New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The CHALLENGE continues!

Heads up that I haven't uploaded anything this week, and that I'm making something that I don't even know if/how it should count for the next one, but we'll see.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Status and stuffs.

Glass Mouse passes with a comic page and two character drawings.

Lycunadari passes with four sky photos and two musical beauty pictures.

TheWombatOfDoom passes with 1078 words of Empire Roleplaying, 332 words of Random Banter RP, and a bunch of thread upkeep.

Neoriceisgood passes with 8 double comic pages.

HeadlessMermaid didn’t upload/send me anything.

redfeatherraven passes with 750 words of Northern settler history, and 896 words of character background.

Grozomah uploaded a new logo.

Rysc passes with 1,730 words of character background.

Moriwen passes with 1210 words of coldly gripping story, 395 words of dragons, and 537 words of LOTR fanfic.

D.KnightSpider passes with two big-ish theme pieces (one including a terrible pun), 1,291 words of RPGing, and a Genre Unsavvy fanart (eeeeeeeee!)

HellFireLover didn’t upload/send me anything.

Ikaru passes with an avatar, a gloves page, a landscape and three pages of objects.

Thus, HeadlessMermaid, Grozomah and HellFireLover FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatofDoom, Neoriceisgood, redfeatherraven, Grozomah, Rysc, Moriwen, D.KnightSpider and Ikaru PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 173 weeks
    Longest run: -
    Themes: -

Lycunadari
    Current run: 59 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 28 weeks
    Longest run: 3 weeks

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 21 weeks
    Longest run: 32 weeks

HeadlessMermaid
    Current run: -
    Longest run: 11 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: 2 weeks
    Longest run: 4 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Grozomah

Rysc
    Current run: 9 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

Moriwen
    Current run: 4 weeks
    Themes: 4 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 3 weeks
    Themes: 2 weeks

Ikaru
    Current run: 1 week

This week's theme, chosen by Rysc, is Armor.

Next week's theme is chosen by Moriwen - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Am I already too late? Not sure which time zone counts ...

Sorry for the poor quality of the potos, I don't have a scanner available at the moment.
    As long as it’s uploaded on your Sunday, you’re safe. On a good day, I do the status the moment Sunday ends everywhere, but for the past many months, I’ve had to do it Monday evening GMT+1 because, well, work. And studies. And life.
    Point is, Sunday is never too late

As for the pictures, no worries about the quality, they look fine. But it’d be awesome if you could scale them next time - they are very screen-stretchy like this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looking at my playlist, I'm choosing Imagine Dragons for next week's prompt. Should make my life easy, writing-wise.
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Ergh. I completely spazzed last week and forgot to upload Friday's comic. It is going up tomorrow instead, and this week's comic will show up Saturday.
    I am gonna let this slide for myself since it's a failure of upload, not productivity, but I thought I'd let you know. No one seems to have noticed, but still. Really sorry about the slip-up.
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2014-02-20 at 05:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello. I'm sorry to do some advertising here, but it is highly needed.
    I'd like to direct you to the Iron Avatarist thread. I require your feedback, and would appreciate if you took the time.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=17042760

Thanks. =D
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's a couple of additions to my submissions this week that's not included on DA.

First, I present a monkey.
    http://i.minus.com/ibzsSwLlWdHt97.png

Second, I present a rabbit.
    http://i.minus.com/igd4HuS2tn6C4.png

Third, I present an RP post of 439 words.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=466

7. - Top - End - #1387

So, assuming I've read the directions right, I can sign up now and participate in next week's challenge? If so, I would love to. Also, in addition, does music count as a creative work? And if it does, would a single piece count as one creative work, or would stack depending on length/complexity?

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Bugbear in the Playground

Submissions for week 2

Walking alone
    Spoiler
    Show

Some kind of saw or stapler thing? It was broken.
    Spoiler
    Show

Definitely a saw
    Spoiler
    Show

Stuff on my desk
    Spoiler
    Show

One and a half hours of musings on "transformation"
    Spoiler
    Show

Waiting
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-02-23 at 06:53 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This looks like an interesting and productive way to curb my procrastination problems. I'm interested in taking this challenge

So, just to be clear, I would start uploading creative works starting next week?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garazza
    You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games.

10. - Top - End - #1390

For this week:

Spoiler: Armor-piercing questions
    Show

Spoiler: 765 words of short story
    Show
    The flames danced…
    She did not know why people invariably compared firelight to dancing, playing. A dance of death, perhaps. She did not know why people referred so fondly to fires and their flickering, dancing shadows. Fire was death. Fire is death.
    She did not know when the flames had started. The heavy blanket of sleep had draped itself over her. The shattered glass of screams had pierced into her. She had not known, then, what had happened. Did not know what the fire had taken from her. But she knew now.
    She watched the smoke trail into the wind, and the cinders fly off into the stars. She watched the flames. They did not dance.
    The flames danced over the blackened frames of their lives, trampling them down and whisking them away…
    “Only half a watch left, now.” Morn uneasily fingered the edge of his cloak, probably contemplating how thin it actually was. How it probably wouldn’t help at all.
    She looked intently at him. He was, understandably, nervous, as this was his first Roaming. The novice had done some forays into the forests surrounding the city, but this, this was completely different. Those had been strolls in the cultivated “wilderness,” just to seek out various plants whose actual usefulness was rather tenuous. There had been a Guide—his Guide—of course, and perhaps a Mender, ostensibly to identify the herbs, but in all practicality to prevent another Event from happening. The sun had glowed, and the birds had sang, and the streams had laughed, or whatever it was that others said they did. Streams flowed, actually. She doubted that anything remotely resembling danger had strayed near Morn’s party, or rather the party that happened to contain Morn.
    And now, full of that completely unfounded confidence that the inexperienced all seem to have after coming back the third time—with the right plant! and within an hour!—he had been thrust upon her. To take on a Roaming for the first time, to give him experience, they had said. They had also neglected to mention that the pair was being sent into territory that she had never scouted before, much less taken a novice on a fieldtrip to.
    They had also completely left out information about the weather patterns of that area. Or rather, the lack thereof.
    She had watched the first flakes fall, assuming that they would soon have melted away, inconsequential. Instead, as they had trekked onwards, the snow had continued to build up around them, until they had been forced to make camp under this little overhang that proved to be largely useless.
    “Well, the storm should clear up soon.” Morn did not seem to be comforted by this. They were still stranded there in the snow, after all.
    “Shouldn’t we have built a fire?”
    A fire/ the flames danced / she glared off into the slackening snowfall.
    Her silence fueled Morn’s nervousness and molded it into something more. “Aren’t you supposed to be an experienced Roamer? There’s snow and cold and night fast approaching, and you just sit there?” She continued staring off, off into the darkening world where the ghosts roamed…
    He scrambled to his feet, brushing off snow and seedheads. Reaching for his pack, he untied the bundle of wood that he had, as part of his standard-issue novice packing list, brought with him. Then his flint and steel. Tinder and kindling from the seedheads and woody stems. He was arranging the wood. Spark—spark—spark to the flammable first, build up the wood. The red began to color the pile.
    She turned grimly. Fire destroyed. He continued in his coaxing, and the flames grew higher. Dancing.
    Trampling their lives/ the last few snowflakes fell to a fiery demise. The heat started stretching out, chasing the snow from surrounding ground. Morn stretched his fingers over the fire, the warmth making up for the thinness of his cloak. “There. Fire equals survival.”
    Except when others—or it—are trying to kill you. But still, she could feel the cold creeping in on her. And the fire /the dancing flames, the deadly flames/ no, warmth. Was that right? She hesitantly reached towards it. The fire breathed life into her cold stiff hands. Fire was death. Maybe it was also life. Maybe.
    Fire is a wild animal. If you can tame it, and watch it, it will give you life. But if you cannot—beware, for it is also death.
    She sat, and watched the clouds part to reveal the stars. The cinders flew up and joined them.

And some RP posts:
    Spoiler: 400 words
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rysc View Post
    As Misha pushes the white-haired girl--Nanami?--into class, Hinoiri inwardly winces. Misha was a bit...obnoxious? No, more like...obliviously cheerful. But she meant it all in good spirit. Hinoiri turns her attention back to the teacher.

Ah, homework. Well, better get this done early so I'll have time to go out later. She flips open her various textbooks and (school) notebooks, and gets ready to start, pausing for a bit over her personal notebook. In the end she sighs and focuses on the homework in front of her.

As the bell rings for lunch break, she neatly packs her supplies into her bag and head out. For some reason two students are dressed as cats. She's pretty sure they're the ones who have been trying to start some sort of Zodiac club. The legends and history and research and analysis were actually quite interesting, but she preferred to keep her thoughts to herself, especially the ones about others. Heading past them, she notices the titles of the fliers. Oh..so that's what the cat costumes are for. Interesting...and strange, others actually think about the things I do. She hesitates, then continues on. Errie's probably going to try to get me to join. There'll be plenty of fliers on the floor by the end of break, so I can get one for Kumori then. They could've used a nicer font, though...

At the cafeteria, Hinoiri looks for an empty table--or at least a relatively vacant one. Spying one in the far corner, she starts the slightly arduous trek through the crowd, at the same time fingering the money in her pocket. Some food would be nice--next time she would make sure to at least eat something for breakfast--but waiting in line...Anyway, she needed to get a new notebook. She could get something after school. Arriving at the table, she pulls up a chair at the farthest side, relaxing slightly. Good, I can be alone. She retrieves her fountain pen and her notebook, and spreads it open before her to a new page. She carefully applies nib to paper.

October 13th, Monday

late

Kumori is like a cat

butterflies with wings like coralberry

the white rabbit

the year of the cat?

Flipping back a few pages, she starts to revise some sentences from an older bit of writing, blocking out the noise and soon forgetting that she's actually hungry...

Spoiler: 300 words
    Show
    As she follows Shaylin out of the cafeteria, Hinoiri notices--or rather hears--the Zodiac Club's attempt to get more members. Misha's probably busy talking to whichever poor soul she last handed a flier too...maybe I can get one from Shizune. She heads in their direction for a moment and accepts a flier from Shizune, and, hoping that Misha won't notice her, hurriedly heads back out to the library.

At least this will give me something to talk about, if needed.

Hinoiri enters the library, and the presence of all those wonderful books makes her feel slightly calmer. Putting the flier aside for now, she sits the farthest she can from the other three without the fact being overly obvious, and then hesitates over her school bag. Writing around others? Well, I could just do homework. That way if anyone asks anything...it'll all be fine. She pulls out her school stuff and--

"How is your day going, Hinoiri? How come you were sitting all alone?"

If she had been eating, Hinoiri was sure she should would have choked. Argh, too much questions...He was just trying to be friendly, right? Come on, respond. "Going well, I guess...though the math we covered today is sort of a pain...and I like it to be quiet...when I'm doing homework...so..." She trails off.

Did that even answer his second question? It sort of sounds like I want them to be quiet, though. It would be rude to all-out tell them that I usually prefer being by myself.

"So I usually sit alone. Um, but thanks for inviting me. It's...a nice change, I suppose." The "nice" part is debatable.

She nervously crumples the corner of a page of her math notebook, trying to ignore the--what was that word?--ambrosial smells wafting over from Nanami's lunchbox.

Spoiler: 258 words
    Show
    After Nanami collapses against the table, Hinoiri looks worriedly over, relieved when the white-haired girl seems to be fine. So...she has some sort of...heart condition? From the way she pressed her hand against her heat, I'd presume shocks aren't good for her. I hope she'll be okay the rest of the day.

She returns Nanami's lunchbox. "Um, thanks so much for letting me have some of your food. And...I hope you're feeling all right." She attempts a small smile at Shaylin and Hideki. "And...thanks for having me." Picking up her bag, she then beats a hasty retreat.

And...well, I guess it was sort of nice in the library. Even if we didn't talk. Especially if we didn't talk.

---

When the class finally lets out, Hinoiri lets out a sigh of relief. Finally, she can escape. As she trudges through the halls, she looks again at the flier.

So strange, how everything fit together. So now I'm a Cat? But this is all hypothetical. I wonder...the Zodiac Club might have something interesting today. And I'm not obliged to join. Hmmm...

Curiosity killed the cat. And I'm a Cat now, aren't I?

Stop being so fatalistic. You can always say you might need to leave early.

Hinoiri turns and heads toward the room in which the Club meeting. Kumori had better be thankful. But she was doing it for herself too, she supposed.

Well, let's see how this goes.

Curiosity killed the cat...

I should really stop thinking that. Just go in.
    She nervously pushes the classroom door open.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, I've not disappeared in case there was any doubt. I'm having internet probs because of telephone exchange upgrade works, upshot is I won't have reliable access til Wednesday. Checking in on ky phone just to say hi and that I will post work midweek. (If that makes me fail this week so be it, but I'm still producing stuff so its all good)
    Chaotic Neutral. Knife fiend. Allergic to many, many tasty things.

Unrepentant Jinsyite. Daily Greet!

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

Status.

Glass Mouse passes with a comic and a big party scene.

Lycunadari passes with four nature photographs, and a two-piece watercolour.

TheWombatOfDoom is on standby (back March 9).

Neoriceisgood passes with 70 new sprite monsters.

HeadlessMermaid is out due to disappearance.

redfeatherraven didn’t upload/send me anything.

Grozomah didn’t upload/send me anything.

Rysc passes with an armor-piercing painting, 765 words of short story, and 958 words of rpg-ing.

Moriwen passes with 1499 words of fanfic, and 528 words of short story.

D.KnightSpider passes with a monkey, a rabbit, 439 words of rpg-ing, and 1202 words of dancing armor.

HellFireLover didn’t upload/send me anything.

Iruka passes with a photo, three pages of tool sketches, three pages of transformations, and a waiting dude.

Thus, redfeatherraven, Grozomah and HellFireLover FAIL this round!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, TheWombatofDoom, Neoriceisgood, Rysc, Moriwen, D.KnightSpider and Iruka PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 174 weeks

Lycunadari
    Current run: 60 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 28 weeks (pending)

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 22 weeks

HeadlessMermaid
    Longest run: 11 weeks

redfeatherraven

Grozomah

Rysc
    Current run: 10 weeks
    Themes: 3 weeks

Moriwen
    Current run: 5 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 4 weeks
    Themes: 3 weeks

Iruka
    Current run: 2 weeks

This week's theme, chosen by Moriwen, is Imagine Dragons.

Next week's theme is chosen by D.KnightSpider - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Hello. I'm sorry to do some advertising here, but it is highly needed.
    I'd like to direct you to the Iron Avatarist thread. I require your feedback, and would appreciate if you took the time.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=17042760

Thanks. =D
    I’d participate, but I can barely find the time for my own projects. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesTiden View Post
    So, assuming I've read the directions right, I can sign up now and participate in next week's challenge? If so, I would love to. Also, in addition, does music count as a creative work? And if it does, would a single piece count as one creative work, or would stack depending on length/complexity?
    Yes, that is correct

As for music, I think I remember that we decided on 30 seconds = one piece for compositions once upon a time. For performance, one song = one piece.
    Does that sound reasonable? Feel free to suggest an alternative - the only demand is that it should be quantifiable and must take at least 20 minutes to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Submissions for week 2
    Thanks for the unstretchiness Also, that Waiting piece is really neat.

And I just noticed that I got your username wrong last time. It should be fixed for the future now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Cat View Post
    This looks like an interesting and productive way to curb my procrastination problems. I'm interested in taking this challenge

So, just to be clear, I would start uploading creative works starting next week?
    Woo, welcome! You can start anytime you want, but you’re only added to the list once you pass your first week. So come at us!

Quote Originally Posted by HellfireLover View Post
    Hey, I've not disappeared in case there was any doubt. I'm having internet probs because of telephone exchange upgrade works, upshot is I won't have reliable access til Wednesday. Checking in on ky phone just to say hi and that I will post work midweek. (If that makes me fail this week so be it, but I'm still producing stuff so its all good)
    We usually make allowances for technical difficulties, but people are usually a little less “eh” about it
    Yay for productivity though! That’s the important part!
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

13. - Top - End - #1393

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    HeadlessMermaid is out due to disappearance.
    Nay, not disappearance! I popped up at the start of the week to say that I hadn't made anything for the previous week, and that I'm starting something new for this week... which I didn't actually make, as it happened.

...Yeah, I'm sorry, I obviously can't focus. Every week I believe I will, this time, and every week I don't. Seeing that I'm just clogging the thread right now, and putting an unfair load of work to our resident bookkeeper, I think it's only fair to pull out.

Sorry for being a burden. Now, avoid my bad example and go create something.
    "We need the excuse of fiction to stage what we truly are." ~ Slavoj Žižek, The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema
    "El bien más preciado es la libertad" ~ Valeriano Orobón Fernández, A las barricadas
    "If civilization has an opposite, it is war." ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness

Roguish | We Were Rogue | [3.5] Greek Mythology Variant | [3.5] The Fey Compendium

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't have any excuses for last week, excepting my memory, which is hardly an excuse. As unfortunate as breaking another streak is...well, I'll just have to begin again.

If I didn't have an interview in the morning I'd be writing right now, but as it is, it'll have to wait a bit longer.

Got some new ideas I'd like to explore, but not one hundred percent certain how I'll go about it. Perhaps I'll just start with unfinished business and go from there.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How about this for next week's theme? Wings of Dreams

16. - Top - End - #1396

Heya! I'm popping in to announce my (temporary!) leave of the challenge. In between mid terms, field reports, preparing for GRE (and TOEFL), writing a collection of probability problems, helping with my sister's wedding and planing a trip to the US, while still being socially active, I kinda ran out of time to consistently produce six presentable creative pieces per week. Go figure.

I'll still lurk around, and every now and then maybe even drop a drawing or two, but not enough to count for submissions.

In other words, keep my current score somewhere, and in the words of the immortal Arnold Schwartzenegger:
    I'll be back.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Something different this week. Test footage captured of an upcoming puppet performance: http://youtu.be/RHJFRBWK7Xg !

It took us an hour to build the stage (PVC pipe and hot glue), the script was written by me over the past few weeks. And, while it doesn't specifically have a dragon involved, I'd argue that the dinosaur could count. They're pretty close. And you could always just... imagine that he's a dragon.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessMermaid View Post
    Nay, not disappearance! I popped up at the start of the week to say that I hadn't made anything for the previous week, and that I'm starting something new for this week... which I didn't actually make, as it happened.

...Yeah, I'm sorry, I obviously can't focus. Every week I believe I will, this time, and every week I don't. Seeing that I'm just clogging the thread right now, and putting an unfair load of work to our resident bookkeeper, I think it's only fair to pull out.

Sorry for being a burden. Now, avoid my bad example and go create something.
    No need to apologize; wanting and trying definitely counts for something as well I'm sorry you couldn't get back in the habit. Hope to see you back when your creative mind gets back in gear.

And sorry about the disappearance mixup. I guess it doesn't matter now, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Grozomah View Post
    Heya! I'm popping in to announce my (temporary!) leave of the challenge. In between mid terms, field reports, preparing for GRE (and TOEFL), writing a collection of probability problems, helping with my sister's wedding and planing a trip to the US, while still being socially active, I kinda ran out of time to consistently produce six presentable creative pieces per week. Go figure.

I'll still lurk around, and every now and then maybe even drop a drawing or two, but not enough to count for submissions.

In other words, keep my current score somewhere, and in the words of the immortal Arnold Schwartzenegger:
    I'll be back.
    Aww, but thanks for letting us know! Good luck on everything, and I'm looking forward to seeing you back
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I'm going to be off for the next couple of weeks -- the semester is picking up, and all of my writing time and energy is going to summer program applications. Hoping to return, though (at least for spring break!)
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.

20. - Top - End - #1400

For this week:

Spoiler: Imagine Dragons
    Show

Spoiler: A map for a campaign I'm in
    Show

Spoiler: 1154 words of short story
    Show
    Her feet hammered out a white rhythm on the vibrant blue-green and bleached beige of the streets, the chatter and roar of the the sea of passerby lending a grey ground to the noise. The streets with their pavements of bone and turquoise seemed to flow endlessly on, interrupted at regular intervals with bridges over back roses. She couldn't be late.

At the stroke of three, he--it?--had said. Midnight was rather overdone.

She barely glanced at the masks of those around her. They were all hidden away, secure. It must be strange to live around others and always see their faces, their emotions and every thought readable. How very curious indeed.

There, the Thanatopsis Bridge. Only a street down, then left at the house in front of the turquoise medallion. Dashing over the bridge, over the canals running with Death, she hastened on and on, listening every moment for the ancient clock above the Square to strike. She couldn't be late. There would be no second chances, he had said. She couldn't afford to lose such a chance. She needed it for Caelan.

Onwards.

The clock began to solemnly announce the hour.

Left.

One.

Up the stairs. Door.

Two.

Down another flight. Another door.

Three.

The sound was muffled now, here in this still old room but she heard it nonetheless. She was here. But--he wasn't. Where was he? Ghosts were full of trickery, some said. Never trust a ghost, some said.

Don't listen to what the others say, some said. She nervously adjusted her mask. This--this couldn't do. Be brave. For Caelan.

"H-hello? I...I'm here. Where...where are you?"

The sorrowful drapes over the only window fluttered slightly, a form solidifying--no, that wasn't the right word--materializing and drifting to the middle of the room. She could just make out a grin. He had been there, waiting. Somehow she realized that he had probably done this to everybody else he had met. If he had met anyone before.

why hello you are indeed here
    and so am i
    you have brought the agreed-upon goods, i hear

"Y-yes. I have. How could," her voice faltered," how could I...not?"

other deals, perhaps
    not all keep their bargains, after all

She tried to focus on him, look him directly in the face, if that was actually the proper terminology for a ghost. Strong, deliberate. Use your words well. You might not have another chance.

"Well, I should hope you aren't one of those. I keep my word. Do you?"

He laughed, or what would pass as laughing for a disembodied undead.

of course i do
    why should i not?
    and now, shall we proceed with our agreement?

This was it, now. The beginning of the end. The end of the beginning.

"Yes. Yes, we shall." What a marvelous thing the voice was. Speech, too. Fragments and indifferent sounds flowing together to somehow provide meaning. Or perhaps there wasn't any meaning, just a shell. A mask.

you will not regret this?

She paused. The present tense would be correct. But there was so much more opening ahead of her. "I...perhaps I may. And perhaps I won't. But there are always regrets in life. The daring move past them.

"Continue."

very well then
    i will need to see your face

"Remember you promise, though." When was the last time she had removed her mask? It didn't matter now. Gingerly she placed her hands on the engraved leather, then pulled it away from her face, the mask dangling in her hands. It was a strange sensation. Nothing between her and the world, and the world was cruel and power-hungry.

He reached out--his hands?-- over her face, and began a dripping, constant hum, pulling at her, pulling at her voice.

They said sounds came from this part of your throat called a voice-box. Perhaps that is where the voice came from, but it was not what the voice was. It was something different, detached and yet together, ethereal and intangible and somehow capable of such great things.

Others would be capable, at any rate. Not her, not anymore.

The hum continued, and she could somehow see it flowing into the air, light wisps glowing with expectation. And then it was over, and he had it all. At first she tried to tell him that he had better complete his part of the deal, and then she remembered she couldn't.

good, good
    such quality
    but now for my end of the bargain
    i suppose you're getting anxious

He began another hum, but this one was different. Higher and softer, like what she imagined the clouds over the mountains would be like. She had always imagined herself like a bird, flying free of death and constraints and danger, over the green and the white and the rocky grey and brown. And singing. But she couldn't do that anymore. Lost, now. For Caelan. But she didn't remember how to cry.

His hands, if they would be called that, began to give off a ghostly light--too dim to brighten the room any more, but enough to illuminate her past and her future. The "now" didn't matter. It was too late, anyway.

He lowered them onto her forehead, the dim brightness seeping through her
    and the world
    was strangely clear
    and black
    and white
    Caelan, for Caelan
    her hands felt strange
    cold
    numb
    the mask dropped to the floor
    and
    she watched it
    as she floated
    far
    far
    away
    and
    the world
    became
    very
    quiet
    and
    s t i l l

it is unsual at first
    but you'll get used to it
    a warning
    do not linger too long
    or you may become
    too similar
    and lose your spark

then
    she was
    back, in the shadowy silent room, watching him fade away. He had left The Book for her, too, as he had promised. She bent over and picked up her mask, then walked over to the center of the room, the old floorboards sighing, and retrieved The Book. It was bound in leather dyed a shade of blue-grey, like the stones holding up some of the houses. A single silver feather was gilt onto the spine.

This is my voice now. It was a curious sensation, longing mixed with the thrill of the new. She thoughtfully turned the cover and revealed the first page.

There was a pen, too, how thoughtful. Somehow it had ink. She took it in hand, and wrote on that first expanse of white

I am Sparrow

and then she smiled and closed it, and moved to the wall, almost touching it. She concentrated, and thrust her hand forward. It went through the wood, slightly shimmering, as if she were not really real. She smiled again. Good. She placed her mask back on her face.

Then Sparrow stepped through through the wall, out into the world beyond, half wondering and half believing.

She was free now.

Like a ghost.

21. - Top - End - #1401

Productivity has been high this week...in certain regards. In regards to writing it hasn't been quite so.

Nevertheless I do have the word count, if piecemeal, and I present 1616 words. Changing things up this week and going to try to post the writing here instead of shunting it towards Google Docs. Largely this is because the formatting of the various texts just won't allow it the same way this week.

To begin, I've been coding this week - just some basic, basic C++ lessons to get myself back in the swing of things. At the head of each of these lessons, I've written things for amusement, and here I've collected them..

If any of you are familiar with a little book called "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, 2nd ed.", you'll note the titles come from the first few chapters. I've included the titles for reference, but am not counting them. Totalled, the rest is 386 words.
    Spoiler
    Show

//Game Over
    //A first C++ program

//Written by someone who really should know better
    //to get back into the swing of coding
    //because procrastination is
    //absolutely terrible
    //and makes things
    //like this
    //happen.
    -------
    //Game Over 2.0
    //Demonstrates using a directive

//To a person who by now should really know
    //both what a directive is
    //and what it does
    //but does not
    //proficiently
    //know.
    -------
    //Game Over 3.0
    //Demonstrates using declaration

//Which let's be perfectly honest
    //of course I won't use them
    //until my programs get
    //large enough that
    //I give a damn
    //versus the
    //directive.
    -------
    //Expensive Calculator
    //Demonstrates built-in arithmetic operators

//And also summarily demonstrates via the title
    //the full extent of what I have ever done
    //in all my off-and-on coding years
    //and what anyone ever purchases
    //when they acquire
    //a goddamn
    //PC.
    -------
    //Game Stats
    //Demonstrates declaring and initializing variables

//I initially considered using incredibly inappropriate variable names
    //but decided against it to be more professional
    //and besides the only thing
    //with 6572.89 tentacles
    //is Cthulhu, who does
    //not do porn of
    //any sort
    //I hope.
    -------
    //Game Stats 2.0
    //Demonstrates arithmetic operations with variables

//I know that I said I intended to be professional in these variable names
    //and I certainly intend to keep my word on that point
    //but you have to admit that the temptation
    //to use one dirty word for a variable
    //just one dirty word for a variable
    //is so incredibly strong
    //that I certainly hope
    //that you appreciate
    //my Herculean force
    //of will.
    -------
    //Game Stats 3.0
    //Demonstrates constants

//The desire to name the variables dirty things has overall largely subsided
    //but I take solace in the knowledge that, should I so choose
    //I have the power to, at any time, fire up the IDE
    //and write an entire program whose variables
    //are nothing but various names
    //of various body parts
    //phallic references
    //sex positions
    //politicians
    //and such.
    -------
    //Lost Fortune
    //A personalized adventure

//Surely given a few minutes' thought, sufficient caffeine, and an inspirational spark,
    //I could write out an entirely different story with additional variables
    //some more customization, perhaps branching paths
    //and a dozen other doodads and trinkets
    //and perhaps I yet shall, but for now
    //I feel I have just enough coffee
    //to write the program as shown
    //and leave the remainder
    //for another, more
    //caffinated day.
    -------
    //Score Rater
    //Demonstrates the if statement

//Because despite the concept of "if something, then something" being an obvious one
    //we get a whole two lessons' worth of coding to explain them
    //and pair them up with "else"
    //so let's get right
    //to it.
    -------
    //Score Rater 2.0
    //Demonstrates the else clause

//I'm beginning to run short of witty opening lines for these programs
    //and as I have some eight chapters and change yet to complete
    //I think that I will do myself a brief favor
    //and keep this introduction short
    //so I may reserve my wit
    //for later lessons
    //where I may have
    //better lines
    //to say.
    (It comes as no small irony, or hypocrisy, that this is one of the longer headers. - Ed.)
    -------
    //Menu Chooser
    //Demonstrates the switch statement

//In hindsight I should point out that a switch statement would have been
    //a vastly superior option for youwilldie, as opposed
    //to its inelegant if/else shenanigans
    //and as such I am at a loss for
    //smug statements, and will
    //shut up and do
    //the lesson.

Next, a bit more about Noah's sword, 168 words. It's appended to an earlier document, but only the appended portion is given here. I've also begun basic modelling of the blade in AutoCAD 360 for reference and may change these dimensions to taste.
    Spoiler
    Show
    After some additional research I'm revising my thoughts on Noah's sword a little. Anything below this line supercedes anything written above.

The actual dimensions aren't quite inches because inches as we understand them were not developed in either the Old or New worlds. However, they're comperable - the tolerance here varies slightly but is at maximum one-fifth of an inch off in either direction and is perfectly fine for the purpose of discussion. Noah's sword is 60 inches long, with a 50 inch blade and a 10 inch handle. It's also a whopping 25 inches wide, which allows its use as a guard but makes the weapon rather unwieldy. The handle is also a minute amount thicker as a result and two-handed wielding is discouraged in favor of hand-and-a-half, using the handle inset into the blade - otherwise the handle could potentially snap from the force of striking something tough enough. The inset handle begins 32 inches from the base of the blade and is itself 6 inches long.

Third we have a high-level document for a basic RPG combat engine, the likes of which nearly anyone has likely seen. I've often played such games but never considered their inner workings and how to craft them; this is my brainstorming on how to do so. It is unsurprisingly neither complete nor elegant, but it is 550 words.
    Spoiler
    Show
    //Basic combat engine high-level
    //A practice C++ program in notes and pseudocode
    //By redfeatherraven

//First thing's first, let's describe the game loop.

//First, combat is initialized, with a Player and an Enemy. The goal is to later

extend the program to accept multiples of each, allowing for a Player Party and an

Enemy Party, but for now it's fine to hard-code one Player and Enemy. These can later

be used as the basis of individual Player and Enemy entities.

//After initialization is the main combat loop.

//The first step in the combat loop is Players choosing their action for the turn.
    //Enemies will then choose their action for the turn according to their AI.

//Once actions are selected, Initiative is calculated and compared.

//Actions are added to a queue stack. The highest Initiative is put into the stack

first, followed by the next highest, and so on until all entities have put their

actions into the stack.

//The stack resolves, FIFO. After each action resolves the stack is checked for

deadEntities - Players or Enemies who may have died as a result of previous actions -

and their actions are removed from the queue before the next action resolves.

//After all the actions resolve the game checks to verify living entities on both

sides. If both sides have combatants the combat loop continues, else it breaks.

//At the break, if Player entities remain then the Player wins; else if Enemy entites

remain the Player loses, else the Player still loses (the final scenario being a

wipeout on both sides).

//-------------Concepts

//Initiative: The relative speed of the entities, in hierarchical order. The faster

the entity, the higher the Initiative, and the sooner their action will be performed

compared to others'.

//Damage: Representative of wounds and such sustained in combat. Most actions deal

damage, represented as a number. It would be unfun to represent this realistically

(Critical Existence Failure is in full effect here). Later versions may include more

realistic damages, such as crippled limbs and what what, but this will not be

represented at first. Later versions may also increase Damage with equipment.

//Health: Representative of how many wounds one can take before succumbing to them.

Succumbing doesn't have to mean death. It usually still does. Health is represented as

a number with a maximum cap. Damage decreases this number. Other skills may increase

it again, but never past the cap. At 0, the entity becomes unable to fight. Further

updates may handle revival; the initial version will not need it.

//Armor: Reprasentative of anything standing between Damage and Health. Expressed

numerically, any incoming damage is reduced by this amount before being applied to

Health. Later, skills may improve Armor temporarily or bypass it entirely. Later

versions may also improve Armor with equipment, similar to Damage above.

//Base Stats: The numbers that determine the calculations for Initiative, Damage,

Health, and Armor. Unsurprisingly this leads to Agility, Strength, Vitality, and

Defense, respectively. All of these skill levels and physical traits are rendered in

cold numerals and factor in to the derived statistics above. Other stats, such as

Intelligence or Luck, may come into play in later versions; in the initial version, it

may be considered that everyone is a fortune-neutral mouth-breathing beatstick

droolbox.

//Entity: A collection of stats that represents a character in the combat.

//Player: An entity under player control.

//Enemy: An entity the player must fight, under AI control.

Lastly is another high-level treatment for a proposed "tall tale generator" which I hope will be more writing exercise than coding. I suspect by the end it'll be a combination of the two. This comprises 515 words.

Regardless of how the project itself turns out I'm rather fond of the poem it leads with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    //Tavernfire Tales from the Raging Bull
    //A game of programming practice

//Where the ales are fine and the lads are bold and the wildest tales unfold
    //Of men that ride through land and brine and swords that clash and chop
    //And those in from the cold may stop and find the hearth sublime
    //And all the stories spun do turn and weave and shine as gold
    //And as they intermix with food and wine and songs of old
    //If any further stretched were what is told
    //It'd be a taffy shop.

//Concept
    //-------

//More than anything a wild tavern tale generator. The goal is to find a method by which these tales might be "mad-libbed" in such fashion as to keep dramatic tension.
    //The tale-tellers should come from a variety of adventuring backgrounds, and have varied temperaments and flairs for the dramatic. This should then be reflected in the way they tell their tales.
    //Obviously to a degree the tales, or parts, will begin to repeat themselves. However, the better the generator, the better the stories.
    //Luckily, the coding is liable to be rather simplistic at first. If I begin to actually map out bits of narrative that sound appropriate with each other, or try to optimize the flow, then perhaps things could get dicier.
    //However, until I do, it is literally a random generator's job spliced with either a switch or functions.
    //While I could come up with tables and such, the simplest method would be to give each character a few temperaments, and then each temperament a handful of things they might say over the course of a story.

//Characters
    //-------

//Characters will be comprised primarily of an occupation, which will determine the kinds of skills they bring to bear, and a temperament, which will influence both the actions they took in their tales and the telling.
    //Secondarily they may have other minor attributes such as general appearance, clothing/armor/weapons in broad strokes, scars, missing eyes/limbs/etc, preferred drinks, that kind of thing.
    //The secondary attributes will likely be glossed over, unless integral to the story ("Have I tol' ye the one about how I lost me eye?"), and merely add character.
    //The storyteller character will be the most important during any given tale, but other characters will naturally be present, and they may interact with the teller (to heckle, for example). This functionality will likely appear down the road.

//Occupation
    //-------

//One of a few of the general fantasy role-player's classes. Warriors, mages, and thieves would be the most prominent, all working-class-esque.
    //The bold and braggart white knight might be at home here, but he better be bragging, and intellectual, age-like mages will probably be right out.
    //The tavern is a seedy-ish place. You might find paladins, clerics, even priests, but they'd be really interesting types.
    //Monks would likely be of the eastern ascetic variety rather than the medieval religious variety.
    //Bards would be right at home but more difficult to develop as their stories would be, essentially, mad-libbed songs - kind of a nightmare for rhythm and meter, that.
    //Some other classes you might find are rangers, scouts, witchhunters, soldiers...essentially anyone who might be willing to drink and tell a tale, and who I might be able to write.

Sadly none of this contributes to the theme, as I couldn't write up any scenes where adventurers told stories of dragons and hecklers claimed them to be imaginings. But it was in my thoughts, at least.

Hopefully next week will be more effectively productive, wish me luck.

22. - Top - End - #1402

I did some stuff with acrylic colours this week. It's fun!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Face practice
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-03-03 at 07:41 AM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Orc in the Playground

Still struggling to produce as much as I would like on a daily basis.

Spoiler
    Show

Couple of sketches for characters for a thing I might do:
    http://fav.me/d78qn43
    http://fav.me/d78qn19
    http://fav.me/d78qmz5

Trollsona (Homestuck fanart)
    http://fav.me/d78qmwn

I just can't nail down this character at ALL:
    http://fav.me/d7828kd
    http://fav.me/d7828d0

Mandala doodling for postcards etc:
    http://fav.me/d7825or

quick portrait in watercolour/pen and ink:
    http://fav.me/d7825ln

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

Statuuuus.

Glass Mouse passes with a comic and 514 words of short story including dream dragons.

Lycunadari passes with five photos of candy, castle and nature, and a castle drawing.

TheWombatOfDoom is on standby (back March 16).

Neoriceisgood passes with two comic pages and 39 new sprites.

redfeatherraven passes with 386 words of programming prose poems, 168 words about a sword, 550 words of game engine brainstorm, and 515 words of tall tale generator.

Grozomah is out for now.

Rysc passes with 1,154 words of short story, a map, and a guy with an imagined dragons.

Moriwen is out for now.

D.KnightSpider uploaded a puppet (and dino) show. Edit: nope, that's 3:34 minutes and 1,700 words of script.

HellFireLover passes with five original character designs, a Homestuck fanart, a portrait and a Mandala doodle.

Iruka passes with five acrylic paintings, and a page of face practice.

Thus, no one FAILS this round! Wooooo!

Glass Mouse, Lycunadari, Neoriceisgood, redfeatherraven, Rysc, D.KnightSpider, HellFireLover, and Iruka PASS this round!

Current standing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glass Mouse
    Current run: 175 weeks
    Themes: 1 week

Lycunadari
    Current run: 61 weeks

TheWombatOfDoom
    Current run: 28 weeks (pending)

Neoriceisgood
    Current run: 23 weeks

redfeatherraven
    Current run: 1 week

Rysc
    Current run: 11 weeks

D.KnightSpider
    Current run: 5 weeks

Iruka
    Current run: 3 weeks

This week's theme, chosen by D.KnightSpider, is Wings of Dreams.

Next week's theme is chosen by Iruka - let me know in PM or this thread, and I'll include it in the next status.

Quote Originally Posted by D.KnightSpider View Post
    How about this for next week's theme? Wings of Dreams
    I like this theme! It ties in nicely with the story I’m working on

Quote Originally Posted by Moriwen View Post
    I think I'm going to be off for the next couple of weeks -- the semester is picking up, and all of my writing time and energy is going to summer program applications. Hoping to return, though (at least for spring break!)
    Good luck on the applications! See you in spring

Quote Originally Posted by redfeatherraven View Post
    If any of you are familiar with a little book called "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, 2nd ed.", you'll note the titles come from the first few chapters. I've included the titles for reference, but am not counting them. Totalled, the rest is 386 words.
    Spoiler
    Show

//Game Over
    //A first C++ program

//Written by someone who really should know better
    //to get back into the swing of coding
    //because procrastination is
    //absolutely terrible
    //and makes things
    //like this
    //happen.
    -------
    //Game Over 2.0
    //Demonstrates using a directive

//To a person who by now should really know
    //both what a directive is
    //and what it does
    //but does not
    //proficiently
    //know.
    -------
    //Game Over 3.0
    //Demonstrates using declaration

//Which let's be perfectly honest
    //of course I won't use them
    //until my programs get
    //large enough that
    //I give a damn
    //versus the
    //directive.
    -------
    //Expensive Calculator
    //Demonstrates built-in arithmetic operators

//And also summarily demonstrates via the title
    //the full extent of what I have ever done
    //in all my off-and-on coding years
    //and what anyone ever purchases
    //when they acquire
    //a goddamn
    //PC.
    -------
    //Game Stats
    //Demonstrates declaring and initializing variables

//I initially considered using incredibly inappropriate variable names
    //but decided against it to be more professional
    //and besides the only thing
    //with 6572.89 tentacles
    //is Cthulhu, who does
    //not do porn of
    //any sort
    //I hope.
    -------
    //Game Stats 2.0
    //Demonstrates arithmetic operations with variables

//I know that I said I intended to be professional in these variable names
    //and I certainly intend to keep my word on that point
    //but you have to admit that the temptation
    //to use one dirty word for a variable
    //just one dirty word for a variable
    //is so incredibly strong
    //that I certainly hope
    //that you appreciate
    //my Herculean force
    //of will.
    -------
    //Game Stats 3.0
    //Demonstrates constants

//The desire to name the variables dirty things has overall largely subsided
    //but I take solace in the knowledge that, should I so choose
    //I have the power to, at any time, fire up the IDE
    //and write an entire program whose variables
    //are nothing but various names
    //of various body parts
    //phallic references
    //sex positions
    //politicians
    //and such.
    -------
    //Lost Fortune
    //A personalized adventure

//Surely given a few minutes' thought, sufficient caffeine, and an inspirational spark,
    //I could write out an entirely different story with additional variables
    //some more customization, perhaps branching paths
    //and a dozen other doodads and trinkets
    //and perhaps I yet shall, but for now
    //I feel I have just enough coffee
    //to write the program as shown
    //and leave the remainder
    //for another, more
    //caffinated day.
    -------
    //Score Rater
    //Demonstrates the if statement

//Because despite the concept of "if something, then something" being an obvious one
    //we get a whole two lessons' worth of coding to explain them
    //and pair them up with "else"
    //so let's get right
    //to it.
    -------
    //Score Rater 2.0
    //Demonstrates the else clause

//I'm beginning to run short of witty opening lines for these programs
    //and as I have some eight chapters and change yet to complete
    //I think that I will do myself a brief favor
    //and keep this introduction short
    //so I may reserve my wit
    //for later lessons
    //where I may have
    //better lines
    //to say.
    (It comes as no small irony, or hypocrisy, that this is one of the longer headers. - Ed.)
    -------
    //Menu Chooser
    //Demonstrates the switch statement

//In hindsight I should point out that a switch statement would have been
    //a vastly superior option for youwilldie, as opposed
    //to its inelegant if/else shenanigans
    //and as such I am at a loss for
    //smug statements, and will
    //shut up and do
    //the lesson.
    This is surprisingly neat. I like! Of course I’m following a programming course myself, so I’m pretty biased…
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2014-03-03 at 05:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's not pretty and its not edited, but its here. Word Count: 1560

Spoiler: Theme Piece: Wings of Dreams
    Show
    “Those wise guys used to say: 'If a man was meant to fly, he'd have been born with wings.' It was a pithy saying-- the kind used to squash the hopes and dreams of entrepreneurs and innovators. Fortunately, a few innovators refused to be intimidated. They took that pithy saying and turned it on its head. They said: 'If a man was meant to fly... then he'll make his own darn wings.'

“Those wise guys responded by saying: 'Man may be able to fly, but he'll never truly be free. The stars will forever be beyond him.' Once again, those innovators said: 'Just watch us.'

“And you know what? I'm so glad they did.”

This hand feathered the throttle. His ship responded with all of the delicacy as befitting such a proud and noble lady. The craft sped forward: gracefully picking up speed as a woman would gather her skirts and leaping away from terra firma like a dancer upon the stage. The ground fell away as the spacecraft sped skyward. It punctured the blue sky like a needle through cloth and broke into the empty void of space in short order.

He twisted the yoke and put the ship into a slow, rotating spin while maintaining his proper heading. It was a pointless maneuver from a navigation standpoint. He just liked the effect that it had on the world around him. The stars now drifted past the viewports in lazy arcs. The sight was almost romantic.

“So... Are you done with your rambling musings?” A new voice, feminine; flush with mock disapproval, came across his earpiece.

“I don't know. What's my word count? I've got a quota to make.”

“A quota? Wait. Don't tell me, Jace. I've got it. You negotiated a new contract. They're paying you by the word instead the mile. Am I right?”

“I only wish, Dana...” Jace muttered.

“Since that's the case, how about you stop composing the Great American Novel and do what you're getting paid to do: fly that garbage scow across the universe.”

“Message received loud and clear. I'm clearing the channel now.”

With a sigh, Jace stretched out a hand and closed the radio transceiver. Well, calling it a 'radio' would be doing the machine a disservice. Real radio waves would never work for such instantaneous communication over such long distances. Now they used some kind of something or other that Jace had never been able to fully comprehend. All he knew was that it worked and everyone just called it a 'radio' because of some ancient and barely relevant time honored tradition.

Hmm... Maybe that would be something worth investigating. Usually those ancient and barely relevant traditions had a decent story to tell. Maybe this story would be the one to break him into the writer's market. Or not. That was the way that it usually went.

He found the irony just a bit amusing. For years people had written stories dreaming about traveling across the galaxy on the wings of a space ship. Now, here he was traveling across the universe on the wings of a space ship dreaming about writing stories.

Then again, his own predicament was somewhat less that romantic. He wasn't some brave adventurer hopping from planet to planet enjoying fortune and fame. He was but a humble hired hand piloting a garbage scow across the universe.

Oh well. It gave him plenty of time to think.

Jace flicked a switch, bringing the autopilot on-line. The flight plan was already laid; now the computers could crunch the numbers and do most of the work. He was simply here on the off-chance that something went wrong with the ship's delicate instruments, which hadn't happened to him yet and probably wouldn't this time. He'd been pretty thorough with his pre-flight check.

That was fine by him. It meant that he had more time to write.

Or so he thought. It was a bit hard to write when you were sitting in darkness. That was problematic. Especially because he wasn't supposed to be sitting in darkness. He groaned. So much for being careful with his pre-flight check. Something had just happened to cut the power. The fact that the emergency generator kicked on and bathed the place in red light informed him that he had puzzled out the situation correctly.

So much for any downtime. It was time to earn his paycheck. Jake undid his seat harness and immediately felt himself drift towards the ceiling. That... wasn't good. The electrical shortage extended even to the artificial gravity generators.

He wormed his way over the seat and pushed off of the console in order to float towards the back wall. There, he retrieved the emergency life support gear and affixed it to his uniform. It looked like the life support systems were still online; but he preferred to play it safe. If this was a progressive failure, then he wanted to be prepared for the worst.

A stray thought struck him as he drifted down the corridor towards the main electrical relays. What was it that the wise guys used to say about men flying? It turned out that they were wrong on multiple counts. Man could fly. He just had to be stranded in space with no artificial gravity. It was a dangerous way to experience the joys of flight. But, hey, it still meant that those wise guys were wrong.

He reached the proper compartment. It was nothing more than a thick metal panel with a recessed handle. A short distance opposite the handle was a metal protrusion that extended a few inches from the wall. He put the protrusion to work by bracing his foot against it. It was a toehold so that in cases like this, he could still get the compartment open in zero gravity. A quick heave forced open the compartment.

A mass of blinking diodes and LED lights greeted him. A sigh of relief escaped him. The entire electrical system wasn't inoperable. It was merely a few crucial subsystems that had gone offline. Jace studied the read-out with a trained eye. If he could just pinpoint the source of the problem, then it should be an easy fix.

Too bad it -was- such an easy fix. If it were a more difficult repair then he might be able to wring some drama out of it and turn the experience into a really good story. As things stood, however, this was probably going to be more of a yawner than a nail-biter. But, hey, not every story could be rip-roaring exciting, could it? If it weren't for the tame ones, then people wouldn't appreciate the exciting ones.

Ah. That was the issue. There was a defective converter near the engine bay. Huh. That was funny. Hadn't he checked that one prior to lift-off? He must have missed something. Jace closed the compartment and then started drifting down through the corridors. It was fun, actually. Were he any younger, then he might have imagined himself to be some kind of stylized super-hero that could leap tall buildings in a single bound. He was far too old for that sort of thing... mostly.

Here we were: the rear compartment. Now came the tricky part. Jace grimaced as he retrieved a glow-stick from his tool belt. He would have to go through the maintenance access shaft in order to reach the defective relay. It was bad enough going through those tunnels when the lights were working. To go through them when the power was off and he was trapped in blackness? Nasty.

It was either that or drift around in space aimlessly. Jace forced the access hatch open and dove into the maintenance tunnel. He held his glow-stick aloft before his face-- using its bright illumination to avoid the mass of electrical boxes and computer access ports that stuck out from the walls at crazy angles and locations. He could imagine the headlines now: Space Mechanic Dies after Cracking Head and Getting Concussion. He'd do his best to keep that one out of the papers.

In the end, it was almost entirely too easy. The burnt-out relay was swiftly found and Jace was able to by-pass the short with minimal difficulty. The only bump in the road came quite literally: when the artificial gravity came online suddenly and slapped him into the ground like a dead fish. Jace's jaw smacked into a junction box rather hard. The impact left him seeing stars of the sort not seen through the usual viewports.

But it wasn't a concussion so he should be alright.

A little bit of backtracking brought him back to the main corridor. He stood upright and stretched the tension out of his muscles. A quick glance around told him that everything was up and running once again.

He smiled. His little ship, The Wings of Dreams, was back among the living. It had been dead for a while, but a little elbow grease had given it another life. Sure, he was busy piloting a garbage scow today. But with a little work and some effort, maybe someday his own dreams would carry him to greater heights.

After all, hadn't some wise guy once said that if man were meant to fly, he'd have been born with wings?

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Orc in the Playground

Checkin' in for another week. Still managing to create, despite an increased workload and burgeoning addiction to Dexter on Netflix.

Individual spoilers this week, woo.

Spoiler: Sketchbook music quickies - inspired by a song and created within that song's play time
    Show
    Rough ideas in biro in a (pretty ruined tbh) sketchbook, inspired by songs on my playlist, all conceptualized and created within the relevant song's duration (which is why they're a bit rubbish )

Sketch page 1
    Sketch page 2

Spoiler: Aquarius
    Show

Spoiler: Sewing Bea Character Sketch- Coloured
    Show

Spoiler: Mental health is important!
    Show

Spoiler: Content Warning for Mild Nudity - NSFW - Alternative Mermaid
    Show

Spoiler: Vixen at Teatime - quick sketch, roughly 30 mins inc editing
    Show
    Last edited by HellfireLover; 2014-03-10 at 08:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Sounds like an interesting challenge! Count me in.

28. - Top - End - #1408

Dropping this here before I slink off for two hours sleep before my new job. Or not. May pull an all-nighter, haven't decided.

Today we've got a few header snarks, the sequel to last week's. You'd think they'd get better as I go along, but no, they seem to be worsening. It's at any rate 395 words, not including the program names and descriptions.

Spoiler
    Show
    //Play Again
    //Demonstrates a while loop

//This entire exercise has in fact been my effort to play again
    //in terms of the first few chapter's worth of lessons
    //and with any luck I will proceed afterwards
    //and this time next year I will not be
    //sitting here at the beginning of
    //my programs, writing snark
    //that may be thought of
    //as largely raging for
    //indeterminate reason
    //against an activity
    //which is by all
    //definitions
    //beneficial.

-------

//Play Again 2.0
    //Demonstrates do loops

//While I personally preferred while loops in the past
    //it would at least behoove me to understand these
    //and so I'll, again, shut up and do the lesson.
    //That said it's not out of the question
    //to tweak this slightly -
    //after all, I've done
    //it once already
    //and it went
    //rather well
    //I think.

-------

//Finicky Counter
    //Demonstrates break and continue statements

//Hey look, it's an infinite while loop used for a main game loop.
    //That brings back some old-school memories of youwilldie
    //not all of which are good in hindsight
    //but who knows? Maybe the years have
    //been kind to my personal growth
    //and my skill is such that it
    //may yet live again.
    //I suppose that
    //we'll see.

-------

//Designer's Network
    //Demonstrates logical operators

//Also of course I'm going to give my own name its own username and password
    //and its own personalized little message, because let's be honest
    //given the opportunity to do so, which here, I am
    //and given the logical end result
    //of these coding exercises
    //I'd be imbecillic
    //not to do so.

-------

//Die Roller
    //Demonstrates generating random numbers

//Probably not the be-all-end-all of random number generators to be sure
    //but if I intend to craft a pseudo-random number generator of my own,
    //surely starting with the timestamp when an item was generated,
    //and running through several additional steps to correct
    //for duplicate time seeds, should be modestly effective
    //and perhaps even worth including in redlib.h
    //which, lets be honest, in its present state
    //could really use some additional functions
    //to spice the damn thing up
    //because who wants a lib
    //that only has a damn
    //pause function?
    //Regardless, a
    //good entry
    //point.

-------

//Guess My Number
    //The classic number guessing game

//Finally, we're making an actual, factual game, crappy though it be.
    //And since I've got my redlib.h handling the heavy lifting,
    //I should even be able to code it relatively fast
    //which is good because in thirty minutes
    //there's somewhere I really must be
    //and I could quite use some time
    //to prepare for that
    //so let's get
    //to business.

[I was late. -Ed.]

-------

//Counter
    //Demonstrates for loops

//To be frank, I have nothing particularly snarky to say
    //I am told this program creates a grid of numbers
    //through nothing but for loop usage
    //and simple coding, and I
    //would like to see this
    //in action, so on
    //to business.

-------

//String Tester
    //Demonstrates string objects

//Previously I noted that I was running shy of snarky things to say in my openings
    //This is largely true right now
    //and so I won't.
    //Nyeah nyeah.

-------

//Hero's Inventory
    //Demonstrates arrays

//Here we go again, getting less crappy
    //one lesson
    //at a time.

Next, we have a subtext to the previous Antagonist document, detailing a few of the suit's more noteworthy villainous features in 722 words of lightly justifiable costume porn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and spikes. Did we mention the spikes? Spikes everywhere.

In all seriousness there are a few costume considerations for the Antagonist above and beyond the subtle shifting, and even above the spikes. Most of them are traditional villain tropes, but for a very good reason - just at a glance, you know the Antagonist is bad news, so when Tobias says that he'll fight the terror off, he gains instant hero points.

Let's get out of the way first, yes, there are spikes. There are spikes every damn where. Larger, curved ones on the shoulderpads, straighter ones at the joints and the toes, plenty on the helm to give it some teeth, and various shapes and sizes all over the limbs. That last set serves a vaguely practical purpose; merely crashing the back of an arm against someone is liable to rake them full of wounds. Spiked knuckles are also part of the package for a similar purpose, as are spikes on the underside of the boots (slightly more understated; also effective at keeping footing in unstable terrain, to an extent). Even the ornamental ones are fairly sturdy; it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility for the Antagonist to lift someone and impale them on his shoulders, though obviously it's not the kind of thing you'd like to do often (thankfully once is usually sufficient to get the message across). The spikes do not shift like the rest of the suit.

The helm is an interesting case. Obviously modelled slightly after the skull of some creature that isn't quite human, the helm covers the head down past the nose and out a fair distance from the face, but is uncovered at the jaw, which allows for the mouth to remain just recessed and just visible. This allows for several things. From Tobias' view, it allows the (presumed) humanity of whoever the Antagonist is to starkly contrast with his inhuman actions, inspiring the requisite revulsion. As Noah takes up the mantle, it serves as both a subtle taunt on Tobias' part, and a subtle reminder on the player's, of the human in the suit. To complete the effect, the Antagonist must show no emotion through his mouth - merely a flat, stoic expression. Noah is forced to take this visage on; strangely, Tobias is less effective at it and shows some minor revulsion from time to time, though any who could see it are quickly slain.

There is also a cape, because of course there is. It's quite long and flowing and makes for a hell of a presence. It's also incredibly impractical in a real fight; as such it can be quickly released from the rest of the suit with a latch. However, owing to the significant discrepancy in power between the Antagonist and many of his victims, and the vast army at his heel besides, there's often no need for anything that could be considered a "real fight" in the first place. When most fights end in one stroke as the Antagonist casually cleaves another average villager in two, the showmanship of the cape's presence is preferred. It's not quite a black color, however - it's actually a very, very deep red, so much so as to nearly be black, in order to invoke the bloody implications that would go along with such a color. Over time the implications become more and more justified as actual blood gets into the cloth, giving it a subtle splattered pattern.

Imagine watching an oil slick as you walk past it, then imagine the colors washed away by black, and finally imagine it doing this slightly, subtly, all the time. That is how the Antagonist do. Included in the effect are other horrors, like intentionally invoking pareidoila in the shifting patterns - while largely randomized they tend towards forming faces trapped in a sort of screaming agony, which then are quickly shifted away to something else, giving the impression of captured and tortured souls within the suit itself. This is nonsense - even if souls did make an effective power source, it'd hardly be worth it for all the struggling they'd do. However, it would be difficult for any foe the Antagonist comes across to not think of their own life when pitted against all the lives of those who tried and failed before them.

Lastly we have a more traditional whole document discussing a hopefully implement-able mechanic, in 957 words. It involves pheromones. No, not those kinds. Well, not for that purpose, anyway.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0f...it?usp=sharing

Sadly no pieces along the theme, although I'll remember to try and implement some big, heroic wings in another character design.
    Last edited by redfeatherraven; 2014-03-10 at 04:27 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1409

Since spring came early, I spent some time outside and took some photos (and also did some writing, but didn't finish anything)

Springtime
    Spoiler
    Show

Sunset
    Spoiler
    Show

Did a bit of stuff done with Gimp. I should take a more structured approach to this. The results are fun but I barely remember how I got them.
    Spoiler
    Show

A curious cat I met
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Iruka; 2014-03-11 at 05:44 AM.

~Augustus von Fabelrath~

30. - Top - End - #1410

*sneaks in*

Well, technically I had everything done yesterday, but when I tried get on to the forums to post my entry, I kept getting a "server unavailable" message. And I wasn't able to access the internet for the rest of the day because of traveling to places.

...so here's (hopefully) this week's pieces.

Spoiler: 882 words (not including headings) of character profile/ info/ mechanics
    Show
    The Whisper-Thief

“Name(s)”: Sheridan “Sparrow” Enfield/ Kalliope Lethe/ Grey Fox/ Ortrun Amsel/ Catbird
    She goes mainly by Sparrow, but will give out various names to those who hire her. Her real name may or may not be on this list.

Age: Looks to be in her early twenties. Sparrow herself isn’t quite sure. It's been so long since she met that ghost...

Appearance: Beyond the fact that she’s slightly taller than average, it’s generally quite hard to tell anything about Sparrow’s appearance—or gender, for that matter—as she is usually wearing full-faced masks, some kind of hood, a long black coat, and gloves. Strangely enough, though, she has silvery white hair, which is another reason for her to keep it covered. Can’t stick out too much, you see.
    “Default” Mask: A silver and gold full-face mask with white wings surrounding the eye-holes and reaching out to the sides of the head.
    “Working” Mask: A mask of a grey fox with "feathery" sides and ears for when she’s, say, stealing records from some guy’s house.
    She also possesses several “average” masks that are simple and featureless with just holes for the eyes.

Background: While the deceptively festive streets of Morte are far from silent, there are some who live in silence. Sparrow is one of these. Said to have had her voice stolen by a ghost as a young girl—though it’s also rumored that she had actually traded it away for something—she haunts the streets and bridges of Morte surrounded by the voices of others, always listening, gleaning information from what she hears. There is always an interested buyer, after all. And in the event that she somehow missed knowing about something, there are always other ways to find out…

She may or may not also have a sibling. She’s not telling, though.

Personality: Sparrow has very much a mercenary mentality. Everything has a price. Sometimes the price is worth it…and sometimes it’s not. If there’s nothing in it for her, chances are she won’t stay long. While she won’t hesitate to attack if there’s no other way out, she tends to try to avoid harming others on her little exploits —not because of conscience, but because her “visits” will be that much more obvious. Her inability to speak has also not prevented her from gaining quite a sardonic attitude.

HP: 50

Modifiers:
    No Secrets Safe: +3 on gathering information via eavesdropping, or on listening for noises in general
    Like a Ghost: +2 on stealth in dark or obscured areas
    Voiceless: -4 on persuading others who don’t know her, or -5 on tasks that rely mainly on vocalizing. Having no voice can do this you.

Special ability:
    A Deal with a Ghost: For short periods of time, Sparrow can become ethereal and pass through solid substances as if she were a ghost. These substances cannot exceed a length of twenty-five feet. In addition, Sparrow takes 1 hit point of damage for every foot she traverses beyond the first five. She may take any clothing she is currently wearing and up to five small items with her.

In combat, if Sparrow turns ethereal, normal weapons deal half as much damage as they would normally (round down if necessary), but silvered or sufficiently enchanted weapons deal twice as much damage. Magic and spells affect her as normal, unless the spells are specifically potent against the undead. She can turn ethereal once per minute, and the effect lasts one round (5 seconds or so).

Sparrow also does not need to sleep, but does need to (occasionally) eat and drink.

Equipment:
    Silvered Stiletto: 1d2, no ammunition
    Mostly used for stabbing and making… nasty but mostly unapparent wounds. If a 10-12 (or over) is rolled, add +2 damage in addition to the normally added die. Being a silver(ed) weapon, it also grants +1 damage against the undead.

The thin blade is also quite useful for lockpicking, and grants a +1 bonus to any such attempts.

Coat of Shadows: +1 on stealth/hiding/avoiding attacks in dim, dark, or otherwise vision-obscuring areas; -1 to damage (Magical)

The Book: A rather non-descript looking book bound in leather, with the exception of a small silver gilded feather on the spine, that has a much less common ability. The owner can use it to selectively obscure anything written in it by glamouring the writing to make it appear as some sort of ancient code (or nothing at all). It also doesn’t seem to run out of pages…

There is a 25% chance that The Book may contain previously written information on any one person, granted that it was possible for Sparrow to have heard about or encountered the person. The amount of information is determined by a 2d6 roll.
    1-4: The person is just mentioned, by “name” or otherwise, or a trivial fact about the person. ("His favorite color is blue.")
    5-9: One or two minor facts about the person. ("He owns several boats.")
    10-12: Major fact or several minor facts about the person ("He is in league with person X")

Sparrow currently uses it as her “voice” by writing what she wants to say, and by default she obscures the writing to all except the person to whom she is currently “talking.”

Spoiler: 317 words of an RP post
    Show
    Hinoiri

Listening to that witness as she walks--slowly enough to hear as much as possible, but not too look to suspicious, Hinoiri again hears mentions of cats. Or in this case, something that sounded like a cat, singular.

A...cat. That is even stranger. She looks at Kumori walking besides her. "You would have gotten away, wouldn't you? Or wouldn't any cat have?"

Butterflies and cats. Was everything connected to this "new" zodiac today? Somehow it wouldn't have surprised her if that had been a real cat. Or...maybe...a Cat. But--that didn't make any sense. Keep walking, don't go off into pointless theories.

And then she hears the next discussion. Why...? Poor child. Why would someone want to kill a 9-year old? Actually, what would a 9-year old be doing here?

Well. I guess it's perfectly reasonable for others to be wondering the same thing about me.

She looks up at him, clutching her notebooks a bit nervously to her chest with her free arm. Now I feel even shorter than normal.

"Sorry, sir, I...I had wanted to visit the temple, because of all the findings, and news, and...stuff...but then when I got here, there was...well..."

Blood, so much blood, everywhere. Father... Her voice falters, though not really because she's concerned with appearing real. She swallows.

"Um, and then I wasn't really sure what...what to do...so I was going to walk around a bit, and then get dinner and head home. I'll do so now. Sorry if I'm inconveniencing you, sir."

"And...I'm sorry for those people."
    Shifting her gaze, she stares sadly into space in the general direction of the temple.

"Um, but that won't change anything," she adds hastily after a few moments. "I'll go. Sorry."

She turns to her cat.

"Come on, Kumori, let's go get something to eat."

All right, please just let me go in peace.

Spoiler: 260 words (bleh) of more character background/ description
    Show
    Eilis Rinn, A Dangerously Curious Mostly Human Freelance Archeoastronomer

As weather-beaten as any other sky-sailor, Eilis stands tall and alert, her blue eyes always looking to the horizons--not just the one ahead, but also behind--and the stars. She's also realized that the whole "hair whipping dramatically in the wind" thing is actually not as convenient as it looks, and tends to keep her dark brown hair in a braid.

Eilis had always looked skywards--and backwards. Even as a very young child, born in the desolate wastelands of the Surface, she found time to satiate her love of old things: myths, ancient devices, ruins. But even more so was her love of the sky and the stars, and these two loves soon lead her to the ruins of the civilizations from before the Great War and from even more distant eras. Now constantly roving, she'll take almost any opportunity given her to be able to study and delve deeper into these bygone civilizations and how they viewed the skies, and has often hired herself out as a navigator on various airship expeditions to said ruins.

Though she looks mostly like a human, Eilis is pretty sure that she's not completely human. For one thing, most humans can't levitate without external magical means. After several months of research, which involved trekking to several ancient and mostly-gone libraries and the wasting of several perfectly good pairs of boots, she's found that her family was rumored to have had one (or several) ancestors who claimed to be children of the skies. Whatever that meant.

Spoiler: On the Wings of Dreams (a poem based on the Japanese renga, but not collaborative)
    Show

the lights have gone out
    the shadows reach wavering
    hands to the ashes

once I was able to sing
    for I flew on the wings of dreams

the last embers fade
    away into the inky
    blackness of the night

once I was able to hope
    for I flew on the wings of dreams

in the still darkness