New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Alright i've gotten a character padge up on the wiki, under the name Carver Arbern.

He is currently meandering around the School Garden section, fairly bored.
    There is good, there is Evil, and someplace inbetween.

The main difference is Evil is much more fun.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cole10000 View Post
    He is currently meandering around the School Garden section, fairly bored.
    If that's the case, you might want to make a post to that effect in the IC.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well i put up a post in the Electrokinesis Is Love IC, wondering if thats fine for all involved. I am also open to constructive criticism, I haven't done this before and am floundering a bit.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ettin in the Playground

Well i put up a post in the Electrokinesis Is Love IC, wondering if thats fine for all involved. I am also open to constructive criticism, I haven't done this before and am floundering a bit.
    Well, there is one minor factual error: The current IC day is monday and not thursday. Aside from that, there's not really anything I can add that wouldn't just be a personal opinion.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Pixie in the Playground

Say, it's not too late to join this particular RP, is it?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    Say, it's not too late to join this particular RP, is it?
    By no means. Academy City's gates never close.

Well no, that's not true; They're actually almost always closed.

But you see, that was intended to be taken figuratively. A sort of simile to illustrate the RP's attitu-Forget it. Let's start again:

It's never too late; You're free to join at any time; Welcome to the game.

What about 'The doors of the mind ar...No, that's terrible...

7. - Top - End - #697
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, here goes.

Surname:Nimori
    Given Name:Shougo
    Alias Ninja Kid
    Level 1
    Gender Male
    Age 14

Attends Onizuka Middle School

Appearance:
    Right from the get-go, Shougos' appearance is one that does not inspire a great deal of confidence in his physical ability. Standing shorter than the average Japanese male, at about 5'4, Shougo appears to be the very image of the kid who is frequently the victim of bullying. Possessed of dark hair and brown eyes, he is very much the sort who would not stand out in a crowd of people, no matter how ordinary-At least, anywhere but Academy City. Here, in the company of Espers, he sticks out like a sore thumb-Or to be more precise, the only ordinary thumb in a hand made almost entirely out of sore thumbs.

In addition, he does not appear to be from a particularly affluent family; far from it, in fact, judging from his threadbare clothing, the absence of expensive electronic items and his overall lack of money. While he may appear physically underwhelming, however, the truth is that students such as him simply do not survive long without some sort of defense against physical threat. Yes, he is a mere 'level 1 Esper' and while it is true that he is neither a particularly bulky or imposing individual, he partially makes up for this by being wiry almost beyond belief. More importantly for someone such as him, however, is a very high level of ninjutsu mastery, courtesy of his late father-The curious Nimori Harada.

Personality:
    Simply put, Shougo is a quiet and reclusive individual; that is not to say that he is brooding or antisocial, however. More accurately, it would seem that he is stifled in his interactions with others by a stilted and overly traditional view on what social conventions should be like, frequently using archaic terms such as -dono when referring to others and being overtly formal. He is, partly as a result of his rather poor upbringing, simultaneously thrifty and ashamed of his lack of wealth, a trait which when combined with his aversion to 'being in others' debt' potentially makes him difficult to approach.

Those who do make the effort to know Shougo would quickly realise that Shougo is both fatalistic and pessimistic whilst possessing a strong sense of justice and an even stronger sense of duty. If he gives his word, he will keep it, or die trying. Even if saving someone's life means risking his own, he will do it without a moments' hesitation.

Esper Ability: Charge Action
    Basic Function:
    Charge Action allows Shougo to alter the 'mass' and 'velocity' aspects of the formula P(Momentum) = MV whilst keeping P constant-Within limits, strict ones at the moment given his level. At this point of time, this ability simply allows him to move just a tad faster than normal and throw punches with great speed or, as per its' name, he can 'charge' an actions' momentum, storing it as an imaginary 'mass' until it is released as a blow which exceeds what a boy of his size should be able to deliver. He cannot yet extend this ability to projectiles, and his power is currently vastly limited in just how much can be 'charged' or converted at once; it can be compared to holding a weight using just your mind. The stored 'imaginary mass' is not subject to gravity and for all intents and purposes has 'disappeared' until called forth again.

Additional Uses:
    Allows a focused Shougo slightly more agility than he normally would have, particularly with regards to freerunning.

Physical Traits:
    Ninjutsu Skill: As mentioned above, Shougo possesses a very high level of skill with regards to his family's ninjutsu, a skill his father rigorously drummed into him until his recent demise. Even still, Shougo still practices it frequently, conditioning his body in the process.
    Fast: Even without his ability, Shougo is quick, even by the standards of other martial artists. He is also capable of a degree of freerunning or parkour, although he has never formally been taught it. He picked up what he knows by attempting to follow his fathers' urban escapades in the past. Still, while he is quick, a lack of formal teaching means that he cannot truly compete with a parkour master and hope to win.
    Fit: Thanks to his hard training, Shougo possesses markedly more stamina than the average high school student.

Mental Traits:
    Determined: When Shougo promises something, he will try his hardest to deliver. Choosing not to does not enter his mind.
    Technologically Backward: Shougo...Possesses a frightening lack of technological proficiency especially given the setting, to be frank. He needs to think about how to use a phone and computers confound him.
    Academically Poor: For various reasons, Shougo isn't particularly academically successful-A fact which is quite ashamed of.

Edit: Whoops, I got the 'momentum' and 'kinetic energy' formulae mixed up.
    Last edited by Lord-Cao-Cao; 2011-10-30 at 10:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok nice very nice, but you might want to put that onto the wiki, there's a link to it in the OP.
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-10-30 at 01:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations on a comprehensive and competently crafted character sheet. Shougo looks like he'll make a fine addition to the cast.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    What about 'The doors of the mind ar...No, that's terrible...
    Especially considering how many people can throw up a mental barrier.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Pixie in the Playground

Done. Also, I noticed that the first page stated that Academy City had a population of 1.8 million...Wasn't it 2.3?

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Cao-Cao View Post
    Done. Also, I noticed that the first page stated that Academy City had a population of 1.8 million...Wasn't it 2.3?
    Since that particular passage was emphasising the rarity of Level 5s, it was probably referring to the student population (which is indeed 1.8 million).

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    I already posted for Jane days ago.
    Sorry, I didn't notice.

We still need Silverraptor to post, I think. Or could do you think we could skip a little further along?

Speaking of skipping, welcome Lord-Cao-Cao! Shougo looks great to me too. Although he does overlap a bit with Katsu's powers, they are different enough and the two are very unlike in all other aspects.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick note: If possible, an we try to avoid gathering too many characters in one place? This is something that's been happening a lot, and it rarely ends well. It would be nice if we could have a variety of scenes playing out at the same time, rather than relying on a single one to carry the whole game.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ettin in the Playground

...He takes a moment to look Frank in the eyes and use his ability to create an illusion of him running further down the hall while he tries to get into the cupboard

he has the illusion to eventually lead Frank outside and once he is he has another timed ilsuion to show him on the roof of the building showing him saying this (with the exact same voice)...
    Wait wait wait wait wait. Carver doesn't need to directly control what his illusions do? I assumed that his power worked by implanting perceptions of his choosing in someone's mind, rather than specifying some general idea and letting the target fill in the blanks. Can he really just say 'My illusion runs through the building' and have it react realistically, even when it leaves his sight?

16. - Top - End - #706
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes he can, The inital time he does need to meet someone's eyes to create the illusion, but after that the direct contact is not needed until at least one hour later or if the illusion travels more than 50m,

while he can simply set an illusion to go out on a specific task and act accordingly, he is also able to conciously control as to how the illusion acts when he feels it neccisicary, but to do so he would have to know what's going on to be able to change it accordingly. (such as having a basic understanding or sightline of the situation.)

I'll define it better on the Wiki in a little bit.
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-10-31 at 04:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes he can, The inital time he does need to meet someone's eyes to create the illusion, but after that the direct contact is not needed until at least one hour later or if the illusion travels more than 50m,

while he can simply set an illusion to go out on a specific task and act accordingly, he is also able to conciously control as to how the illusion acts when he feels it neccisicary, but to do so he would have to know what's going on to be able to change it accordingly. (such as having a basic understanding or sightline of the situation.)
    This is exactly the sort of detail that should have been in the power's description from the beginning. If it had been, I'd have been able to object to it then, rather than holding up the game by doing it now. IMHO, the ability to create autonomous illusions which can last for up to an hour is far beyond what a Level 4 Esper should be able to accomplish. Putting aside the ridiculous duration, Carver shouldn't be able to simply wish such a complex thing into being without some serious planning. If he's able to do things like this with merely a thought, then his ability is (again, IMHO) much too powerful.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-10-31 at 04:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Dwarf in the Playground

Updated the description of his ability, tell me what you think of it.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Updated the description of his ability, tell me what you think of it.
    The new version is certainly more descriptive, but it doesn't fix the basic problem. The main issue here is that Carver's illusions can act too freely without his intervention. He (yet again, IMHO) shouldn't be able to just wish one instantly into existence and have it realistically follow a complex route which he can't see and hasn't measured. With that sort of slipshot effort, the thing should be running through walls and turning corners which haven't arrived yet. I have no problem with him instantly creating realistic illusions that are under his direct control; It's just that I think the ones which he can't oversee should be much more sloppy.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-10-31 at 04:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Sorry, I didn't notice.

We still need Silverraptor to post, I think. Or could do you think we could skip a little further along?

Speaking of skipping, welcome Lord-Cao-Cao! Shougo looks great to me too. Although he does overlap a bit with Katsu's powers, they are different enough and the two are very unlike in all other aspects.
    I did post. He's watching from the security cameras.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I said, It will react reasonably to Certain situations, and based on Carver's perception of what is happening, can alter what the illusion does.

Example, when carver first created the illusion to lure Frank, he did so with a set goal in mind, to lure Frank outside.

With Carver's basic knowledge of the layout of the building from walking around it earlier, it would react accordingly to what Carver knows. Much of this is admittedly unconcious but still occurs, and if Carver has no prior knowledge of something the illusion will have no reaction to such.

Admittedly, yes some things are impossible to create instantaneously, but again much of his ability relies upon his knowledge, do you need to elaborately think about what you look like? No you most oftenly can simply think of something you know about and an image will spring to your mind. That is in essence is what happens. While yes I may not have been as descriptive of this as possible I dont think of it as overpowered as you say, an illusion is only as effective as long as one believes it to be real, if one knows it to be an illusion the effectiveness it has quickly fades.

Another limitation to it's effectiveness is that you need direct eye contact, ergo sunglasses effectively nullify his ability and anyone prepared to deal with him as such would be able to easily avoid his ability.

Just my opinion though.
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-10-31 at 05:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

...With Carver's basic knowledge of the layout of the building from walking around it earlier, it would react accordingly to what Carver knows. Much of this is admittedly unconcious but still occurs, and if Carver has no prior knowledge of something the illusion will have no reaction to such...
    But that's precisely the point: Carver doesn't have the necessary knowledge to pull this sort of thing off. He may know the general layout of the building, but does he know how long each hallway is? Does he know exactly how far the illusion needs to run before turning a corner? Is he familiar with the height of each step on the staircases such that the illusion can climb them convincingly? If he doesn't have precise measurements of all these things that he can't see, then the deception will be unmasked almost immediately. It's like playing a game of 3-dimensional blindfolded 'Operation' via remote control.

Again, I have no problem with Carver instantly creating complex illusions; As you said, that sort of thing would be second nature to him. But by the same token, guiding them blindly in any significant way should be a serious challenge.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, yes I can see your point there, my mindset was on something completely else entirely. Thanks for pointing that out I hadn't thought of that and will make sure to keep it in mind whenever my charactcter does something with his ability.

(P.S I'm kind of waiting on Moroe's reaction on Carver trying to get into the supply cupboard)
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-10-31 at 06:02 PM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ettin in the Playground

(P.S I'm kind of waiting on Moroe's reaction on Carver trying to get into the supply cupboard)
    It's on its way. I was just waiting in case we had to retcon anything. And by the way, the door's not locked, so I'll just assume that Cole opened it and ducked inside.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

...also keep an eye out for a girl he's been associateing with recently. We don't know anything beyond that she goes to Onizuka middle school.
    There doesn't really seem to be a way for these people to know what school Moroe attends without knowing who she is, at least not by observing her connection with Souji. The two of them have only met twice, and neither meeting had any real clues about her school in it (besides eliminating Tokiwadai from the list). In order to have found that fact out, they'd have to have already located or identified her.

Also, assuming that they got this lead from the first meeting, wouldn't Krystal be on the list as well? She spent even more time with him than Moroe did.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well these people may very well not be the ones wanting the infornmation, if you check the recently editited history on Carver you'll see as to how they would know "of" a girl he associates with, but not anything about her.

I want to kind of leave it up to mystery, especially considering even Carver doesn't know.
    Last edited by Cole10000; 2011-10-31 at 10:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I see.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Pixie in the Playground

Would it be acceptable if I 'butted into' this part? Just afraid of creating a mess with 'too many people in the same vicinity in the same event' as Anyr said.

Apologies if I seem rather inexperienced, I've never actually forum RP'd before.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't worry about it, so am I, and personally I don't mind if you join in, I can't speak for the others though.

To recap for you if you do decide to join.

currently

Souji has locked himself in the PA room ranting about how someone bought the ramen he wanted. Frank is off chasing an Illusion Carver has created, and Moroe and Carver are both trapped in a locked very cramped closet.

sounds kind of crazy when you think about it huh.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

No objections here. By all means, pick a scene that suits you and settle into the RP.