know you like him. And I’m pretty sure he likes you back."
    Cronus froze. He tried to open his mouth and talk, but his brain was completely failing to produce words. Why was Karkat telling him this?
    "I don’t have a problem with it. Just some advice — make the first move. Get the guts to tell him yourself. If you don’t, he sure as hell isn’t going to initiate anything."
    "Uh…"
    Karkat retreated into the house.
    "Look, it’s about time for you to go to school. You can trust me with my own brother. You don’t have to take my advice if you don’t want to, but the way I see it, it’s the only way you’ll get a chance with him." And with that he closed the door.
    Cronus couldn’t focus on anything else for the rest of the day. He pulled his notebook out, but he drew pictures of Kankri. Instead of sitting at the table of friends he normally spent time with when Kankri was occasionally absent, he ate alone at the same place he and Kankri ate almost every day. All day long, the only thing on his mind was Kankri Vantas.
    True to his word, he drove to the Vantas home as quickly as he could as soon as he was out of class. He knocked. Surprisingly, Karkat was waiting at the door with a wry smile on his face.
    "He seemed to think you’d be here four minutes ago."
    "What? I… oh.”
    Cronus dashed inside. Kankri was in the middle of a veritable nest of pillows and blankets with a grin on his face.
    "It’s been almost five minutes since the bell rang, Cronus."
    Hearing Kankri sound so much more like himself than he had hours ago nearly made Cronus’ heart melt. He rushed to Kankri’s side and laughed.
    "Yeah, I guess I did exaggerate slightly, huh?"
    "I’m wounded, Cronus. I thought you were a man of your word."
    "Eh, that’s what happens when you make an impossible promise to someone you’re not expecting to hold you to it."
    Kankri laughed. “I’m feeling so much better than I did yesterday. I can’t believe how woozy I was. Some of the things I said…”
    Cronus’ heart sank, and he felt his stomach clench. He looked away and tried to smile. Why was it so hard?
    "Heh, yeah, you were pretty out of it…"
    "Well, don’t worry. I’m still in pain and weak, but at least my head’s clear."
    "Of course."
    "Cronus, are you all right?"
    "Huh? Oh, yeah, I’m fine."
    "Look, I know you’re upset about last night."
    "I… what? You remember that?"
    Kankri cringed. “Vaguely. I was… ugh, I was so…”
    Cronus couldn’t say anything. He was too busy dreading what he knew Kankri was about to say. So out of it. So loopy. So tired I was saying I felt things when really I didn’t feel them to the same extent I was making it sound like. His head filled with all the worst possibilities.
    "I was so… frustrated. I was trying to tell you how much I appreciated you, and it slipped out. I… oh, I’m so embarrassed, I must have made you feel so awkward…”
    "Wait, what?"
    Kankri kept talking. “I mean, how horrible did I make you feel? I know I did. Being told that someone likes you when you don’t like him back just feels completely awful, and there I was, running my unguarded mouth without any regards to your well-being.”
    "Kankri, what?”
    "After all, I wouldn’t want you to feel obligated to return my feelings, or wonder if I was only saying it because you were taking care of me…"
    He coughed, and Cronus took his chance.
    "Kankri. Stop." He put his hand on the pile of blankets where he assumed Kankri’s chest was. When Kankri’s wide, brown eyes met Cronus’, they seemed almost filled with regret.
    "Kankri. That’s… that’s not why I reacted that way. I promise."
    Kankri tilted his head. “I actually don’t remember what you said.”
    Cronus laughed nervously. You’re on your own, bub, said the part of his brain that liked to beat himself up.
    "Well… I thought you were only saying that because you were grateful, like you said… but I also thought it was too good to be true. There was no way, in my head, that you could possibly like me. You’re so wonderful, and I’m…" He gestured at himself. "… Cronus." oh no that better not be another tear no no no no no you are not gonna start crying keep it together Cronus
    "Cronus." It wasn’t an echo, but a definitive statement. Cronus looked up, already starting to cry despite his best efforts to keep his composure.
    "Stop listening to yourself, and listen to me. I’m the leading authority on my own emotions, and I’m not so drugged up with painkillers anymore. I can think clearly, and I can speak definitively. I. Love. You. And nothing you do will change that.”
    And with that, Kankri turned the key to the waterworks. Cronus began bawling like a baby, sobbing incoherently into his hands.
    "Come here," cooed Kankri, and he beckoned Cronus to lean into the blanket pile. A pair of arms emerged and put their hands on Cronus’ back. Pat, pat. Pat, pat. When Cronus was done crying, he looked up blearily at Kankri, who was smiling softly.
    "Now that you’re feeling better… could you perhaps get me some water? I’m thirsty."
    Cronus laughed and stood up.
    "Anything you say, Kankri. Anything you say."

I wrote it on Wednesday I think
    I'm really tired
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1205

I knew I had forgotten something. This weeks theme is Scream.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

cool Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Status!

@Neorice: Yep, as usual. Nothing has really changed except for the time of the Status post - still gotta get everything up before Sunday has run its course!
    Ahah okay, well I'm gonna join again as of this week.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Halfling in the Playground

Sorry, should have made it a little clearer, but I had this week's challenge data uploaded in advance, via my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    In the meantime, I had a little inspiration tonight and managed to pull off a successful 1970-word blitz. So here's this week in advance:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0fo...it?usp=sharing
    [EDIT] Whoops, wasn't set to share. Fixed that.
    Last edited by redfeatherraven; 2013-09-23 at 07:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, should have made it a little clearer, but I had this week's challenge data uploaded in advance, via my previous post.
    Oh, alright, no problem. I'm fixing the status post
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-09-26 at 09:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As much as I hate to say it, I think I will have to drop out from The Challenge. Unfortunately, I don't think I can commit to schoolwork and sufficient writing to keep it up. Hopefully I'll be back once my schedule is less crazy.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

10. - Top - End - #1210

Glass Mouse, would you be so kind as to fix my standing, or was my submission too late?
    Reworking Sleeping Beauty. 1634 words.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There once were three fairies. They were sisters as old as time itself, and none could remember who came first. Perhaps they all sprang into being at the same moment. But it doesn't matter.
    One had a countenance as bright as midday, and a disposition as forbiddingly warm as the sun.
    Another was shady and calm like midnight, as should have been expected by literally everyone who heard the description of the first.
    The third, predictably, acted as a sort of medium between the other two. She was like the dusk, the dawn, the twilight. The middle ground -- or, in this extended simile, sky. But there aren't really any trite phrases involving the skies that describe mediators.
    For ages, the three fairies lived in harmony, or at least a fairly close approximation of it. Due to the first two being essentially as different as night and day, there was a reasonable amount of strife. But the middle sister was always able to resolve any conflicts that occurred.
    However, the years of acting as a bridge between her two extreme sisters began to exact their toll on the twilit fairy, and one day, out of nowhere, she snapped.
    Frankly, they had all been expecting the night fairy to succumb to her inner darkness or whatever, and the corruption of the supposedly safe middle ground came as a nasty shock. She somehow combined the bleak darkness of midnight, removing the hope of the coming dawn, and the harshness of the day, without the cheer of sunshine, into a new kind of wickedness that was more formidable than the extreme version of either light or dark.
    She separated herself from the others, becoming the Wicked Fairy, and the tragedy of losing their sister united the two so-called opposites in a way that the previous failed attempts at peacemaking never had. But their union was one of sadness, and they were never quite the same afterwards. Both of them were subdued, though they still embodied the day and night.
    Several years, long enough for everyone involved to lose count, after the Wicked Fairy split away from her sisters, a nearby human kingdom celebrated the birth of a new heir -- a princess. A month after the royal birth, the monarchs threw a gala in celebration, inviting nobles from other countries in the region. Since the king had heard of a pair of powerful fairies that lived in the same area as their kingdom, he extended an invitation to them as well, not knowing of their malevolent sister, as the Wicked Fairy had passed into the status of folktales whispered between commoners.
    At the party, all the invited guests bestowed gifts upon the sleeping infant, who was too young to really comprehend what was going on. It's probably best that she napped through the entire event -- had she not, she would have spent an inordinate time reminding everyone present why it's a bad idea for anyone to be born into leadership positions with her wails.
    The queen and king, having a rather good sense of showmanship but a poor sense of how quickly uninvited guests with magical abilities can discover and crash parties, foolishly saved the appearances of the Day and Night Fairies for the very end of the event, which just so happened to be at sundown. Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone present to let them know how bad this was, and the party continued obliviously.
    Because they were fairies, the only gifts really available to them were nature-y things that royals would look down upon and magical gifts, which were envied by all. It was fairly obvious which kind of gift the Fairies, being good-hearted, would choose to bestow.
    The Day Fairy, naturally, went first. She took a long look at the baby's face, and though it was virtually identical to the face of every other sleeping baby ever, she smiled and clicked her fingers. For a moment, it seemed a glimmer of sunlight played upon the child's face, but she didn't awaken, because magic can be used to explain away virtually anything. The Day Fairy, pleased with her work, turned around to announce to the gathered guests the spell she had cast.
    "The princess will be blessed with magical abilities and the skill of witchcraft from a young age, and her magic will stay with her until the day she dies."
    "She'd better savor it then," said a voice from apparently nowhere. Rays from the setting sun streamed through the palace windows, and the Wicked Fairy materialized behind the decorative cradle in which the princess dozed. Who else could it have been?
    The crowd gasped, and the Wicked Fairy's smirk changed to a scowl. She waved her hand, and the room fell deathly silent.
    "Do you mind? I was trying to make a snappy retort, and you all go and interrupt me."
    She closed her eyes to regain composure, then chuckled.
    "As I was saying… the princess had better savor her magic, since the day she dies will be much sooner than my dear foolish sister anticipated."
    At the word "sister," a duke fell over. He would have made a sound of shock, but nobody in the room was currently able to make a sound. The Wicked Fairy ignored him.
    "Hmm… let's see, what's a good age, what's a good age… you know, I really should have planned this out…" She paced, and several people got the sense she knew exactly what curse she intended to bestow and was simply drawing out the moment.
    "Oh! I know! Before the sun rises on the day after her sixteenth birthday, the little brat will prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel."
    She burst into laughter, and the Day and Night Fairies glared at her. Some swear that she stuck out her tongue at her fellow fairies, but few have been able to confirm this.
    "And do you want to know the best part? When she does this, she'll die! Now isn't that lovely?"
    The Wicked Fairy cackled again, and with a burst of light, she vanished. The words "that's what you get for ignoring the Wicked!" lingered in the air behind her, as well as the curse of silence. As the sun passed over the horizon, the spell faded away, but still nobody said a word. Everyone turned to the Night Fairy.
    "Well," said the queen, "aren't you going to break the curse?"
    "Oh, no," said the Night Fairy. "Curses are more powerful than spells. Harder to cast, but once they're in place, only the caster can remove them. They can be twisted, but the intent of the caster can never be truly removed from the target of the curse."
    The queen and king gripped each other's hands and stared at their baby while the Night Fairy hummed in thought.
    "I think I know what I can do, but it's not going to be pretty. I can save your daughter's life, but… well, once she turns sixteen, you'll never see her again."
    The king and queen hesitated, but eventually the queen shook her head.
    "We can deal with that, if it means she'll live to see the light of day. Proceed with your spell."
    The king nodded.
    "I stand with my wife. We'll do anything to save our child."
    The Night Fairy turned around and muttered under her breath for several minutes. Finally, she wiped her forehead and raised her voice.
    "The princess will, indeed, prick her finger as the Wicked Fairy foretold. When she does so, she will fall into a deathlike sleep. While she sleeps, her body, mind, and magic will be preserved, even as the world around her changes and ages. Only when her true love comes and kisses her will she awaken -- and by the time this happens, everyone she knows will be dead."
    The Day and Night Fairies nodded to each other, then vanished, without another word, like mist. Solemnly, the king and queen lifted their child, who was starting to stir, themselves, and carried her to her quarters.
    Years passed, and as expected, the princess began manifesting magical abilities. Mages, sorcerers, alchemists, and all kinds of magical experts were summoned to tutor her, and she learned insatiably. She grew to be a bright young lady, and the king and queen did their best to ignore the fact that their time with her would be limited. They'd find a loophole. They just knew it.
    One nursemaid, however, remembered every detail of the Wicked Fairy's curse, and every night she came to the princess' room to give her extra lessons. Though she had no magical craft, she was wiser than anyone in the kingdom, and the princess cherished her advice.
    The night of her fifteenth birthday, she told her the most valuable story she had. The princess lay sprawled on the bed, murmuring to herself a poem she'd composed in the frog language, when the nursemaid came into her room.
    "Princess, it's about time I told you something your parents have been hiding your entire life."
    The princess sat up and focused alertly on her beloved nursemaid.
    "Oh?"
    "You've been cursed from nearly the day you were born. I won't tell you all the details, as doing so will simply get the idea in your head that you can somehow avoid fulfilling the curse. But I will tell you this -- it's your job to make sure the curse is eventually broken."
    "What's going to happen," said the princess lightly. "Will I turn into an animal?"
    "No. But you will…*oh, nice try, but it'll take more than that for me to reveal what's going to happen!" The nursemaid winked.
    "But honestly, this is a serious matter. Have you ever heard of the power of true love's first kiss?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1211

No luck this week. Got in some 60 hours with work, but all my writing time was eaten up in the process, and all I've got is a 568-word pittance.

No worries. Someday my streak will come. This week is either going to be better or worse in the writing regard; we'll see which soon.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with a four-panel comic including a scream, and three character portraits.

Lycunadari passes with five botanical garden photos, and a fanart painting.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 2,194 words of OoTS missed details and linkage.

MeanMrsMustard passes with 1,634 words of Sleeping Beauty reimagining.

D.KnightSpider passes with a "scream spell" comic, and 1,385 words of story.

redfeatherraven didn't upload anything due to workload.

rs2excelsior is out of the Challenge.

Neoriceisgood passes with seven comic pages.

Thus, MeanMrsMustard and redfeatherraven FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatofDoom, MeanMrsMustard, D.KnightSpider, and rs2excelsior PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 153 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lycunadari
    Current run: 39 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 8 weeks

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 24 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 18 weeks
    Themes: 6 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: -

rs2excelsior
    Longest run: 5 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 1 week
    Longest run: 32 weeks

Next week's theme is chosen by MeanMrsMustard - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I think I will have to drop out from The Challenge. Unfortunately, I don't think I can commit to schoolwork and sufficient writing to keep it up. Hopefully I'll be back once my schedule is less crazy.
    Sorry to hear that. But good luck with school and everything

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    Glass Mouse, would you be so kind as to fix my standing, or was my submission too late?
    Wuh! I was sure I had already done that. Must've mixed up you and redfeatherraven, sorry.

No worries. Someday my streak will come. This week is either going to be better or worse in the writing regard; we'll see which soon.
    Crossing my fingers for "better"

Oh, and welcome back, Neorice!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-10-04 at 05:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ettin in the Playground

I sent you one in my first PM...but I'll post it here!

POWER
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

14. - Top - End - #1214

And here i was hoping that Nice Hat could see an encore .

Congratulations to D.KnightSpider for reaching the 18 week mark. You've earned a prize:
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    What are the prizes?
    • The first time you pass the 18 week mark, IncoherentEssay will craft and mail you one figurine of your choice*.

*snip*

* within board rules and reasonable size constraints.
    PM me once you've decided what you want as your prize.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

OOH! OH! That reminds me! This is my 8th week in my streak, is Glass Mouse still doing drawings?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    OOH! OH! That reminds me! This is my 8th week in my streak, is Glass Mouse still doing drawings?
    I do, though I am terribly behind. But send me a PM, and it'll get made once I'm done with the others*

*a ton of apologies to you guys - you know who you are!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey mouse. My roommate moved out suddenly and without warning, and took the router. I currently am off of work for a wedding I'm in this weekend I'm the best man for, and work is the only other place I generally have access to the internet. I don't know how long my lack of home internet will last, but I'll send you what I've gotten accomplished this week...which is a ridiculous amount. I'm also on vacation in Maine next week, so would it be okay if I do an accumulation of weeks like you did, and post you some pictures or various other things in two weeks, along with that week's submission? That would be really swell.

Since it doesn't fit in this post, let me link it.

Post 2, sections 401 - 500, and 501 - 600.

Post 3, sections 601- 700, 701 - 800, and 801 - 900

Post 4, section 901 - 100.

Totalling: 6520 words.

(and I'll think on that drawing! Take your time.)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2013-10-03 at 11:14 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'm also on vacation in Maine next week, so would it be okay if I do an accumulation of weeks like you did, and post you some pictures or various other things in two weeks, along with that week's submission? That would be really swell.
    So, two weeks' worth of work uploaded on the 20th? Yep, sure, that's no problem

Have a great vacation!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #1219

Status!

Lycunadari passes with five botanical garden photos, and an OC painting.
    Not an OC, the painting is Radic from CoffeeIncluded's comic Murphy's Law.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    Not an OC, the painting is Radic from CoffeeIncluded's comic Murphy's Law.
    Oh. I thought I recognized Ilya, but that was apparantly mistaken Fixed!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-10-04 at 05:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

21. - Top - End - #1221

You guys know what's fun?
    Tablets.
    Spoiler: Ponies!
    Show
    Spoiler: My OC, Nikki.
    Show
    Spoiler: My brother's OC, Thunderclap.
    Show

Spoiler: Silly drawing for my brother. (He's turning 10 on the 20th!)
    Show

Spoiler: Fantroll fun.
    Show
    Spoiler: My first sprite!
    Show
    Spoiler: Her ancestor, The Occluded.
    Show
    Spoiler: Her ancestor as a young troll.
    Show
    Spoiler: Bonus: after dying.
    Show

Spoiler: Links.
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

Status!

Glass Mouse passes with a four-panel comic and a V family picture.

Lycunadari passes with six flower photos.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 6,520 words of OoTS guide.

MeanMrsMustard passes with two ponies, three OC drawings, and a snow angel.

D.KnightSpider passes with a 735 words scene about the power of... well, power. And a OoTS cross universe.

redfeatherraven wrote 1,234 words combined.

Neoriceisgood passes with 100 furniture sprites, four rooms, and five people sprites.

Thus, redfeatherraven FAILS this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatofDoom, MeanMrsMustard, D.KnightSpider, and Neoriceisgood PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 154 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 40 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 9 weeks

MeanMrsMustard
    Current run: 25 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 19 weeks
    Themes: 7 weeks

redfeatherraven

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Longest run: 32 weeks

Next week's theme is chosen by D.KnightSpider - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

I think I'm starting to settle into some kind of webcomic making habit that still leaves time for other projects. It's great! Now I just gotta catch up on Challenge prizes before I can start following themes again
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2013-10-07 at 05:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lol I was just getting my list ready.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Lol I was just getting my list ready.
    Hurry! And stick to Sunday in the future - I know you live somewhere with no timezone excuses
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Hurry! And stick to Sunday in the future - I know you live somewhere with no timezone excuses
    Yeah I'll try, I was away for the weekend so didn't really get a chance to. (art sent in note btw)

26. - Top - End - #1226

Workload skewed towards "worse" this week, sorry.

Managed 1234 words compiled, but not terribly happy with it yet. Probably going to go through some rewrites.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Status post updated

redfeatherraven: Any writing is good writing! Just gotta soldier through.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

100 sprites and 5 sprites.

That really makes those five sound unimpressive.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    100 sprites and 5 sprites.

That really makes those five sound unimpressive.
    Hahaha
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

30. - Top - End - #1230

redfeatherraven: Any writing is good writing!
    The bulk of this wasn't. I don't think what I wrote this week was meant to be written and analyzed so much as shown. Glad I got it on paper nonetheless, just to get it out of my head.

Also, personal topic for this week: Anything but Tobias. Let's see who else I can fit into the theme.