New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Build-A-Baddie Workshop

I think Falconer really hit something here... We haven't really thought about the world's perspective and I believe that is one of the top feature of an antagonist. The conflict of views he suggested is pretty briliant and I think its one of the best things to add to our Bugbard!

But I digress, I think we should recap and make some final decesions and finishing touchs... Any ideas on how to organize this? (if you agree that is)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK, here's my take: Draug, the magic-blooded bugbear, along with the crunch for using him at a number of levels, mainly because I like building characters and I like the idea of this Build-A-Baddie Workshop. He's not entirely complete (a few missing feats, mainly), but I think it's got enough to use it. He's gestalt (because I like using gestalt for BBEGs to offset NPC wealth by level vs PC wealth by level) and uses the elite array. It incorporates several things from this thread: he's diplomatic, has a soft spot for kids, and has what could be considered a deformity, though it's more of a difference than a true deformity. Feel free to disregard or suggest changes, but I made it, so I thought I'd post it.

Back story
    Spoiler
    Show
    I found myself thinking of this guy as a mix of Hitman with a Heart of Gold and Satisfied Street Rat, though that may just be me. Still a little vague on the overall backstory, but he probably grew up in and out of an orphanage, spending his time out of the orphanage learning to defend himself and get by on his wits; also learning that, for better or worse, the only ones making any money were the ones breaking the law. He started out as a lookout and occasional enforcer and eventually moved into dealing. The people running the orphanage disapproved of his activities, but would still take him in, occasionally hiding him from trouble, in exchange for his promise that he would not recruit any of their other kids. He agreed and, as he saw the other children move on to somewhat successful, and also legal, careers, he expanded this protection to the other children in what became his turf. He'll sell to anyone over the age of majority, but any child he finds using drugs, whether his or another dealer's, gets a stern talking to the first time and a bad scare the second; any dealer selling to children in his turf gets the scare and a beating for a first infraction and gets deposited at the edge of town with a few broken limbs for a second. That said, he does take care of a few organizations, including the orphanage, perhaps to ease his conscience or because he feels like he owes them, and a large number of others because they pay him protection. That said, he will also deal harshly with anyone who threatens his business, whether they be local law enforcement, rivals, or wandering "heroes." Some of the first group, either genuinely or for fear of reprisal, consider that he is perhaps the lesser of possible evils if a drug trade is inevitable.

Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Slightly paler than the average bugbear, with dark red hair, with that on top of his head usually pulled back into a ponytail, that on his face regularly shaved off, and that on the rest of his body tending to remain short. His eyes are the inverse of the standard bugbear eyes; red with white pupils instead of the other way around. Wears relatively light armor which is easily hidden or embedded in his clothing and walks with an ornate cane, though purely as decoration/weaponry.

Crunch
    Spoiler
    Show
    Primarily a Hexblade*//Bard, the former for striking fear into and debuffing enemies and the latter for buffing his allies, and has levels of crusader and swordsage mixed in for greater combat prowess. His main weapons are his fists and his cane, which either forms its tip into a point or hides a sword within and is represented by a few different weapons at different levels. At the lowest levels, he interchanges a sap and a rapier; at higher levels, he uses a Merciful rapier. A few things are Rule of Cool'ed**, but nothing too powerful, I don't think. He's got a few spells, though not enough for that to be his main means of offense or defense, so his main contributions will be the Inspire line of bardic musics to aid his allies, the Hexblade's Curse and Dark Companion as well as the Doomspeak feat to cripple his enemies, and a wide array of low to mid level martial manuevers.

*Using a few of the recommended changes from the original creator of the class listed here
    ** Uses the Ascetic Mage feat to stack Unarmed Swordsage and Bard for unarmed strike damage and add Cha to AC in light armor instead of Wis. Merciful rapier does bludgeoning damage when dealing nonlethal, piercing when lethal, to better portray it as a cane. He's going to be a lawful bard, though just barely.

Draug at ECL 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Magic-Blooded Bugbear; Medium Humanoid (Goblinoid)
    {table]Hit Dice| d6+3d8+12 (32 hp)
    Initiative| +3
    Speed| 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class| 18 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +2 leather armor), touch 13, flat-footed 15
    Attack| Sap +6 melee (1d6+3) or rapier +6 (1d6+3)
    Special Qualities| Low light vistion 60 ft., scent
    Saves| Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +3
    Abilities| Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Skills| Balance +10, Diplomacy +9, Gather Information +5, Jump +10, Move Silently +9, Perform(oratory) +9, Sense Motive +5, Tumble +10
    Feats| Doomspeak, TBD
    Class Levels| LA/HD 3//Bard 4
    Class Features| Bardic Knack (2 ranks), Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1, Inspire Competence
    Spells|Lvl 0 (3/day) - Light, Lullaby, Message, Resistance
    Spells|Lvl 1 (3/day) - Charm Person, Cause Fear, Expeditious Retreat
    Spells|Lvl 2 (1/day) - Eagle's Spleandor, Tongues
    [/table]

Draug at ECL 8
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]Hit Dice| d6+3d8+4d10+24 (66 hp)
    Initiative| +3
    Armor Class| 21 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +4 mithril chain shirt +1 deflect), touch 14, flat-footed 18
    Attack| Masterwork Sap +12/+7 melee (1d6+4) or rapier +12/+7 (1d6+4)
    Special Qualities|Low light vistion 60 ft., scent, mettle
    Saves| Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +8; +3 against spells and spell-like abilities
    Abilities| Str 16+2, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Skills| Balance +10, Bluff +8, Concentration +9, Diplomacy +9, Gather Information +5, Intimidate +10, Jump +11, Move Silently +9, Perform(oratory) +9, Sense Motive +5, Tumble +10
    Feats| Doomspeak, TBD, Song of the White Raven
    Class Levels| LA/HD 3/Hexblade 4//Bard 6/Crusader 2
    Class Features| Bardic Knack (3 ranks), Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +2, Inspire Competence, Suggestion, Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5, Indomitable Soul, Hexblade's Curse 4/day, Dark Companion
    Spells|Lvl 1 (4/day) - Charm Person, Cause Fear, Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat
    Spells|Lvl 1 (1/day) Disguise Self, Undetectable Alignment
    Spells|Lvl 2 (3/day) - Eagle's Splendor, Heroism, Tongues
    Maneuvers| Charging Minotaur, Crusader's Strike, Foehammer, Stone Vise, Tactical Strike
    Stances| Bolstering Voice, Tactics of the Wolf
    [/table]

Draug at ECL 11
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]Hit Dice| d6+3d8+7d10+33 (91 hp)
    Initiative| +3
    Armor Class| 26 (+3 Dex, +4 Cha, +3 natural, +5 +1 mithril chain shirt, +1 deflect), touch 18, flat-footed 19
    Attack| +1 Merciful Rapier +16/+11 melee (2d6+4) or unarmed strike +15/+10 (1d10+4)
    Saves| Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +10; +4 against spells and spell-like abilities
    Abilities| Str 16+2, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16+2
    Skills| Balance +10, Bluff +12, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +12, Gather Information +6, Intimidate +12, Jump +10, Move Silently +9, Perform(oratory) +10, Sense Motive +8, Tumble +10
    Feats| Doomspeak, TBD, Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus(Diamond Mind weapons), Ascetic Mage, TBD
    Class Levels| LA/HD 3/Hexblade 4/Swordsage 3//Bard 8/Crusader 3
    Class Features| Bardic Knack (4 ranks), Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +2, Inspire Competence, Suggestion, Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 5, Indomitable Soul, Hexblade's Curse 4/day, Dark Companion, AC Bonus, Zealous Surge
    Spells|Lvl 1 (4/day) - Charm Person, Cause Fear, Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat
    Spells|Lvl 1 (1/day) Disguise Self, Undetectable Alignment
    Spells|Lvl 2 (4/day) - Detect Thoughts, Eagle's Splendor, Heroism, Tongues
    Spells|Lvl 3 (2/day) - Fear, Glibness, Haste
    Maneuvers| Charging Minotaur, Crusader's Strike, Foehammer, Stone Vise, Tactical Strike, Revitalizing Strike
    Maneuvers| Bounding Assault, Burning Brand, Claw at the Moon, Clever Positioning, Cloak of Deception, Death Mark, Moment of Perfect Mind, Sudden Leap
    Stances| Island of Blades, Dance of the Spider
    [/table]

Draug at ECL 14
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]Hit Dice| d6+3d8+10d10+56 (131 hp)
    Initiative| +3
    Armor Class| 29 (+4 Dex, +5 Cha, +3 natural, +6 +2 mithril chain shirt, +1 deflect), touch 20, flat-footed 20
    Attack| +1 Merciful Rapier +19/+14/+9 melee (2d6+4) or unarmed strike +18/+13/+8 (2d6+4)
    Saves| Fort +12, Ref +13, Will +13; +5 against spells and spell-like abilities
    Abilities| Str 16+2, Dex 16+2, Con 16+2, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16+4
    Skills| Balance +11, Bluff +16, Concentration +16, Diplomacy +16, Gather Information +7, Intimidate +16, Jump +10, Move Silently +10, Perform(oratory) +13, Sense Motive +12, Tumble +11
    Feats| Doomspeak, TBD, Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus(Diamond Mind weapons), Ascetic Mage, TBD, Song of the White Raven, Combat Casting
    Class Levels| LA/HD 3/Hexblade 6/Swordsage 4//Bard 10/Crusader 4
    Class Features| Bardic Knack (5 ranks), Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +3, Inspire Competence, Suggestion, Inspire Greatness, Furious Counterstrike, Steely Resolve 10, Indomitable Soul, Hexblade's Curse 5/day, Dark Companion, AC Bonus, Zealous Surge
    Spells|Lvl 1 (5/day) - Charm Person, Cause Fear, Cure Light Wounds, Expeditious Retreat
    Spells|Lvl 1 (3/day) Alarm, Disguise Self, Prestidigitation, Undetectable Alignment
    Spells|Lvl 2 (4/day) - Detect Thoughts, Eagle's Splendor, Heroism, Tongues
    Spells|Lvl 3 (3/day) - Cure Serious Wounds, Fear, Glibness, Haste
    Spells|Lvl 4 (1/day) - Dominate Person, Zone of Silence
    Maneuvers| Charging Minotaur, Crusader's Strike, Flanking Maneuver, Foehammer, Stone Vise, Tactical Strike, Revitalizing Strike
    Maneuvers| Bounding Assault, Burning Brand, Clever Positioning, Cloak of Deception, Dancing Mongoose, Death Mark, Moment of Perfect Mind, Shadow Stride, Sudden Leap
    Stances| Island of Blades, Dance of the Spider
    [/table]

Required Sources
    SRD
    This Link - Doomspeak
    Tome of Battle - Swordsage, Crusader, Song of the White Raven, maneuvers, stances
    Complete Warrior - Hexblade
    Complete Adventurer - Ascetic Mage (though I tweaked it to be bard/swordsage instead of monk/sorcerer)
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2010-12-18 at 07:57 AM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

3. - Top - End - #33

Why should darth bugbard have a deformed voice? I sort of like the idea of a hieously scarred bugbear with a soft, soothing voice. I think that it would be all the more creepy, especialy if he recites poetry in the middle of battles.

4. - Top - End - #34

Thumbs up Re: Build-A-Baddie Workshop

Wow... First of all playswithfire thanks for that awesome contribution

secondly, I think the deformity is quite crucial to his charecter because it emphasizes the contrast between his brutality and his soft spot for kids so if you feel like adding to\ tweaking what you have already done that would awesome and if not that's ok too.

In addition, I dont think that you made him vicious enough about people who hurt kids, one of the main parts of his personality is that he is their protector from all harm and I think that a criminal of his magnitude isnt the kind of person to settle for a beating or a few broken limbs, remeber that he is the subordinate of the city's kingpin which means he can pretty much off whoever he wants to

5. - Top - End - #35

NecromancerGuy

That looks really good, and I only have two (rather small) nitpicks.

The first is that I agree with Nopraptor in that I don't think he is quite hard enough on violators of his creed as is. Someone who peddles to children or harms them should be dealt with severely. They are beat to within an inch of their life, but never killed unless it is an especially heinous offense, because even the most powerful drug lord in town can't afford to always make enemies, and Draug knows this.

A second offender, however, is killed in a gruesome fashion, their mangled corpse left as a sign of their crimes. There is a great scene in one of the early Spawn comics by Todd McFarlane [linked here] where a particular revolting criminal lures little boys and girls to his ice cream truck, then sexually assaults and slaughters them. Spawn strings him up by chains with the note in aforementioned picture. This is, in maybe a slightly more graphic manner, how I picture Draug dealing with offenders.

The second nitpick is that while I like the added power boost from him being gestalt, do you all think we should include a non-gestalt version as well, in the interest of maximizing adaptability to different campaigns? Or should we just leave that to the individual DM?

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Arathnos View Post
    That looks really good, and I only have two (rather small) nitpicks.

The first is that I agree with Nopraptor in that I don't think he is quite hard enough on violators of his creed as is. Someone who peddles to children or harms them should be dealt with severely. They are beat to within an inch of their life, but never killed unless it is an especially heinous offense, because even the most powerful drug lord in town can't afford to always make enemies, and Draug knows this.

A second offender, however, is killed in a gruesome fashion, their mangled corpse left as a sign of their crimes. There is a great scene in one of the early Spawn comics by Todd McFarlane [linked here] where a particular revolting criminal lures little boys and girls to his ice cream truck, then sexually assaults and slaughters them. Spawn strings him up by chains with the note in aforementioned picture. This is, in maybe a slightly more graphic manner, how I picture Draug dealing with offenders.
    I agree I need to make him more vicious; I think, among other things, I forgot how high up in the organization he was and the latitude that afforded him. I was originally thinking more along the lines you've described but somehow didn't write it that way. I agree killing for a first infraction should be exceedingly rare because if it's an employee, they can't learn and become useful and if it's a rival, too much of that will lead to a war of sorts, but I should up the intensity of the beatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Arathnos View Post
    The second nitpick is that while I like the added power boost from him being gestalt, do you all think we should include a non-gestalt version as well, in the interest of maximizing adaptability to different campaigns? Or should we just leave that to the individual DM?
    I can probably make a non-gestalt, mainly moving hexblade to replace the crusader levels, but I'd just as soon leave him as is and you can play him at a slightly lower level if the gestalt version seems too tough.

I probably won't have time to do much of a rewrite til Saturday, but I'll try to do something then. Thanks for the feedback.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

7. - Top - End - #37

I'd just leave him as a gestalt. He works, he's scary. He is highly combat capable. In the final write up of our dear Darth Bugbard, I suggest including a list of the books where you can find the different classes he uses. That way, people unfamiliar with some of the classes (like me) won't have to spend quite as much time trawling books (like I did).

Justification of the deformed voice: something about Darth Vader singing nursery rhymes in a slightly off-key voice (only a little, it still has to be recognisable) just screams creepy to me. It also gives him something for the players to remember him by, and makes the caring about little kids aspect better. If, however, you don't like the idea, that's cool. We're after a majority view, generally adaptable villain here, so whatever seems to fit that best probably is. Individual DMs can always alter things to their own taste.
    Things I swear I didn't do on purpose:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :
    DM: Look, you can try, but you won't make it, and it'll probably end badly for you.
    Me: (rolls d20. Looks up) I get 162. Do I make it?
    DM: ...
    Other Player: I think you broke him.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

If you do use him in a non-gestalt game, you can call the ecl4 version ecl6, you can call the ecl8 version ecl12, etc.
    He'll be roughly that power level (In relation to the party) anyways, so it works.
    That way not only can you leave him gestalt, but it makes him that much more flavorful.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Why should darth bugbard have a deformed voice? I sort of like the idea of a hieously scarred bugbear with a soft, soothing voice. I think that it would be all the more creepy, especialy if he recites poetry in the middle of battles.
    I'll toss this one out there too. The hideous creature with a soothing voice plays well alongside the drug dealer and murderer who plays with children in the alleys. Also, there's something to be said for the fact that the children would have to see past his scarred face and not be frightened of him, which makes him appear even more gentle when around them, thus throwing his violence with the PC's, he is a villain after all, in relief.
    Eladrin War-Skald avi by Vrythas Thanks so much! ^_^

My Extended Signature, including Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Druid/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 13

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap! I've been sigged!
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe the reason he loves kids is tied into his deformity. Maybe when whatever burned him burned him, the kids of a nearby orphanage pulled him to safety, or ran for a cleric or something., which would make him owe them his life, and develop a huge need to protect them.

Go Tigers!

12. - Top - End - #42

I don't have a great deal to offer in terms of suggestions for Draug specifically, but I have a potentially relevant link in my sig.

13. - Top - End - #43

Owing the orphans a debt of gratitude could work, though I liked the first suggestion that it simply be because he used to be a street kid first. Just a personal preference thing, no logic, rhyme, or reason to it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    :
    DM: Look, you can try, but you won't make it, and it'll probably end badly for you.

14. - Top - End - #44

confused Re: Build-A-Baddie Workshop

Sorry for my ignorance but, what in the world is gestalt?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nopraptor View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance but, what in the world is gestalt?
    You use two classes per level, and take the best of both. The best hit dice of the two, best proficiencies of the two, all the skills of both lists, best skill points of the two, etc, and all special abilities (bonus feats, spells, rage, what-have-you). Basically you advance two classes at once. Makes for a stronger character, as well as one with alot more options

Go Tigers!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

but remember, it's the best of both, not both added together. If ever they have the same thing (and all classes have HD, BaB, etc.), it only takes the better, not adds them together.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Slightly random question but what would you call it and would it even make any sense to take 2 classes at every level like a gestalt character but instead of taking the best of the two classes you take the lesser of the two classes? (Lesser skill points, lesser BAB, etc.....)
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

18. - Top - End - #48

Oh I see so it's basically a tool to up the CR of monsters\NPC's with PC class levels?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Oh I see so it's basically a tool to up the CR of monsters\NPC's with PC class levels?

not so, its (usually) applied only to the PCs. each PC takes two calles at each level, and takes the best of everything(best saves, best BAB, all class features, etc)

20. - Top - End - #50

Doesn't that send balance flying out of the window screaming "I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!" ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Wizard (2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 11

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Doesn't that send balance flying out of the window screaming "I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!" ?
    well, yes, but the DM usually ramps up the CR of everything with 2-3 to keep balance.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

Characters with gestalt are treated as (in most games) characters of a level 1.5*theirs. A level 8 gestalt character is about the same as a level 12 non-gestalt character.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Then why do it in the first place?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Wizard (2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 11

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Then why do it in the first place?
    It makes for some interesting characters. Allows you to really customize your character. For instance, having a psionic character is one thing, having a psion/monk lets you have a more developed character and backstory and whatnot. Not that you couldn't put the same backstory, but the gestalt lets you show the crunch elements to your fluff.

Go Tigers!

25. - Top - End - #55

Basically, it just makes things more fun without slaughtering the balance quite as much (provided that the DM is competent).

Any way, back to the questions at hand: can we get final votes on a) deformed voice and body or just voice, and b) orphans saved him or he just likes them?

I vote deformed voice for a) and he just likes them for b).
    Spoiler
    Show
    :

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

My vote?
    a)deformed voice
    b)They saved him
    Any other voters?

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

a) Deformed voice that can change into a better-sounding one
    b) He just likes them
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

I think this workshop is an awesome idea, and I can easily envision Draug as being an awesome villain, the sort who definitely deserves repeat performances.

My Votes:

a) Deformed body
    b) He just likes kids

29. - Top - End - #59

Alright, so far we have:

a) Voice: 3 votes (and DMofDarkness' suggestion just makes the whole idea better), Body: 1 vote.

b) They saved him: 1 vote, Just likes kids: 3 votes.

I suggest voting close before the twentieth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    :

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

a) Deformed body
    b) Just Likes kids.

If we start up on more general villains, I have a few that I can export the concepts for quite easily. There was some interest expressed by the thread creator regarding multiple people.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.